F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Miscellaneous > Rantings of Madmen

Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Default Welcome to ASK MAYU QUESTIONS!

Welcome to ask Mayu questions!

Here's your chance to win some fabulous prizes* by asking Mayu Zane questions!

Go ahead and ask your question!

* Fabulous prizes only come in the form of answers

Last edited by Mayu_Zane; 04-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Mayu_Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Our first contestant is an orange fellow of dubious origin. His interests include all forms of cooking, games of any kind, and hugging as a form of acceptance to and from others!

Thank you for having me! I'd like to start off with a variety of questions.

Dinosaurs are threatening to tell on you, what do you do?

Where do you find inspiration?

Have you ever hidden extra images in artwork? Like background stuff as references to things or jokes?

What's a food you enjoy eating? Follow-up: What's a Comfort food for you?

What does the helmet on your avatar and character mean?

Do you have a favorite video game series?

And, to round out this set of questions:

Can I have a hug?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

GTA fan?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
That Pooka
Orange you glad

You know, I was going to mention the font, but I figured I would ask favorite video game series instead.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

You live in Singapore, right? What's that like? I'd like to hear about what's around, what the weather's like; that kind of thing.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Pooka View Post
Dinosaurs are threatening to tell on you, what do you do?
Tell them I know their deepest, darkest secrets.

Quote:
Where do you find inspiration?
EVERYWHERE. I get ideas from reading books on various subjects (including robotics, insects, cats, architecture, history of warfare, etc.), watching videos on youtube, playing video games and watching movies.

Quote:
Have you ever hidden extra images in artwork? Like background stuff as references to things or jokes?
Yes. I enjoy hiding boobs.

Quote:
What's a food you enjoy eating? Follow-up: What's a Comfort food for you?
I love eating pizza with tuna topping. A comfort food for me? Tortilla chips.

Quote:
What does the helmet on your avatar and character mean?
It means I am an explorer, an art-stronaut, a man who loves the visual arts and learning as much as he can about them. I also love topics dealing with outer space and personally believe that humanity's future depends on conquering new planets.

Quote:
Do you have a favorite video game series?
Civilization!

Quote:
Can I have a hug?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
GTA fan?
Yes. GTA: San Andreas was my favorite, but I like how GTA and Saints Row are going down very different paths. They are like two brothers, with one suffering from depression and another suffering from schizophrenia.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frent View Post
You live in Singapore, right? What's that like? I'd like to hear about what's around, what the weather's like; that kind of thing.
I live in Brunei! I just happened to stay in Singapore while taking up art courses.

Next year I will be going to Singapore for a year, studying at FZD School of Design. As for weather (both for Singapore and Brunei), it is very hot outdoors but very cold indoors due to all the air-conditioning.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Are there any songs you like listening to that you hear the first little bit of the song and instantly you remember how much you like it? If so, what songs?

Do you know the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

You are driving a bus. At the first stop, ten people get on. At the second stop, four more people get on and two people leave. At the third stop, seven people get off, and three people get on. At the fourth stop, five people get off. The Fifth stop is coming up... What color are the bus driver's eyes?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Standing Freddy
The Best Looking Guy Here

Send a message via AIM to Standing Freddy

That was on final jeopardy last night...
Standing Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standing Freddy View Post
That was on final jeopardy last night...
8[

Curse You, Trebek. InDooRs/I Heart Boobs.

This is Awesome, by the way. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Are there any songs you like listening to that you hear the first little bit of the song and instantly you remember how much you like it? If so, what songs?
Hoo boy, there are a lot of songs I like that are like that! I guess the best example would be Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now'.

Quote:
Do you know the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Donatello says hi.

Quote:
You are driving a bus. At the first stop, ten people get on. At the second stop, four more people get on and two people leave. At the third stop, seven people get off, and three people get on. At the fourth stop, five people get off. The Fifth stop is coming up... What color are the bus driver's eyes?
The bus driver has no eyes. He is the first blind bus driver in the world.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
That Pooka
Orange you glad

What's a great spot to hide stuff?

Do you like clothes with patterns like plaids, stripes, dots, checkers, or do you prefer solid colors?

What are some of those songs you enjoy?

