F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #31
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Dogma Send a message via MSN to Mr. Dogma

Damn. Metal Gear Online is awesome. Granted there are some things I don't like about it.

1) When you spawn in Deathmatch you appear as a translucent image of yourself, kinda like a hologram. Other people can see you. You're invincible until you do something or after a certain amount of time. People will spawn camp your ass and wait for you to move so they can gun you down. It's pretty annoying. Sometimes a bunch of people spawn together and they all wait to see who moves first so they can try and kill that person. However, other times people seem to do what I feel is more socially acceptable and a little more fair. Sometimes they notice you, but scurry off anyway to leave you to spawn. This is usually met with the person who spawns leaving that person alone as well. Often times I find myself spawning next to another person. I turn and look at them, then run off to see that person I just looked at also run off in a different direction avoiding the totally retarded spawn fight.

2) Tranqing people requires infinite more skill, but the payoff is only somewhat worth it. All tranq weapons are single shot then need to be cocked again. This means the Mosin and Mk. 22. However, should you knock out your opponent, you can them kill them to score a double-kill on the same player. Also generally it only needs 2 Mosin shots to down someone. However, the SMG and assault weapons kill you way too fast. Oftentimes you can land the first hit and then you can get killed before you're able to cock the gun for the second shot. I tried using an assault rifle for a while and did a lot better, but I prefer using the tranquilizers.

3) Nailing someone with CQC seems almost impossible. Granted I managed to sneak up on people a few times by hiding in a box then popping out after they run past, but that only worked because I used the Mosin on them. Trying to get into CQC range seems like it can only be accomplished one of 4 ways: dropping onto the person from above, hiding in a box and popping out when they get too close, hiding around a corner, and just the good old-fashioned sneaking up on them while they're aiming a weapon. However, there are big problems with 3 of those. Dropping from above and hiding around a corner can be circumvented by using the 3rd person camera to your advantage to check your corners. As for the box, most people don't get close enough to boxes. They avoid them like the plague, just in case. As for the last one, you really need to run at an opponent to make sure you get close enough before they turn around on you, but it's reasonably loud and they can hear you. The crouch-walking is a lot quieter, but somewhat slower and makes it difficult to catch someone.

My bitching aside, my first day and I'm already running into awesome movie-esque style happenings.

1) I was hiding under a truck when someone got on the turret in front of me. I used the Mk. 22 to tranq his ass, then used my Mosin to snipe a guy on a hill using the mortar. The guy on the turret got back up so I tranqed him again, then swung my Mosin around to snipe another guy trying to snipe someone else. The funny part about getting on that truck was I saw a guy coming my way so I was running around the other side of the truck to avoid him.

2) I was on top of building going after an enemy sniper. I used the basic 3-hit CQC combo to kick him off the building. I then moved to the edge and watched him fall.

3) I saw another enemy sniper setting up a sleeping gas mine, then turned his SVD on me. In a moment of pure instinct I snake rolled at him to trigger his gas mine knocking us both out. It then became a race of who could shake awake first. It happened to be me, and right as he was stirring from his slumber, I tranqed him back to sleep.

4) I was running around on top of a 3+ story building when I saw an enemy combatant climbing the ladder. I looked at her and she looked at me. Out of curiosity to see if she'd do it, I backed up, pulled out my knife and started swinging it. As if to indulge my knife fight thrill, she climbed the ladder and pulled out her knife. However, she was much better at CQC than me, grabbed me and choked me out. She then tossed a grenade on my body and ran off. In true movie-hero fashion, when the grenade went off on top of me, I survived, but only to the inevitable fall to my death caused by the blast. However, I survived the fall to the ground and had enough time to shake myself awake and flee just shortly before the round timer ended.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 07-22-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Mr. Dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #32
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So yeah. Online lit class has only two weeks left counting this one. Also, finally managed to finish cleaning my Mosin. Probably gonna take that thing out this weekend or next. My concealed handgun license also came in earlier this week. I got one despite the fact I don't own a handgun because I intend to purchase one later, but I don't really see myself needing to carry it. However, I'd rather have it and not need it, than stumble across that one scenario where I wish I had it. Not really that pricey to own it anyway.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #33
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Man, I fill this thing with mostly shit from all over.

Anyway, I've got 1 week left for this lit class. I'm done next Thursday after I take the final. I've got another online chat session, one more discussion board about "Death of a Salesman", I have to come up with some stuff for a "special project", and the final. Should be simple enough. I honestly haven't really put a lot of effort into the class. Like every other class that needs reading from non-textbooks I just google everything important. Not the best thing to do, I know, but I just honestly find it hard to care about. I'm still getting an A as far as I can tell, so whatever.

I looked up how to convert my Mosin into a sniper. At this point it looks like it'd just be cheaper to buy a Mosin sniper. Conversion requires buying the new angle bolt body, the scope mount, and the scope itself. All of that will cost more than the rifle itself. Not really liking that.

