• Modification Menu
  • Notes About Bombs and Torpedoes
  • Aircraft Research
  • Crew XP
  • Extra Menu Options
  • Looking Up Information
  • Information on Ground Forces
  • Links
  • Why don't I just play World of Warplanes?
  • Overwritten Post

• eNtaK's Did You Know video

Minimal system requirements
CPU: 2.2 GHz
RAM: 1 Gb
Videocard: Nvidia GeForce 6XXX series or higher; AMD Radeon 1XXX series or higher
Free space: 8 Gb

What is War Thunder?

War Thunder is a Free-To-Play online multiplayer game in Open Beta Test. It is currently an aerial combat MMO featuring major battles set in the period of 1939 to 1953. It started life as World of Planes, but changed its name to distance itself from World of Warplanes by competitor Wargaming. The Closed Beta Test for the game's Ground Forces mode became an Open Beta Test on May 13th, 2014.

The game is available on the Steam platform or through the website set up by the developers Gaijin Entertainment (not to be confused with Gaijin Games; The makers of the Bit.Trip series). It was also released on the European PS4 store on November 29, 2013. Stateside release for PS4 still pending. This Russian Indie studio's previous claims to fame were IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and the additional Free-To-Play Open Beta game Star Conflict. As of 4/17/2014 it is officially supported on Mac OS X.

The playable countries are:
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Great Britain
  • The USSR
  • The United States.

Unlike games where you have to pick a faction, you can easily switch between which country's planes you fly. Such play is encouraged by daily bonuses to XP and in-game currency for the first win for each country you can play.

Now, before I get into any great detail, let's talk about the elephant in the room for Free-To-Play games: The premium. Just to get it out of the way.

Quick Interface Note:

Above the plane you have selected are little icons.

From this menu you can change which vehicle is in this slot, modify your vehicle's ammunition load-outs (like turning off tracers), spend crew experience (we'll get to that later), apply decals or custom skins in Customization, take a test flight, or see if they have uploaded historical information about this particular vehicle.

Match Types

In Arcade you really only have to worry about two types of matches. I don't have a lot of experience in the other types, but I may add them later:

Ground Strike: You need to destroy all of the enemy's ground units and bases. Aircraft should probably be secondary.

Domination: You need to capture airfields and hold off the enemy from taking them from you.

In-Game Economy (Boring)

War Thunder uses two main currencies: Silver Lions and Golden Eagles. Golden Eagles being the premium currency. To understand how Eagles affect play I've included a few screenshots. The first of which is how much Eagles
currently sell for in real money.

As you can see, you can spend these on a variety of things.

There are a number of premium planes for each country. The ones on the American tree sell for around 250 to 3900 Eagles each between ranks 1 and 3. These may only be purchased with Eagles.

Silver Lions may be purchased for Eagles. The current breakdown of that is included below. You can earn Lions fairly easily just by playing the game.

For a good match on low-rank Arcade mode, you might earn the same amount you would get if you spent 12 Eagles on Lions (this is based on a single sample match played and may not reflect individual experiences). The only way to spend convertible research points is Golden Eagles. You earn these with every match but using them requires a cost in Eagles. The screenshot below demonstrates a minimum conversion.

You can also boost your crews with Eagles, as seen below, but we'll get into crew level and everything a little later.

Now we get into Premium Accounts. The breakdown is provided in the screenshot below, but basically you can also pay a number of Golden Eagles toward getting bonuses for a length of time depending on how many Golden Eagles you put in.

This can give you a little extra push if you think you're a more casual player who wants things maybe a little faster due to other time commitments.

Also keep in mind Squads and Squadrons are different things. Your Squadron is your guild in essence, and costs a sum of 2500 Eagles to start ($14 USD), as listed on the official website. Squads are just groups of two or more people who can go into battle together.

You can also unlock decals before earning their required feats, but it's usually best just to earn those.

Decals may be used in the customization screen where you can apply two of them at a time (4 with premium) to each plane.

Control Modes

So how do you start? Well, first, you should probably set your control mode. There are 4 modes available.
  • Mouse Aim
  • Simplified Controls
  • Realistic Controls
  • Full Aircraft Controls

Mouse Aim: You tilt your plane up and down and side-to-side with the mouse. You can still use flaps and such with the buttons you've mapped them to, but they're mostly unnecessary. Also, the Virtual Instructor tells you that you're going too fast, you dummy. Let off the throttle. This is what I play with because I find it to be the most fun. Recommended for Arcade mode.

