F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Computers > Massively Multiplayer

Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #61
Jake
In a word or a look

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake

Since Death knights itemize differently depending on the spec and Armonis' description was a bit general I'll talk about Frost DK's which are my current spec!

Generally itemization is relatively the same between frost and blood besides the weapons of course, frost is allll about dual wielding. As such there's plenty of dicussion over whether or not slow weapons are good, or slow main fast off and etc.

Personally I've found the best medium being a slow main and a fast offhand, with rune of razorice in the mainhand and rune of fallen crusader in the off.

I use a 0/53/18 buildCurrent build. Once again the major stats is strength, Attack power is a close second, armor penetration is not necessary but is nice as well as expertise.
Frost dpser's in your raids should be decent aoe damage dealers but will really excel when sicked on a single target due to the little downtime between high damage attacks (stacking diseases and getting both blood runes converted to death runes to pull three chain obliterates then spam frost strike till the runes recharge, reapply diseases/death runes then repeat)

Good starter weapons would be Tankard's O' terror if you can afford them, or even just one, The ironforge smasher is also an excellent choice for a main hand weapon.

Best in slot for armor is the same throughout all three specs, however for weapons the current best in slots are the Stormpike cleaver from ToC 25 (two of them, or with lionhead slasher from ToC 10 in the offhand)
Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #62
Ingrid Archer
Toy Soldier

Do you use Str+stam gems just to fill the Chaotic Skyflare's meta requirement? I don't know about DKS, but for ret pallys I've always heard chaotic skyflare is good in theory, but most people use Relentless Earthsiege because the gem requirements are more lenient, and melee DPS hardly ever have use for any blue gem stats, Nightmare tear might count towards the requirement though? I don't really know, never had more than one in my gear set before. Ret is my off, so.

Also, Best-in-Slot, or BiS, means the best possible gear for your spec/class. Reborn posted a link earlier, which I'll take his word for as I haven't checked it out yet <<

Also, awesome :D Glad to see people posting here! I'l post sometime when I don't have to be up in 4.5 hours <<
Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #63
Catter Kyatta
shaves his legs

Send a message via AIM to Catter Kyatta Send a message via MSN to Catter Kyatta

Having 2 Nightmare Tears seems like such a waste. I've heard CSF is good, really only if you're a JC, and even then not a lot of people seem to use it
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #64
Jake
In a word or a look

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake

The critical strike rating is really nice, and as far as blue gems go I usually put a purple one in there, the one that has like a bit of strength and some stamina? It's not really necessary and probably not a hugely good idea dps wise, but I do enjoy being able to take a hit a liiiitttle better, even in dps spec.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #65
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I'm just starting to better understand the ins and outs of warlocks and I'm still really fluctuating heavily on my DPS in general, so I'm not even gonna bother touching on that right now. I only really know anything about affliction anyway. I've played a healing priest for a few years now though, and while I'm far from an expert, I guess there are observations I've made over that time that could potentially help. I'm the absolute last person you'd want to ask about shadow unless it was just the very basics of how the spec works, though. In any case.

Priests are very versatile healers and have quite a few options at their disposal to get the job done, so much so that they are the only class with two healing trees instead of just the one that the other three classes carry. I'll start with holy, since I still consider it my main spec (even though I rarely use it and it really needs to be respecced).

HOLY PRIEST:

Spellpower, Spirit and Haste are your big stats here. Don't shy away from Intelligence and Crit if you can get them, but not at the cost of those first three. MP5 is also one you can pick up, but more often than not, they'll make you pick between gear with either Spirit or MP5 on it. Spirit is going to take you a bit farther because you'll not only be throwing out bigger heals as a holy priest and generally be able to take advantage of the FSR (five second rule) a bit more than a discipline priest would, but you have a talent that will add 25% of your spirit to your bonus healing and another talent that will make your critical heals boost your mana regeneration by 50% for 8 seconds if you're specced correctly. MP5 is not going to kill you to take, as it's still largely a healer stat, but take spirit first if you have a choice. You have a few talents that are directly dependent on critical heals as well, so it's nice to have a little crit, but I would not ever gem for it over haste as holy. A lot of your gear comes dripping with the stat anyway and your biggest concern is getting your heals off in time, as holy priests do not have the damage mitigation (read: shields out the ass) that discipline priests do. As such, where a discipline priest would pretty much never need to use Greater Heal, a holy priest with a comfortable amount of Haste will find it tossed into their rotation now and then.