I've been practicing BlazBlue a lot lately. I feel BlazBlue could become my best fighting game with some more practice. I went from dropping some basic combos with Tager to being able to actually play Noel like I originally wanted. I've improved by leaps and bounds, but I've still got a long way to go before I can even consider calling myself decent at this game.

As for Metal Gear Online it bores when I want so much for my team to win that I go with the vanilla assault rifle build. It's just so boring to play the game like a third person version of like every other online shooter. Instead I want to be a CQC/Blade user, but it's gonna be a lot of effort to level those up to the use I want. I'm going to have to be a lot sneakier and a lot more patient to successfully beat my opponents. Also, trying to isolate my opponents is incredibly difficult on some maps. I found some maps where I'm pretty good at it, but for the most part they're always traveling with at least one buddy. Now the ultimate decision is which of those two do I want to focus on? If I go Blade lvl 3 with CQC lvl 1, I can start slitting throats. C'mon, that's a pretty badass way to insta-kill someone. I can also stab (also insta-kill) a lot faster. On the other hand CQC lvl 3 with Scanner lvl 3 sounds like it'd be more beneficial to my team and allows me some more flexibility. I could grab someone with my pistol or knife, disarm them, inject them with the scanner and reveal the entire enemy team to my teammates. Then I proceed to choke them out in about 2 seconds, or go for a forward sweep into a 3 hit combo to knock them out. From there I can leave them to disable them for a while, temporarily putting them out of commission longer than if I killed them, plus they're stuck with their pistol until they die, effectively rendering them less useful, or I can just kill them and move on. Alternatively, I can now use assault rifles or SMGs in combination with my CQC. I could use the disarm sweep which takes away the enemy's gun AND instantly knocks them out while still allowing me to carry a much more potent weapon should I encounter his or her teammates. I can then also choose to leave them for the same reason as before, or again, just shoot them and run off. Unfortunately, I can't scan them if I do that, because you can't grab someone with a two-handed gun. It really sounds like the more useful option, but the insta-killing with the knife sounds pretty awesome too.

I never got around to my SF2: The Animated Movie Abridged like I wanted. Oh well. My voice acting sucks anyway, so I guess it's not that big of a loss. I'm pretty damn crippled because I feel like my voice is low-pitched enough that I can't fake any girl voices, but also high-pitched enough that it's really hard to fake some of the guy voices. There are some exceptions to the latter, but still. With my natural voice I feel I could only really pull off a Henchman 21 kind of character. Plus, again, I have no experience with Adobe Premiere. I know my editing would be terrible and the lip-synching would be all over the place.

I've lost 10 pounds since the summer started. I guess yay? It didn't really fit in anywhere, but I felt like mentioning it.

I've started watching K-on! which has oddly enough re-sparked my interest in learning guitar. Just as well, I feel bad that I haven't played that thing since the first month I got it.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #34
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

I guess I'll liven this page up a little with some music.

Oh yes, I also admit I'm a pansy because this song brings a tear to my eye. I'm not sure why.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 10-12-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #35
Ivan
Staring at the past

Send a message via MSN to Ivan Send a message via Skype™ to Ivan

Chock up another reason for me to play an MGS game. >>
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #36
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

God dammit, I know I can be awesome at MGO when I decide to go for broke and use my assault rifle build with the XM8 but there are limits.

So I played a match earlier as a warm-up. It was me (level 4) and two level zeros against a level three, a level two, and a level 0. That 3 and 2 were in a clan and were obviously friends. One of my level zero teammates left the game and then the other one I don't think had ever played Metal Gear Solid before. So we lost the first match because I was CQC spec'd and I couldn't isolate any of them. Well except one time, I managed to knock their level zero out and knife him to death just before the timer ended, giving us the win. But it was awful. So the second round, the level zero on my team who was doing okay left early. We lost because it was me CQC spec'd and a dead weight teammate against a team of three who were actually working together. It was bad. I didn't know he was dead weight just yet though.

Second match starts and I'm stuck with the level zero again. I thought ,"That's fine, because I'm going serious with my XM8 bullshit." So the match starts and immediately off the bat I find my teammate doing nothing but crawling around and hiding in the cardboard box. He's not even trying to shoot at the enemy and he won't stick close to me and work as a team. So I'm like, "Fuck it. I'm XM8 spec'd now, I can do this." And I was right. I carried the round against the three team players and won the first round. The second round though, the other team caught on to the fact I had a dead weight teammate and they abused that fact to hell, inevitably causing me to lose because the guy did nothing. Based on my kills and deaths, had my teammate left or just tried to stay out of sight, I actually would've won that round too, thus winning the match.

