F@NB0Y$
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default Rules

So I have a few objections to the new rules.

One aspect that I liked of the old rules is that it actually governed conduct in a fair way(feel free to disagree, blah blah blah) and these ones don't really.

Quote:
1. Obey the Mods and Admins. Failure to do so means you're getting a temp ban at least. Learn to not fight with the people in charge of stopping fights.
This is my biggest objection. This is saying "Well you're a fucking dog listen to your master". Newsflash: The staff is frequently wrong, shortsighted, and petty. If I disagree with someone, it doesn't matter if their name is in red, I'm still going to voice my opinion, and there is no way I deserve a ban for disagreeing with someone. Be respectful? Listen when they tell me I've stepped over the line? Sure. Not OBEY.

Personally I've had nearly the entire staff pick a fight with me one time or another. If I or any other poster chooses to stand up for themselves, they would be in violation of this rule. How is that okay?

Quote:
8. Religion / Politics: Be realistic, no one is ever going to change their beliefs on these things through a forums debate, so let's not even bother having them. Steer clear of these things if you enjoy posting here.
We have a politics thread. If I'm interpreting this rule correctly, you get banned for posting relevant discussion topics in that thread now? Thats how I'm interpreting what I bolded, and that seems very very off to me.

Quote:
9. Tolerance: We're a very accepting forum, however we don't accept bigotry. Attacking anyone for their skin color, orientation, religious beliefs, disablities or anything of the sort will result in a permenant ban.
You misspelled both disabilities and permanent.

Also this rule is very nebulous. It is very okay to call someone a faggot, even repeatedly on this forum. A bunch of other slurs are also AOK. Certain ones are not however. The part I bolded also makes it discretion based, and technically you could be banned for attacking someone for anything, because it is not clearly defined.

Anyways thats my take.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!
Moderator
 
Addy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,477
Default

There's a reason why I never take things at face value. I'm not entirely certain that these were meant to be.

Howeva, I see your point. Though the discussion of religion on the forums has been pretty much disallowed for as long as I can remember because people tend to turn into faggots (lol) when that gets thrown into the mix.
__________________
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
There's a reason why I never take things at face value. I'm not entirely certain that these were meant to be.

Howeva, I see your point. Though the discussion of religion on the forums has been pretty much disallowed for as long as I can remember because people tend to turn into faggots (lol) when that gets thrown into the mix.
Thats the only way to interpret rules. You can be lax in enforcing them sure, but the way the rules can potentially be enforced needs to be fair.

It isn't disallowed exactly as far as I can tell. It is discussable but I don't think you can argue.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
Gabby
Sleepy
 
Gabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 93
Send a message via ICQ to Gabby Send a message via AIM to Gabby Send a message via MSN to Gabby Send a message via Yahoo to Gabby Send a message via Skype™ to Gabby
Default

Addy's pretty spot on. I guess I have to clarify it for people who take things a bit too word for word. We have a politics thread, that's fine, it means politics stay in the damn thread, I don't wanna walk in one day to some heated religious or political debate in the depository though, you people know where to go for that.

Tolerance, is pretty much motive. We call each other faggots, etc, all the time, it's in good fun. If you go around trolling some user for something like that you don't like gays or they're black and you're a redneck however, you'll be dealt with.

As for Rule #1, it's your standard rule on any forums, if a mod says cut something out, you do it, you don't hold a debate and a poll on whether you should stop doing something like say, and I'll use the VGCats reference, neckdick floods. Rule #1 is for use within reason, not so a mod can abuse their power, but rather so when they have to make a call and give a warning, they're allowed to act on said warning. This isn't about not being allowed to stand up for yourself, this is about dicks who can't take a warning seriously when they're just being dicks.

That's all.

Clarified things in the rules, btw, go take a look.
__________________
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

So maybe the rule should let people know they should post in the politics thread?

So you are telling me that it is up to your discretion on what someone's motive is? So if it is all in good fun it is fine to call someone whatever you wish to call them? What if your motive isn't to be offensive, but the other person gets offended? Is that some sort of grey area?

