Nothing happened today.

Sincerelly,
The Deej

"You're like Frood duct taped to Slice at a Song of Ice and Fire LARP." -Nami-
The Deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Oh yeah, even though most of the old forumites know, I'm going to throw it back out there.

I have focal seizures along my right side. No, it's not epilapsy. No, I don't know what causes them. Yes, stress can trigger them.

I make seizure jokes a lot. It's part of the way I cope with it. So you can expect me to say something about burnt toast to get a cheap laugh every now and then.

Last edited by The Deej; 12-03-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So I showed some Deep Space 9 to my buddy Doenan.

He's in love with the show. He's already watched the first two seasons.

I feel as though I've helped the world a tiny bit.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

You have, man. You have.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I just realized that with a new thread on these here new forums, I can jammer on about all those silly little problems I jammered on about on the last thread.

Speaking of silly little problems... it appears I'm out of shelf space yet again.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Send a message via AIM to Thekylekurtz Send a message via MSN to Thekylekurtz

CHECK BEHIND YOUR COMPUTER
Thekylekurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Adamjirra
May I cut in?

Send a message via AIM to Adamjirra Send a message via MSN to Adamjirra

I still think TNG is the superior show.

FLEE
Adamjirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

The Shelf behind my computer now has individual shelves so short that it could only fit legends figures... and Legend figures take up pretty much no space anyway.

That and it's not deep enough to accomidate two rows of figures.

Fortunately I still have some time before I run out. My Animated Decepticons display still has plenty of room on it...

...although with the Revenge of the Fallen line starting soon... it's very quickly going to get crowded.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
Adamjirra
May I cut in?

You can swim in your transformers :D
Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I can use my bed as a display shelf and SLEEP ON THE FLOOR!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
Adamjirra
May I cut in?

That sounds painful
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamjirra View Post
That sounds painful
True fans feel no pain in the name of the GRAND and GLORIOUS Decepticon race!

Also, we can embed now?

I must use this ability! Now for some heavy metal!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Frent
Elder Statesman

Here's an idea for a Wreck-Gar costume. Take apart every single Transformer you own, throw them in a trash can, and strap the trash can to your back. Then head to the tallest office building you can find, and systematically walk around on each floor and to each cubicle, handing out palmfuls of broken Transformer bits, saying "Would you like some garbage?" And then when people ask you why, you only say, "I am Wreck-Gar. I am only good for one thing -- GARBAGE!"
Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I could do that for a con I bet.

And I already have a sizable collection of parts... just not enough to hand out though... and most of them are quite sharp.

And now for something with a little substance:

I hate having seizures. Take right now for example. Although it's not a full-blown seizure, the control of my right arm is hampered a bit, and tensing up. I know that if I don't stop doing stuff involving the mouse, it could escalate... so this pretty much means I have to stop interneting for like 5 minutes.

They're actually more annoying than anything. The only time I truly dispise having them is in public or when I'm hanging out with friends.

Last edited by The Deej; 04-14-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

As much as I hate to admit it... I'm going to have to sell my custom Waspinator once it's done.

I am in desperate need of a haircut, and I literally have no money left over from my welfare cheque after my expenses. And I'd rather not wait 2 months for my mom to get her first paycheque from the radio station. I'd hate to see what my hair looks like then.

Hmmm... karma has a way of kicking you in the ass, eh?

Last edited by The Deej; 04-15-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Blah blah blah blah Transformers. Blah blah blah blah blahblah seizures.

Blah blah blahblahblah blah money.

Amirite or amirite?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

A rather weird moment happened in my life recently.

I'm not entirely sure whether it was good or bad.

I was sitting down one day, my arm was kinda seizury. Not enough to visibly move, but it tingled and was kinda tense. It was then that I realized that the seizures are just kinda... part of life to me now. It's about as natural as tripping is to me. I actually have a hard time figuring out why people freak out when I get a cold chill until then.

It's... y'know... natural to me? I guess? Yeah, let's go with that. I've come to accept it as one of my body's natural functions, like getting a fever except without any benefits. I'm trying to work on not trying to think if people are kinda freaked out around me knowing this. Because I don't hide the fact that I have them, and if it's not strong enough to cause any significant pain or effect on my motor control, I try my damndest to hide the whole thing.

But yeah; I'm finally remembering how scary it is having seizures, it's just I'm seeing it now through an on-looker's eyes.

This is a good thing, right?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So yeah, I totally forgot about something until just now.

One of the medium-wigs at... umm... I have no idea what it's called now. I think Breton University. Let's go with that. Anyway; one of the medium-wigs there is interested in me taking their courses specializing in novelization and the like there. They're even looking to get me funded for my courses.

