F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles

Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Default The Walking Dead: The Game

I looked several times and never saw a thread for this, which is a shame, because the story is absolutely great.

For those who don't know, The Walking Dead game, like a lot of the Telltale games, is an adventure game.

This one has a pretty big emphasis on players choices and how they effect the story, even the most minor dialog choices have an effect on future dialog, and every Episode has several big choices that have a huge effect on the entire story, effecting how other characters think of you, or who lives and dies.

Three of the five planned episodes are out, (Episode 3 was releases very recently), and Telltale announced a sequel not too long ago.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes games with a good story, because I definitely enjoy the story in this. The adventure game elements are pretty simple, which may be a good or a bad thing depending on your thoughts on the genre.

Last edited by Penakoto; 12-16-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Panther
Meow

These games rule. The story and characters are fantastic. I love the timed dialogue selection and how suddenly the major choices just smack you and make you feel like an awful person. I still have yet to play 2 and 3 but the first one was awesome.
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

The second episode is my favorite of the three so far, even if the biggest twist was a little predictable.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Hace
hello

Love this series so far, even if the choices you make don't have that grand of an influence on the story as a whole. The whole experience feels so personal and it's a been a blast through each chapter so far. I'll second that Chapter 2 was my favorite so far as well, but overall it's kind of hard to compare them in that respect honestly.
Hace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

So what did you guys do in each of the Episodes? Like the big decisions.

Spoiler for Episode 1 and 2 Spoilers:
Episode 1
---
I stayed honest, I tried to rescue Shaun, I sided with Kenny, I didn't give the girl the gun. These I just went with what seemed right at the time.

Between Doug and Carley, I went with Doug. Even though you don't get much time with him in Episode 1, I liked his character the most out of anyone, besides Clemintine. He also seemed to be in the more dire situation.

Episode 2
---
I cut the guys leg off after trying everything else that seemed possible,

Gave food to Clem, Duck, Mark and Larry. The kids and the people working on the fence, seemed logical.

Didn't shoot the crazy lady.

Helped in trying to resuscitate Larry, no way I was going to murder the guy without at least trying. The salt lick crushing his head scarred me shitless.

Sparred the brothers, they were dead anyways.

Looted the car, for the groups sake, chances are the owners were dead anyways.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Hace
hello

Spoiler for Episode 1 + 2 Spoilers:
Ep. 1
---
I kind of wanted to keep my past hidden so I did lie to Hershel in the end.

I went to save Duck, since the Shaun was kind of fucked in my eyes either way (I was right!)

I kind of flipflopped between arguments when Larry was freaking out about Duck. At first I tried to reason with him, which Kenny didn't like, but eventually I just got pissed off at him and told him off.

I saved Carly, partly because she has a gun and kind of served as another "straight man" alongside Lee, which the group desperately needed.

Ep. 2
---
I cut the guy's leg off too, although I wish Mark spoke up about the chain sooner. Thanks for wasting time, dick.

I gave food to Clem, Duck, Larry and Carly. Kids get food first obviously, Larry because he's old and I wanted to get on better terms with him, and Carly because she is the least awful person there.

I didn't shoot the crazy chick.

I tried to save Larry as well, only to get a close-up of his Salt Lickality unfortunately. Fucking Kenny.

Almost killed Danny, but didn't at the last second. I didn't kill Andy either, since walking away from him killed him more anyway B).

Didn't steal from the car though, if the battery was still running and the lights were on, then there was a chance the owners were still probably nearby (but yeah they were in all likelihood dead too). Also Clem wasn't down with it, and I'd rather stick by her rather than weaken the bond.

Did you do Episode 3 yet? I was afraid of spoiling that for you, so I just kind of omitted it.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

There's also the possibility that...

Spoiler for Episode 2:
The car belonged to the bandits, something I don't think a lot of people considered. Fuck those guys.

How did you even feed Carley? Every video I watch, Carley/Doug always refuse and my game was no different. i would've fed Doug over Larry if I could.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Hace
hello

Spoiler for Well when...:
I gave Carly the apple, and she had special dialogue for it so I guess it's dependent on what you give them. My guess would be that Doug would take the beef jerky (or maybe the crackers and cheese, since he's a bit of a manchild).
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Spoiler for Episode 2:
I tried the Jerky with him, he refused.

I get the feeling the Apple gives special dialog, because giving the Apple to Clemintine got me a unique response.

I'll experiment sometime, because now I'm curious.

Oh and, Episode 3 choices, I couldn't fit this in my other post because of the PS3 browsers character limit.

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Shot the poor girl. She was as good as dead in my eyes, and like hell I'm just gonna let her get slowly ripped apart.

