F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Computers > Massively Multiplayer

Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Nuva
yes i vape

Default The Secret World of Richard Scarry

Game is on sale.

Now no subscription required. Buy the game and play.

Factions are chosen during character creation and are permanent; there are no restrictions for race, ethnicity, or abilities.
The three factions are designed to be equal and balanced in power and ability, but faction specific special abilities do exist.
The goal in choosing a faction is for players to pick based on the ideals and mindsets of the group as a whole, rather than the one with the most powerful abilities.

Each joinable faction has a headquarters where players can gather, find vendors and trainers, and other facilities.
The Dragon in Seoul, South Korea, the Illuminati in New York, United States, and the Templars in London, England.

In PvE, players of all factions are allowed to group together and finish missions. PvP will pit the factions against each other.
Players will be distinctive by both faction and role as everyone will be wearing uniforms.

Furthermore, despite any similarities to real life, all factions in The Secret World are purely fictional.
They are not tied to any religion or mindset in the real world.

Quote:
Manipulators and conspirators, the Dragon have survived for millennia by playing their enemies against each other.
Since before the first empire, through the aggression of the Mongol Khans and the ebb and tide of the political change,
a whisper in the right ear, a strategic assassination, alliance carefully crafted and broken - and the world eventually
bends to the patient will of the immortal Dragon.

With a spiritual and philosophical approach to the secret crafts, as an acolyte of the Dragon you are taught to listen,
shown how to teach others, and expected to respect the balance of the universe and to be humble in the face of fate.
Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

Few know of the Dragon and their long history, and that is how the Dragon want it. You are invisible but pervasive,
silent but all-knowing, and when the other secret societies have decimated each other, you will rebuild the world from
the ruins of their arrogance.

The Dragon is too easily underestimated, but those who do so live to regret it - or die before they get the chance.

Quote:
Notorious bad boys and girls of the secret world, the Illuminati are also the most ambitious, cut-throat and
furtive of the secret societies. From the gilded halls of the ancient pharaohs to the private clubs and the decadent
parties of the famously rich and egocentrically famous, from leaders of industry and Hollywood agents to
presidents and popes, the Illuminati have weaved their intricate web with ruthless cunning and acute skill.

They rule their corporate pyramid with cold opportunism, and only the strongest members survive.
Their secrets can make you rich and powerful beyond compare - or they may destroy your soul and sanity with it.
The Illuminati seek to plunder heaven and hell by any means necessary, and god help those who stand in their way.

As a member of the Illuminati, you don't play by anybody's rules. There are no rules. There is no honour.

There is only victory.

Quote:
Crusaders. Judges. The Holy Terror. The Templars are the world's least secretive secret society.
Their military-ideological machine has operated in plain sight since Babylon - a matter of pride, or moral superiority.
Conspiracy theorists, obsessed with the minor 'Knights Templar' offshoot, underestimate the Templars' true European empire.
Private armies. Members of parliaments. Royal families.

The Templars believe they will deliver the world from evil by force, and even their opponents,
who call them zealots and warmongers, can not deny that force. As an agent of the Templars you are not just fighting
the war on darkness, you "are" the war on darkness. Suave and sophisticated, but brutal and uncompromising,
you use history as a weapon to shape the future.

Few will stand in the way of the Templars' banner. Do you have the will to stand behind it?

Abilities are what players can unlock on the ability wheel and then inter-change as they progress in the world.
Players can only have fourteen abilities available to them at any one time, seven active and seven passive, but have the option to change which
abilities they use as long as they are outside of combat.

The Secret World has, at last count, 525 abilities which are divided into 9 weapons.

Melee

Hammer - Damage and Survivability
Fists - Damage and Healing
Blades - Damage and Survivability

Ranged

Assault Rifles - Damage and Healing
Pistols - Damage and Support
Shotguns - Damage and Support

Magic

Blood Magic - Damage and Healing
Chaos - Damage and Survivability
Elementalism - Damage and Support

Your character, however, only has access to 7 active and 7 passive abilities at one time. If you’re coming from a regular MMO background
it can seem a bit limiting to only have 7 and 7 abilities, as oposed to the 25 or so you’re probabyl used to having,
but if you give it a chance you’ll see that The Secret World could never have been any other way

Investigation
Investigation Missions, or Puzzle Missions, are a type of mission unique to The Secret World. They will ask players to do everything from code-breaking on locks,
hacking into computers, or even research on the internet. An in-game browser will be included, for out-of-game research methods similar to that of ARG's.

