F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles > Nintendo

Old 10-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
rehab
Tease the Gods

Send a message via AIM to rehab Send a message via Skype™ to rehab
Default Infinite Space

I just picked this game up off some good reviews a while back. It's a strategy JRPG that has you controlling an expanding ship "fleet" (looks like 5 big ships at the most), and is supposed to be a relatively large scale game. You're a low down dirty zero G dog (they actually call you that) fighting the big man of your homeworld for your right to go do what you want in space and unravel the fucking mysteries of the universe. Not sure exactly what mysteries yet, but the story hasn't gotten very far into swing yet (if you don't like games that are like that for more than the first half hour, beware). Your character kind of turn into a pirate in a "that's just how we survive" kind of way, and the dialogue is implying that you may have to be a cutthroat to go where you want in space. The main characters don't start out particularly badass, but they haven't grated too much or acted particularly like idiots so far, if you're afraid of that in a jrpg (though the main character may or may not begin the game as a filthy albeit studious hobo mechanic). Not a whole lot of explanation of why the universe is like it is, either, except for the fact that it's very anime and that apparently whoever finds a planet has sole responsibility for it- they have the right to govern it, but if somebody kinda rebelliously disobeys them, they're on their own trying to clean it up. (see you, the guy who doesn't really care how well his planet does and has dreams of the stars etc)

Basic combat kind of plays like a real-time Skies of Arcadia ship fight, and overall is micromanageable as all fuck, if not incredibly visceral since you can only move your big ships forwards and backwards and wait for the right time to choose how to attack. It's kind of funny how the game throws you into the driver seat of a complexish battle system so quickly, but you get the hang of it. I like it so far, especially the concept, but there's only real tutorials on what the fuck's going on a half hour or so into the game.

It looks like this is the type of game with a payoff long term, and I've heard it called that too. It's not that it starts out too grindy, but more like "here are the half dozen battle commands, here's the list of jobs that you'll need dudes to fill so you can run your shit, and here's a tidal wave of ways to customize/micromanage your ship, now here are the keys good luck have fun."

Did I mention this is pretty much a game about space pirates? Yeah.

Last edited by rehab; 10-21-2010 at 05:54 AM.
rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

My best friend recommended me this game ages ago and I'd forgotten about it. Lots of customization, I think he said.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
rehab
Tease the Gods

Send a message via AIM to rehab Send a message via Skype™ to rehab

lots

Buy a ship -> oh shit we have like 20 crew positions to fill -> fill out a Valkyria Chronicles-esque grid with blocky ship upgrades, putting aside outfitting it with different weapons* -> oh shit we need 4 different kinds of ships (who are like the units themselves in battle) to cover our bases-> now we need some goddamn TIE fighters to mess the enemy up -> etc
*lasers, plasma, bullets and anti-airs serve different purposes and ranges

Did I mention this game was made by Sega? Yeah.

Last edited by rehab; 10-21-2010 at 06:05 AM.
rehab is offline   Reply With Quote