F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles

Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Default Kickstarter General

Hey, so. I have been pretty big into Kickstarter lately and I know we've all had the thing here and there that we donated to or would like to share, and figured a general thread would be useful.

YAY!

Anyways, here is a thing I want to donate to soon, it looks awesome.

Shovel Knight - Coming to PC, WiiU and 3DS!

They're at 66% of their goal with 20 days remaining, and things are looking pretty good. Virt is doing the soundtrack and that art looks just fabulous. *w*
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

There was also Story War, but the funding has sadly ended. Still, there will be ways to buy it and stuff. This was also the first thing I donated to that was successfully funded. FUELING A REAL ADDICTION.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Torment: Tides of Numerea is about the only thing to come along that I'd like to donate to. Trustworthy developers making a spiritual sucessor to my favorite RPG? Low risk, high reward.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Whoever moved this thread, I placed it in In The Media because there are a lot of neat non-video game related Kickstarters, too. But I suppose the "bigger" ones are usually games.

I guess it's worth noting that the OUYA launches this week, too.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Hoogie
S•T•Y•L•E

Hopefully the Rifftrax Tiwilight Kickstarter gets what they want. They exceeded their goal but the studio could still deny it maybe. Still worth donating for goodies.

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Totally just threw $10 at Shovel Knight not only because it looks fabulous but there's now a tie-in with Story War.

I might up it to $15 for the chance of a 3DS copy but I need a 3DS first, hmm..
Old 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Shovel Knight scored Manami Matsumae. Pretty hype.
RadiantBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Inagi
>< c °A°>

Send a message via MSN to Inagi

Shovel Knight looks cool as hell. I wish I had the scratch to throw fifteen at it. It's plausible my mom gets hired before the 8 days runs out SO MAYBE I'LL BE ABLE TO DO IT.

This is exactly the kind of thing I want on my 3DS.

The fact Manami Matsumae is scoring it is absolutely insane, too. Wow.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

I totally just upped my donation amount because you're right, that is perfect for a 3DS. ;w;
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I want it on my WiiU personally. I actually like a lot of the indie games on the gamepad.
RadiantBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #11
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

TBFP did a video on Shovel Knight:

So yeah definitely backing this shit.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Backed Shovel Knight, looking forward to it.

Also, did they removed the 3DS version from the 15 dollar tier in the last few days or something, since I see you guys talking about it having the 3DS one with it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

... Oh, jeez, maybe they did. That's kind of a bummer.

Though, I'm told you can't edit them after people donate to them. Did you read over all the updates and stuff? I'll look again.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the FAQ
How do I get Shovel Knight on a different platform besides PC?
Simply choose a pledge level that is $15 or higher and when the kickstarter ends, we'll send you a questionnaire asking you which platform you'd like to be on!
also this! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...t/posts/431718

Last edited by Addy; 04-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Nuva
yes i vape

Ah man, I was hoping there was a 3DS version D:
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

There will be eventually! :B And WiiU and looks like it's also coming out on Steam, fuck yeah
Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
Nuva
yes i vape

Well, it looks good, that's for sure. Glad its been well past funded.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Aw man, I was hoping it would be PC copy and the 3DS one. If I can choose just one, I'll just go with PC. I'll probably pick it up for 3DS and Wii U after though! Looks really good!

EDIT: Think I might actually end up giving them another 10 dollars through their Paypal setup and get the Steam key from there and a 3DS one from my kickstarter pledge.

Last edited by Tombstone; 04-10-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Jeff

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oad-redemption

Road Redemption. It is aiming to a spiritual successor to Road Rash. Only halfway funded so far which 2 weeks ago. It looks bad ass.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...mong-the-sleep

Among The Sleep. Cool lookin horror game where you play as a 2 year old.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
Inagi
>< c °A°>

Send a message via MSN to Inagi

I think we had a thread for that a couple years ago. Cool to see it pop up again.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ore-than-album

19 days left to donate to five of probably the coolest nicest dudes who make beep boops ever
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #22
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inagi View Post
I think we had a thread for that a couple years ago. Cool to see it pop up again.
Yep, I made a thread for that with a video, then promptly forgot about it.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #23
Jeff

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...mong-the-sleep Playable alpha of Among the Sleep is on the kickstarter page. IT is scaring the poop out of me
Old 06-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
TheResult
TheReturner

Send a message via Skype™ to TheResult

Unrelated to VIDYA GAMES but there was a recent project on Kickstarter called "Above the Game", and it was basically one of those how-to guides on picking up women. Which would normally be ha-ha-no-big-deal because whatever, some guys seem to think there's a formula for flirting and they'll probably fail.

Except the guy who wrote the book posted some excerpts from it on Reddit.

