F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #61
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I have been spending money on Warhammer 40k stuff, namely Tau miniatures. There is no one I know in Brunei who plays WH40k, but I just want to own Tau stuff because the Tau Empire is my favorite faction (the Imperial Guard is a close second).

I'll work on getting a proper Tau army before I buy Imperial Guards. Gotta say, this stuff is expensive. Thankfully I have enough self-control to keep myself from spending all of my money.

On the topic of money: I do my best to save up at least 10 to 20 percent of what I earn every month into the bank. I've decided not to buy Playstation All-Stars mainly because of this rule, and instead focus on buying Far Cry 3 when it comes out.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #62
StevenFC
The Butt Stallion

I was real excited to start up a Necrons army, and I even bought a few units off eBay, but the cost was getting prohibitive even with those discounts. Now I'm just gonna supplement my BESTFRIEND's Ork army that he lets me play. I'm looking into getting some Gretchin cannons myself.

Oh Goddammit
StevenFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #63
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Some folks may not know this, but I run a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' thread over at the MSPA Forum called 'Art of Domination', where you play as an alien commander invading a human-inhabited planet. You can read it here.

I am currently working on the first update since the hiatus (which was mainly due to the fact that I was busy looking for a job), and the story should continue tomorrow.

I've got all the major story events written in my head and then written on my laptop, with lots of 'elasticity' to give readers/players a lot of freedom. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) the adventure game will continue for at least eight years, during which I hope the MSPA forum will keep on running.

The hardest part about writing a long adventure is keeping facts consistent. I have a terrible memory so I have to rely on writing down notes and re-reading the threads to keep myself from committing major contradictions. Still, writing and drawing this stuff has been the most fun I've ever had in my life.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #64
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Oh my God, the boss just showed me some awesome character concept art from a freelancer, it looks so amazing and makes my work look like horseshit. I gotta step it up.

I wish I could show you the concept art but I can't, because this is top secret stuff. Can't risk somebody copying our IP.

Boss just told me to come up with a new character. I gotta draw gotta draw gotta draw
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #65
That Pooka
Orange you glad

That's really awesome! It's good to have a bit of a challenge at work, and I know you can wow them with your art!

Please let us know when it's no longer top secret.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #66
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

There is a convention coming up. It's happening here in Brunei, and it's called EAcon. Here's the website: http://eacon.fragfactory.net/

Plastic models, drawing, video games and cosplay will be involved. I am going to wear a sash that says 'BEST COSTUME' on it.

I kind of wish I could bring my Warhammer 40k miniatures and put them into the plastic models contest but I haven't painted them yet. Maybe in 2015.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #67
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Had a chat with the boss about publishing comics. He's had experience and gave me some very useful advice.

Sometime in the future I intend to publish some comics at a small scale. My aim is not to make money, I just want to tell stories.

Three comics I got planned:

The 24 hour comic bonanza - Three 24 hour comics made by me, collected in a single 72-page book. Black and white.

Prince - Fantasy adventure story about a prince forsaken by his own kingdom escaping a prison to explore the world. Full color, will make as a webcomic first before publishing.

Weekly Invasion - Science fiction action story about Earth being held prisoner by a massive alien force to serve as the setting for a galaxy-wide reality TV show where humans must defeat an alien race's army every week. Full color.

I might also consider selling the books online, the only real problem would be shipping costs.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #68
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

So I'm working on a card game where your powers are drawn from cards that represent emotions. Fear, Anger, Happiness and Sorrow are in, but I'm still thinking about Hope. I mean, is Hope an emotion? Do note that the emotions are linked to how the cards of that type are played. Fear cards are about manipulating your enemy into doing things they don't want to do, Anger is about brute force, Happiness is about healing and stat buffs, Sorrow is about sacrificing cards to create effects and Hope would be about weak units that get better as the game continues.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #69
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Last weekend I went to a 2-day convention (EAcon, or the Expressive Arts Convention) in my homeland Brunei that held events for videogames, drawing, action figures, comics and cosplay. They had a fighting game tournament, a little of it you can watch here:

I'll post photos this coming weekend. Been too busy to upload pics.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #70
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

For some reason the words "HUMPAN GAEMS" keep repeating in my head at full volume.

I feel like I should make a comic with that phrase.

So, I don't have these horrible thoughts about people I know dying in horrible ways anymore, but it's been replaced by weird phrases that keep repeating in my head. This is much, MUCH better.

