F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Artistic Endeavors > Eye Candy > Pictures with Panels

Old 12-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #61
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Oh, okay. So my general assessment was correct. Maybe not necessarily bad, but probably not for me.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #62
Ves
The Human

probably not, there are funny moments, and a love story, and blahblahblah but yeah. It is pretty cool to me and has better writing than most action focused comics
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #63
Ves
The Human

Hey Prof I finally didn't have other shit come up. Gonna start this list. i really don't like mainline superhero books because they have to be so... I don't know self contained on what they can do or else the management sends a reset button. Books that are more self contained always interest me more so I'll tend to mention those more

Sorted by imprint

Marvel 616/other

X-Factor volume 3 and the prequel Madrox
Basically take the interesting parts of X-Men, and throw out all the bullshit, and throw in random detective shit. Only problem is the artists on the book go from quite good to godawful and back again, sometimes within 20 pages.

Runaways
Brian K. Vaughn is amazing. Kids with powers is a cool concept. The third volume isn't as good because of a change in creative teams. Whats interesting about this is that there really isn't any grand overarching villain most of the time. Also one thing that is great about characters that are only used in one plotline(which never happens in marvel) is that they end up more developed.

Exiles
The basic concept is that you throw heroes/villains together and not have continuity matter. Why is this awesome? Well crossover stuff doesn't have to be resolved, so you get 100+ issues of random teamups you wouldn't get anywhere else. It is like "what if" but with an overarching storyline.

Last edited by Ves; 12-07-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #64
Ves
The Human

Dark Horse

Hellboy
I honestly think Hellboy is how more hero comics should be done. It has a wry sense of itself, but also knows how to be badass.

BPRD
More Hellboy universe stuff with a greater emphasis on the side characters. I actually like it better than Hellboy a bit cause I like Abe so much. There is a preferred reading order of stuff somewhere, you can just google it.

Umbrella Academy
I read the first volume of this and learned after the fact that the guy who created My Chemical Romance wrote it. I mean if I had known that I wouldn't have touched it. It has an almost early Deadpool sense of seriousness about it(oddly funny but still all >:|), but touched with a shitload of violence and an actual well crafted story that has a point.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #65
DiscoVader
CRYSTALS ARE INTEGRAL

Send a message via AIM to DiscoVader Send a message via MSN to DiscoVader Send a message via Skype™ to DiscoVader

I agree with the Umbrella Academy. Very good comic. Was really surprised that it was written by Gerard Way, pretty much for the same reason that Ves stated.

Behold, my mastery of the mammal haiku!
Platinum: 0860 9533 3376|HeartGold: 3052 0550 5705
DiscoVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #66
Ves
The Human

Vertigo

DMZ
Probably my favorite ongoing comic. Basically Manhattan has become a completely unruled area of the United States do to a minor civil war. Basically chronicles all of the postwar stuff and pretty much highlights how important society is. It is pretty intense.

Transmetropolitan
Required reading I think. Warren Ellis has a special affinity for douchebag characters who abuse drugs because he's a douchebag who smokes and drinks all day. Post humanism, cyberpunk, whatever, shit is in the future and the future is fucked up. Probably one of the best comics ever.

Y: The Last Man
One day every man on earth dies but one. Deals with a lot of societal issues, but is just a good story. Suspense, action, etc. Also Brian K Vaughn is just that good of a writer. Any of his stuff has been worth it for me.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #67
Ves
The Human

Invincible
read the description I wrote to Nami above. It is stupid but it knows it.

Ex Machina
The world has one superhero. He retires and runs for mayor. Sounds super fucking boring, but it sort of has two plotlines going on. It flashes back to superhero shit, and then deals with the stuff currently going on. More Brian K Vaughn, dude is great.

Scud
Basically in the future you can get anything out of vending machines, including bots that do assassinations. They are sort of mindless schlubs, and once they finish the job they self terminate. One becomes self aware. The story is just sort of zany and weird and has a really 90's goofiness to it. It is like an old Nick cartoon but way more violent.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #68
Ves
The Human

Other
Atomic Robo
Deadpool is less crazy but he's a robot made by Nikola Tesla. Thats pretty much it. If you like silly Deadpool, but not retarded, read this.

I'll add more shit if you want stuff that has no action in it. This is pretty much the best stuff I've read though.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #69
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

More with no action is fine. There is no way I'm touching Umbrella Academy.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #70
Ves
The Human

It is really fucking good. Read one issue.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #71
Ves
The Human

Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Wizard of Oz retold not to suck with pretty as hell art. Believe Hoogie or Rud read this too? But yeah good shit.

Courtney Crumrin
Art looks bad, but it kinda grows on you? Series is kinda creepy, and is just well written. Focuses on a girl and her uncle mostly. Talks about things that go bump in the dark being real. blahblahblah http://www.onipress.com/display.php?type=se&id=3 first issue is there for free

Pride of Baghdad
One shot of life in Iraq after the Iraq war. Focuses on escaped zoo lions. It is pretty melancholy, but i like it.