A big problem as to why I didn't go there instead of Maine originally is that I'd have to hitchhike ever day. The Band Council has been kind enough to arrange a bus into town and the university in the morning for anyone who needs to go.

I still have to call in and tell them I'm interested in the program, but all things considered, it's a great opportunity I shouldn't squander.

There was much rejoicing.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #19
GunnyJH
Stupid Idiot

This remake of gourmet race is epic
GunnyJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I overheard that my Xbox won't be coming in for another month or so. Most of their money has to go to paying their car off.

On the plus side, I heard that I can expect to get like 3 games with the thing.

I was only expecting the console

Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #21
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So I think my buddy got me hooked on Magic: The Gathering.

Goddamnit Doenan, why do you do this shit to me? I can only afford one hobby!

He's still cool though, letting me have my own deck from his collection of cards.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #22
Frent
Elder Statesman

Oh man, Magic. I played that back in junior high... What, a decade ago now? I feel old. The game was a bit too complicated for me to build an effective deck, and I quit. Too bad you didn't pick up the game earlier -- I gave all my old Magic cards away a couple years ago.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I've got a decent deck. I win a lot against my buddy.

I did manage to sneak one of his stronger cards into my deck, since he doesn't use Forest at all.

It's... umm... it's a.... it's a Forest Kirby thing. let's go with that, since I can't remember it's name. When you put it in play, you can sacrafice any number of your monsters, and put twice that many +1/+1 counters on it. And every one of your upkeep, it craps out 1/1 Forest Token Creatures for each counter on it.

After a few turns, I have a Sapproling army. Too bad I haven't managed to use it effectively yet.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #24
Sythe
King of Mansexing

I am, or at least used to be, a M:TGfaggot.

It's all about the red burn baby.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #25
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

The Transformers Rant

Part 1: The Fandom

Figured I should start with the fandom first, since, y'know, this is really the defining trait of anything popular. There's many types of fans, given how long the franchise has been around. Primarally though, there's two major types: casual fans and purists.

The casual fans are the ones you meet that you end up getting along with. They're along for the ride, usually happy with whatever they get (unless sucks horribly). These are the more forgiving types; though they'll still tread into purist territory. A good way to tell if you're dealing with this kind of fan is their reaction to Optimus Prime. Generally, they're happy with a big red truck. Doesn't matter the make and model of the truck, or if it's a bigrig or flatnose; as long as it's big, red, and also a truck, they're happy.

Then there's the purists. Most of the purists are G1ers; the ones where Prime must be a flatnose bigrig in exactly the same colourscheme he was before. Yellow on his mouthvents? RAGE! Those kind of guys. Now, those are the more extreme ones. There's probably just as many purists as there are casual fans; it's just the more outspoken purists tend to ruin it for everyone.

Then you get into more sub-groups, like the Otakus, who believe the Unicron Trilogy is the best thing ever, insist on using all the Japanese names, and insist that anyone not watching the Subs isn't a "True fan." There's also the "human haters" who just plain don't and never have liked the token human companion. There's also the "Anti-purist," a more out-spoken version of the casual fan. These guys also ruin it for everyone, as these are the counter-trolls to the purist trolls, who primarally insist that the older purists are "stuck in the past and incapable of accepting change." They'll also throw around the phrase, 'true fan' every now and then.

"True Fan." i.e. "Better than you." As much as I hate to see it, it gets thrown around a lot in the Transformers fandom. It's a sort of way the more outspoken fans try to put themselves on a higher pedistal than the other fans.
"True fans love Beast Wars."
"True fans love the 2007 movie."
"True fans hate the 2007 movie."
"True fans think Rumble is blue, not red."
"True fans buy the toys."
"True fans hate Furman."
"True fans verb the noun."

Yeah... that seems to be another big thing in the fandom: hate. All I see are people hating on the designs, or stories, or characters, or Hasbro. I was shocked to go to a transformers forum, look into a thread which was supposed to be a discussion on the designs of the 2007 movie, only to find joke images of stuff like "monkey + junk pile = Devastator" and the like. So someone came in, pointed out that there's a seperate section for these kinds of posts, and then went on to have give a valid counter-point towards liking the desgisn.

He was called a troll. By an admin. Y'see... it's that kind of stuff that keeps me out of Transformers message boards. It just doesn't appeal to me, all the hate being thrown around. Purists hate casual fans, who in turn hate purists, who in turn hate Hasbro, who in turn are supported by casual fans, who in turn hate Takara, who in turn are supported by the purists... and it just turns into a clusterfuck of hate.