Instead of someone who could've at least tried to shoot at the enemy and stick together with me, I got a guy who for all I know might have actually been a friend of the other 3 and was working specifically to get me to lose. It was kind of exciting to test my limits though. Maybe if I had used a sniper rifle the second round things would've worked out differently. Having to fire multiple shots and alerting the enemy team to my presence before scoring a kill was definitely a detriment.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #37
Radman
King of the Radical Land

Yeah, Sniper rifles are really good at picking off people without the team even knowing about it. Hell, the SVD rifle can take out someone with 3 body shots. It's one of the things that finally prompted my brother to switch from the relatively high risk assault rifle build, to a more useful Sniper Rifle build.

I think the only time he changes his build is when the map itself is small or too cluttered, in which case he goes for the assault rifle build.
Reality has a notorious liberal bias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Scope View Post
I agree with Ves. Fuck 'em.

Then fuck her. Fuck everybody.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #38
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Hmm... yes... this thing. Lesse...

I'm back in Austin. Classes start up tomorrow morning and I've been doing my best to enjoy myself before classes begin. Excluding Tuesday, I've only got 2 classes a day. Unfortunately, Tuesday I've got a once a week class from 3: 30-6: 30. It's fucking late and leaves me having to find a different dinner option and I'm gonna be hungry as hell during class. Fortunately, I have assorted snackables for such an occasion.

I started up the first tabletop game I think I'll stick with: Flames of War. It's a WWII tabletop game that covers different time frames and assorted campaigns and scenarios. I'm playing German infantry for the time being. I've also blown through almost $300 since the start of the game. King Tiger ($20), Panzer IV H platoon ($55), 2 Grenadier platoons ($40), Company HQ ($11), FoW Starter Kit w/ 2 StuG G ($20), German Infantry paint ($20), Smoke/Fire ($10), Panzer Aces paint ($23), Primer ($15), Paint Brushes ($8), Files ($12), Glue ($5), Major Konig ($12).

Arkham Asylum gets here later today and I'm gonna play the hell out of that game as best I can. I've also picked Dawn of War Platinum Edition to play with a friend of mine, who I convinced to buy Red Orchestra.

Oh right, I've got another new TV. Since my 32" was too big to fit into the dorm, I got a 24". The 24" is a 1080p while the 32" is a 720. So, yeah. Coo.

Shit, I've got like nothing left to say. I'm thinking about writing a story about a German sniper. Just the sniper this time. Hopefully this turns out better than my last story since I only have to focus on the one character and I feel like I can add in more detail and mindsets. Plus, I have no deadline so I can take as long as I want for this one.

Alright, I'ma eat my lunch now.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 08-25-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #39
Skeeblar
Pirate-Hunter

Send a message via Skype™ to Skeeblar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dogma View Post
Dawn of War Platinum Edition
We should play.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #40
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

We should. I'm probably gonna pick up Soulstorm a little later this month too.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #41
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Holy fuck, it's been nearly a month since I've used this thing. Okay, what do I talk about.

I finally have my Guild of Calamitous Intent hoodie. Once the weather permits, I'm going to rock that thing as often as possible. When I get asked what the GCI is, I'm going to try my very best to say "It's the number 1 world leader in organized supervillainy". A few years ago I wore my Jenova's Witness shirt and got asked if "The Church of the One Winged Angel of Latter Day Summons" was an actual church. I really should've said yes.

I played the ever loving shit out of Arkham Asylum and felt the collector's edition was reasonably worth it, but that's cause I love Batman. I'm still 2 trophies/4 challenges away from 100% the trophy collection for the game. I should do that some time, but I haven't done it already because of...

I bought Champions Online. My pay to play MMO cherry has officially been popped and I'm not a virgin when it comes to the matter any more. I spend a lot of time with the character customization, often only getting a character to level 6 or so to see what new powers become available and giving them a travel power, before creating a new character. It's not that I don't like the characters I make from a playstyle standpoint (though occasionally that's true), it's that I want to test out each power and what not, and I also enjoy creating a character to reflect what power it is I want to give them. That and for those who visit the CO thread, already know I've made The Monarch. I'll probably be on that a lot more often.

I pre-ordered Ultimate Alliance 2, and as a way to prepare for it, this weekend I had some friends over for pizza, Smirnoff, and Ultimate Alliance 1. Overall a pretty fun time. Watched some Futurama during the food eating time and what not.

Classes are going about as much as I could hope for. Medical Terminology can be a bit daunting when I wait until the last couple of days to learn the terms before a quiz. Especially when that number goes around 300 or so. I ended up getting 32 out of 37 right, so that's like a high B. Not bad for serious cramming the night before. It's just too bad I didn't categorize the prefixes, roots, and suffixes. I figured that would make learning the terms too easy and I would be doing too much association or something with them and that I wouldn't truly be learning the terms. I'd be learning them as a subset of something else instead of individually. Turns out, I needed to know what they were a subset of. So I missed a few questions due to that.