Ranking
Ranking missions are faction specific. It is unclear whether these missions are a type of main or a type of story. At this time we do not know if Ranking missions
occupy their own category within the game.

Action
Action missions require the player to perform tasks such as defeating enemies, fighting back invading forces, and discovering behaviors and weaknesses
of certain monsters. Map markers or waypoints will appear in some action missions, but not all.

Sabotage
Sabotage missions require stealth game play. They involve sneaking, evading, and hacking in enemy bases and utilities in order to disrupt their efficiency.
Traps can be enabled/disabled by players to hinder or assist players in their actions.

Dungeon
Dungeon missions give you access to the dungeons. These are repeatable, and unlike the other mission types, they are not on a timer, so can run the same
dungeon back-to-back.

Item
These are "flavor" missions that tie back into the story mission. They are obtained by using an item found in the world, rather than speaking to an NPC.

Forget everything you thought you knew about the world, and embark on a journey through the secret world.
Explore real and mythical locations, from primordial forests to bustling city streets, from secret research facilities to alternate dimensions.

Additional to the three hub cities, there will be three regions to visit for the players, each divided into several big adventure zones.
Those zones contain Missions, Dungeons, Lairs and Lair bosses. Exploration is key to solve the mysteries and to get to know each area.
The Storyline drags the player through the regions and zones, but there are no restrictions of where to go and when!
The player may encounter dark forces he can not fight yet, as there will be the need for better gear and knowledge to defeat the creatures.

The rules of engagement are set and regulated by the Council of Venice who control the interactions of the three societies
by dictating the rule-set and location of each battle. At each location, the three factions battle for control ancient relics.

There is no open world PvP and there will not be separate server rule set for PvP and PvE.

Battlefields
Battlefieds, also called arenas and mini-games, are matches of instanced PvP, each having certain rule sets about team size and
winning conditions. Factions bonuses and buffs from battlefields will contribute toward winning warzones

Persistent Warzones
The Fusang Projects requires players to gain control of "ancient relics that contain great magic."
The objectives for the zone include gaining control of anima wells, which allow the faction to create anima charges, powerful spells capable of doing large amounts of damage,
which are used to blow open the temple gates while holding off the other faction attempting to complete the same objectives.
Then attackers must make their way to the heart of the temple, holding off defenders, where an ancient automaton, from the third age, must be battled and disabled.
An attack on the temple is successful when the automaton changes from the defending faction's color to the attacker's.
At this point the attackers would hold 2 of the 3 objectives for the war zone, which is still officially held by the defenders.
Persistent Warzones are Dimension specific.

Fight Clubs
TSW will feature areas called "fight clubs" which are located in each of the games main hubs (New York, London and Seoul) where players can engage in FFA PvP.
They have described these areas as self policed and have stated that one faction can take over a different faction's fight club, requiring the home faction to kick them out.

Last edited by Nuva; 06-22-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Nuva
yes i vape

I like this game. When I made this thread, they updated so that the majority of the content is easily soloable. I've currently reached Transylvania after finishing up Egypt so I'll be taking a break to work on stuff.

They are currently putting mounts into the game. By mounts, they are going to make it equivalent to a "sprinting upgrade". In this game, in order to run faster, which is its own separate movement toggled by pressing x, you go to your faction vender to purchase an upgrade. Currently there are three sprinting upgrades, the last one being very obviously faster and vital if you wish to speedrun certain repeatable quests to get the achievement for beating them under a time limit.

Its not a good MMORPG. It might be because I chose a somewhat decently filled server but it feels more like I'm playing the likes of whatever type of RPG Dragon Quest: Inqusition would be. I guess a super RPG?

Outside of that, it could be. The dungeons are fun. I know what I'm doing in them and its not hard to get a group and the community is insanely friendly and willing to join if you ask. Anybody that joins the game should immediately type "/chat join sanctuary" in order to get the most populated channel.

It has its flaws obviously. I can see where it dropped the ball in comparison to WoW and Final Fantasy XIV. The factions are split into their own cities: New York, London, and Seoul. Seoul has practically no reason to visit it outside of faction related reasons (which are cut off from access to other factions). New York has surgery (which I never saw as an option before in an MMORPG) and London has the post office, bank, auction houses, barbershop, and fashion vendors. Seoul was supposed to have a tattoo shop but it was never put in.

