F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > The Hobby Shop

Old 01-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Dogma Send a message via MSN to Mr. Dogma
Default Persona T: Sleepless Knights

So, with a lot of the mechanical/gameplay components of this coming together and having been completed, I decided it's about time to actually make a thread for this.

"Persona T: Sleepless Knights" is my name for a homebrewed tabletop version of the Persona series. The intent is to keep the feel of the game as close as possible to the games for which they're based on while also allowing players some more freedom in terms of how they go about their day and interact with each other. Though components such as Persona fusing had to be cut for my own sanity, and probably the sanity of the group as a whole, due to what would likely otherwise be an extreme amount of micromanagement that I don't really want players to deal with. However, social links will remain somewhat functional, each player will still have their own unique Persona, dungeon exploration is still a thing, as well as the SMT/Persona Weakness system. Again, I tried to keep it as close as possible to the original Persona experience while trying to pull out the more time consuming elements.

Story is still heavily under construction, but here's the barebone setting information. The campaign of "Sleepless Knights" follows the story of five high school students in the city of Shin Yume-Shi (新夢市 or New Dream City) 10 years after the events of Persona 4 in the year 2022. All current students at the local high school, Musūyume High School (無数夢学園) are just on the cusp of beginning their next year at the school both as second years and their third year senpai. While the city has remained relatively peaceful, there has been an increase in the number of accidents related to people seemingly falling asleep in dangerous situations. Additionally, there's been an increase in the number of people who seem to be found in a coma. Authorities are investigating into potential chemical accidents which may be responsible for the recent events. Local officials have yet to comment on these strange events believing that more information should be obtained before any action is taken.

This thread will be used for campaign updates as the story comes together, gameplay components are decided upon, and for organizing combat test sessions for combat balancing. I'm hoping this turns out well, but note that this is based off an entirely homebrewed system only pulling elements of the games themselves and attempting to convert those into a functional manually operated system.

Game Start ETA: April 9th (still technically subject to change, but is currently on schedule)

Official Clubs
General (Non-Culture/Sports)
Student Council
Health Club
Library Assistant
Debate Club

Sports
Boxing (Guys only)
Volleyball (Girls only)
Tennis
Basketball
Archery
Track
Kendo

Culture
Drama
Art/Painting
Orchestra

Unofficial Clubs
Literature Club
Occult Club
Manga Club
Volunteer Club

Players
Inferno as Hotaru Sugirou, 2nd year student. Possesses the power of the High Priestess arcana.
Addy as an Haru Fujiwara 3rd student. Possesses the Hierophant arcana.
Mallorie as Yoshiko Sakamato; 2nd year student and the Fortune arcana
Nuva as Akio Hideki, 2nd year student. Wields the power of the Hanged Man arcana.
Myself as Seiji Date, a 3rd year student. Wields the power of the Death arcana.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 04-01-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Mr. Dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Mallorie
Songstress

I'm excited!

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
Nuva
yes i vape

This will be the closest I will ever have come to roleplaying as myself. But Asian.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

I need to get back on top of this, argh
Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

AYYYYYYY

my weird house disaster made me slack real hard on developing this guy but NOW I HAVE NOTHIN BUT FREE TIME
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 AM   #6
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So, I didn't have time to make the next post for the whole reason I made this thread. As the foundation of the combat system is done, I wanted to do a test run sometime before this gets going. I currently intend to have this ready no later than April. So, I'd like to at some point in the next month or so take like an hour on a Friday or Saturday to do some character stat creation and do a test run of combat. That way if anything feels too complicated I can try and adjust the rules to try and streamline it.

Additionally, I need everyone's backstories no later than like the end of February so I can make sure I can properly weave the character stuff into the overarching story.

For now though, try and let me know of a time you can all spend on a Friday or Saturday so we can do a test run.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:14 AM   #7
Mega
No-Fo You.

Buuuuurn my bread!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 AM   #8
Mega
No-Fo You.

Also sounds like a cool project. Will Nuva be the teddie of the game?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

I have a strong suspicion that is how things will likely turn out.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 AM   #10
Mega
No-Fo You.

Well, I Nuva!

Last edited by Mega; 01-11-2016 at 03:27 AM.
Mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Mallorie
Songstress

^ i quit

Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Old 01-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Nuva
yes i vape

Hey guys what we talking abou-

Old 01-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
Inferno
Tea and murder

THIS IS NOW CANON.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #15
Mallorie
Songstress

Persona T: Waking Nightmare

Old 01-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #16
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
THIS IS NOW CANON.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #17
Inferno
Tea and murder

To be honest, I'm not sure Sugirou is an actual name, but it came to me in a dream once, so I'm using it. It's written 杉蠟 火尊 (Sugirou Hotaru, "cedar candle, fire noble," the latter having the same pronunciation as "firefly"). I thought too much about all this.

I swear all the fire puns were unintentional. But hey, it works.