And since you know the TMNTs, let's say you find four reptiles that mutate into something that can be trained in a martial art. You get to name them after four people, places, or things that mean a lot to you. What are the names of these four students of yours?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
What's a great spot to hide stuff?
If I answered this question, it wouldn't be a great spot for hiding things anymore!

Quote:
Do you like clothes with patterns like plaids, stripes, dots, checkers, or do you prefer solid colors?
I love stripes, especially black and white stripes. However, I'm also partial to solid greens.

Quote:
What are some of those songs you enjoy?
A lot of songs by Queen, Daft Punk, Weird Al Yankovic and quite a number of videogame soundtracks, especially Portal 2's soundtrack.

Quote:
And since you know the TMNTs, let's say you find four reptiles that mutate into something that can be trained in a martial art. You get to name them after four people, places, or things that mean a lot to you. What are the names of these four students of yours?
Warren, after Warren Ellis, the comic book author.

Michio, after Michio Kaku, my favorite theoretical physicist.

Isaac, after Isaac Asimov the sci-fi author.

Donovan, after one of my best and closest friends in high school.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Squire Ruggington
The Lunatic F.R.I.E.N.D.S

FUCK RYAN DAVIS?

Also, what is your favorite Metal Gear game?

Last edited by Squire Ruggington; 10-03-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Squire Ruggington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire Ruggington View Post
FUCK RYAN DAVIS?
FUCK RYAN DAVIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire Ruggington View Post
Also, what is your favorite Metal Gear game?
Metal Gear Solid 4, but Metal Gear Solid 3 is a very, very close second.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
Haven
the Ever Smiling

How has everyone been in the last TWO YEARSSSSquestion mark

(please read it!)
Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helrath View Post
How has everyone been in the last TWO YEARSSSSquestion mark
I don't think much has changed. At least, that's what I feel anyway.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
StevenFC
The Butt Stallion

Man a shit ton has changed! Your painting got crazy fucking good in the last few years, bro. Anyway, questions.

I LOVE ART OF DOMINATION. I FUCKING. LOVE IT. Haven't... uh, kept up on it, though. But, I want to ask, how do you worldbuild? What do you prioritize as important and unimportant to the characters and the setting and the story when trying to build the universe they live in? Where do you look to for inspirations for alien cultures and societies, or even human ones?

Oh Goddammit
StevenFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Nuva
yes i vape

Mayu, you're able to conjure up horrors quite easily, what are your inspirations?

You a fan of Lovecraft by any chance? I'm going to assume this is one of those "duuuuh" moments but if so, any particular favorite stories?

And what frankly has been your worst nightmares? This being based off you once providing the tale of how you once had a nightmare while you were asleep on an airplane.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenFC View Post
Man a shit ton has changed! Your painting got crazy fucking good in the last few years, bro. Anyway, questions.

I LOVE ART OF DOMINATION. I FUCKING. LOVE IT. Haven't... uh, kept up on it, though. But, I want to ask, how do you worldbuild? What do you prioritize as important and unimportant to the characters and the setting and the story when trying to build the universe they live in? Where do you look to for inspirations for alien cultures and societies, or even human ones?
Thank you very much!

The first thing I try to come up with when I worldbuild is a person. It's not necessarily the main character, it's someone who exists in this fictional universe. What does this person know as common sense? What does this person do as a daily routine? Then I apply the 'if it makes sense to an alien mind, put it in' rule. What this means is that I create customs, traditions, superstitions, inventions and other aspects that would not make sense to a human but would be logical to something that has never spent a second as a human being.

Next up, I create factions, each one with a different set of beliefs and core values. I think about 'how does this faction behave when it comes into contact with this other faction', and 'why would these factions be incompatible/compatible'?

I get my inspiration for societies and cultures from the vast amount of historical books I read. While I don't remember the exact facts and dates, there will always be an event or a custom from history that I can modify to fit into a fictional universe, hopefully making it cool. For example, in the second World War if a Russian T-34 tank encountered a German tank that could not be penetrated by the T-34's cannon, the T-34 would just ram straight into the German armor and immobilize it by pinning it next to something. You can turn something like that into an interesting battle doctrine or a new form of weapon/vehicle when you apply it to a universe that doesn't have to be 100% realistic.

The key rule that I obey when it comes to worldbuilding: "If it's so awesome that it doesn't need to be scientifically accurate and people will still buy it, put it in."

