F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #571
Kaze
QUICKSCOPENOSCOPE360WREKT

When I visited Scotland it seemed to be in much better shape than England. But that was back in like... 2009?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #572
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
Rumors of fraud were inevitable regardless of the outcome. Happens in every election. Doesn't mean the rumors aren't true, of course, but just saying there will always be rumors of voter fraud. Always going to have sore losers.
there was "photographic evidence" of such fraud but apparently it was just a misunderstanding/miscommunication and yeah, it wasn't actually true
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #573
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Welp! It's that time o' year again in the good, ol' Home of the Brave.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #574
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Arkansas is apparently considered a state to watch this year because it has some closely contested races. And I'm probably being pessimistic, but I think we'll have a lot of Republican wins here. We have a good, middle-of-the-road Democratic governor in Mike Beebe, but he doesn't rock the boat on civil rights issues. His term is up and we're electing someone new. The legislature is dominated by Republicans already.

Two of the major races here are for Beebe's governorship and for one Senate seat. Both Democratic candidates for those offices, Mike Ross and Mark Pryor respectively, are closer to middle-of-the-road politicians than liberals. This has served to piss off the hard liberal-leaning Democrats in this state while giving their Republican opponents more fuel to tar-and-feather them. (Not that they need much help -- almost literally every political ad here has directly tied each Democrat to President Obama.) Pryor's opponent, Tom Cotton, has voted against helping victims of domestic violence (twice) and even cast a 'no' vote against the Farm Bill. This state is still hugely agricultural, and yet one of its biggest enemies may sail into office on the strength of his military experience and Obama-hating agenda.

Arkansans hate Obama, by and large. They hate him because he's black, because he's popular, and because he's a Democrat, likely in that order. They also hate Obamacare, despite recent numbers suggesting that Arkansas has benefited more from Obamacare coverage than any other state. They also hate any other popular Democrat; I saw a ridiculous ad trying to tie the outgoing mayor of North Little Rock to New York's Michael Bloomberg.

I'm really worried about how bad things will get if we get another Republican governor in here right now. With a Republican governor and a restocked Republican legislature, there'll be nothing to stop them from re-banning gay marriage and giving sweetheart deals to companies in exchange for pollution of the state's beautiful green spaces and watersheds. The Obama hate is real here -- in his entire two terms, I believe Obama has visited Arkansas exactly once for that reason. I think that hate will propel record numbers of conservative, "family values", Christian-at-the-expense-of-everybody-else Republicans into office. I am really afraid of what will happen then. Fewer things are more dangerous in this country than an incumbent politician.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso

Last edited by Frent; 11-04-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #575
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Got a lot of shit going down in Houston right now. My polling precinct is right inside Richmond, so I won't get to vote for a lot of the people who could possibly have an effect on any of this, but a lot of it still affects me personally since I work in Houston and am pretty much literally right on the city line. It's kind of bothersome that I can't personally vote in the city, since I technically live in it. I'm sick of seeing this national media circus surrounding HERO and not being able to do much about it. Stuff that I'm like, why the fuck are you coming to my city to start this shit? Stay the fuck out.

Outside of that, naturally, I'm also going to go out and vote for Wendy Davis for Texas governor. She won't win, but it'd be nice to see her being within less than 10% from it. It would show the state is progressively getting more and more blue. Or... purple I guess, 'cause it'll probably not be blue again for a long, long time.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #576
Nuva
yes i vape

Yeah, Wendy Davis is a very good progressive candidate for Texas and it would be amazing if she won but its slim.

Complete opposite with Rick Snyder. He might as well be running unopposed.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #577
sals
Science, my boy!

Well I voted. I forgot that the redistricting amendment to the state constitution was on the ballot this year. Hopefully that passes; maybe we can get a bit of a handle on the ridiculous gerrymandering in this state.
sals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #578
Frent
Elder Statesman

Republicans aren't just winning here, they're destroying the competition. Blech.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #579
Kaze
QUICKSCOPENOSCOPE360WREKT

Well, let's see how much damage this batch of pissbabies can do before the next cycle rolls around.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #580
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Wendy Davis looks like she lost even worse than Bill White had before her. So it's awful all around!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #581
Frent
Elder Statesman

Republicans swept nearly every race in Arkansas. Ironically, the same voters that swept anti-Obama, anti-big government folks into office also approved several issues on the ballot that gave the Arkansas government more control and prevented grassroots movements from gaining steam.

President Obama now has to contend with a majority Republican House and Senate. It's pretty obvious that the Republicans' main campaign issue was, "Do you hate Obama? Me too! Put me in office and we'll fix everything he's done wrong." So now that the Republicans have all that power, what are they going to do with it? My guess is they'll just fight tooth and nail to keep the president from doing anything until the end of his term, while saying he isn't getting anything done.

Gah. I am not looking forward to the next four years.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #582
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

You mean the next two?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #583
Frent
Elder Statesman

The next two through the end of Obama's term, sure, but the next four for politics in Arkansas.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #584
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I only say that because most of these people, our respective states' congressmen, we elect once every two years. Senators serve six year terms. We tend to have a huge election day like this (midterm, then presidential) every two years.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #585
Frent
Elder Statesman

I'm thinking mainly in terms of the governor's office, which has four-year terms.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #586
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Ah. Well! Look at it this way... could be worse. You could have no limit on number of terms, like we do.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #587
The Cloft
Naked Again

President Obama nominated Merrick Garland to replace Antonin Scalia to the SCOTUS. I was watching Fox news for the announcement and boy did they sure throw a tantrum immediately after.
The Cloft is offline   Reply With Quote