My 3: 30-6: 30 Tuesday only class is pretty awesome. Professor has a British accent, so it keeps the lectures very lively. We do a lot of questionnaires and other things too so it's not just all lecture. The lectures are at least interesting as well, so I don't feel like the class is dragging. There's one girl that really looks like someone I've seen before and it bugs the hell out of me I can't figure who. It's completely irrelevant to anything, but something about it just makes me want to know.

My roommate is okay. Turns out he's older than me. A friend of his said 26? Explains why he has a masters already. However, he does have some annoying tendencies. He's a music major, specializing in voice, so I expect singing or what not. But he sings the same damn song over and over again. It sounds religious in nature about some guy running from his sins or something and burning in hell. It wouldn't be so bad if I knew he was doing it for a recording or for practice for an audition, but when he just does random segments of it at random times, I know he's just doing it to do it. He also has this weird habit of randomly spouting out the phrase "I love Lord Jesus". It's at the weirdest times. He also repeats a lot of phrases or sounds he hears on TV. That's all fairly tolerable, but the one thing that really irks me is that he does recordings of Bible readings in Chinese. The act in itself isn't annoying, especially since I know it's for something, but what irks me is that this thing has a deadline, but he waits until fucking midnight like every time before he starts recording. And these aren't short. They usually last 2 or 3 hours. I wake up at 8. It's incredibly annoying trying to find something to do until 3 in the morning knowing I'm going to be up at 8, because I know it will be impossible for me to sleep with him doing the recordings. And it's not quiet either. I can hear it down the hallway. I'm sure our neighbors are getting a little annoyed with it too. On the upside, I know I can have alcohol in here now, so maybe that will take the edge off.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #42
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Oh man, this thing. Lesse, where to start.

My classes are going well. My medical terminology class seems relatively stable in terms of grades. Depends on how many terms I need to know for each test. Pretty much nailed my Sociology of Criminal Justice test without studying. I've already taken a Psychology of Criminal Justice and Criminology class, so a lot of the starting stuff for this class was covered already. It's interesting stuff and my professor is awesome. Took my Psyche of Sex test, and I don't really know how I did. I've got another Criminal Justice test tomorrow, an Intro to Social Research test on Friday, and a Personality Assessment test next Tuesday (i.e., not tomorrow).

I still play Champions Online somewhat, I should really play more, but it's more fun with people I know, but that consists of mostly people who are busy, so yeah.

Also, seems like pizza, alcohol, and movies have become a biweekly event. The once every two weeks definition, not the twice a week definition. Me and some of my friends get together, order some pizza, drink some assorted alcohol, and watch a movie or movies, and a few episodes of Futurama. Or instead of Futurama we play something like Ultimate Alliance. Good times. We went to Spec's Liquor and got some Southern Comfort and Seven Crown. He also had some leftover Mike's Hard Lemonade so we had some of that. I learned I make a lot of sex jokes when I'm buzzed.

I've got a job now on campus. Assorted stuff. So far it's only been dealing with sound equipment. Pays like $7.26 an hour, which could be considered an understatement since we get paid more than the actual amount of work we do. E.g., I clock in at 3: 30 and move the equipment to the scheduled event. I unload it it, set it up, and leave within about 30 minutes. I come back about 5 hours later to pack up, bring the equipment back, and clock out, which takes about another 30 minutes. I get paid for about 5 1/2 hours for doing essentially an hour's worth of work. It's got flex hours too, so if I need to do other shit, I can.

My roommate is officially bugging me now. I'm chalking up his lack of sense of personal space to some kinda cultural thing. But the main thing that bugs me is he's still doing those recordings like super late at night and it's starting to fuck with my sleep schedule. It doesn't bother him cause his classes start later than mine. I really need to ask for a cutoff time to do this shit. I know he's on a deadline, but if he didn't record for like 30 minutes then sit there for an hour doing I dunno what, he wouldn't be behind all the damn time. Or when he's just lazing about the room he could be working on it instead. I mean, if he does it during the day I already turn off my TV or stop using my microphone if I'm playing a game with someone, there needs to be some kind of fucking balance. I'm really getting tired of getting like 5 hours of sleep because of something that he needs to do.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 12-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #43
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Yeah, this a pretty close update to the last one, but I got some stuff to say that's a little depressing.

The health of one of my professors is failing him. He's had respiratory and cardiac problems since before the start of the semester. He's had to cancel classes on more than one occasion and I've been incredibly paranoid the past few weeks that something serious was going to happen to him near the end of his lectures. His weakened condition has caused him to need to stop and gasp and wheeze for breath in the middle of lectures and often as of late he's had to cancel class as short as 12 minutes in. I've been worried about him and have been anticipating his leave for medical reasons ever since the very first day he had to stop early. As it turns out, this Thursday I was right. He did not arrive to class this week and I learned that he is now taking medical leave to try and recuperate. A fellow classmate made a get well card for him and it was incredibly disheartening to see just how few people in the class signed it. Also disheartening was that I seemed to be one of two guys that signed it. Anyway, when the TA asked us if we had any questions, it didn't feel right that immediately everyone jumped to questions about grades and test formats and lectures. At least one person did ask about our professor so my faith was restored slightly, but it's still a sad thing. I can understand where the other students are coming from being worried about the grade and the class, but it just came off as really callous and selfish.

