F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Computers

Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
MikeTheMadman
Guardian 2 Handed Fighter

Send a message via AIM to MikeTheMadman Send a message via MSN to MikeTheMadman

You aren't missing too much from the XCOM demo, to be honest. Neat and all but it does the first two tutorial missions (lets you view the base but not really do anything with it or any of the units), then boots you back to the title screen. Managed to not lose any units in the second mission, and the first doesn't really give you a choice.

I should try the original XCOM sometime if I knew how to do it (correctly), and if there are any patches, mods, etc to use that are recommended.
MikeTheMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #32
Hace
hello

You can get it off Steam, and install the UFO Extended mod if you want to try it that way I guess.
Hace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
Quanta
Cadence-Class Missile

You can actually mod the demo to up the difficulty, spawn some of the late-game enemies and give yourself the appropriate weapons and stuff. You can also swap a couple of scripting files around so that the 2nd demo level doesn't have the hand-holdy stuff at the beginning (and more aliens).

Editor: http://db.tt/ebDLuSvZ

Spoiler for How to change the scripts:
I just found if u rename or change Act2_Bar_script.upk to Act2_Pier_script.upk, you will start the second mision without tutorial and with more sectoids , like 4 or 5 more.

The file is found here :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\XComGame\CookedPCConsole

Just rename the file (make a backup of the original Pier file)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
MikeTheMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanta View Post
You can actually mod the demo to up the difficulty, spawn some of the late-game enemies and give yourself the appropriate weapons and stuff. You can also swap a couple of scripting files around so that the 2nd demo level doesn't have the hand-holdy stuff at the beginning (and more aliens).

Editor: http://db.tt/ebDLuSvZ

Spoiler for How to change the scripts:
I just found if u rename or change Act2_Bar_script.upk to Act2_Pier_script.upk, you will start the second mision without tutorial and with more sectoids , like 4 or 5 more.

The file is found here :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\XComGame\CookedPCConsole

Just rename the file (make a backup of the original Pier file)
Thanks for that tip. With a bit more modification I'm sure people could access even more of the demo. (Didn't mess with the downloadable editor though) I was able to fiddle with 1-2 things after the mission was completed and almost the mission control map.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #35
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I can't download the demo. 'Not available in your region'

I understand I'm not missing much but it's still a bummer.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #36
Jeff

If you pre-order on Steam now you get a free copy of Civ 5.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #37
MikeTheMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayu_Zane View Post
I can't download the demo. 'Not available in your region'

I understand I'm not missing much but it's still a bummer.
There's a youtube version (not exactly the same, the video is much better in showcasing stuff or being fun than the demo itself), where you can sorta choose some stuff like your squad makeup, etc.

I started messing around in the original XCOM (Man, seems pretty good for such a good game). Initially had no idea what I was doing, so found a manual on the steam page, restarted, and am starting to get it now, but most of the UFO's I'm either just missing with patrols or they don't want to go anywhere but Brazil to bother them. I'm tempted to just let them take it because BR BR HUEHUEHUHUEHEU, but I lose out on money on that.

On a similar note, does anyone want to set up something before the new xcom comes out like: Each person plays a week in game, then sends the save to the next person after making a forum post logging what went on (can put your own spin on a story too)? Though for some new people like me I'm not sure how that would work exactly. Open to plenty of tips and such though (looked at UFOPAEDIA already), and mods and junk. (Dunno if the mods would affect the saves, I haven't used any yet)

Last edited by MikeTheMadman; 09-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #38
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

So I pre-ordered this game on gamersgate

Hopefully nothing bad will happen if I use the steam code they'll give me on release day. It would suck a lot if it will give a 'not available in your region' error.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #39
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Hey guys.

Sid Meier is in the game as an XCOM Hero Unit (Go to near the end of the video). If you summon him your achievements will be disabled.