I'm not a fan of its sneaking missions. NPC placement can be very buggy, being temporarily when you realize the path was rigged and you respawn again to go through it for said bugged obstacle to disappear, to permanent where the only fix they accommodated with was cheating the quest and giving you a disguise for despite the fact it was obvious the quest was intended to be completed by timed path patrols.

There are some optimization issues. WoW might have started to annoy me with how I would warp to locations and it would take several seconds to even a solid minute for NPCs to spawn, but anima leaping in The Secret World tends to give me a few seconds of having to look at the ugliest textures of all time while loading up the world around you. Its very badly implemented because anima leaping was introduced to lessen the burden of travel but it makes you see dynamic loading at its lowest point. There are frame rate issues despite my high-end rig but it tends to disappear when I run the game in Full Screen. There are issues with certain video cards and running the game at DirectX 9 or 11. Radeon hates 11. Nvidia hates 9.

I kinda wish animations had more variety. I kinda wish the game was more populated.

However.

This is the best writing I've ever seen in an MMORPG. I like World of Warcraft. I like Final Fantasy XIV. They are properly well-implemented MMORPGS, but this game kicks both of them in the crotch with how well it handles its narrative and presentation. Every character you meet has their own bits of dialogue to build the world around you. The lore, which you can easily read here is some of the best examples of world building I've seen. I'm talking managing to top Betheseda in world building. There are always something going on in the background. The characters, themselves, are very well handled.

I could go on and on about investigation missions. They are easily my favorite thing in the game. I've deciphered different ciphers and had to go through translators to understand exotic languages like Hebrew and even utilizing the Egyptian numeral system in hieroglyphics to complete certain puzzles. The game handles itself very differently and its honestly different. Its Myst lite in a way. And it has been a while where I actually am stumped by what I am supposed to do and having to actually research and learn in order to progress.

An example would be having to find a sheet of music attributed to a composer based off a sequence of four notes and so having to know what each note means in terms of pitch.

Or having to decipher Arabic into English into Hebrew while following a historical parallel in translation.

Or having to decipher morse code for a series of coordinates.

I do wish the game wasn't an MMORPG. It would have been a brilliant franchise. Outside of issues, which are the game's equivalent of DLC, most stuff on the store are unessential boosters or outfits (which by the way would make you think the actual game doesn't have any proper outfits since of an item store, but there is an excellent variety of choice. Not to mention the deck outfits look pretty good.)

I really like it. Its a gem that needs a bit more polishing down the road but I heavily recommend it.

It also has excellent atmosphere. Anyways. Here's some pictures.

Spoiler for Screenshots:

Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Nuva
yes i vape

Spoiler for More pics:

Old 05-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Nuva
yes i vape

Issues are essentially extra flavor missions (except 9,10,and 11 are mainline for the story) and I got 7 with the free shop money they give you after completing thirty quests.

Its really good. Like the quality is insanely obvious when you hit new stuff. Orochi is really starting shit up and stealing kids after adopting Soviet Union secrets from an old bunker. I got in by cutting off an agent's hand and scooping out an eyeball.

Not sure where its all leading up or how its connected to whatever is going on in Tokyo but the abominations in the vampire hoarded Transylvania are turning out to be poor little kids who have gone too far to be saved.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
Nuva
yes i vape

Something I like is that I'm in Transylvania and the game does a lot of subversion on the typical pop culture definition of what a vampire is.

Dracula was not a vampire. But through the use of myths, they warped his image to discredit him and make him the face of what he fought against.

Vampires made up the myths of a majority of their weaknesses. While they would die to sunlight, they can easily overcome it with just additional clothing. They pretty much are decked in full ski uniforms. Aside from that, they can die the typically mean ways, bullets, dismemberment. The only advantage of being a vampire is an immortal night life.

Every wanted to join a cult? This is one of the websites used for investigation purposes.

Also I met a wagon
Spoiler for :

Last edited by Nuva; 06-13-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
Nuva
yes i vape

They finally introduced motorcycles and they're charging 20$ for them and the ability to run faster.

DLC is like 10$. I don't know how to take that.

I mean I think its kinda nuts. And apparently there's going to be content that revolves around the necessity of this mount.

Sigh, I hate the MMORPG model.