Simplified Controls: Not entirely sure, since all it seems to do for me is make the plane maybe a little more difficult to control. From the control types panel: "The player can customize the controls for any device, and the Virtual Instructor helps pilot the aircraft".

Realistic Controls: I'll level with you, I'm just going to include the game's description of this one and the next one, since I don't much understand how real planes work so paraphrasing is folly. "The aircraft controls can be customized for any device, there are more control parameters, and the Virtual Instructor is turned off, but the trim tabs, the radiator controls, the mixture controls, and other components are still controlled automatically."

Full Aircraft Controls: "The pilot chooses any device and controls the complete range of aircraft settings, so nothing stands between the player and his aircraft. This control scheme is meant for real aviation connoisseurs and experts, for those who want to feel like a real pilot." In summation: Good luck taking off. You'll need it.

Some difficulty levels require you to use certain control schemes for them. So keep that in mind. Make sure to go into the controls in the main menu and set them to your desired setting.

Now that we've got your controls all squared let's see about flying in a match. Just mouse over that big button that says To Battle, pick a difficulty, and punch it.

(The little checkboxes beneath the button are for auto-repair, which spends your Lions to repair your planes after a battle, and the one on the right is for replenishing your ammunition after a battle. There are reasons to uncheck them, but I have not had them explained to my satisfaction)

next post

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 05-27-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Raven Serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

• Matches
  • Results Screen
  • Modification Research
  • Modification Menu
  • Notes About Bombs and Torpedoes
  • Aircraft Research

Matches

If you picked Arcade, your match may look like this:

Keep in mind I'm playing with the graphics set to "minimum" pre-1.39 patch.

You'll notice a circle appear when I get close to an enemy plane. This is an indication of where the game says you should shoot to get a hit. If you'll notice, I'm aiming ahead of this. That is because the game is kind of wrong. The problem occurs because, well, I'll let Arthur explain that one:

For the full thing, you only need to watch until 1:30. But a couple of things happen in this match that are kind of fun.

If you're playing on Realistic, your match may look like this:

You'll notice that while there are indications of who is an enemy, there are no targeting circles. There is also now a real risk of your pilot blacking out if you make a turn too hard. Keep that in mind.

If you're playing Simulation, I don't have any footage of that, but here's probably a close simulation via a tutorial cutscene that was broken when I recorded this:

Here's a brief bit about Simulation battles in the first 25 seconds of this video:

Now that you've flown your first match (or pretended to for the sake of the guide), let's take a look at the results screen.

Results Screen

There's a lot here so let's start at the beginning.

First you'll see Aircraft Destroyed which is pretty self-explanatory. Get the last shot on an enemy before it blows and you get one of these.

Surface Units are things like tanks, AAA, Pillboxes, and Artillery. There's usually a lot of these on the map, but with 50 Cal machine guns all you'll be able to hurt are things like Armored Cars, AAA, Artillery, Howitzers, Landing Craft, and Light Pillboxes (this last one was only discovered by me recently). Everything else you'll need to drop bombs on so try and have at least one bomber on your team to get some of that done.

Critical Hits mean you've damaged some vital part of the plane severely.

Assists happen when something gets destroyed, but you didn't get the last hit. You can get quite a few assists by tagging lots of aircraft with at least one hit.

Both Battle Time and Activity tell you how long you were flying in a mission. Activity specifically telling you what percentage of the game you were actually up in the air and not crashed or choosing a new plane.

Mission Reward just tells you how much plane research points you received (the blue flags, which we'll get into a bit later) and how many lions you got specifically for winning said match (losing naturally results in lower numbers).

Battle Trophies are these things:

As far as I or anyone I know can figure out, you get these randomly. I don't think there is any real way to make them appear at this screen.

Achievements are things like this:

You get them for things like bombing the most targets, shooting down the most aircraft, getting the most assists, and getting the first and last kill of a match.

Below Total we have how much you get for Modification Research (we'll get to that in a bit) and Vehicle Research (ditto). This includes research points you earned during the battle for doing things.