Summoning Sid is of course optional. He's there just in case you want a psychic game developer on your side.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #40
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

Send a message via MSN to SliceSabre Send a message via Skype™ to SliceSabre

I feel like I want this game but there two others coming out I know I will enjoy. I may come around again on this in December as a Christmas present to myself.
SliceSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
MikeTheMadman

Preload for the game is up on Steam if any of you have it, or are going to get it.

And release date changed to 9 PDT/12 (midnight) EST

Last edited by MikeTheMadman; 10-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #42
Skeeblar
Pirate-Hunter

Send a message via Skype™ to Skeeblar

Preloaded and ready to go. Bought it on Steam partly because I'll be able to take screenshots and share 'em to go along with stories!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
That Frood

I got burned bad by Civ V, so I'm going to wait a few weeks after release before I buy another firaxis game.
That Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
Markford
Woo wee Mac Baby!

Send a message via MSN to Markford Send a message via Skype™ to Markford

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Frood View Post
I got burned bad by Civ V, so I'm going to wait a few weeks after release before I buy another firaxis game.
What was wrong with Civilization V?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #45
That Frood

Principally: dynamism.
Understand that I was very excited for Civ V, being a lifelong fan of the civilization series, having spent 200+ hours playing Civ IV and its expansions, and 100+ with the older titles. Hexes sounded brilliant, and I still believe can be absolutely game changing if implemented in a better game. One army per tile was also really interesting and I thought would really improve the way wars played out.
There was also a lot of buzz at the time about how it was "stream-lined" and made more accessible to players. I never really cared all that much about that, because I suppose having grown up with those games nothing they ever threw at me seemed incomprehensible. Just a willingness to engage with the game was enough to learn the workings.
I played Civ V for 40 hours before I realized I didn't enjoy it at all compared to the previous games. And then I discovered that I wasn't alone. The entire Civilization community had basically abandoned it as a "major installment", instead going back to playing Civ IV and III (and occassionally II for the really dedicated), because they simply had more to offer.
Civ V is incredibly un-dynamic. I understand they've made efforts to improve this through many patches and the recent expansion, but I'm still not willing to go back to it.
The AI was incredibly poor, and I mean incredibly. It had 0 memory and would change relations with you on the flip of a hat. Buildings were boiled down to granting only a few specific bonuses and the advantages of wonders were significantly reduced. A civilization's abilities varied very little or were simply insignificant, except for a choice few that actually gave real bonuses, making them the only cultures worthwile. Great people gave small boosts to city reputation or industrial output, relegating them to be almost entirely used to start golden ages. Games were shorter, ages had very little that differentiated them aside from superficial effects and everything just felt flat.
I could go on but it wouldn't make my argument any more convincing. I've accepted the fact that my appreciation for the previous Civ games is unique, that I'm a "fan" and don't understand the appeal of Civ V. Well, that's not true, I understand the appeal, but I don't appreciate it. It's insubstantial and shallow compared to the previous games and if that's what people want then, well, fine. I believe firmly there's a way to make complex games that are also accessible but Firaxis demonstrated with Civ V that, even if that's their goal, they haven't managed to pull it off.

They keep talking about how much they learned from Civ Rev, their console civilization game, when talking about XCom. They said the same about Civ V. I'm not bashing console games, yeah I don't own a console but that doesn't mean I hate them. I just see them saying the same things they said for Civ V as they talk about XCom, and I'm just not willing to trust it.

Last edited by That Frood; 10-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
Markford
Woo wee Mac Baby!

Sorry to hear that, I've never played a Civ game so I wanted an opinion on the latest iteration.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #47
Beev
Kicker of Elves

Send a message via AIM to Beev Send a message via MSN to Beev

I can see where you're coming from, Frood. Personally I did enjoy Civ 5 quite a lot (the one unit per tile change was by far my favorite feature of the game), but to be fair it was pretty far removed from what made the old games good.

I always considered Civ V more of a board game than a PC game, if that makes any sense
Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #48
That Frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beev View Post
I always considered Civ V more of a board game than a PC game, if that makes any sense
Yes, that makes a lot of sense, actually.