That isn't what the rule says. The rule says do not fight with mods or admins. It does not say listen to them or do what they say when they are acting in a moderating capacity. And you know what? Even when they are, they can be wrong. As long as you are civil and logical about the situation, you should not be banned for having a disagreement just because the mod is finished arguing. The rule is not, "don't be a dick to be a dick". That isn't what it says.

Going to go read the clarified rules.

Edit:
They are still bad. And why not just simply link to the politics thread?
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!
Moderator
 
Addy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,477
Default

It's usually pretty easy to tell when somebody's being malicious with what they're saying or when they're just messing around.

Everything else I dunno I haven't read the new rules yet
__________________
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
It's usually pretty easy to tell when somebody's being malicious with what they're saying or when they're just messing around.
"usually"

Also I don't know why the rules can't be a group effort. I'd feel more comfortable if they weren't just one person making shit up off the top of their head.

Maybe thats just me though. *shrug*
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!
Moderator
 
Addy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 15,477
Default

I can agree with you there!
__________________
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator
 
Profanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,870
Default

The rules are the same as they have always been. Nobody came up with these rules but Gabby, and, she's not in charge of that to any degree at all.
Profanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profanity View Post
The rules are the same as they have always been. Nobody came up with these rules but Gabby, and, she's not in charge of that to any degree at all.
Cool shit.

But yeah my whole reasoning behind this was that I'm writing the new newbie guide, and I'm supposed to direct people to the rules. And these rules were horribly written. I'm not going to direct people to read these things and believe in them if I don't do so myself.

vote for old rules!
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
Gabby
Sleepy
 
Gabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 93
Send a message via ICQ to Gabby Send a message via AIM to Gabby Send a message via MSN to Gabby Send a message via Yahoo to Gabby Send a message via Skype™ to Gabby
Default

Someone mind being helpful and listing the old rules? Suggesting new ones?

Is there anything bad besides a missing link now Ves? "They are still bad" isn't exactly clarity put into word form.
__________________
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator
 
Profanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,870
Default

Using the old rules Krud wrote up would be a simple fetch if the old boards weren't locked out to anyone but Administrators.
Profanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Is there anything bad besides a missing link now Ves? "They are still bad" isn't exactly clarity put into word form.
Basically you just kinda shoved my ideas into existing rules that you had written.

Which is a bit dumb, and now they are unclear and read awkwardly.

However I'm not really in the mood to point out how rules should be written when they shouldn't exist in the first place. I had assumed in good faith(oh silly me) that the rules weren't just you doing your bullshit powergrab stuff you do every once in a while, and were something that was actually approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profanity View Post
Using the old rules Krud wrote up would be a simple fetch if the old boards weren't locked out to anyone but Administrators.
Thats pretty fucking hilarious.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Gabby
Sleepy
 
Gabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 93
Send a message via ICQ to Gabby Send a message via AIM to Gabby Send a message via MSN to Gabby Send a message via Yahoo to Gabby Send a message via Skype™ to Gabby
Default

It wasn't a power grab, cut the crap. People were asking about rules so I made a set. Recovering the old rules now.
__________________
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

The thing is... making rules isn't your job. I had asked you on at least 3 separate occasions to port the old ones over. I WAS THOSE PEOPLE.

There is such a thing as too much initiative. You used a lot when 0 was needed.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
Gabby
Sleepy
 
Gabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 93
Send a message via ICQ to Gabby Send a message via AIM to Gabby Send a message via MSN to Gabby Send a message via Yahoo to Gabby Send a message via Skype™ to Gabby
Default

There were others, you really have a big head thinking it's all you.

And yeah, maybe too much initiative on my part. Old rules are up. One tiny clarification added in by me, though it's clearly labeled, hope daring to suggest we use spoiler tags isn't showing my evil plans for a coup d'état... OH SHI---
__________________
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

My point was I didn't see anyone bring it up as much as me.