It's also a little depressing to kinda be reading the hard times that it seems a lot of people are going through here on the forums. Maybe it's just a matter of whose journals I choose to read, maybe there's a part of me that just instinctively knows which ones are like that. Maybe it's because it's easy to piece together just who seems to be in trouble from the messages I read on the usual threads I visit. Unfortunately, I don't really know a lot of them well enough to really feel like I should comment. Maybe it's because I just don't know how to anymore. I used to be really in-tune with this kind of thing and I used to know what to say to make the person feel a little bit better, but it's just gone. Maybe I just lost hope somewhere along the line, I don't know. I don't really have any comforting words for them all. All I have is a blanket statement that while is truly sincere, it probably will mean little because of how plain it is. My heart goes out to you guys and I really hope things work out for the best for you. I can't pretend I know what you're going through, and I can't pretend to know how to make things right. All I can do is sit here, tell you what you want to hear, and deep down wish that it all goes right.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #44
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Alright, this thing again. My birthday was Friday. Thanks again to all those who wished me a happy birthday. My second paycheck happened to be deposited that day as well. My parents gave me $100 and my brother gave me a $25 gift card to Best Buy. Good thing on the paycheck since I immediately spent about $200 into Flames of War goodies. My personal pride and joy is that I finally got the chance to paint my King Tiger.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 12-30-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #45
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So yeah, my head is gonna explode.

The semester is coming to a close and a bunch of major assignments are around the corner. This sounds like a bad thing, but to me it's a relief. Originally one of my classes I thought I had no chance of an A in, I discovered there was some errors entering grades online, thus I thought providing me a chance for an A in the class if I did well enough on the last test. I felt like crap because I had already skipped a class because I had decided it wasn't worth going anymore in that case, and I didn't have my book so I couldn't study. Right now I learned that I had made an error in calculation myself, and I in fact don't have a chance for that A. Bad news turned good because...

One of my classes I'm doing really shitty. As in not failing, but not enough for it to count towards my major. I can pull it up, but I have to score a 90 on the last test. This should tell you how badly I'm doing. The test is the 3rd of December and I've been studying since the 23rd of this month. I think that's enough time, but I don't think I'll be able to retain enough knowledge of the readings and get the right stuff from the lectures to be successful. I won't need to repeat the class per se, but I would need to take something from that section next semester, but more importantly it would hurt my GPA.

As if that's not already enough to keep me occupied, I also have a test on the Friday right after. This is a 30% of my grade test. Not enough to kill me, but enough to really hurt if I do poorly. As if the strain from needing to do well on the other one wasn't bad enough, this has to follow immediately after. Why couldn't it have been a final?

To make things exponentially worse, I also have a paper due that Friday as well. This is another major paper worth 20% of my grade. The thing that makes this particularly scary is that I don't know how I did on the 2nd paper. It hasn't been graded yet, so I don't know what problems I have or how to improve. Also, this means I have no idea how well I need to do on this last paper to obtain a desirable grade.

This is gonna be a very stressful upcoming week. One extraordinarily important test, a major test, and a major paper all at the end of the week. I really don't know if I can do it. I really, really don't. The importance of all of them is enough to cause enough stress to potentially burn me out and make me suffer on all three. All I can do is keep studying for the most important one, but how do I squeeze in time to work on my paper and study for the other major test? Shit... I do not approve. Why couldn't one or both tests be a final? I would rather have to stay late into December and go home late than have all these tests together like this.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #46
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Holy fuck, this thing. Okay, what's worth talking about...

Lesse, things of note that I mentioned in my last post. All my classes turned out okay. Yippee and all that. Classes pick up again on the 19th of January, so I still have lots of time to relax. Oh, in one of my classes I had a nice stroke of luck. Following the Thanksgiving break, I had forgotten to do a homework assignment, which was worth 9% of my overall grade. Turns out the Sunday of finals week, my TA started grading them and e-mailed me at like 1 in the morning to tell me she couldn't find mine and asked me to e-mail it to her. Whether she was being sympathetic that I didn't turn it in, liked me because I never missed a class, or whatever, I got my points for it, however many that may be.

I'm still spending lots of money on "Flames of War" the WWII tabletop game I keep buying shit for. I have 4 companies worth now. Fallschirmjager, Grenadier, Panzer, and now a Soviet tank company. Good shit, can't wait to get it all painted. Also, just as a thing for me I bought a model of a Tiger tank used in Tunisia and painted it in my own personal camo scheme. Much more importantly, it prominently features the Monarch logo, thus dubbed by myself as The Monarch Tiger.