I guess another large part of it was that as a strategy gamer I always felt like a second-class citizen to most mainstream games.
Yes, there's starcraft, but that's slim pickings.
So when all of this hype and buzz came up over THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF CIVILIZATION, I was naturally kind of stoked. Then all these reviews appeared about how the game did away with all of the shitty things in the old games and I realized that, if anything, this wasn't the community saying "hey, strategy games are cool too!" it was really more akin to saying "yeah, what you always liked was kind of balls".
So when I made my opinion known that I thought the new Civ game didn't have much of anything that made the older games addictive and memorable, I was treated like some sort of nostalgia-ridden pc-gaming cretin.
In truth, I don't care if other people like strategy games or not, it was just this sharp moment of whiplash where I felt like other people liked the same things I liked but instead no, the opposite really. The things I like should be gotten rid of. Those things are confusing.

Last edited by That Frood; 10-07-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #49
Jeff

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...the-board-game

They do have a board game based on Civilization. Two of them actually. I do wonder how they play compared to on the PC.

Great now I want to play some Civilization.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #50
That Frood

The ACTUAL Civilization board games are goddamn fucking nightmares. They literally try to recreate the game itself on a piece of cardboard. Billions of cards and decals and billions upon BILLIONS of rules and it's just... jesus. You need to take a college course for 3 months just on the textbook they give you with the game just to pretend like you can start playing.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #51
Markford
Woo wee Mac Baby!

Has anyone made any decent levels from the demo editor? Is there a way to copy someone else's level setup?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #52
Beev
Kicker of Elves

Send a message via AIM to Beev Send a message via MSN to Beev

Did you ever play the expansion to Civ V, Frood? I heard it fixes a lot of the issues you complained about.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #53
That Frood

I heard the same, and I want to try it out sometime. I'm not willing to spend 20 bucks on it though, I'm waiting for it to be 5 bucks or less.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
MikeTheMadman

Yeah. The Civ 5 expansion fixed quite a few thing in my opinion, but some could still be slightly improved or fixed on. Other downside is that modding wasn't really available for multiplayer at all, and multiplayer was pretty buggy or restrictive compared to other Civ Games.

Hopefully they eventually add in modding for X-Com, but with the way multiplayer is only the point buy system, not sure there's much they could do in that regard. (I would love to see a coop mod where each player controls their own soldier, and the host controls the base or players make votes on what they want next in the base or what to do from it.)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #55
Hace
hello

Reviews are in: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ays-dreamed-of/

Quote:

CVG: 9.2 - A polished turn-based shooter that harks back to the golden era of strategy games. Rich, customisable, and fiendishly addictive.

GameSpy: 5/5 - I implore you to play it if you have any interest in turn-based tactics whatsoever -- it is indisputably the best of its genre made in at least a decade. I leave the title of Best Game Ever with the original, but playing this one has done this old X-COM fan's heart good, and I believe it will make a whole lot of new fans, too.

Polygon: 8.5/10 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown brings the memorable turn-based alien invasion classic gracefully into to the modern age, but comes just short of fully reinventing the genre. While tactical, squad-based combat has never felt so effortless and rewarding, the strategy component takes just enough away to make the game as a whole feel like two slightly disjointed halves. One of those halves just so happens to be one of the best and most artfully-designed strategy games in recent memory.

God is a Geek: 10/10 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the kind of title that will take people by surprise, but it really shouldn't, because Firaxis have been quietly going about their business of becoming one of the best strategy developers around. People who thought Enemy Unknown would be good are wrong, because it's actually one of the best video games released so far in 2012. The level of depth, combined with numerous other factors such as the sheer volume of content on offer, mean that this is not only a unique experience, but also an ideal starting point for newcomers, whilst keeping veterans happy.