Last edited by Ves; 12-07-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #72
Ves
The Human

I have other shit, but thats what I can think of right now and what I've really enjoyed. I think one thing to do is just try to read things by a writer if you like one of their books. It gives you a lot more to read.

Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison(he's inconsistent), and Brian K Vaughn put out good output and do a good job so for me if I'm looking for something new I just look at their shit.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #73
tiffle
the wrost

Ves and I have similar tastes. I'll check some of that stuff out.

Can I add Fables and The Sandman to that list? Fables is great, and from what I've read of Sandman so far it looks to be as well. I'll even write them up like Ves did.

Fables
Folk-lore character get chased out of their homelands by a mysterious force called 'The Adversary' and are forced to live in our world, namely New York City. One of those things you're surprised hasn't been done before.

The Sandman
Follows the anthropomorphic personification of dreams after he has been imprisoned for 70 years. I've only just started it, but it's won many awards and looks to be quite good, especially if you're into epic fantasy stuff.
tiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #74
Ves
The Human

I'm iffy on Fables myself, i like the concept but the actual execution seems off to me.

The Sandman on the other hand is amazing. How did I forget that!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #75
tiffle
the wrost

Yeah, I feel that same about it, but only the recent ones(I thought the earlier stuff was great). It lost something when
Spoiler for rather large spoilar:
the adversary was defeated.

And then the crossover for no reason out of the blue, interrupting a developing storyline just sort of killed it for me. I'm only getting caught up with it now.
tiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #76
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

Thought I replied.

Thanks for the list. No way will I touch Umbrella Academy. If you feel like listing more I'd appreciate it, but if it's too much trouble no worries.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #77
Ves
The Human

If anything comes to mind I'll let you know.

Also touch UA, you'll be surprised.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #78
Ves
The Human

I need to start reading Daredevil

Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #79
Ves
The Human

Remembered something else after I started reading Daredevil again. I'm so dumb.

Powers
the wiki page on it is pretty spoilerific, so maybe you shouldn't bother. Another one of those superhero subversion comics, but it is written with movie quality writing. One of my favorite comics.

Astro City
Sort of like the above but the perspective is different.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #80
Mr. Green Genes

I like Powers.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #81
Hoogie
STYLE

Did anyone else read Blackest Night? I really enjoyed it.

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #82
andythejew

I hate how like scott pilgrim goes from looking like his age to like a kid.
Compare volume 1 cover to volume 4 cover
also i bet he has a small penis.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #83
Ves
The Human

I am bumping this. I haven't read anything for awhile other than a few single issues here and there, also stickied.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #84
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Interested in finding something to read; aside from Watchmen and a friend's comic (Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer and its sequel), I've never really read comics. Batman and Deadpool have always seemed interesting to me. I've heard good things about Sandman. I was interested in Civil War when that was going on, although people I know who have read it said it wasn't very good. Blackest Night seems neat, and the Zombie Marvel stuff looks funny.

So it's pretty clear I'm new to this. Recommendations?

Edit: Well, if webcomics count I've read Penny Arcade, 8-Bit Theater, Real Life Comics, and Mac Hall/Three Panel Soul for a long time. Read RPG World when it was out long ago, reread it recently and didn't like it as much. Read other stuff I wasn't thrilled with after I let it soak in or just lost interest in: Girly, Dominic Deegan, VG Cats, stuff like that.

Edit Edit: Also I do not understand why people find Scott Pilgrim so amazing.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso

Last edited by Frent; 02-16-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #85
Catter Kyatta
shaves his legs

Send a message via AIM to Catter Kyatta Send a message via MSN to Catter Kyatta

Deadpool is a crappy character
Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #86
Hoogie
STYLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catter Kyatta View Post
Deadpool is a crappy character
Not really. Deadpool works very well under the right writer. It's just been a while since he's had a good writer.

As far as recommendations go I'm not too sure. I read a lot of stuff. I'm also dumb and have low standards so I tend to like everything.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #87
Ves
The Human

Deadpool was more interesting before he was flanderized due to his internet popularity.

I'd just read Atomic Robo instead.

@Frent
Don't read Civil War, a lot of it has already been retconned, so you won't really get much out of it and the most interesting stuff from it has not bearing on the current stuff.

Marvel Zombies is stupid.

If you really need to read super hero comics, I'd go for mini series type stuff that has no bearing on the actual overall plot of things to start. It lets you get familiar with the character without having to know a lot of backstory, and sort of frames things for you and it makes sure to introduce all of the characters.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #88
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

Civil War was pretty fair if you stick to the main story and skip all the side shit. Then again you should like superhero comics before you bother reading it because if you don't care about them you'll hate it.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #89
Hoogie
STYLE

If you're really super interested in Civil War you can play Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. It used Civil War as a basis only it works a lot better. Also what Prof said.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #90
Ves
The Human

Well the problem is if you don't read the side shit you don't know what the fuck is going on half the time. They even put those little annoying editor notes in it, and tie ins are bullshit.