Last edited by Nuva; 06-05-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Nuva
yes i vape

I did all the elite dungeons and now I have to beat THE GATEKEEPER in order to access the nightmare zones.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Nuva
yes i vape

Shit hit the fan
Spoiler for :

And I got myself a new look

Old 06-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
sals
Science, my boy!

That house is very on fire. You should probably call emergency services.
sals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #10
Nuva
yes i vape

That actually happens and through a weird juxtaposition reveals one of the biggest plot points in the game

Decided to record when I can

Spoiler for :

I'm now in the final area currently for this game: Tokyo.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Nuva
yes i vape

Old 06-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #12
Nuva
yes i vape

THE SECRET WORLD BASE GAME IS NOW ON SALE FOR 15$ IT IS FIFTY PERCENT OFF IT IS A REALLY GOOD MMO AND I WANT TO PLAY IT WITH FRIENDS PLEASE BUY IT
Old 06-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Nuva
yes i vape

I just realized that I can just toss this in here to explain the quest design.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Mega
No-Fo You.

If nuva likes it, then it must be good!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
Nuva
yes i vape

This happened! SCARY MISSION IS SCARY
Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #16
Nuva
yes i vape

THE SECRET WORLD IS 9$

THE ULTIMATE EDITION IS FIFTY PERCENT OFF, THIRTY DOLLARS OFF
Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I may as well try it while FFXIV is down tomorrow.

I've heard there was like some deep puzzle shit in it, and it being fairly soloable and at $8 with no subs. Sure.

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 06-17-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Raven Serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
Nuva
yes i vape

Just gimme your alias on the game and I'll help whenever I can!

PLEASE BUY THIS AND PLAY WITH ME.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #19
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuva View Post

Only installing right now. Don't even know the server situation.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #20
Haven
the Ever Smiling

I rolled a Dragon character.
Spoiler for early game uhhhh:
And got a bj that somehow made me live the memories of someone else?

(please read it!)
Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #21
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuva View Post

Buy it for me then.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #22
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Serpent View Post
Only installing right now. Don't even know the server situation.
TSW has cross dimensional servers. Leviathan is what I'm on. Arcadia is the most populated. Chat is universal across all servers.

But as long as you and me want to meet up, we can. Just invite me to a group and we literally jump servers for each other. Its awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
I rolled a Dragon character.
Spoiler for early game uhhhh:
And got a bj that somehow made me live the memories of someone else?
Yeah, Dragons are fucking random nutholes. GOOD CHOICE.

DROP YOUR CHARACTER NAMES.

As soon as you go into the game, type /chat join sanctuary. There is a way to make this a permanent choice but every time you log in, you have to type it.

This channel is very important.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #23
Nuva
yes i vape

btw here's my profile
Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #24
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Still downloading. I've been watching youtube videos while it goes, which is why its taking a while. I'll probably go Illuminati. I feel like the tone of that teaser fits the kind of thing I'd enjoy best.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #25
Nuva
yes i vape

btw here's deck outfits for you guys if you want to go for a certain look

yes, they are attached to faction

yes you can buy clothing in the game
yes there is options in the item store

but these are the ELITE outfits you get when you fill in the wheel
Spoiler for :

Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #26
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Something is up with those Paladin pants.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #27
Nuva
yes i vape

To the people who bought this game, thank you. You may reach me and ask me any questions. I'll be writing a quick Q&A for you guys.

I just beat the Gatekeeper and I figured out the crafting system and finally used the auction house. All very simple. I now have access to nightmare level dungeons which will allow me to get the highest rarity of gear.

Getting ready for that endgame~
Old 06-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #28
Nuva
yes i vape

just gonna quote this post

Quote:
Things I wish I'd known...

General

Dialogue choices are more than one line. If you're talking to an NPC, keep clicking on the dialogue choice until it turns to a green check mark. Some of the best writing is in those extra bits of voiceover.
When hunting for lore bits, don't forget to look up. Not everything is at ground level.
There is a demon in the Hatian Market in London who sells tacos. These tacos (at 100 PAX each) buff your out-of-combat healing rate, thus allowing you to return into combat more quickly. (Credit: Trobed)
Logging out - There are 3 ways. 1) Menu in the upper left - Exit 2) Press ESC (sometimes 2 or 3 times) then choose Exit Game or 3) /camp - for those of us who like our keyboards
If you accidentally sell something, go to the "Buyback" tab on the vendor to get it back.
Keys F1 through F5 will select members of your group as your "defensive target"
Ctrl-Alt-F to display a frames per second meter on the left edge of your screen.
If you're creating a new character and it keeps telling you the name isn't unique no matter what weird choices you pick, try changing the first or last name. Some names are "reserved" since they belong to special NPCs and such. Unfortunately, the character naming code doesn't tell you about the real problem.