OXM UK: 9/10 - Sophisticated, unnerving and reliably unforgiving, XCOM: Enemy Unknown isn't just Xbox 360's finest strategy experience - it's also a strategy game which changes how you think about strategy games. Go into it expecting a deadening flow of unlocks and build queues, and you'll get a nasty surprise. Approach the game as you would an odd noise in the basement, and the Earth might just have a fighting chance.

Play: 94% - Thinking, planning, failing and dying is back in fashion: XCOM is a phenomenal reimagining of a classic title and an instant classic in its own right. The love poured into it and the sheer depth of the experience has created something truly special.

Eurogamer: 9/10 - Near the campaign's end, there's a direct tribute to the original game's designers, the Gollop brothers, accompanied by an achievement called 'On the Shoulders of Giants'. It's a beautiful touch, a nod from one development team to another across the generations. They have something in common now. In their own time and place, each made a fantastic game called XCOM.

VideoGamer: 9/10 - XCOM works best as a panic management simulator.

Edge: 9/10 - Charting a course through Earth's imminent destruction is as unashamedly difficult as it was in 1994's X-COM. It's possible, through bad planning and bad management, to doom the planet early on, making the game feel unfair. Get it right, however - survive the stresses of management, and the strains of aliens - and you'll feel like world's greatest hero

PC Gamer: 87 - Brutal, beautiful, emotion-wringing turn-based storytelling muffled by flat base design.

Official PlayStation Magazine UK: 9/10 - With every element of Xcom's complex yet utterly accessible systems - from meaningful combat tactics, to budget balancing, to life-or-death diplomatic decisions - feeding directly into every other aspect of the game, this is as compelling a world as any in recent memory. Enemy Unknown is fast but thoughtful, mentally taxing but constantly exciting, and chaotic yet always balanced and welcoming. This really does do it all - and it does it very, very well.

Kotaku: YES - XCOM: Enemy Unknown takes a classic PC strategy game, improves it then makes it playable for console owners as well.

Joystiq: 4.5/5 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown is an exemplary turn-based strategy game. Firaxis has deftly blended management, tactics and the sort of gut-level, throaty encounters usually reserved for fast-paced action games. The mixture is potent enough that you may occasionally forget that the most critical moments boil down to nothing more than a percentage and a choice. On any other day, betting on a 60 percent chance might seem like a no-brainer. When the fate of the world hangs in the balance, you'd better think twice.

Strategy Informer: 9.0 - So as long as you're happy that the game's real qualities are found in single player, offline gaming sci-fi epics, XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes highly recommended. Remember that this recommendation also goes for players who aren't usually the turn-based type. As long as you enjoy action, sci-fi and a rich amalgam of gaming styles, there's loads to enjoy right here.

The Average Gamer: Great - XCOM: Enemy Unknown perfectly captures this sense of responsibility. You're just one general pitted against a overwhelming alien force. You don't know what they want, you don't know what they can do and you're always scrambling to catch up. All your decisions have consequences and all those consequences are the direct result of your decisions. Slowly, you'll learn. You'll do better. It's just a matter of time before you'll amass enough technology and firepower to burn that alien base to ash. Boy will they regret ever coming to Earth.

GameInformer: 9.50 - Both of XCOM's layers present life-or-death conundrums to which there is no right answer. No matter what you pick, something or someone is going to suffer for it. This kind of tension and terror rarely occurs within mainstream gaming, and almost never with this level of skill in the execution. Don't let the "turn-based strategy" moniker scare you off; XCOM is a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #56
Quanta
Cadence-Class Missile

Look at those scores. This game's going to be terrible, isn't it?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #57
Oliver

So hey, the game is preloadable since I don't know how long.

So yeah you might wanna do that.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #58
Quanta
Cadence-Class Missile

BTW Hace, you should invite me to the Goon group, ya jerk! >=(
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #59
Hace
hello

Steam says that someone else already invited you but feel free to thank me anyway
Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #60
Quanta
Cadence-Class Missile

Thank you, Hace. Only you. No one else.