Which brings me to the main difference in how a holy priest heals when compared to how a discipline priest heals. Holy priests are much better group healers than discipline priests. Not only do they have spells like Circle of Healing, but they also have talents out the ass that reduce mana costs and cooldowns of several multi-target heals. The big one, though, is the tier 10 talent, which ups the healing on every single multi-target and AoE heal at a priest's disposal by up to 10%, not to mention lowers Prayer of Mending's cooldown by a few seconds. You also have to take into account Prayer of Mending. As a discipline priest, you have shields up on people all over the place. It's just how the spec works. The way Prayer of Mending functions is it lands on a target after being cast and sits on them for 30 seconds or until they get hit. Once they are hit, it will heal them, jump to another random target and reset the 30 second countdown, repeating this process up to five times (six with the T7 set bonus). What makes the spell far more effective for a holy priest than a discipline priest is the lack of shields. If people aren't taking hits, the spell isn't bouncing around the group, and if the spell isn't bouncing around the group, it's not doing it's job as well as it could be.

You should see a holy priest using Flash Heal primarily. Greater Heal will be used when a bigger heal is necessary, cast time permitting, as holy lacks a heavy hitting or front loaded heal like Penance. Prayer of Mending should always be up and there's no real reason to not be using Renew where applicable, either. Circle of Healing, Prayer of Healing and Binding Heal as needed. The latter is a great way to top yourself off without losing focus of healing who you need to be healing. If your priest is doing nothing but casting Greater Heal, they're doing it wrong. If they're doing nothing but spamming Circle of Healing, they think they're still in 3.0 and they're doing it wrong. Guardian Spirit is sort of nice to have, as you're generally going to be assisting tank healers in this spec, and it's a spell that's good at doing just that. There's no reason not to pick up Spirit of Redemption, either. If glyphed, you have up to 21 seconds of free healing after you die. Sometimes that makes the difference between surviving a fight and everyone sucking floor.

Talents a holy priest should always have, no matter what:

• Meditation (Discipline, tier 3)
• Spiritual Guidance (Holy, tier 5)
• Spiritual Healing (Holy, tier 6)
• Divine Providence (Holy, tier 10)
• Empowered Healing (Holy, tier 8)
• Holy Specialization (Holy, tier 1)

Talents a holy priest should not even bother with:

• Lightwell (Holy, tier 7)
• Searing Light (Holy, tier 4)
• Body and Soul (Holy, tier 8)

Here is a decent holy spec to start with: 14/57/0

DISCIPLINE PRIEST:

Gonna get to this in a bit. Taking longer than I thought.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #66
Armonis Kain
Commander Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
The critical strike rating is really nice, and as far as blue gems go I usually put a purple one in there, the one that has like a bit of strength and some stamina? It's not really necessary and probably not a hugely good idea dps wise, but I do enjoy being able to take a hit a liiiitttle better, even in dps spec.
I agree with this, also many DPS plate pieces have a nice socket bonus if you throw a blue in there, so having a purple will give you the strength, plus some stamina, and it also allows you to aim for getting socket bonuses with +str on them.

I've been trying to get Aesirs's Edge, but it hasn't dropped for me. I want it, but I think for me the Onyxia sword is better due to being somewhat under the expertise cap.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #67
Zaver

Default Night Elf Mohawk Grenades.

Time to spam these like it's Call of Duty 4

Also

Zaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #68
Scoffee
Assssss Cobra

Send a message via MSN to Scoffee

Im going to go sign up for another free trial just for this.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #69
Mega
No-Fo You.