By the way, Art of Domination is currently on hiatus but I'm hoping to continue updating it before the end of November 2012. Hope you'll stick along for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuva View Post
Mayu, you're able to conjure up horrors quite easily, what are your inspirations?

You a fan of Lovecraft by any chance? I'm going to assume this is one of those "duuuuh" moments but if so, any particular favorite stories?

And what frankly has been your worst nightmares? This being based off you once providing the tale of how you once had a nightmare while you were asleep on an airplane.
Silent Hill, Yume Nikki, LSD: Dream Emulator, and Marble Hornets.

Yes, I am a fan of Lovecraft. Despite the fact that I disagree with his core beliefs, I love his writing style and how he attempts to make humanity seem so small, transient and insignificant, key aspects of horror that I like. My favorite one is hard to pinpoint, but The Shadow over Innsmouth is one of my top Lovecraft stories, along with The Dunwich Horror.

My worst nightmare is the one where I am stuck in a giant multi-storey maze with windows that let you see above and below, and there were vaguely human-like monsters prowling around. Then I encountered a group of people who looked normal, but weren't afraid of the monsters at all. Eventually we come across a group of monsters, and a fight happened. The humans I was with fought not like people, and what I mean is they didn't punch or kick, but they fought with their teeth. They bit and chomped the monsters to pieces, except for one which had all its limbs held down.

Then one of the men started to take off his pants. I asked him "What the hell are you doing?!" and he answered "The right thing." A woman holding down the monster said "They hunt for our flesh, only fair we make use of their flesh too."

Then the man proceeded to rape the monster, but as seconds pass the monster's hellish screams slowly transformed into the voice of a woman begging for mercy, and the rapist along with his cohorts slowly transformed into a different kind of monster, ones with long stick-like arms and misshapen eyes along with unsettling wide grins.

Then the new monsters looked at me, and said "We know you want this." I turned around and ran, shouting "NO" over and over again. The world seemed to fall apart, until I came face to face with an enormous monster made of writhing bodies. Then I saw myself at the center of the writhing mass. I don't remember much after that, but I do remember waking up and then avoiding mirrors the rest of the day.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
That Pooka
Orange you glad

That is easily one of the best answers I've read. I wish I had that kind of subconscious, but my most memorable dream/nightmare doesn't hold a candle to that.

About your art, how much time is the average sketch?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
Dia
Modern Skald

By your perception, rather than the description in a dictionary, what is innovation?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
About your art, how much time is the average sketch?
It depends. A quick sketch of a human being takes me about 30 seconds, while a more detailed drawing of a building or a vehicle can take me an hour.

I guess the average time would be 30 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia View Post
By your perception, rather than the description in a dictionary, what is innovation?
Innovation is part of what makes humans interesting. Innovation is coming up with new ways to solve old and new problems. It's trying things that most people wouldn't be brave enough or crazy enough to do. Innovation is why I want to live as long as I can, because I know that people will always come up with new ideas, even if they're taken from old inspirations.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Removed the music. Realized that it might be annoying for some folks.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

If you could be a part of a fictional video game universe, which one would it be and why?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #26
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Has your OCD ever gotten you into trouble?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
If you could be a part of a fictional video game universe, which one would it be and why?
The Sam and Max universe, because it's a world I could totally get used to. Also, I want to meet Sam and Max in person and become some kind of antagonist.

Quote:
Has your OCD ever gotten you into trouble?
Yes, mostly during conversations. I tend to get distracted by intrusive thoughts and not be able to pay attention. Also, random words keep appearing in my head; in one instance the N-word kept popping up and I was terrified I might accidentally blurt it out loud and be accused of being a racist
Old 09-05-2014, 06:12 AM   #28
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I'm asking everyone this question, but it's because I'm legitimately curious and this seems like the best way to get individual responses. If you had to name your top ten favorite games of all time, what would they be?

Elaborating on why earns bonus points and no full series answers, please!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #29
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
I'm asking everyone this question, but it's because I'm legitimately curious and this seems like the best way to get individual responses. If you had to name your top ten favorite games of all time, what would they be?

Elaborating on why earns bonus points and no full series answers, please!
Starting from the bottom of the list!