Okay, I have no segway for this one: the initial rejecting of change. Waaaay back when, they showed preview images of Optimus Primal from Beast Wars in toy magazines. The fans learned that they were taking the franchise to a new direction. The term "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY" was bornfrom the outcry. Come the day when the cartoon comes out, Beasst Wars is heralded as the best part of the franchise. The 2007 movie designs were leaked early. Fans sent in death threats to Michael Bay (no, I'm not making this up). The movie actually comes out, and a lot of the fans are swayed towards the designs when they actually see the robots move. Animated has it's first teaser poster-- you get the idea.

The point is that almost all the fans are initially afraid of change. I was concerned when I saw the designs for Animated. At first I disliked it, then I became worried when I tried to figure out how something like that would become a toy. Not only is the cartoon really good, but the toys are very well constructed and surprisingly show accurate.

That's another thing some fans argue over: toys. Some of them insist of "perfect show-accurate paintjobs" all the time.

"I'd be willing to pay the extra $5 for it."
Maybe you would... but parents buying the toys wouldn't. That's the thing: they're not super-omfwg-collectables; they're toys. They have to meeta price point that parents would accept.

"The franchise would survive entirely on us fans, though."
No, it wouldn't. Adult collectors make up maybe 15% of toy sales at most. Add onto this the rather unique market of adults buying Transformers for their kids because they remember enjoying them so much: probably 30% on a rough estimate. Yeah... catering entirely to these two markets isn't exactly the smartest idea. Takara did that with a billion reissues of old G1 figures... but that's a discussion for another time, probably labeled Part 2: Hasbro vs. Takara. My point being is that even though they might think otherwise, it's still a business. It needs to sell a lot of toys to make more toys to sell more toys. The cartoons are also generally a means to sell toys.

Yeah... some fans dislike the overt amount of toy-selling in the cartoons. Well... what did you expect? It's a cartoon based on a franchise based on a comic book based on a goddamned toyline. Hell, you can even trace the origins of Transformers waaaay back to the original G.I. Joe figures... which was, guess what... a goddamned toyline. Of course they're going to give characters upgrades in the show consisting of nothing but a different colourscheme. They have to sell those repaints somehow.

Honestly though, as a whole, Transformers really shouldn't be taken too seriously. If you're a casual fan, sure, that's cool. If you're a purist, sure, that's also cool. Just stick with what you like, every once and awhile make a comment about how you dislike the new art direction and move along with your lives. The franchise is 25 years old. Nothing short of the bankruptsy of Hasbro will kill off Transformers, and even then, you know it would be bought by another company in an instant.

t;dr version:
Transformers are for fags.

Last edited by The Deej; 04-22-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #26
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I've been thinking I should start buying the larger Primes and start painting them for cash.

I'm considering it because I noticed how easy my Voyager Prime was to make awesome. I can always do that to larger Primes and work on those.

Hmm... how I'm going to afford, hell, even find one of those Primes again is the real question.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I think I just may have a means of making money.

I've been juggling it around for awhile, but now I know.

I'm going to customize my Leader class Movie Prime and sell it on ebay. With the money back, I'll wait a month for the ROTF Leader Primes to be released, and do the same with those, and sell them. Repeat as needed until I can get into college and go with funding for a lot of my bills.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #28
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Hasbro announced the ROTF toyline hits shelves in August.

HEY GUYS GUESS WHO'S MASTER PLAN JUST GOT THROWN DOWN THE POOPER?

Let's see... given the average time between American and trilingual releases, I can expect Leadeer Primes in September. Add onto that how little Transformers move in my town and how uninclined the stores are to restock them, we can safely say they'll start showing up in October around here.

...It was nice to be hopeful for a change I guess...

Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
Frent
Elder Statesman

I took yet more time away from working on my paper to watch clips from Transformers: The Movie. I looked up the live-action one on Wikipedia and noted that Hasbro made a nice gesture for the sequel: many of the robots will look almost exactly the same "so collectors won't have to buy new toys." Emphasis mine.

Yours is a crack habit with robot parts, Deej.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #30
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

True, I won't have to buy the toys. In fact, I'll be cutting back a bit for all the old characters (except Ratchet, since I missed out on him).

Although my master plan was buying the Leader class Primes, adding the drybrushing to them, and selling them on ebay. Would probably make $20 profit per figure.

That was going to be my main source of crack habit money over the summer. Buuuut, the line's weirdly not premiering with the movie.

Note: crack habit also includes video games, and possibly end up with Magic: The Gathering as well. The extra money would also help with buying some much liked tools like an airbrush and a dremel rotery tool. And also, paying off the debts I owe to some friends. And also the occasional haircut.

Pretty much everything except the phone bill and food.

Last edited by The Deej; 04-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.