Left the bitch on the side of the road. I never really liked her, even though I tried to help Larry, but she killed Doug, who was just an all around cool guy, At least Doug came out looking like a hero.

Fought Kenny, this choice I kinda just stumbled on, no idea how to trigger talking him down.

Shot Duck myself, no father should have to do that.

Saved Omar because, well, he was fucking limping and actually needed the help. Kind of a disappointing last decision for this Episode really.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Hace
hello

Spoiler for Apple Tactics:
Huh, I want to try to mess around with the apple some too. By the way if you want to check out specific moments in the game without messing up your own profile, just copy your save and go crazy with that.

Spoiler for Ep. 3 Mad Libs:
I shot the chick; she was bitten and surrounded, it was the least I can do. Fuck you Larry, I still have humanity.

If you have Carly still saved, she recommends that you spill the beans on your past to the group. I did it for everyone except Ben and Kenny. I think you can see how this didn't exactly pan out for me.

I didn't leave Lilly for the Walkers to get her. Did she deserve it? Maybe. But this is a fucked up situation, and people do fucked up things without realizing it sometimes. Besides if I left her to die, I feel like I'd be losing my own humanity, and leaving a poor example for Clem.

And then she steals the RV and well fuck. HAVE FUN REPAIRING THE FUCKED UP RADIATOR YOU STUPID BITCH

Didn't fight Kenny, didn't even know that was a thing until I saw the endgame stats.

I ended up shooting Duck, Kenny had kind of gone through enough shit at that point, he didn't need to add "Butchered Own Son" to his list of shit that went wrong that day. I saved the chick first since Omir was way ahead of her and I thought he could just haul himself up. But he got on in the end so WHATEVER.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Saving Doug didn't give me the option to confess to anyone, since he doesn't know, so it wasn't until Lilly drops the bomb that anyone found out.

Buuuuuuut, because I told Kenny and his family that Lee's parents owned the drug store way back in Episode 1, Kenny was cool with it. Nobody else seemed to mind much.

I was kind of impressed by this, because telling Kenny and his family that in Episode 1, was totally optional and easy to miss.

Oh, and I don't know if you read the comics or not, but...

Spoiler for Episode 3, and the Comics:
Lilly canonically lives whether you leave her or take her, she appears in the comics after the events of the game.

If you leave her behind she just kinda runs off after seeing a walker approaching.

Last edited by Penakoto; 08-31-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

This game is fantastic. Probably Telltale's best stuff. Also let me try to remember my choices from what you guys put.

Spoiler for wahp Episode 1+2:

Episode 1:

I ended up keeping my past hidden. Basically just hid the fact that I was going to jail when it started.

I went to save Duck.

I think I tried to stay a little neutral during the fight between Larry and Kenny about Duck, trying to get everyone the calm the fuck down, but I think I might have been siding with Kenny in the end. Been awhile.

I gave the girl the gun. I knew she wanted to die as a human, not as a Walker.

I saved Doug since the guy's fucking MacGyver. And Carly's situation seemed like something she could have easily broken free of.

Episode 2:

I cut the guy's leg off after seeing no other way. Who even knows.

I gave the food to Clem, Duck (eg, the two most obvious ones), Mark (which probably makes me different from a lot of other people. I liked Mark a lot though), and Lily, in hopes that Larry wouldn't get pissed off at me since I gave the food to his daughter. Not so much!

I didn't shoot the crazy woman.

I couldn't stop Clementine from eating people She ate one bit of it and I was like shit fuck. I ended up getting more pissed off at Larry during it and was like "EAT YOUR FUCKIN FILL BITCH"

I tried to save Larry, and it glitched out where it stayed on the salt lick until I made one more chest compression. I sort of just sat there, slowly clicking the mouse one more time in shock.

Didn't kill the brothers, and I didn't punch Andy to the point of super fucking his face up.

Like Hace, I didn't steal from the car. I couldn't let my girl down.

Now for Episode 3!

Spoiler for Episode 3:

I woke up at 6 AM and the first thing I did was start playing, so my decision making was sort of shit. I ended up not shooting the girl. Got a fuck ton of supplies though.

Couldn't save Doug. I didn't leave Lily behind though. Of course then she took the RV, then I remembered she was a character in the comics, so they were probably setting her up for that.

I ended up asking Ben one more time when we got to train if he had done it and it said "He'll remember that". Later when he then told me that he had been in fact, the one giving the bandits the shit, I told him to stay the fucking hell quiet about it. I didn't want people stringing him up, and he obviously really fucking regrets it. He's a good kid, and I know his reasoning for it was to keep the bandits away from us.