Not maybe, was. And if you don't see a pattern to your behavior in regards to this community, then thats probably why you don't get why a lot of people here don't like you. I mean I guess you assume the sarcasm is warranted because you are dealing with me, but when I'm trying to be serious with you and help the forum, that shit is a slap in the face. So yeah, fuck you. This is the last time I give you the benefit of the doubt.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
Gabby
Sleepy
 
Gabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 93
Send a message via ICQ to Gabby Send a message via AIM to Gabby Send a message via MSN to Gabby Send a message via Yahoo to Gabby Send a message via Skype™ to Gabby
Default

Cuz it's not a slap in the face to see half the things you guys say right to my face while trying to help. I don't have feelings that can get hurt or anything right?

I've got a lot I could say, I try to hold back, I shouldn't have to feel shitty for doing work for free. I'm really tired of the accusations and the crap I have to take from people around here when I'm putting so much time and energy into this. Is it too much to ask for a little courtesy?
__________________
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator
 
Profanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,870
Default

Yeah. 'cuz you don't behave like a person. Kinda tired of that route with you at this point.
Profanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #20
Ves
The Human
 
Ves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Cuz it's not a slap in the face to see half the things you guys say right to my face while trying to help. I don't have feelings that can get hurt or anything right?

I've got a lot I could say, I try to hold back, I shouldn't have to feel shitty for doing work for free. I'm really tired of the accusations and the crap I have to take from people around here when I'm putting so much time and energy into this. Is it too much to ask for a little courtesy?
I don't see anyone going out of their way to protect my feelings or anyone elses. Your position does not make you untouchable. Learn to live with it.

If you are willing to accept the praise both due and undue you have to be willing to accept the criticism both due and undue. No one is forcing you to do this, you can quit whenever you want to.

Basically you can't create work for yourself unnecessarily, then get butthurt about people not liking the results. That isn't how things work.

I know we talked over MSN, but I didn't see this post and I wanted to respond to it.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #21
That Frood
Senior Member
 
That Frood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,401
Default

This forum doesn't operate by rules, more by spontaneous order. Any rules written up will be stretched and broken. Banning occurs not because of some sort of direct, constitutional violation of the rules, but because the mods felt uncomfortable about someone. If the rules ever become a problem, they can be changed, otherwise, mods here don't involve themselves too much in the regulation of the forum. I don't think the rules are a pressing issue, arguing about them seems silly.
I agree that the current rules aren't very good, as in, they're not loophole proof or anything, but they're never given any attention anyway. Making them perfect seems kind of like a waste of time.
That Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #22
Smythe
D:
 
Smythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham, England
Posts: 537
Send a message via MSN to Smythe
Default

The not discussing religion thing is the only rule I really remember being strictly enforced. Although, I don't think anyone has really pushed it. Same goes for racism I guess.
__________________
Smythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator
 
Profanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,870
Default

shut the fuck up whitey
Profanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
Smythe
D:
 
Smythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham, England
Posts: 537
Send a message via MSN to Smythe
Default

Cracker motherfucker.
__________________
Smythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #25
Rud
Billions and billions
 
Rud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 6,655
Send a message via AIM to Rud Send a message via MSN to Rud
Default

You can't fucking say cracker. That's our word!
Rud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #26
Smythe
D:
 
Smythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham, England
Posts: 537
Send a message via MSN to Smythe
Default

You honkey son of a bitch
__________________
Smythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #27
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator
 
Profanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veserius View Post
Newsflash: The staff is frequently wrong
btw this doesn't apply to me
Profanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #28
sals
Science, my boy!
 
sals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 7,113
Default

There are rules here?
sals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #29
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis
 
Auntie Grieves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 5,930
Default

Wow. A fire eater has to eat fire, even if he has to stir it up himself.
__________________
Auntie Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forums Rules Gabby Community Announcements 0 04-18-2009 11:30 PM
RP Section Rules Gabby The Hobby Shop 0 04-18-2009 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.