Hmm other things. I'm still obsessed with Dragon Age: Origins. I'm over 40 hours in and I think the end of the game is starting to come into view, but I've loved every minute of it. I'm already making plans for my second run-through of the game. This easily ranks as my favorite game of all time. There hasn't been a game I've played that I can remember that I enjoyed as much as this. A large part of the fun was immersing myself into the world. Listening to all the stories tell about themselves, listening to the history and culture of each town, and reading the various codex entries I stumbled across all helped me enjoy the game to the best of my abilities. Plus, I like the music a lot. It's extremely fitting and I can't really imagine it being done any other way.

I also picked up Borderlands recently and though I have played a bit with a friend of mine and Addy, I think I'm going to hold off on the game until I finish at least my first playthrough of Dragon Age. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but I enjoy Dragon Age so much more, and knowing I haven't beaten it makes me feel dirty when I play something else that. Like I'm cheating on it or something.

Christmas was nice. Spent some time with my family and what not. It was interesting to see the reactions from people based on the gifts I had given them. My brother who had asked for the newest Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen movie, not only received that from me, but the first one as well. He didn't have the first one, and wanted it, but didn't mention it in his list. My sister-in-law was very surprised to see that I had stopped by Victoria's Secret to pick her up a gift card. Everyone was kinda shocked cause I look really out of place there, and not just cause of the whole "I have a penis" thing. My nephew will hopefully enjoy the Thomas the Tank Engine toys I got him, but he's still young, so I can't really be sure. My dad got Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III. I tried to find First Blood: Part I but to no luck. I got my mom a Josh Groban CD, but unfortunately she already had that one. Kinda the only letdown for me. My brother picked me up the sniper bolt for my Mosin Nagant and my dad got me the scope. Now we just gotta finally getting around to test firing the Mosin and mounting the scope. I assembled the bolt yesterday, so it needs to be tested. Oh, I also got The Venture Bros. season 1 and 2, and the God of War collection.

Oh, and the original reason I popped in here was that while talking with Addy, who was about to play Phantasy Star, I was reminded of shitty moments in video games for me. During a boss battle a dragon fell on me and killed me. After, me and my friends had killed it and it was in the process of dying in a cinematic. So now, my top 5 lamest deaths due to shit falling on me.

Mr. Dogma's Top 5 Lamest Deaths caused by falling objects
What initially triggered this was Addy's mention of Phantasy Star. Back in high school I was playing some version of the game with some friends. The first boss was this large dragon. We beat it, but because of my positioning, during the cinematic, the dragon fell on me and killed me, thus robbing me of the experience points I would have gained from the battle. This kickstarted my memories of shit falling on me and killing me as tends to happen in a lot of games.
4. I remember in a Halo match, I was in the process of trying to kill someone when the tank respawned on top of me and killed me.
3. Later that same match, a Warthog spawned on top of me and killed me.
2. In GTA IV, I had just set off a large chain reaction of explosions. I was still a little too close and got hurt by the explosion and knocked back, but I lived. While walking away, a burning car landed on top of me and killed me.
1. In GTA: San Andreas, I was riding around on a bicycle when a plane fell out of the sky, landed on top of me, and killed me.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 02-18-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #47
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

I am amazed that you can make a LIST of the worst deaths from things falling on you. XDD

And I was wondering why you weren't on Borderlands, but it's understandable. I usually stick with only one game at a time. >> But if I am ever on and you're playing? Just send a message~
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #48
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself... That is coffee."
Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #49
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

Send a message via MSN to SliceSabre Send a message via Skype™ to SliceSabre

Number 1 happened to me once. But I was just walking around.
SliceSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #50
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Man, I actually miss how my roommate was last semester. I feel like I'm babysitting a man 8 years older than me.

I mean let's see: I turn off his light for him; I tell him to take out his trash; I supply him the tools he needs to do whatever (which usually involves him constantly asking me for the scissors I don't have); I turn up the volume on the TV when he asks instead of him just asking and then doing it; he constantly uses me as his on personal Google by asking me the weather, where to get a haircut, how to do this and that, and who to talk to do this or that; he asks me questions that he doesn't really care about the answer to and therefore does not listen, as evidenced by the fact he will often repeat the question later on (I.e. asking me for scissors, or how old I am, or where I'm from); finally, he sleeps constantly and me trying not to be the asshole results in me being quiet 75% of the time he's in the room. That last one though I'm getting sick of and if I'm doing something when he comes back, I just keep on doing it. I'm not gonna cut my mic while gaming and talking on Ventrilo to strategize.