We gotta think about clubs and stuff, right? Can we just make up whatever clubs we want, or is there a list we have to choose from?
Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #18
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Well, originally, I was gonna have you all pick from a list of clubs. But since no one is a first year, that means everyone would've had time to join a club by now. Possibly even tried to start one or have created an unofficial club. So, at this point it's probably just best for everyone to think of a club they would be interested in, and I'll decide whether it sounds reasonable or not and classify it as official vs unofficial.

Edit: I'm gonna go ahead and add a sample list of clubs in the top post. Feel free to pick from one of those or make up your own. Much like the games, you can be in multiple clubs, but only one that is considered sports and one that's considered culture. There'll be some other options you can be a part of as well that don't count towards either. Don't go too overboard though.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 01-16-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #19
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

i have planz i'm actually not the huge slacker i appear to be I PROMISE!!!

this guy's gonna be the polar opposite of me so that's gonna be fun and interesting
Old 01-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Random note for no raisin, I'm gonna be cycling through Persona music every so often up until we actually start playing.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 AM   #21
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Don't forget to get me your character backstories by end of the month. I'm already selling myself short on time by saying I'll only need a month to write the story, so I really can't work with anything given to me past the end of this month.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
Nuva
yes i vape

Suggestion: Our personas be based on mythological figures associated with sleep and dream.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:40 AM   #23
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Weekly reminder that I still need character backstories. What troubles your character? What would your character's Shadow say to your character? Do they enjoy school life or do they hate it? What is their family life like? Do they live in the dorms or at home? Do they take part in any clubs? Do they enjoy them or do they do it out of some sense of obligation? What kind of grades do they normally get? What is their general personality? What's their approach to most situations? Are they reliable or unreliable? Do they like to help people? Stuff like that. I seriously need those or I'm gonna have to cancel this. I can't write your characters for you. You have a baseline to work with based off your Arcana, so go off that. There are 21 arcana and I'm already responsible for writing 16 of them, I can't do yours too. This is in addition to writing the major story, creating 15 social links that can somehow function with a cast of 5 players, developing the combat system, developing the item system, working out the functional Shadow World, figuring out holidays, school schedules, clubs, academics, the 5 point status system (Knowledge, Courage, Diligence, Understanding, Expression), enemies, bosses, and a whole bunch of other shit I'm likely forgetting. And I'm gonna have to do all of that effectively in a single month. You can guys can manage to get your character done. And remember they can get fleshed out as you go, but I need something to work with.

Also, I STILL need you guys to tell me a Friday/Saturday/Sunday you're free for at least an hour to an hour and a half so we can do a test run of the combat system and work out the baselines for everyone's Personas so I can make those too. I don't want to just slam down a date because then that week is gonna roll up and someone is suddenly gonna tell me they can't do it. Tell me when you're free first and I'll find something that syncs up with everyone. The only time I probably can't do it is the 27th, which means the 28th is the last free day this month I can work in time to do that. So seriously look at the following list of dates and tell me when/if you're free on any possible days:
Feb. 12-14th
Feb. 19-21st
Feb. 26th
Feb. 28th

If I'm coming across as a little pissy, sorry, but I've got a TON of work to do for this and the sooner I have everyone's stuff the sooner I can begin work on it. The later everyone waits to effectively hand in their homework, the more days I lose that I could be working on this more. I need the hard cut off because it will become virtually impossible to find the time to do so otherwise.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 02-08-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #24
Inferno
Tea and murder

Free days: 13-14, 19, 21, 28.

The specifics help a ton. I can work with that.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #25
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Sundays and Thursdays I have off of work (except Valentine's Day) and if you don't mind going late (like 11 pm EST or later) I'm usually home by then most other days!

and yesss specifics good. I need a frame to fill in before my character can really flourish. <3
Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #26
Mallorie
Songstress

I'm free pretty much any time after the 12th, and I'm working on my character in between job stuff. Stuff's a little hectic right now, but after the 12th I should be able to focus more.

The specific stuff helps a lot; I think I've felt daunted by this because it's my first tabletop ever and I have never played Persona. I feel really nervous!!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 PM   #27
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

SAME

I'M GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE ;w;
Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 AM   #28
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Oh, also, stuff like your character's hobbies, part-time jobs, etc. would be helpful. And still clubs. If there's a club you want to be a part of, see the list above. If there's a club you would like to make, ask me. Basically, I want some information regarding what your character does after regular classes for the day end. Frankly a part of Persona is that fact that not every character is really available to hang out every day. Much like real life, the side characters in Persona have their own lives that they live. Some have their own other friends they may hang out with or other obligations that tie them up for the afternoon. I want to know if your character has any of that going on.

And I need to re-ask this one: Does your character live at home or in a dorm?

The question was originally posed with the whole "undergrad college" thing going on. It's still a valid question for high school though, especially since it's gonna be in a city. So, re-answer that question.

Also, another part of the whole combat test besides creating the gameplay elements of your character is so I can actually talk with you guys about your characters and help you think about them. I can't write them for you, but I can help guide you.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 02-10-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #29
Inferno
Tea and murder

Does anyone mind if I make a template for some of these questions, for organization's sake? Sort of like the personal introduction thread. I'm making one for myself because it's easier to answer things that way.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #30
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

I was actually thinking about making one.