10. Monster Rancher

I was attracted to this game because of the novelty of creating new monsters from inserting different CDs into my PS1. I loved the idea that in every single disc there was a monster living inside and I could bring out to beat the crap out of other monsters. I wound up spending a lot of money buying CDs that, according to games magazines, contained powerful and rare creatures.

I got very attached to my monsters, but in some weird way I liked the fact that the monsters can age, get old and eventually die, it made them feel more 'real' and really made me put effort into how to raise them and make the most of them while they were still alive. To this day, I still hope that we can have another game like Monster Rancher but modernized, maybe something that can scan an image file or an mp3 to create a new monster for you.

9. Advance Wars: Dual Strike

One of the best turn-based strategy games, it stuck in my mind as the game that I spent the most time playing with my cousins. Making our own maps and then challenging each other to win with a clearly imbalanced map was a shared hobby.

8. Azure Dreams

A game that introduced me to the world of roguelikes, Azure Dreams was an unusual mix of Pokemon, city-building and dating sim. Looking at it now, it had a lot of great ideas but had problems with execution due to either lack of time or a big budget. Still, it has a lot of personality and I wish we could see an Azure Dreams 2 from Konami.

7. World in Conflict

The best real time strategy game I ever had the pleasure of playing with other people. Using air support and artillery felt so satisfying and I love how in multiplayer the different players had to specialize in a specific division of the military. Dozens of hours were spent playing as an Infantry commander, shooting down helicopters and busting tanks using nothing but timely infantry placements.

6. Metal Gear Solid 4

The best (and the funniest) of the Metal Gears. While the ridiculous exposition about the Beauty and Beast Unit was completely unnecessary, the game was still very fun and playing it again and again, accumulating Drebin Points and using weird new weapons and camouflage, was what filled a lot of my university days. I was satisfied with MGS4, and despite my anticipation for MGS5 I personally believe that MGS4 would have been a fitting end for the series.

5. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

When people told me that it was Civilization in space, I had to check it out. It turned out to be much more enjoyable than I expected, with different factions that held different ideologies and really cool quotes, which you can find here

Alpha Centauri was the game that really got me interested in future technology beyond a superficial 'jetpack and robot butlers' mentality. It got me into reading Isaac Asimov and other sci fi novelists, which I still do today.

4. Demon's Souls

When this game first came out, I wasn't sure what to make of it. It felt different from any game I've ever played, but despite all the deaths I felt compelled to complete it. Defeating the bosses (with the exception of the final boss and the puzzle dragon boss) gave me a strong feeling of accomplishment, and it made me a huge fan of the Souls series.

3. Persona 4

In my opinion, this was the best Persona game ever made, if only because they gave it a more optimistic and cheerful feel than the rest of the series. Despite my distaste for level-grinding and its kinda lame mystery elements, I was hooked and I wound up loving most of the game's characters and the boss fights. Being a long-time Persona fan since the first game on PS1, I was happy to see ATLUS take the series with a new vibe, though I worry about them milking Persona 3 too much. Still, Persona 4 has a big place in my heart, and I loved the 90 hours I spent playing it.

On a tangential note, it was the game that led me to Giant Bomb, and from then on I became a fan of that site.

2. Mass Effect 2

The best of the Mass Effect series, for me. The pacing, the missions and the characters all worked well together. I disliked a few changes from the first game, but overall I think it's a gigantic leap from the first Mass Effect, and made that game's universe as one of the most memorable places I had the pleasure to experience.

1. Suikoden 2

This was the RPG that defined my high school years, and was the main catalyst to my friendship with my real-life best friends. We spent days and days talking to each other about the game's story and our own strategies for party formation.

Even without that aspect, I loved Suikoden 2 for its huge cast of over 108 cool characters, its storyline full of political intrigue and charming weirdness, and the feeling that you were a part of a huge, epic conflict. Owning and running your own castle was fun too.

The only real problem I had with the game was the inability to walk diagonally, and that was it.

Honorable Mention:

Tom Clancy's End War

It's a very shallow real time strategy game with a gimmicky voice command feature but I keep playing it from time to time anyway because I love the idea of each unit having their own callsigns, random chatter and personalities, and their speech would actually change after they gain experience.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #30
Nuva
yes i vape

What are your inspirations? Ala your muses? Are you a fan of Lovecraft? If so, what story? Any other favorite authors?