Let's see, moving past why I feel he's not really that mature, what else can I gripe about? His snoring is terrible. It's soooo loud. Also, he keeps going "So you're not sick yet?" As I've mentioned earlier while bitching about his hypersomnia, I learned that the most recent excessive sleeping might be due to him being sick. However, him tacking on that "yet" every single time he makes that statement got me annoyed enough I confronted him about it in front of company that he brought over. The way he uses it implies that he's either waiting for me to get sick or is trying to get me sick.

His mental stability has become immensely shaky. He laughs to himself and at inappropriate times. I remember while he was on the phone one night, he started laughing and I heard the other person go "Why are you laughing?" and he answered with "I'm just laughing". A lot of times while he's here he'll just start doing it, often followed by some non sequitur statement. Most often it's a laugh followed by "No!" then more laughing. I remember the other day he started laughing then said "Western African dance" then kept laughing. Then later he just blurted out "I love Western African dance". As for additional strange or inappropriate laughing, I remember he was talking to me about the people who smoke on campus and was obviously very against it and then asked me why I don't smoke. I told him I just don't, then he goes "Don't you think it's cool?" and I went "No, I don't. I just don't care if other people do it", to which he replied "Maybe you should do it? Is there another reason you don't?" I then mentioned that several members of family died to complications caused by their smoking... He laughed. He fucking laughed in my face. Honestly, I wanted nothing more to hit him. Hard. Really, really hard. When the plane crashed into that building in Austin, he was the first to tell me about it. And he laughed about it.

No transitioning into weird shit he says, there was a time he kept saying "Dollar menu... Chicken sandwich" for a full hour. There's a lot of times he just blurts out "shit" or "fuck" without anything preceding it. He also likes to drag the sound out going "fffffffffffffuuuuck, ffffffffuck, fuck, fffffffuuuuuuuuuck" a lot. Some of the weirder times involved him going "Fffffffuck, fuck you, fffffffuck, I love you". Sometimes he just says "fuck you" over and over again. Sometimes he goes "Shit! Fffffffuck, I love Lord Jesus". I really miss when he would just go "OOOOOOOOOOH JEEEEEEEEEESUS! I LOVE JESUS! I LOVE LORD JESUS!" over and over again, even when he was with me in public. At least that I had an explanation for.

Frankly, I attribute his recent actions due to his mental state. He was fine, but kept believing he was sick. As such he acted sick until eventually his mind finally decided to succumb to his thoughts thus rendering his body and his immune system weaker. My evidence to support this hypothesis came from a still somewhat recent event. After sleeping for about 13 hours one night, he woke up and then began pacing in the room while faux crying and going "I'm sleepy. I'm sleepy". As a side note, this almost brought me to the point of throwing something at him because his snoring, tossing and turning, and slapping his sleeping bag (yes, he sleeps in a sleeping bag on his bed) had detracted from my sleep by a total of about 3 hours. In turn he became sick shortly thereafter and thus began his sequence of additional excessive sleeping. This excessive sleeping in turn kept him from his overly religious nature. With him no longer spending so much time with his bible, religious friends, and church, his mental state began to deteriorate. Essentially, his religion is what kept him at a relatively sane level and kept his mind in check.

According to earlier testimony he's been sick for 2 weeks now. He should be better by now because he's exhibited no additional symptoms besides fatigue and coughing. However, from listening to the constant excuses he's been giving to people about needing to miss scheduled activities (class not excluded), it is to my belief that he still believes he is sick. The mind is a very interesting thing, and so his belief that he is sick is keeping him sick.

Personally, I have a fortress of an immune system, which I attribute to my mental state. I believe that immune system is a fortress and that I'm near untouchable when it comes to sickness. This acts as a placebo effect which turn actually makes my immune system stronger. I believe this to be why I can actually be around numerous sick people and not develop whatever illness that might be plaguing them. It is also why when I actually did develop something last year, bronchitis (identified through self-diagnosis. I've had it many times in the past and had all the necessary symptoms. It was such a common thing for me at a young age I would tell my doctors that I had it, and they always confirmed it), I was able to shrug it off in under a week, despite that recovery usually needs 2 to 3 weeks. In summary, the mind works wonders on the body.

Frankly, despite my patience wearing ever increasingly thin with him and thus making the tiniest chips in my own mental state, I find the situation fascinating. If I examine his actions more closely, will I actually be able to attribute it all to a specific mental illness? If I were to ask a professional following my examination, would they agree? I imagine that might bode well for me in a professional career. An undergraduate student able to diagnose his roommate with a mental disorder? As long as it's not something blatantly obvious, I can't imagine it would hurt. Hopefully, my mind doesn't crack as well. I know I've felt on the breaking point on more than one occasion. I'll probably start using this a record to build up a case file on him until the semester is over.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #51
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

Based on the verbal stuff and the lack of social normality, I'd be willing to guess Aspberger's.

