F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles > Nintendo

Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #31
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profanity View Post
This is my first try at making a level, enjoy.

42FE-0000-0051-AE73
Managed to beat it after dying 20 or so times, Good challenge.

I didn't manage to get past the bit just after the hammer bros without taking damage though it's probably doable. Have a star.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #32
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

Cool, thanks for playing it.

Yeah, you can complete it without taking damage.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:35 PM   #33
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

OOOOO, A PROF LEVEL.

I WILL PLAY WHEN I GET HOME.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #34
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

I mean I'm not saying it's good or anything. I hope it is.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:46 AM   #35
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I've been trying to get through everyone's levels the last couple days. Just been a busy bee lately. I'll have to check out more tonight.
RadiantBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #36
Zaver

I filled up my last two upload slots with these crap levels.

SMW 1: C00F-0000-0052-1694
Airship 1: 316F-000-004A-F27D
Zaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #37
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I uploaded two new levels as well. Someday people will be able to beat them. Someday.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #38
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I've only tried two of yours, Rad. One I didn't care for at all. The other, the ghost house, I thought was great. Like legit good. I didn't finish. I really wish this thing had checkpoints as an option. But still, very good.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #39
Oliver

Ups and downs
49FB-0000-0059-3501
Old 09-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #40
Haven
the Ever Smiling

Core of the Problem: 1A91-0000-0059-7895

(please read it!)
Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #41
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
I've only tried two of yours, Rad. One I didn't care for at all. The other, the ghost house, I thought was great. Like legit good. I didn't finish. I really wish this thing had checkpoints as an option. But still, very good.
The airship? Yeah, I know a lot of people have trouble with the first section. The first jump alone screws with people because it requires you to short hop onto the small right platform and then right onto the falling blue platform to keep momentum to get up onto the airship. Then you're met with a bullet hell once you get there, but the trick is to just jump in and spin jump immediately. The longer you wait the more things build up and makes it almost impossible to accomplish, something I seem to do a lot.

The ghost house was my first level and easily my most inspired because it is the level I wanted to make as soon as I bought the game but yeah, it needs a checkpoint right before or after the canon jump. It'd be perfect )for what it is) otherwise.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #42
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I really pride myself on making traditional feeling Mario levels but adding the correct type of difficulty to them. I don't understand people that just put a shit ton of enemies right at the beginning and expect you to just finish it flawlessly as little Mario. More enemies doesn't mean it's difficult. It's just a dick move. I like to make miniature bullet hells but nothing that is impossible to do with a little bit of finesse and quickness.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #43
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBurrito View Post
spin jump
I'm so sorry.

The community for this game doesn't know what that is, I'm not even trying to do a joke thing here, they just don't know.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #44
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Yeah, I just... I dunno. From a design standpoint, I don't think it's very apparent what you're supposed to do right off the bat on the airship stage. The language there isn't very clear, if it's even there at all. I got to a point where I was trying to trampoline up to canon balls and bounce to the top. Nothing was working.

The ghost house, on the other hand, is challenging and is 100% logical at a glance. I was actually kind of jealous at how well put together that one seemed. It was also the right kind of hard, which so many other people making stages in this game don't seem to grasp at all. It's a really good stage.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #45
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Not many people seem to die on Bumble Bluffs. So, so many deaths in Clumsy Caverns, though. Also still around 10% rate of completion. It's not that hard, I don't think. I'm not even the type that generally likes frustratingly hard games, so when I say it's relatively easy, that's exactly what I mean.

I dunno, maybe my perspective is skewed.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #46
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I've gotten a lot of feedback on that jump from people I know and I'm probably gonna change it later on tbh. I was just trying to focus on my SMB1 levels before I went back to any of that. Most people can get the jump AFTER they watch me or someone that already knows how to make it make the jump, and even then it seems extremely unforgiving and I don't want to have something like that in any of my levels. All of my levels are hard to an extent, but none of them are impossible and I put a lot of time and effort to make everything feel natural and intuitive. It has consistently been the bane of every person I've had sit down and play it, so it'll get changed.

Thankfully all I really gotta do is elongate the first platform and/or remove the raised sides and signal the correct direction, either with coins or a sign. I don't think anyone could really mess it up at that point.

Last edited by RadiantBurrito; 09-20-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #47
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Quote:
Not many people seem to die on Bumble Bluffs. So, so many deaths in Clumsy Caverns, though. Also still around 10% rate of completion. It's not that hard, I don't think. I'm not even the type that generally likes frustratingly hard games, so when I say it's relatively easy, that's exactly what I mean.

I dunno, maybe my perspective is skewed.
A lot of people are really bad at Mario. I do have a skewed concept of how hard my levels are, though, and am always worried they are TOO EASY. This never seems to be the case, it's just that I know my level's mechanics and what to expect. That's usually what it comes down to and that's why I make other people play my levels before I upload them.

I would say it wasn't terribly difficult but I can see where people mess up a lot. It is honestly super easy to catch Lakitu and float across a majority of the stage, but definitely not required. I think I died like once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I'm so sorry.

The community for this game doesn't know what that is, I'm not even trying to do a joke thing here, they just don't know.
Only 90's kids will understand.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #48
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Also, sometimes I feel like the only person online who is INSANE about making their levels look as pretty and non-vacant as possible. I put a lot of effort into using background platforms liberally to create interesting backdrops, blocking off sections of the map at just the right amount of squares to make each corridor/room feel isolated, and copy-pasting ground objects into places that are pleasing to look at. It's almost obscene how much I obsess over it, along with coin counts/placements.

Last edited by RadiantBurrito; 09-20-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #49
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
Thankfully all I really gotta do is elongate the first platform and/or remove the raised sides and signal the correct direction, either with coins or a sign. I don't think anyone could really mess it up at that point.
I also think that starting area is just a little too busy. There are too many things that I'm like, do I use this to get up there? Or this? Or maybe this with this? Which might be what you were going for, but it's also not something I come into a Super Mario stage with expectations of. I come in thinking, easy or hard, it'll be obvious what I need to do at a glance.

So if you're going for something more puzzlely, I'd definitely try and straighten it up some and maybe even hint at it in the title. If not, then yeah, cleaning some of that stuff up, adjusting it, and especially putting coins to lead the player would do wonders.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #50
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I get where you're coming from. Originally it was just the falling platform and the canonballs shot at you. Then I added the platform underneath for people that retry the jump. But then because they couldn't figure out the jump and saw the bottom platform they thought they could do canonballs. And overall in the end it ended with people having to be told how to make it which stinks but thems the breaks.

I will try to clean it back up to the original form soon and remove those raised edges on the first ship. Should make a difference.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #51
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
I would say it wasn't terribly difficult but I can see where people mess up a lot. It is honestly super easy to catch Lakitu and float across a majority of the stage, but definitely not required. I think I died like once.
Yeah. I was initially worried about using Lakitu just because it was an underground stage and I didn't feel he fit. But I wanted a string of pits with something that chased the player across it and Lakitu is all I had to work with at the time (no time traveling here!). I also wanted to give the player a way to fly up and back to find the hidden 1-up. But I was also like, if I do this, they can then just fly to the end of the stage.

So I had to bottleneck that section of the level on both sides. If you kill Lakitu, then congrats! You either get an (admittedly useless) 1-up or you skip the rest of the platforms in that section.

Oddly, it seems the most people die before Lakitu or at the end.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #52
Oliver

As a general question, how's your level-making process? Do you plan it through or do you do it as you go?

And what makes you instantly skip a level?
Old 09-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #53
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Lakitu is super weird. I can never seem to include it in a level unless I absolutely want to be able to give people the ability to use the cloud. My 2-1 level originally had a Lakitu that chased you around the stage, but it completely negated how special finding the secrets in that level was and that's like half of the fun to me. I ultimately had to cut him because the risk of getting the cloud really could ruin that particular level as a whole.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #54
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
As a general question, how's your level-making process? Do you plan it through or do you do it as you go?

I've only finished the two so far, but as of right now? I have been coming up with a theme for a set of four stages and trying to work with that in different ways. My theme for these stages is, I guess "klutzy". So I try to find different ways to handle pits and focus on that as kind of a centerpiece. It's why I haven't finished the water one yet. Not sure how I want to approach that, but I want to do it as water.

I'm probably going to do that going forward. Find a relatively vague theme and focus a stage on that. Then put window dressing around it.

As for my automatic skip stages? Anything that either autoplays or fakes difficulty by throwing dozens of enemies at you all at once. The former is pure novelty and only really fun for the creator, while the latter is the most lazy shit.

Quote:
Lakitu is super weird. I can never seem to include it in a level unless I absolutely want to be able to give people the ability to use the cloud. My 2-1 level originally had a Lakitu that chased you around the stage, but it completely negated how special finding the secrets in that level was and that's like half of the fun to me. I ultimately had to cut him because the risk of getting the cloud really could ruin that particular level as a whole.
Yeah, I could only justify giving the player that cloud by also creating a bubble of stone around them. That bubble is a third of the level, though.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #55
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Quote:

I'm extremely meticulous. I tend to get an idea of one really fun thing for the stage and instantly start building it. I'll play test it over and over until it's consistent but still challenging and then kind of decide how to play the level around it.

I also theme a lot around what certain Mario games mean to me. All of my SMB1 levels are bite sized but require a lot of precision and confidence, just like how I play that game. My SMB3 level is very open and has room for exploring and finding secrets between obstacles, all things I heavily associate with that game. Then my SMW stages focus a lot on being long, involved, and dynamic. They test your endurance and the knowledge of the tools at your disposal, much like SMW could get in its most difficult moments.

One reason I haven't really touched NSMB yet is because I don't really have memories of it. The nostalgia isn't there to drive me and it doesn't quite inspire me the same way. I like that it has spin jumps however, and wall jumps are awesome. It'll definitely be interesting when I get to it.

Last edited by RadiantBurrito; 09-20-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #56
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

When I get Super Mario World shit, I'm probably using that 90% of the time. Best Super Mario game ever.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #57
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Quote:
As for my automatic skip stages? Anything that either autoplays or fakes difficulty by throwing dozens of enemies at you all at once. The former is pure novelty and only really fun for the creator, while the latter is the most lazy shit.
Same.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #58
Oliver

Quote:
I've only finished the two so far, but as of right now? I have been coming up with a theme for a set of four stages and trying to work with that in different ways. My theme for these stages is, I guess "klutzy". So I try to find different ways to handle pits and focus on that as kind of a centerpiece. It's why I haven't finished the water one yet. Not sure how I want to approach that, but I want to do it as water.

I'm probably going to do that going forward. Find a relatively vague theme and focus a stage on that. Then put window dressing around it.

Yeah, I could only justify giving the player that cloud by also creating a bubble of stone around them. That bubble is a third of the level, though.
Maybe something involving low ceilings, red cheep cheep and/or spikes as well as the pit, making the player either dodge a few of them or go low and risk dying by hitting the bottom of the screen.

I mostly do stream of conciousness kinda stuff, it's mostly been gauntlets, but I've themed my stuff by enemies or mechanics more as of late. Workers above seems to be a level that most people playing enjoy retrying despite only 4 having beat it. On a related note, half of th players that've played two-way terror have died because they didn't know that you can buttslam ?-blocks

In addition to what you said, stages that kill you because the creator placed the first enemy in a tile right beside you, invisible blocks above pits(with the laugh effect), aswell as multiple lakitus in general, I've seen them used well in exactly one level

@radiant maybe you could block the top of the screen with invisible blocks unless the secrets are in the upper part, the lakitu will be able to throw whatever you've given him but you won't be able to kill it, this of course also hinges on the top of the screen not being super-important to your level.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 AM   #59
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

My course has 209 deaths and one clear. Excluding my own clears which are not recorded.

I'm slightly upset. I thought it was fair and a little challenging, but I thought people would be beating it. It's pretty short and I tried to make the obstacles mostly make sense.

I dunno. I have no feedback on it, really. I will have to make more, I guess, and just make them easier and find a sweet spot that way, but because of these things I don't really have a groove yet.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 AM   #60
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

I just watched a streamer play it for like 15-20 minutes, also. It was very fulfilling, but he didn't beat it either. It still made me feel better, though, because he -was- figuring it out. He got right to the end.