Below that is the standard pitch for going Premium and a number of Convertible RP you earned. The explanation of that is in the In-Game Economy section in the first post.

There are more items that can appear, but they are also pretty self-explanatory including Base Damage and Base Destruction.

There are also buttons to save a Replay of your mission, or share your results to Facebook. Replays have a lot of HUD elements missing and you can turn the camera with the mouse. They look like this.

This particular replay corresponds to the picture of the results screen above.

Now we click the Player Statistics tab and have a look at
this:

(Note: this picture represents a post-1.39 match)

Skull is deaths, the Star wrapped in the laurel wreath represents Assists, Tank is ground targets destroyed, Plane is aircraft destroyed, and Star is your overall score, which results in you being ranked in your team for a match. The shields with numbers on them represent a group of pilots who have gone in together.

Tickets and Zones are a little beyond me, but let's say you don't want your team to run out of either. You can also get this screen mid-match by holding TAB.

Modifications Research

Don't be surprised if this screen pops up before or after the results screen:

This happens when you get enough research points to complete the component you were saving up for. Here is a sample below:

Components each do different things, which can even be different across each plane, so look for any negative markers and if you don't like them remove them in the modification menu. Sometimes this screen looks different if you unlocked multiple researches over all the planes you flew, but it functions the same. You buy the researched modification with lions and assign your next research.

Modification Menu

Here you can adjust whether you want stealth belts (no tracers), and such if you have them unlocked for that plane. You can also deselect modifications you unlocked if you don't like the effects they give.

Notes About Bombs and Torpedoes

I'm not an expert, but be aware whether you're bringing bombs or torpedoes into a match. Torpedoes only damage aquatic targets due to how they are detonated. Bombs can damage aquatic targets, but only if you hit them directly. These aren't depth charges. Also take note of what yield bomb you're bringing and prioritize your targets appropriately, or inappropriately like I do. Please note you're not going to know which map you're starting before you choose your load-out, so bombs are probably the safest bet.

Something important you should also keep in mind regarding bringing bombs is that some bombers like some of the Japanese ones have a really weird thing where they don't start with bombs, so you have to buy each individual one once you unlock them. If you buy 3, you'll have 3 for the whole match, unlike most bombers that can reload as many bombs as is possible for how long the match goes. These bombers also tend to have horrendous reload times. Like 5 minutes compared to a minute in something like a Blenheim.

Aircraft Research

From this screen, accessible by the big Research button, you can choose which plane you want to contribute your Vehicle Research Points to. The needed values are listed with each plane. You can't research the next plane in a line until you have researched the one before it. Also note you need to spend lions to buy and equip your crews with the new plane.

As of the 1.39 patch: Research system and speed to unlock new planes has been changed: to unlock ranks 2, 3, 4 and 5 player has to unlock 6 planes, but RP needed to unlock a new aircraft for ranks 2, 3, 4 and first aircraft of rank 5 is decreased by 25% or more. That means that all planes can be unlocked 25% faster.

Next post we'll look at a few other things on the menus and at least one more thing you should do.

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 05-14-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
PSfanatic
Fwoosh

I am waiting till they add tank combat, cant wait till I have something to play that isn't World of Gold(pay2win) ammo..
PSfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

• Crew XP
  • Extra Menu Options
  • Looking Up Information
  • Information on Ground Forces
  • Links
  • Why don't I just play World of Warplanes?
  • Posts from Old Thread

Crew XP

Now that you've done a couple matches what we're going to take a look is the Crew XP menu. It's the little button featuring the bust of a man that sits above your plane when you select it.

It's not quite certain to me how fast you earn crew xp since it does not seem to show up on the results screen, but here is the menu. It contains a lot of stuff, so I'll break it down.

Keen Vision: This affects the maximum distance you can get the little red popup for an enemy in front of you.

Awareness: This is like Keen Vision, but it affects the area around you instead of in front.

G-Tolerance: This is how well your pilot or gunners handle Gs. Like to make turns that cause you to start blacking out like I do? Well, you might need this. Or you might not, if I've misunderstood how it affects play in Arcade mode.

Stamina: Allows crews to resist fatigue. Those Gs may or may not take a toll over a long battle.

Vitality: Is your pilot or gunner's health. Getting knocked out a lot in about 1 shot? Maybe you should get some of this.

