F@NB0Y$
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Default Man Of Steel

New Superman movie. Directed by Zack Snyder. Produced by Christopher Nolan. Set for summer 2013 release.

Same trailer twice in one video. Only differences are voice overs. Russell Crowe as Jor-El does the first, while Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent does the second.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
DiscoVader
CRYSTALS ARE INTEGRAL

Send a message via AIM to DiscoVader Send a message via MSN to DiscoVader Send a message via Skype™ to DiscoVader

Huh. I'm actually kind of interested in this now. Normally I don't really give a crap about anything Superman related.

Behold, my mastery of the mammal haiku!
Platinum: 0860 9533 3376|HeartGold: 3052 0550 5705
DiscoVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Don't really have my hopes up, and the additions of Crowe and Costner don't do much for me. Zack Snyder particularly doesn't. But hey, Christopher Nolan. Maybe it won't suck.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Hoogie
STYLE

New trailer. New hopes. I'm excited. I want this to be good.

Oh I never mentioned that in the first trailer the Jor-El voice over has a line from All-Star Superman in it. That is the main thing getting me optimistic about the movie.

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Nuva
yes i vape

Annnnnnd most anticipated film of next year is go for me

Henry is pulling off the costume. And he does have a sense of being powerful but restrain whenever we see him.

Only thing I kinda hope is we don't suffer from exaggerated camera shaking. Movie looks to not have that, but still.

Last edited by Nuva; 12-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Oh fuck yes, this is looking good.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Rud
Billions and billions

Send a message via AIM to Rud Send a message via MSN to Rud

Jonathan Kent, Clark's moral compass: Son, maybe you shoulda let everyone die.

Seriously though this looks very good.
Rud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Haven
the Ever Smiling

Knowing Christopher Nolan, this is going to be awesome but you just know that people are going to point out all the plot holes.
Or maybe it will be different because he's producing.

(please read it!)
Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
StevenFC
The Butt Stallion

My hopes of ever seeing a bearded Superman outside of the DCAU are once again shattered.

Oh Goddammit
StevenFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
That Frood

It's superman so I'm invested.
That Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Kiwi Byrde
Spess Goast

Send a message via MSN to Kiwi Byrde

Wow, okay. The things I've been hearing about this made me pretty sure this was going to suck, and I don't have a looot of confidence in Zack Snyder. But those trailers look promising.
Kiwi Byrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Nuva
yes i vape

I wonder if they'll connect it to Batman honestly.

I mean, I can sorta see this movie being the lead into a DC movie universe but not the Batman trilogy. That's on its own closed off. Maybe.

But then I just want to see a Justice League movie.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Nuva
yes i vape

The biggest problem this film has is establishing constant themes, characterization, and even narrative. Even though its two hours, the more important scenes feel rushed. I feel like they were trying to fit in the origins of Superman along with his history and his future all into one movie, which was way too fucking much and without the details to be cemented out, makes the film feel very devoid of the charm of its icon.

I mean, on the plus side, the movie does a good job of being pretty. I liked the Smallville bits. Minus the stupidity of the tornado scene. An important element to Superman rarely explored is how he is literally a walking God, and seeing him trying to understand who he is kinda made me wish the movie stayed this route. But then the contradictions between the two fathers start and their influence on Superman is just...awful. Superman at no point in this movie does anything of his own regard. He does it because his dad told him so. There is a lack of drive behind his actions and it constantly bothered me. Not to mention how awfully monotone he was.

I guess frankly, I think it was a disappointing portrayal of the character.

Which brings us to the others.

Lois Lane? Good job. Strong independent woman. Isn't stupid. Loved it.

Not sure why the fuck she fell in love with Superman all of a sudden. That felt so hamfisted. Yes, their relationship is iconic. But you know, at least consider for a moment there was NO establishing factor before the kiss that they even felt this way towards one another.

General Zod and his crew were top notch. I felt sorry for Zod somehow. Faora was hot. She had a couple of bad lines but she delivered them well.

Let me say that while I think the action scenes in Man of Steel was a very good direction and generally how I would have pictured a Kryptonian fight, they really felt inappropriate and clashed with the first half of the film. I felt like I was watching a different movie or something. It was just weird.

Still, as far as everything goes, I liked the movie. Soundtrack is good so I'll be taking a listen to that again. I am kinda sad they won't be making a direct sequel to this. They had something here. If they just fix the direction for next time. Maybe replace Cavill?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
BananaBuddy

Michael Shannon was amazing. He IS amazing. In anything.
The one thing I was looking forward to in the film was a tragic character in Zod, and that's what I got; a man whose only fault was loving his people desperately.

People complain about how it all ended, but I was rather surprised. Heartbroken, even. It took my breath away, what happened. I swear to God, I almost wept.

Now, the CONS.

You disliked how the Superman character was portrayed, but... I have to say, I was disappointed with how all of the characters in the film were developed. Quite frankly, there WAS no development.

To be honest, I would have rather seen a whole movie exploring more about Clark Kent's childhood, his relationship with his parents and how he becomes the pillar of moral strength that he is. Honestly, that's what's always intrigued me about the character. I would have gladly waited for a second film to see Superman fights. I love Superman, he is, hands down, my favorite superhero of all time. But his powers are boring. His character is what intrigues me. But that's me. I doubt anyone else would watch a film focusing on that.

But whatever. Also, I've come to realize that Lois Lane is almost impossible to cast. I can't think of a single actor who could portray her.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
Nuva
yes i vape

Zod surprisingly gets a lot of development.

We learn that he was forced his role instead of being the tyrant that Jor-El kept imposing, and he would go out of his way to insure the survival of his people. At no point did I feel like he wanted to control "the family lines", which is never ever displayed by the character.

He was well written and well performed.

But yes, they all have zero character development.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
BananaBuddy

While the film was severely lacking, I have to say, I didn't hate it.

I went in, expecting certain things, and I got them. I can't really complain.

I mean, I can complain about Clark Kent all I want, but at least his past was touched on. That's more than previous movies ever did.