Also, just reading my last post in this thread I forgot to put up photos of my trip to EAcon. Whoops!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #71
That Pooka
Orange you glad

I repeat words in my head, too. Phrases get stuck really easily, especially if I don't remember where they came from.

I'm glad you're doing better!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #72
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #73
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I have a folder in my computer called 'tostudy'. It's full of art done by artists I really admire. Sometimes I want to rename the folder 'inspiration' because whenever I feel uninspired or unmotivated I browse through that folder and feel rejuvenated. Last night I forgot to do that and wound up spending the evening basically doing nothing. I think I'm going to make a mental note to visit the 'tostudy' folder whenever I feel like not doing anything.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #74
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

That's pretty cool -- much better than actually letting pictures you like just sit around, like I do with my huge folder.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #75
That Pooka
Orange you glad

That is a good idea. I think you've inspired me to do the same, Mayu.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #76
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

My grandpa's gone off to Singapore for cancer checkup. I'll be flying there tomorrow, all the flights are full.

He's actually recovering quite well, the tumor in his chest is shrinking. Unfortunately Brunei doesn't have the equipment to properly scan and measure how the cancer has spread yet.

Brunei has a very good government healthcare system that sends patients overseas if they cannot be treated or properly checked here. It's free, and accommodation is provided as well. Stuff like this makes me feel lucky I was born here, at least if I get cancer or something the government will take care of most of the cost.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #77
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

That's excellent. Cancer's a hell of a thing to beat. I hope it goes away and stays gone.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #78
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Thanks, I hope so too.

So right now I'm in Singapore. Some things have changed. The hotel where I'm staying is using a new password system for the internet. There are new shops at the airport.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a ticket for a workshop on making concept art for next-generation games (PS4 and the next Xbox), with Kekai Kotaki and James Paick as lecturers. It's already sold out.

Then after that I hope I'll be able to buy some videogames and boardgames. Brunei has no boardgame shops, aside from department stores selling Risk, the Game of Life and Monopoly. The kind of stuff I'm looking for is things like 7 Wonders, Carcassonne, Risk: Legacy and Pandemic.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 AM   #79
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Grandpa will have to come back again in 6 months for another checkup. The tumor is still there, and it seems to have remained the same size since last time.

On another note, I've decided to keep a small notepad to serve as my list of daily goals. On each page of the notepad I will write the day's goals and check them when they're done.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #80
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I have come to the realization that these days I am hardly ever bored. If I'm not reading a book or playing a boardgame/videogame then I'm usually working on some kind of creative project. I tend to have stuff to do, writing or drawing, or coming up with new ideas and designs for videogames and boardgames. If I ever get writer's block (or an artist's block or designer's block, whichever the case may be) I read a book, play a game or just rest for an hour or so and the river of creativity flows again.

It's good to know that taking anti-psychotics and anti-depressants aren't suppressing my creative abilities.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #81
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

So I've been trying to make a decision in designing Anza, one of the characters for my upcoming comic 'Prince'. She's supposed to be a tough, amazonian, part-cat part-human brawler, but I couldn't decide what her cup size should be. I personally want her to be an E-cup, not for fanservice reasons but rather because she is a tall and huge woman (standing at 9 feet tall) and I felt that big breasts would somehow feel appropriate for an abnormally large female brawler in a fantasy setting.

However, I am worried that people might get uncomfortable or distracted by the character's ample bust to the point that they can't take her seriously as a character.

Out of a whim I decided to do a search for 'average cup size'. I discovered that the average cup size for a British woman is 36D, with Wales having the biggest at 34E. It turns out that for decades women over there had been wearing bras that were too small and only recently have become more aware about getting proper measurements and bra fittings.

While it's true that 1 in 3 women in the UK is overweight, obesity alone doesn't explain why the national average is so large. There are apparently a lot of slim-yet-busty women buying D to G sized bras.

Huh, D-cups are average now, at least in the UK.

This has made some influence in my decision but I am not sure yet. Will Anza be an E cup or a C cup? While a question like this might make me seem like a pervert, I take every detail seriously when it comes to character design.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #82
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Okay yeah, made up my mind. Anza's going to be an E-cup.

On another note, just finished attending a 3-day workshop on Concept Art for Next-Gen games (Next-gen being the PS4 and the Xbox Durango). The speakers were Feng Zhu, Kekai Kotaki and James Paick, and it was an eye-opening experience to say the least.

Soon as I get back to Brunei I'm going to work harder and draw and paint more.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #83
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

From this day onwards I will make 58 sketches a day, every day.