Yes, it is real. My brother has it, and so at his school and in various groups he ends up going to and whatnot, I've ended up observing a lot of aspies over the years, and what your roommate's doing sure sounds a lot like that.

Of course, I'm hardly a medical professional, and I could be wrong. That's just my guess.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #52
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Hmm... I shall look more into this.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #53
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

Send a message via MSN to SliceSabre Send a message via Skype™ to SliceSabre

Ever consider the possibility that nothing is wrong and he's just different?

I love it when people try to place a label on every little thing people do that isn't considered 'normal'.
SliceSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #54
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Because I'm not ready to give up my current sig yet.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #55
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So I have one these formspring things now. It's also linked in the second quote in my sig.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #56
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Hmm... I guess I could do a legitimate entry in here for once. Let's see... what is there to talk about.

So, my spring break was last week. Nothing major. Got to hang out with my regular set of friends, picked up Pokemon, got to visit my usual hobby store, and learned one of my friends back home managed to land a job. Also, I finally got my scope on my Mosin. My dad found a gunsmith who was willing to do the job for $75 instead of the $200 that every other place asked for. This guy was good too. He made a stock for a K98k from scratch out of a piece of a tree outside his house. He had it crafted so well that everything was able to just slide in. Neat stuff. As for my Mosin, I finally got a chance to take it out to shoot, and that thing kicks like a mule. A lot of places seemed hesitant to fire it, not because it was in bad shape (it wasn't, I made sure to thoroughly clean that thing and the rifle had never been fired, or if it had, then not that much), but because they knew they'd be in pain after about a box of ammo. I went through somewhere about 30-40 rounds before I decided enough was enough. I came back that night with a large bruise where I had been resting the rifle butt. Still fun though. Also took the GRE last week too. Considering I had never taken it before and had no prep, I'd say I did pretty well. I don't know my writing scores yet, but the post-test scoring for the Verbal and Quantitative sections are definitely high enough to be accepted by most grad programs.

Alright, time for the slightly more serious stuff. My last semester as an undergrad is coming to a close. I needed 9 hours to graduate, but I'm taking 12 for insurance purposes. Anyway, graduation is not that far away. After a little bit of soul searching last week, I decided that pursuing a Master's degree in psychology to try and obtain a career with Human Resources was not my thing. Other than an interest in abnormal psychology, I don't exactly have that much of an aptitude for it... or at least not as much as I'd like.
Criminology and Criminal Justice has proven to be my strong suit. Granted, the grades are quite indicative of that at only around mid-B's to low A's, but that's because I hadn't taken that on as my true calling and passion yet, and so I was still focusing harder on my psychology. Had I put more effort into it, I have no doubt that it would've turned out better. Anyway, once I admitted to myself, my brother, and my dad that I was more interested in that, they were more than supportive and were willing to help out by providing people I could talk to and possible career choices. My mom, as always, was less than thrilled. I think she's still upset that I didn't become a doctor or a lawyer or something else I would inevitably not enjoy, but would make a lot of money. Anyway, my dad told me he knew a couple criminologists and their suggested grad program. My brother gave me something even more interesting. He had actually applied to join the FBI, but because he already has a family (wife and kid) he couldn't exactly uproot to Kansas for the necessary training. However, seeing as I'm still single, it wouldn't even be an issue for me. So, he's going to send me the contact info for the HR office of the FBI office he visited. This way I can see what schools they regularly recruit from and what kind of degree I should be looking for. He suggested a path in criminal profiling. So yeah, now that's what I'm looking at. It sounds a lot more interesting than being an HR, and it should make some decent money. Hopefully something can come out of that, because I've always wanted to get a job that I could both enjoy and make money out of it, so here's hoping.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #57
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Sounds cool, man. Make sure you drink a lot of coffee if you get into laws, law enforcement and/or lawyering. Also, I didn't know shooting was a hobby of yours. That's pretty cool. Do you hunt, or do you just prefer to sharpshoot?
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #58
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Haha, I'm gonna go to work dressed like Godot while drinking black coffee. And yeah, my dad took me out to shoot for the first time back in high school. I've tried out lots of stuff and oddly enough, a lot of gaming taught me how to operate a lot of the guns I've rented from shooting ranges. And I prefer just to sharpshoot. I seem to have a talent for the M1911, AR-15, MP5, M21, and PS-90.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #59
Standing Freddy
The Best Looking Guy Here

Send a message via AIM to Standing Freddy

I want to shoot your guns... :(
Standing Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #60
DiscoVader
CRYSTALS ARE INTEGRAL

Send a message via AIM to DiscoVader Send a message via MSN to DiscoVader Send a message via Skype™ to DiscoVader

DOGMA'S A SUIT

HIDE THE ALCOHOL AND WOMEN, WE GOT A FED

Behold, my mastery of the mammal haiku!
Platinum: 0860 9533 3376|HeartGold: 3052 0550 5705
DiscoVader is offline   Reply With Quote