I shot Duck. Kenny didn't need to go through that as well.

I ended up talking Kenny down.

Also during the choice between Christine and Omir, I was just like adsakdad, and saved Christine. Omir then ended up pulling himself up.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

EPISODE 4 PREVIEW

Oh man, I am hyped!

Spoiler for "Regarding the preview, and past episode spoilers:
Fuck you Ben, Doug dies saving your life and you pull THAT SHIT?

I get the feeling Kenny isn't going to last much longer, he's lost everything and now he has hit the bottle. How long before some heroic sacrifice or he just gives up on living anymore? Regardless of how or why, I would be surprised if he isn't killed off in Episode 4.

Chuck is still cool, the other two from the end of Episode 3 still exist, not much else to say until the Episode actually comes out. Hope it's soon, if I remember correctly it was less than a week after the preview was released that Episode 3 came out, so we'll see.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

It's out, I think.

Too bad I found out so late, but oh well, gives me stuff to look forward to.

EDIT: Eh, guess not, but the Achievements were updated, and another update that did... something. So maybe tomorrow?

Last edited by Penakoto; 10-09-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #15
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

It's out tomorrow on Steam and 360. Came out on PS3 today though.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Holy shit, that was the best episode so far, I gotta say.

Spoiler for Episode 4 Spoilers, Comments, End Results:
First of all, goddamn, why did Chuck have to die? I liked him. Seems like everyone I like goes away or does something unlikable (KENNY).

I liked Molly, kinda sad she didn't stick around. The others, eh, neutral I guess. Nobody in the cancer support group really ticked me off or was especially likable.

So, choices. Kid in the Attic. Shot him myself. I shot Duck, so it seemed appropriate.

I was honest when I found the group, no lies or threats, seemed kinda dumb to threaten a guy, shaking and has you at gun point.

I brought Clementine, was worried about leaving her at the house, pretty much alone.

Ben... after the third episode, and him panicking at the start of this one and leaving Clem, I was pretty pissed at him. Then her seemed like he wanted to atone for it by trying to be helpful, which was nice, good thing to do. When it came to whether or not to save his life, I just couldn't let it happen, I had to save him.

When I was bitten, I didn't tell everyone. I figured it would just cause a panic or something, and Clementine was missing... I dunno, thinking back it seems like a poor choice, it'll probably bite me in the ass come E5.

Ben, as it turned out, was the only one with my back when it came to saving Clementine. Really not sure how you trigger getting Kat+Omead to come with you, and I'm not really surprised Kenny didn't want to help, considering I never sided with him once thus far.

Just... damn, what an amazing episode. I need Episode 5, like, now.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

To go off what Pen has in his spoilers.

Spoiler for Episode 4 Spoilers, Comments, End Results:
Poor Chuck

I also liked Molly. She was cool, but she's got her own path to follow I suppose.

I got Kenny to shoot the kid in the attic. I figured he needed to come to terms and what not. Don't want a situation where he's unable to shoot another kid walker that isn't crippled.

Honest when I found the Cancer Survivor Group. They seemed nice enough.

Brought Clementine, I figured after the time when she showed up when me and Kenny left for the boat, she'd come with or without my consent. Might as well let it be under my terms.

I saved Ben, and tried to keep with keeping him around (though I did a bit of siding with Ken on saying he should kick his ass later). Now of all times isn't to turn against each other. I abstained during the vote because I was all "adsdsad", and then saved him during the craziness with the bell. Still wondering why Vernon was asking us about the train tracks though. Did we accidentally lead that entire giant group?

I told everyone I was bit. Hiding it isn't gonna do me any good.

I got everyone to come with me. I think showing your bite gets Kat and Omid to come with you, just so you know Pen. Kat says how you might not even be able to make it to save Clem. I talked Kenny into coming, then Ben, then retalked Kenny. Then we all went off.

But yeah, that episode was friggin great. I got chills during it. Can't wait for the finale.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #18
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Spoiler for Episode 4 Spoilers:
I'm curious on whether or not the group that went along with you at the end, are the last people who'll be with you for most of Episode 5. Seems strange that who went with you got it's own stats screen, seems like it'll be important.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Jake
In a word or a look

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake

Spoiler for Episode 4 spoilers:
I shot the kid in the attic
honest with cancer folks
took clementine and saved Ben
And showed my bite but got everyone to come with me.