I thought about posting every single drawing into my forum gallery, but that will take way too much time to scan everything. I will pick the most interesting ones (at least to me, anyway) and put them up in my art thread.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #84
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Dad accidentally killed a rat by slamming the bathroom door. Poor thing's neck was broken.

Dad gave the dead rat to the cats. They devoured everything but the head, which was then later eaten by ants.

If my cats love eating rat so much they should be doing a better job hunting down all these rodents living in my ceiling.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #85
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Okay, so last night we had our monthly family reunion (father's side). One of my cousins needed to go home early and his car was blocked by three other cars. One of those cars belonged to my uncle, and I was assigned to get it out of the driveway.

Somehow I didn't see it, but there was a gate door behind me as I put the car into reverse, and then CRUNCH, it broke the right tail-light. I didn't panic, I moved forward then tried to re-adjust, but then another crunch and that tail-light got hit again.

Third time reversing I finally got the car out of the driveway and onto the road. I feared the worst from my uncle. I had no idea how he'd react to his car getting damaged. However, I told him what happened, and he just laughed, and not in that sinister psycho kind of way. His reaction was more like "Oh my God are you really that dumb?"

Turns out he wasn't angry because he knew I rarely drove and was bad at reversing. I promised him I'd pay for the repairs (which should cost around 300 Bruneian dollars) and that was the end of that. He'll send me a text message or give a call when he gets the bill from the mechanic.

I have got to drive more often. I am horrible at reversing, as I don't seem to have a good awareness of where things are. It's a miracle I passed my driving exams.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #86
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

My boss just told me to go and get youtube links to animated shows' theme songs.

I am currently listening to this:

If I had any skill in music I would totally make a theme song with the same feel to this. It's so deliciously '80s.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #87
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Okay, yeah, there is DEFINITELY someone stealing my shirts from my clothesline. I've lost 34 shirts now!

I am going to go around asking my neighbors if they've seen anybody coming near my house. This is infuriating.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #88
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

26 April 2013 will be last day at work here in Ambuyart Animations. I actually liked working here, but I really do want to be a videogame concept artist, so hopefully going to FZD school in June would be a step in the right direction. I want to be like Jen Zee and Kekai Kotaki, making art for environments, characters, props, everything. To see my work in a videogame would be amazing.

I need some proper guidance and a lot of hard work to get to where I want to be. Could be 5 years, 8 years, maybe more before I get to that level, but when I get there I know it will be worth it.

Also, I will be seeing an ophthalmologist tomorrow. My eyes have become quite blurry lately, and from what I can tell I seem to have astigmatism. However, I would like a professional's take on this.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #89
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I used to obsess about things that shouldn't matter. What I mean is that, back in the past when I heard someone say something I strongly disagree with I would spend the rest of the week (or even longer) just obsessing about coming up with counter-arguments and how to talk back to that person. Ever since I started taking antipsychotics, I don't feel that way anymore. When I hear someone say something incredibly stupid or offensive I can just... let it go. And that's wonderful, because that means I can just focus on creating art and stories instead of letting a single incident ruin my thoughts.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #90
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Last night I couldn't sleep. At all. I just lay in bed, with my eyes closed and nothing on my mind.

Then something happened. I felt like I had to breathe manually, as if my body had forgotten how to breathe automatically. I spent a few minutes without breathing at all. I seriously thought I was going to die, and yet didn't get up from the bed or do anything stay awake and just lie there on the bed.

When morning came, I felt sleepy, yet unable to actually to fall asleep. I kept myself awake by listening to turntable.fm and chatting with the fanboy-forum folks.

This afternoon, father found my cat's body, lying in a ditch in the exact same position that I was lying in when I was in bed. Rigor mortis had taken hold, and his stiff body felt very unnatural as I lifted it out of the ditch and brought the carcass to the grave father had dug for it.

I felt disgust and pity, holding the dead cat in my hands. Yet I felt like I had to do it. It was something that had to be done.

The cat never had a proper name. Mom named him Guardian of the House. I called him Freeloader.

Freeloader now rests in the cat graveyard behind my house. The rambutan fruit tree prospers from the remains buried there, giving fruit every year. Dad likes to think it's the cats giving back.

I remember I used to plant little flags on the cat graves. I don't really know why I did that.

Rest in peace, Freeloader.

Last edited by Mayu_Zane; 05-06-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Mayu_Zane is offline   Reply With Quote