O8
Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #70
rebornMCW
Ring Your Bell

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #71
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

I fucking love this. Mohawks are outside every race's beginning starting zone.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #72
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Wherever I go I'm making Pallies look gooooooooood:

Hey, do you know me? Of course you do. 'Cause I'm famous!
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #73
Armonis Kain
Commander Shepard

I haven't played for like a week and a half (shocking, I know) but these appear to be much higher quality than the Hallows Eve flimsy masks, am I correct?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #74
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

They're pretty well made, yeah.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #75
Adamjirra
May I cut in?

Send a message via AIM to Adamjirra Send a message via MSN to Adamjirra

Best thing ever.

Well, ah... the planet sort of cracked, but you can't make an omelette without... destabilizing the Earth's core and plunging the world into eternal darkness. - Keiseth
Adamjirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #76
Sybil
BRO ME UR MOVES

WHAT THE FUCK

My time expires and this happens.

Its obvious WoW is celebrating getting rid of me without banning me . 8(
Sybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #77
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

You said you were getting a time card.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #78
Sybil
BRO ME UR MOVES

Shhh, that's not what they know.
Sybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #79
rebornMCW
Ring Your Bell

Blizzard knows all and sees all!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #80
That Frood

Default Some crazy dude

Dude won the game

Quote:
he's the first player to complete all 986 tasks listed in the game's Armory. Considering that over 11.5 million people play the game worldwide, that's one heck of an honor.
That Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #81
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

Coulda sworn I already read this somewhere on site.

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega View Post
http://kotaku.com/5415867/oh-my-taiw...ld-of-warcraft

Not really a thread to put these kinds of things so I'll put it here.

Looks like Horde won.
woo
Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #82
That Frood

oh.
That Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #83
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Awww, yeeeaaah.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #84
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

Mon dieu.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #85
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Default World of Warcraft General Discussion

Quote:
When we last checked World of Warcraft subscriber numbers in December of 2008, the game had 11.5 million. In March, Vivendi According to Blizzard's Mike Morhaime, today's numbers are exactly the same. Has the mighty MMO plateaued?

During Activision's calendar year 2009 conference call today, Blizzard top dog Mike Morhaime spoke of the stability of the company's flagship title, World of Warcraft, and he wasn't kidding. Talking numbers, Morhaime revealed that the game currently had approximately 11.5 million subscribers, "about on par with last time we announced."

The only problem is, the last time they announced was in December of 2008, following the release of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, which should have caused a spike in numbers. Perhaps it did, but the spike faded without the company saying word one about it. At the time of the previous announcement, I questioned why the company had decided to announce half a million more than the 11 million they announced in September of 2008. Perhaps a decline in new subscriptions was behind the incremental update?

Things look even bleaker if you take into account a Vivendi statement from March of 2009. During a conference call, Vivendi Chief Executive Jean-Bernard Levy said, "We started the year with 12 million subscribers for World of Warcraft, which is a good base." If those numbers are correct, then the population has actually dropped by 500,000 since early 2009, though without official numbers from Blizzard we're suspecting the Vivendi executive may have rounded up a bit.

Now mind you, WoW subscriber numbers are culled from all over the world, and with China currently having issues with getting The Burning Crusade expansion reviewed, much less Wrath of the Lich King, a great many players in that region could be backing off until the smoke clears.

Could that account for the stagnant numbers, or are players just growing weary of the game, five years after its explosive release? Either way, we'll be keeping a close eye on those numbers in the months to come. With Cataclysm refreshing the starting content, perhaps we'll see a large influx of new and old players, coming to see how the face of Azeroth has changed.
http://kotaku.com/5469063/world-of-w...wth-since-2008
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #86
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

http://kotaku.com/5469238/most-world...-past-level-10
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #87
Mega
No-Fo You.

Not surprising really, they decided to remake old world mainly for those reason.

Also wasn't there a star trek MMO out just recently?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #88
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I think they're doing an old world revamp because it's needed it for a long time, well before Wrath when the userbase was still ballooning. They're releasing an expansion period to help with growth.

And the new Star Wars MMO from BioWare is probably the only one that could pose any kind of potential... I feel silly saying "threat"... to WoW. Maybe an annoyance.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #89
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

I thought this actually had something to do with the story or something, given the title.

Eh. Silly Kotaku.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #90
rebornMCW
Ring Your Bell

I was crossing my fingers for zombie event the sequel