Number of Experienced Gunners: This one is expensive to upgrade, but worth it if you have more than one gunner shooting down things behind you. If this number is smaller than the number of total gunners a plane has, you aren't working at peak performance.

Fire Accuracy: Easy, the accuracy of your gunners.

Fire Precision: Reduces bullet scatter for gunners.

Repair Speed: Affects the rate your aircraft is repaired at the airfield or hanger.

Repair Rank: Flying a rank one plane and want to repair it? Without repair rank one you cannot even do that. Possible that Reserve rank planes can be repaired at rank 0, but don't quote me on that.

Reload Speed: How fast weapons are reloaded at the airfield or in the air (reloading mid-air is only available in Arcade mode).

Weapon Maintenance: Reduces overheating and spread of bombs and rockets.

You can also do Qualification. That requires getting your crew level super high, but it can do ridiculous things for you if you have it.

Extra Menu Items

If you click on the menu you can also find a few things we haven't talked about yet. There is a Leaderboard where you can check how you stack up against other players.

A Tutorial you can access that has you perform some basic actions to get acquainted with how the game works.

Dynamic Campaign and Single Missions where you can play some single-player stuff if you're still a little nervous about playing with other people (multiplayer is currently disabled for these options).

Looking Up Information

The game also comes with its on Encyclopedia which can be accessed by the upper-left menu.

You can look up things about:
Dogfighting Tactics

Performing stunts

Historical information

and Ammunition Types

Information about Ground Forces:

Ground forces is now in Open Beta as of May 13th, 2014. Once I get a little experience with it, I'll see about linking to a post or two in this thread where I try and explain how stuff works. But if you don't want to wait for that post, the instructions on how you participate in the Open Beta portion are here.

Links:
Official War Thunder Forum
War Thunder Wiki
War Thunder on Twitter
Unofficial Tutorials (Warning: May be outdated)
Storify on Someone's first impressions

Why don't I just play World of Warplanes?

Well....

Overwritten Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSfanatic
I am waiting till they add tank combat, cant wait till I have something to play that isn't World of Gold(pay2win) ammo..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Serpent
I hope it won't be a disappointment and that I've described things adequately. I did make a storify about the tweets that brought the game to my attention though. It also kind of explains why I'm playing on the EU server. I'm always worried I'm using the wrong phrases.
So that's everything. Hopefully you won't kill me for being wordy, but I love talking about this game and I wanted to make this a sort of guide. If you've noticed something I forgot to explain, tell me and I'll work to link it in the rough table of contents up front. I'll be adding to that as much as I can and make changes as I see them. Also make sure to tell me if some part of these posts is broken. I may have misplaced a bracket or something somewhere.

baby moses

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 05-13-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Dommykins

I haven't played this game in a while (1.28 maybe?), but it's pretty damn fun. Have they removed SLAV BIAS from those Russian planes yet or are they still flying tanks that turn on a dime?

Playername is Dommykins.

Last edited by Dommykins; 06-11-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Dommykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
PSfanatic
Fwoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Serpent View Post
I hope it won't be a disappointment and that I've described things adequately. I did make a storify about the tweets that brought the game to my attention though. It also kind of explains why I'm playing on the EU server. I'm always worried I'm using the wrong phrases.
Great thing about War thunder is if you want to play with someone on the US server you just change your server and you have all the planes/tanks you unlocked on the EU and vice versa.
PSfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSfanatic View Post
Great thing about War thunder is if you want to play with someone on the US server you just change your server and you have all the planes/tanks you unlocked on the EU and vice versa.
Hmmm, I hadn't even considered that they might not have transferred. It's cool to know now that they do though.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Oh! Apparently there was an update today!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Hey, if you downloaded the game before today, you may want to open the launcher and let it download the update for a few hours, even if you weren't going to play it for a while.

ALSO!
You will automatically receive only one of them (premium plane of the Rank 1) after your first battle for the desired nation. Choose your first battle carefully!

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 06-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I'm getting word Russian planes were rebalanced so they are no longer unstoppable monsters. That's good.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Sorry for not playing for a while. I was trying to figure out which plane to get in the promotion.

I went with Russian because they're apparently still really good, and I think the Russian one has 4 machine guns... I think...