Also, jesus fuck I legit just kind of bawled when I saw Lee's bite mark.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Fancy video of what choices were made the most in Episode 4.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Episode 5: No Time Left is out 11/20 on PSN and 11/21 for everything else.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I am so excited for this, I'm gonna replay the entire series the day before it comes out, then do Episode 5 with both my playthroughs.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/11/19/...finale-trailer

Trailer of the last episode.

Holycrapholycrapholycrap.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 AM   #24
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

So, I saw Walking Dead updated over night, so I guess the update is already out! Looking forward to playing it in a few minutes!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Don't do it Tombstone.

Don't do it.

Oh god.

Last edited by Penakoto; 11-21-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #26
Jake
In a word or a look

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake

Getting off work at 6, coming straight home to play it, ready to cry manly tears.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #27
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

Spoiler for "OH GAWD CHAPTER 3 SPOILERS AHHHH (seriously, I pretty much describe my entire fucking experience, stay the hell out if you're not 100% done, if there was anything you didn't want spoiled, it's Chapter 5, can't warn you enough):
Ok... so... get this shit out of the way.

I cut off my arm, and basically I took the selfless choices when it came to it. The last choice, I'll save until the end.

I just wanna say, that this is by far the most I've ever... felt things, because of a story and it's characters, in a videogame or in general really. Jesus fucking christ, I was bawling by the end.

I should note, that I went back and redid the last part of Chapter 4, yeah yeah that kinda spoilers the whole decision making stuff, but I wanted to do a run with everyone before I did one with certain group compositions, or alone.

Benny falling like that, broke my heart. He didn't get the chance to either make it up to Kenny, or save Clementine. But then... Kenny falls back. WHY? There was no saving Benny... I didn't see what happened, I don't know if you were even supposed to, but I get the feeling Kenny used that bullet on Ben.

I told Omid and Christa to find Clem a good family if I didn't make it. Seemed the most reasonable choice. I'm sure they would protect her if they didn't find anyone.

When it came to the sign crossing, I was like "Fuck no, I'm not losing any more people.", so I went alone. When the sign fell, I told them to try and look for us at the Marsh House. Probably not the best decision, I'm hoping I didn't get them killed telling them that.

Then comes the Marsh House, and the guy from the radio.

HOLY SHIT BALLS ON A STICK

RPG DEVELOPERS, TAKE SOME FUCKING NOTES

THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE DECISIONS FEEL LIKE THEY MATTER

As soon as he brings up the car, my mouth was just WIDE open, and stayed that way the entire conversation. I stayed civil, because it was obvious from the start, this guy was at best, seriously dangerous. When Clem weaseled her way out of the closet, and we killed that fucker... Oh man.

Then the getting all smeared up... and seeing that it was about to rain... and HER PARENTS... AND PASSING OUT LIKE THAT.

Once Lee woke up in that Jewelry Store, I knew 100% he wasn't going to make it. But still, I wanted him to live, I was even tempted to tell Clem to leave me. Just in case, just in case Lee somehow managed to survive.

But I had her do it, it was better for her, she needed to let go of Lee and my common sense kicked in telling me there was no way in hell Lee was going anywhere.

Gunshot, credits roll, feel like shit.

I expected that to be it... then we get a little Epilogue of Clementine, alone, wandering... somewhere. I hope, so much, that those two people are people able to help her.

SEASON 2 WHERE GODDAMMIT

Seriously, this is overall the best story I've played through. Old favorite used to be Planescape Torment, for a long, long time.

Nothing even came close until now.

Last edited by Penakoto; 11-21-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #28
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Also, putting this in a separate post because the post just breaks entirely if I put it in my above post.

Spoiler for WAIT A SECOND:
Quote:
Achievements Unlocked 39/40
Ok, ok, so, maybe it's a mistake, Steam messes up my Achievements all of the time...

Quote:
Completed chapter 8 of episode 5.
But

But

Chapter 7 was the last Chapter

Then the Credits

Then that Epilogue

Was it supposed to unlock with the Epilogue?

WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME ACHIEVEMENT 40
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #29
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Spoiler for spoilerito:
Just beat it. Dear god, that stuff was crazy. When they showed the car in the "Previously on the Walking Dead", I had my suspicions, but then when they showed it in front of the hotel, I pretty much went "HOLY SHIT". Because I knew then what this was all about. Also that ending song.

Also yeah, I noticed the achievement thing too. What do I do telltale.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #30
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

My choices from Episode 4 didn't carry over and that makes me a little MAD. Nothing I do lets me transfer them over either. It's just forever stuck in a state of I DIDN'T FUCKING DO THAT.

Also, that last achievement is bugged on PC. Just putting that out there.

Last edited by RadiantBurrito; 11-21-2012 at 07:20 AM.
RadiantBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote