F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Tech Garage

Old 07-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #61
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

Well I have a 1TB external which I thought I'd use, but maybe by eliminating the cooler I can pick one up for not much additional cash.

I primarily chose the Sapphire 290 because I've read it's the best and crazy cheap as far as performance goes, and I figure this is an investment for the foreseeable future. As far as games, I think the most graphically-intense stuff I'd be playing is Far Cry 3 or the Metro series...maybe the 290 is too much? I'll probably be doing two 1080p monitors when fully fleshed out.
Fatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #62
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

I'm not a power user, and I only have one 1080 monitor. I think it's a little expensive, but it's your PC. That card would definitely be good for some years
Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #63
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

Also, I guess it depends on what kind of external HDD you have, but I'd absolutely recommend internal. Even with USB 3.0, SATA 3 is the faster connection. Plus, internals are more reliable in my experience.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #64
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

Thank you very much for your input! I decided to add a WD Blue 1TB drive and eliminated the cooler based on your advice. After hunting down all the rebates/promos and paying for shipping, it came out to right around $1050. I can't wait to put it all together!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #65
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

No prob. Building computers is fun.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #66
Ace
Pet?

Looking this over just wanted to say it looks like a good build. Like Grieves said, that card is nuts, but you'll be set for a while. Assuming everything is compatible looks like a nice build that you'll be happy with for a while.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #67
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

Thanks to you as well. And yeah I probably overdid it but what the hell, it's my first build and I wanted it to be spectacular!

The only thing I'm worried about is power consumption; I've read on Anandtech they got that card to consume up to 413 watts under load (low 380s with Crysis) but that was with a current i7 and much more ram. I'm assuming the test counted everything together though.

Some people in Tom's Hardware forums say 620 is more than enough to power the 290 with an older i7, so that (and helpful comments here) are reassuring to a first-timer like me. Either way, Newegg and other companies are definitely gaming people for more money, even if that's unsurprising. When I put in all the generals from my system on their wattage calculator they suggested 1100+. What the what?

Last edited by Fatbot; 07-08-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #68
Ace
Pet?

You should be ok, I have a 650 watt power supply with an i7, two 660's, 4 hard drives, 16gb of ram, a bunch of fans and a liquid radiator, other small shit.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #69
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

I have nothing of value to contribute other than congrats on upgrading! I am a Thinkpad user too actually, but I'm on a 410.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #70
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

Thanks again Ace, and you too Addy! I'm loving this thing already, it's a performance beast. Coming from a PS3 for gaming the last several years I'm blown away.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #71
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Default The Build-A-PC Thread

what a coincidence that Fatbot and I are both upgrading from our Thinkpads around the same time ahahah

Anywho I'm using Logical Increments and my budget is somewhere around $600, give or take, depending on a few things. I don't need anything super fuckin fancy because I don't care about PC gaming all that much but for art and such.. seems important to have lots of RAM and storage anyhow.

These are the parts I have in mind:

GPU - R9 270
CPU - i3 4130
Mobo - ASRock Z97 PRO4
RAM - idk 8 gigs, brand doesn't matter to me tbh
HDD - 1 TB Seagate
SDD - SanDisk 128 GB
PSU - Roswell 450W

not gonna bother with an extra heatsink fan unless you guys reaaally think I need it?

aaand the case that LI recommended, chosen because it has dust filters and I have a very fuzzy cat haha
oh and monitor I guess, already have a fancypants mouse. Just gotta find a nice keyboard now!

anyway I know very little about this whole thing but am ready and willing to learn a lot, from what I can tell these parts are all compatible but ?!?!??! I COULD BE WRONG and yeah

not in any huge rush to buy anything yet, probz won't start snagging parts for another week or two
Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #72
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

a friend already suggested these replacements:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yHwbTW

and no SSD after all, whoops, still not sure what to do for a case tho

Last edited by Addy; 07-25-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #73
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

Now it's my turn to congratulate you on upgrading, and offer what advice I can from my own research

I could be wrong, but I think for art (I'm assuming Photoshop, etc) processing power is key. If you don't care so much about gaming and want to save some duckets, I've read that AMD's new "APU" processors are nice and they put some decent graphics on board:

http://bit.ly/1AkcDYJ

According to some reviewers like Anandtech, that thing can pull 100+ fps on Bioshock Infinite in 1080p on medium settings! Crazy.

I'm not skilled enough to know what drawbacks there are to combining a processor and graphics on the same piece of metal, though. And as far as art tasks go I have no idea how that would work either.

And take this how you will but the r9 290 Sapphire card I have is insanely good. I'm sure Gigabyte's 270x is also of quality, but the comp-shop friend who helped me put my system together was astounded at how finely crafted the Sapphire card was, even more once he saw how well it handled heat and whatnot. "This thing is f-----g incredible," he said more than once, lol. So maybe Sapphire is better than Gigabyte if at the same price? I dunno though, I'm guessing it varies card to card.

Oh, oh! And as far as fans go, the new i5 in my system came with a fan that, although looking kind of dinky, works just fine. I don't know why so many people complain about Intel's packaged fans on Newegg and such, they must be doing some truly crazy shit because while I'm playing graphics-intensive games or multitasking the thing never gets above 50-55c.

Also, if you're going to spend any money on accessories, Anker's CG100 mouse and Thermaltake's Poseidon Z keyboards are a dream for me in the short time I've used them, and they're a nice balance between price and performance. The mouse is 40 bones on Amazon, and the keyboard should run around 70 somewhere.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way and congrats again!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #74
Ace
Pet?

Eyeballing your second link there one of the only things I can say is go for 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB. That'll tend to work better and get you better performance and might even be cheaper if you look around a little.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #75
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

ahh yeah thank you Ace, I thought I'd fixed that already ;w; my friend suggested that too, whoops

Fatbot - I was specifically told to avoid AMD actually, supposedly has a higher rate of failures or something? I'm open to basically anything tho since I haven't had a desktop PC since like 2008 so everything I'm learning is secondhand info. D: I guess I'll look into that more!

The kind of art I do generally isn't TOO process-intensive, though it would be nice to eventually get print-quality documents to run without my laptop screaming when I resize the image hahah.

I'll check out your card though!! I don't need anything INCREDIBLE since I'm not a huge PC gamer but something that'll last me a while and let me actually play Mercenary Kings sounds great, lmao

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - Bought this mouse a couple weeks ago, and I have a similar keyboard to what you suggested wishlisted already too. :D

also my budget for this keeps going up, oh jeez. pretty soon I'll have Crysis at 100 fps. I REALLY JUST WANT TO PLAY SPIRAL KNIGHTS ON HIGH QUALITY......
Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #76
Ace
Pet?

Yeah you could pretty easily get away with spending around 100 on a graphics card. I can't remember what one but Blazen/Josh only spent around that much and he can run a lot of stuff on med/med-high settings.

On the topic of AMD/Intel Nvidia/AMD etc. really they're both fine, although I prefer Intel/Nvidia, just because.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #77
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

ok so because I'm a poop I ended up buying a pile of computer parts from a friend who just upgraded his own machine, and while it's not top of the line, it's certainly going to perform better than my current laptop. According to him he could do Saints Row 3 on medium/high with minimal framerate issues ever, so, that's already a huge step up from "can barely manage Spiral Knights on low"

anywho, what I'm looking at right now:
ASUS M4N72-E Motherboard
GeForce 9800 GTX+
CrossFire Multi GPU Link Card ... which from my understanding means I can use the 9800 GTX+ in addition to another??
1 GB Crossfire RAM sticks x2
what appears to be a standard DVD/RW drive, woo

What I'm pretty much certainly replacing/upgrading:
160 GB HDD
512 MB RAM sticks x2

What I certainly need to buy still:
Monitor lol
Case this will all fit into
1 TB HDD probz
PSU ???
Some kind of cooling unit as I heard the stock one isn't great
sssome kind of CPU

PC BUILDING IS A HECK OF A LOT MORE COMPLEX THAN I HAD INITIALLY FIGURED IT WOULD BE. WHERE ARE MY LEGOS.

at least this is like, half done already, and I have a lot more money left over than initially planned so I can upgrade this shit much more easily.

Last edited by Addy; 08-07-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #78
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

stock heat sink is fine, the fans that are in your case will do okay, don't buy additional cooling. Waste of money, shit you don't need.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #79
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

ahhh wasn't aware that a case came with fans too. I was recommended by the previous owner of these parts (guy who called you "Canada" exclusively, actually) to get another heatsink fan BUT IDK. IT'S PRETTY COOL IN MICHIGAN TOO I GUESS. *SHRUG*
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #80
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

yeah, any case you buy SHOULD come with fans that you just need to plug into the motherboard. Graphics cards have fans built in too. And unless you're doing some crazy dumb shit with your CPU, the stock heatsink you get with them is fine.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #81
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

OKAY SO DUE TO LABOR DAY SALES I BASICALLY SCRAPPED EVERYTHING AND STARTED OVER

and here's what I ended up with and some photos of the build (I still haven't booted it up since I don't have a monitor for it yet):

case: CoolerMaster HAF912 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119233
mobo: MSI 970 Gaming http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130790
PSU: EVGA 600B http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438014
HDD: Seagate 2TB Barracuda http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148834
RAM: Corsair 8GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233180
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Processor: AMD FX-6300 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014378 (managed to get this for $170, fuck yeahhh)
wireless card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320074

and then I have dis mouse already
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #82
Nuva
yes i vape

smexeh

also wish i caught that sale, mind if i use this thread for help?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #83
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

not at all! I had a lot of help with picking these parts out so if I can actually make it easier for somebody else, do eeeeet

the only bummer is that it looks like several of these items are sold out/unavailable right now, at least on NewEgg
Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #84
Nuva
yes i vape

Spoiler for :

So this is the build Ace put together for me. I can do another 100$ on top of this. There's a school sale on Newegg right now for these parts so it would be good to get everything settled before Friday but I am on the lookout for lowered prices and better parts.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #85
Nuva
yes i vape

PC is bought. Waiting for it and I'll list what I got in a bit but.

I realized I never soldered before and this will be the first time I ever did this with a CPU. What do folks recommend on that procedure? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to buy thermal grease separately.

Last edited by Nuva; 09-11-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #86
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

wait what

I never did any soldering? Everything just sorta fit together. THAT'S TERRIFYING OH GOD I"M GLAD I GOT THE PARTS I DID

also generally if you need thermal paste/grease they either come with it or come pre-greased. My CPU was pre-greased.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #87
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

What kind of CPU did you get that you have to solder it on? I didn't even think that was a thing for desktops.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #88
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

You have an i5. I am 100% fucking sure that that thing is socketed, The 1155 on the mother board is the socket size.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #89
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

hey I did the thing

Still waiting on my wireless card to show up BUT, IT BOOTED!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #90
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

Pretty sure I've never built a PC that's booted properly on the first try. Nice job!