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 06-20-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I went with Russian because they're apparently still really good, and I think the Russian one has 4 machine guns... I think...

Now, there is the talk of Squadrons. The thing about Squadrons is they cost a lot of premium currency to set up and I've already joined one with some other friends.

If someone wanted to set one up for the forum, it would be cool of them (and I would give them their own info below the general player list). But as for me, I'll probably be sticking to flying with all of you through the friends list.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

This is the kind of run that makes you feel like royalty:

Until you realize you only got second place in the rankings.

Now THAT GUY is badass.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Jake
In a word or a look

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake

I'll get this once Iget a flight stick. Shouldn't be long, I'm prepping for Star Citizen after all.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I'm not sure which of these is the result of my effectiveness going down:

1. The late night crowd being pretty super good at the game and few
2. My opponents might be getting tougher because of how leveling is going.
3. The British planes just might be shit.

I only consider the third one because I started (when I first started playing) in British planes and did terribly... moved onto other planes and did better... and now I'm doing kinda awful now that I'm back leveling Britain. Can you believe their first bomber is a torpedo bomber? I didn't realize until I had already gone out in it. Didn't stop me from trying to drop a torpedo onto an armored car though.

I'm sure if it's just going up against better players I'll improve.

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 06-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I'm still trying to decide if these are good tutorials (I mean, I found them through the main War Thunder website, so they seem to think so, maybe). I'm only on #2 though, so I'm figuring this out. #1 does have some important information that I couldn't quite summarize though.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Woo! Finally got my 8-Ball decal for shooting down 15 players. Just ten more and I can change it. I've had my double medal thingy for blowing up 50 ground targets for a while now though.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Ground Forces: Work in Progress

I haven't quite gotten War Thunder running on this other computer, but I have ideas on how to do that now.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #19
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

War Thunder is now on Steam.

Also, there was a huge update recently. It seems pretty significant, including this gem:

Quote:
No air kills will be awarded with air collisions.
Maybe this will reduce the number of intentional collisions.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #20
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Serpent View Post
Maybe this will reduce the number of intentional collisions.
It did, but there are people wearing their "Rammer" titles with pride. I had one guy on my own team today who rammed me from behind, presumably on purpose. He had been taking shots at me since the match started, and then just flew under me and pulled up. So be on the lookout for anyone with a name similar to "I'mThatGuy". I remembered this poorly. Prepare for the video! It is here!

Anyway, jeez, I have a ton of stuff I need to do to rejazz up the OP. There have been some mechanics changes so all the UI screenshots are outdated.

While I ponder exactly how much I need to do, have a video of me being a doofus.

Keep in mind I'm playing at the absolute lowest settings.

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 03-22-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #21
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Updated the OP into 3 posts.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #22
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Right now the servers are melting, but when they stop doing that, I'll check and see if I need to change any information.

Here is what everyone was waiting for though:

Quote:
Ground forces are now available for all players in open beta test (Ground Forces progress achieved by players in the CBT will be wiped)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #23
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

This was posted separately for some reason.

I was debating putting it up when I got the Ground Forces information all up, as a header, but I'll just post it now.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #24
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

eNtaK goes over a few things that I didn't get into

Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Mixed battles between aviation and Ground forces will be turned on tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #26
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

ATTENTION: American PlayStation®4 players
Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
#WarThunder will be unavailable on all platforms due to update release from 07:00 to 09:00 GMT June 19th. Premium time will be compensated.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #28
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

War Thunder 1.41.27 - Tank Locations Changes
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #29
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

I'm getting some major FPS drops when I drive forward in tanks. It doesn't seem to really affect play, but it's weird to watch your FPS drop to 7FPS while driving forward. I have a hunch it has to do with setting the foliage range or whatever it's called all the way down (this was a tip for not having my vision blocked with grass someone suggested).

Anyway, really I just wanted to post this screenshot. Bullet decals!

Some people have also been having trouble with WT giving their Anti-Virus a false positive which is resulting in them not being able to finish downloading updates and being unable to play because of it. I'm going to have a talk with someone who got it fixed and see if I can't give a rundown of that later.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #30
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I'll get this once Iget a flight stick. Shouldn't be long, I'm prepping for Star Citizen after all.
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT NOW. ON PS4. I SURE DID.