Quote:
”5) Get CLOSE to her, damn it!

To quote Rob Judge, “Personal space is for pussies.” I already told you that the most successful seducers are those who can’t keep their hands off of women. Well you’re not gonna be able to do that if you aren’t in close! ”

“All the greatest seducers in history could not keep their hands off of women. They aggressively escalated physically with every woman they were flirting with. They began touching them immediately, kept great body language and eye contact, and were shameless in their physicality. Even when a girl rejects your advances, she KNOWS that you desire her. That’s hot. It arouses her physically and psychologically.”

“Decide that you’re going to sit in a position where you can rub her leg and back. Physically pick her up and sit her on your lap. Don’t ask for permission. Be dominant. Force her to rebuff your advances.”

“Sex

Pull out your cock and put her hand on it. Remember, she is letting you do this because you have established yourself as a LEADER. Don’t ask for permission, GRAB HER HAND, and put it right on your dick.”

- Source
So hey, giving this book to desperate guys who really want to get laid? Not such a good idea.

Unfortunately, this enlightening news wasn't really found out until just a FEW hours before the project's funding was OVER, so it did- in fact- manage to get funded, despite a pretty big petition asking Kickstarter to take it down. Kickstarter's official response was this:

Quote:
Dear everybody,

On Wednesday morning Kickstarter was sent a blog post quoting disturbing material found on Reddit. The offensive material was part of a draft for a “seduction guide” that someone was using Kickstarter to publish. The posts offended a lot of people — us included — and many asked us to cancel the creator’s project. We didn’t.

We were wrong.

Why didn’t we cancel the project when this material was brought to our attention? Two things influenced our decision:

The decision had to be made immediately. We had only two hours from when we found out about the material to when the project was ending. We’ve never acted to remove a project that quickly.
Our processes, and everyday thinking, bias heavily toward creators. This is deeply ingrained. We feel a duty to our community — and our creators especially — to approach these investigations methodically as there is no margin for error in canceling a project. This thinking made us miss the forest for the trees.

These factors don’t excuse our decision but we hope they add clarity to how we arrived at it.

Let us be 100% clear: Content promoting or glorifying violence against women or anyone else has always been prohibited from Kickstarter. If a project page contains hateful or abusive material we don’t approve it in the first place. If we had seen this material when the project was submitted to Kickstarter (we didn’t), it never would have been approved. Kickstarter is committed to a culture of respect.

Where does this leave us?

First, there is no taking back money from the project or canceling funding after the fact. When the project was funded the backers’ money went directly from them to the creator. We missed the window.

Second, the project page has been removed from Kickstarter. The project has no place on our site. For transparency’s sake, a record of the page is cached here.

Third, we are prohibiting “seduction guides,” or anything similar, effective immediately. This material encourages misogynistic behavior and is inconsistent with our mission of funding creative works. These things do not belong on Kickstarter.

Fourth, today Kickstarter will donate $25,000 to an anti-sexual violence organization called RAINN. It’s an excellent organization that combats exactly the sort of problems our inaction may have encouraged.

We take our role as Kickstarter’s stewards very seriously. Kickstarter is one of the friendliest, most supportive places on the web and we’re committed to keeping it that way. We’re sorry for getting this so wrong.

Thank you,

Kickstarter
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
Hoogie
S•T•Y•L•E

On one hand kickstarter is great because people can fund whatever they want. On the other hand fuck these scumbags.

I just don't see why kickstarter couldn't put funding it on hold or something instead of letting it go through and apologizing later. But big charity donations are good. Good job on that part.

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #26
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

They'd already missed the processing window or something and it was too late to stop it.

I read somewhere that the guy and his publishers are already in talks of rewriting it and making it less.. awful.

Additionally it's worth noting that Kickstarter donated roughly 30 times to RAINN what they actually made from that guy's project, as they take about ten percent from successful funds.

(Also, Result, this thread was originally intended to be placed elsewhere but it tends to be video gamey so it was stuck here I guess??)
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #27
Standing Freddy
The Best Looking Guy Here

Send a message via AIM to Standing Freddy

It is the Kickstarter General thread though, right? I dunno. WE MUST CRACK DOWN THOUGH ONLY GAME STUFF HERE.

On topic though, that's cool that they donated so much.

Last edited by Standing Freddy; 06-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Standing Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

You can get pretty much anything funded through Kickstarter, it seems.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #29
Jeff

Um holy shit. So the way to seduce them according to this guy is sexually harass the girl. I thought I seen douchey books like this before but that takes the cake.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

due to the negative publicity the author is working with somebody to rewrite it and make it less scummy but it's still probably not going to be anything worth reading