Inventory Management

When you create a new bag from your inventory, if you click on the lock button, it stays open when you close the inventory. This is how you can create an "item hotbar" say for your anima potions.
You can also name your new bags by double-clicking on the "New Bag" line.
You can merge Inventory bags to create bigger bags. Drag one full bag on top of another and a new bag will be created with room enough for all the items. It even stays that size if items are subsequently removed.
Inventory has a search function. So if you aren't as anal as I am with all your runes and mats divided out into all sorts of seperate bags labeled by purpose, you can use the search function to find out if you have enough "Wheel Rune" to make the glyph you want to use.
You can single-drop items from a stack. Left-click on the stack. Move the mouse to where you want the item to go and right-click. It will drop one at a time there. This works in the crafting window as well as your inventory.

Death & Resurrection
[credit for much of this to Alainna]

You have to discover new anima wells to be able to use them for resurrection. Discover just means getting close to them.
When you die, you can choose to resurrect at any of the anima wells in the zone that you have already discovered.
Once you resurrect, running back to your body is OPTIONAL. You can just right-click on the anima well and come back to life at that location.
If you choose to go back to your body, once you get back within 14 meters of your body, you'll be able to sense the mobs that are nearby. You can resurrect anywhere within a 14 foot circle, so pick your spot carefully. Don't forget to look behind you!
If your anima well is very close to where your body is, it is possible to get back and resurrect BEFORE the mobs have cleared their hate for you. Take your time or else you're going to come back at 1/2 life with the mobs chasing you down to kill you again. And since they did it once...
You can die on purpose using the /reset command. Then you can select any discovered anima well in the zone. Even that one all the way across on the other end of the zone!

Loot & Items

Quick looting - be in range of the loot icon, press v. Everything from the mob will automatically be added to your inventory.
While weapons may drop for you, the chances of them being the one you were hoping for are slim. So don't wait for that Blood Focus to drop, figure out a way to get one.
Once you've selected your first weapon and you're about to leave to meet your primary contact in your faction, turn around and go back into the training area. You can pick up the other 8 weapons. You won't get the AP/SP rewards, but you can at least equip yourself.
Speaking of starting weapons, make sure you get Boone's quest right as you enter Kingsmouth. The final reward in that quest line is a weapon once you reach the police station in Kingsmouth. My tactic has been to use that for my 2nd weapon.
If you forget to get the starter weapons before you hit Kingsmouth town, you could also just buy one from a vendor in the station. They only cost 100 coins; so your first loot drop or two probably covered the cost.
As gear progresses in tiers/Colors (Green / Blue / Purple), it tends to become more specialized. However, keep in mind that if that Blue weapon has a glyph in it that buffs Physical Defense and your build focuses on Critical, you can just build a crit power / damage glyph and replace it on the weapon.
You can preview the clothes from the clothing vendors in places like Pangea. The button should be obvious, but it's surprising how many people manage to miss it!
If you want to link an item to chat (say to show off that new purple you got from the dungeon last night), ctrl-right-click on the item.
The Council of Venice has some guys in snazzy white suits and blue berets who will trade those Sequins of Solomon Island for weapons, glyphs, and other gear. They are in every zone, though, and there is a QL cap per zone. So if you can use QL 5 weapons, don't buy a QL 4 just because you found the vendor. Go find the vendor in the next zone to help you out!

Last edited by Nuva; 06-19-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #29
Nuva
yes i vape

Also yeah, TSW suffers a bit in terms of clutter especially in the inventory and bank (which is in London btw) so here are recommended mods

Deck manager and Inventory Sort saved my life. Download them. ASK ME BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD MODS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. Anything related to Aegis is related to Tokyo, the last area as of right now in this game.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #30
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I might play a bunch today too, since EVERYONE is going to be playing FFXIV today and the servers will be on fire.

Hey though, what do I do with old weapons? They aren't salable it seems. Do I break them down with the things?