F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Artistic Endeavors > Eye Candy

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Kaze
QUICKSCOPENOSCOPE360WREKT

Default Kaze vs. Sketchbook

Just a little thread to chronicle my forays into art and record my progress. I thought it was about time I did so, and since I spend quite a bit of time here, why not?

Spoiler for 11 April 2012:

Spoiler for 13 April 2012:

Spoiler for 16 May 2012:

Spoiler for 21 May 2012:

Spoiler for 29 May 2012:

Special thanks to Ryan for taking a look at these and giving me pointers afterwards. Definitely working on incorporating those in the upcoming ones.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
Kaze

Spoiler for 2 June 2012:

Currently working on another, I'll upload it when I've made some solid progress.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Balto
8I

You should draw more often. Practice will make you fabulous.
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Dacrazybird
shut UP.

Send a message via AIM to Dacrazybird Send a message via MSN to Dacrazybird Send a message via Skype™ to Dacrazybird

Yes, yes, lots of practice

yes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Nuva
yes i vape

>_>

<_<

Drawing from real life is the best practice you can get.

P.S. Have fun, Kaze. Drawing is fun.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Kaze

All the practice! Also I'm working on coming up with a step-by-step process that I can follow for drawings.

There just isn't enough time in the day for me though, I'll start working on something after work and before I know it, I'm pushing past midnight, wanting to keep drawing, but risk not being able to wake up in time for work.

I'll try and have something up later, though!

Edit: I know Nuva! I make use of any and every reference I can find.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it means a lot!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Kaze

Spoiler for 6 June 2012:

There are things about this picture that bother me. Particularly in the hips/waist and shoulders/upper chest area. I've tried redrawing multiple times but it just isn't coming out right.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
Balto
8I

The hips should form out higher up than that. Her whole pelvis should be wider too.

Couple of examples.

Spoiler for :

Spoiler for :
"]

Spoiler for :

The fore arm is also longer than the upper arm. Is supposed to be I mean.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Nuva
yes i vape

I'm probably going to sound stupid but when I took an anatomy class, I learned more about the body then I could learn breaking it into shapes. Knowing where everything is is a lot easier to keep in mind. Of course, said anatomy class had me also breaking said materials into shapes since at the time I hadn't the skill to detail them, but still.

Muscles are a bitch to learn, though. I'm still practicing muscles. But I find it much easier to work with people knowing what bones curve and bend and when they end. It has...I suppose, for a lack of a better way of putting it, made me see people on the paper a lot better.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Kaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
The hips should form out higher up than that. Her whole pelvis should be wider too.

Couple of examples.

Spoiler for :

Spoiler for :
"]

Spoiler for :

The fore arm is also longer than the upper arm. Is supposed to be I mean.
Duly noted, thanks Balto! I'm at work now, but I'll make the adjustments when I get home tonight. <:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuva View Post
I'm probably going to sound stupid but when I took an anatomy class, I learned more about the body then I could learn breaking it into shapes. Knowing where everything is is a lot easier to keep in mind. Of course, said anatomy class had me also breaking said materials into shapes since at the time I hadn't the skill to detail them, but still.

Muscles are a bitch to learn, though. I'm still practicing muscles. But I find it much easier to work with people knowing what bones curve and bend and when they end. It has...I suppose, for a lack of a better way of putting it, made me see people on the paper a lot better.
PFFFSSFSFSHGHHSFHST Nuva I do not see how that is stupid, different methods work for different people! To be honest, I kinda regret not taking any art related classes in school, but at the same time I didn't have the drive then that I have now.

I do see what you mean, though, and I'll look into it when I can!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Nuva
yes i vape

Only said it was stupid cause you could probably imitate an anatomy class pretty easily with books and the internet. Just need the motivation to find the stuff.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
Kaze

Oh.

WELL THEN.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Nuva
yes i vape

What's your excuse? >: C
Old 06-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Kaze

My excuse for not taking an anatomy class is that there are none near me!

Otherwise, I am practicing anatomy, and trying out different ways to go about drawing people in hopes of finding a method that clicks with me. Your suggestion is added to that list!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
Nuva
yes i vape

:D

>: C

>:D
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
Kaze

I have no idea what's going on there. D:

Also Nuva you should 1) Participate in my art contest and 2) Consider joining in the traveling sketchbook!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Balto
8I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
My excuse for not taking an anatomy class is that there are none near me!
Same for me. NO NEED TO BE SO INFINITELY SASSY NUVA!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #18
Kaze

Default RYAN C APPRECIATION POST

Spoiler for Red Line 1:
You're certainly going about these poses the right way, it's important to understand a body's individual shapes and you're drawing them out that way. I'd say your biggest problem right now is that these characters look like starving African children from those World Vision ads, it's just skin and bones, no musculature. If you're healthy, you have plenty of musculature, they are what you need to move around.

Posing in this picture is awkward, especially at the waist down, her upper legs are angled way too high, it's hard to be comfortable when you're doing that. They're also symmetrical, mirrored positions. Humans only look symmetrical, but they move in ways that puts weight on either side of their foot. That's why Michealangelo's David stands on one foot and slightly lifts the other. He's taken weight off of one so he may apply it when his other leg gets tired, as any good homo-sapien would.

As a result of this, by the way, they tend to counterbalance themselves, typically between the hips and shoulders. You can see in my own drawing I have two thin lines between each of them, and rather than being parallel to one another, they're tilting in opposite directions. Anytime you see a standing picture of someone, draw these lines over them in your head and you'll find that this is often the case.

I've also drawn her so that she's bending forward and not sitting back. This makes for a more interesting pose and gives the impression that she's in a stance that allows her to move more freely if she needs to. Thus, her torso is tilting forward, her collarbones lower, and her head is overlapping her neck, as well as tilting down a little. Finally, and I've mentioned this in my notes, her cranium is missing. google a picture of a skull, and you'll see just how much space is required to encompass the human brain. This is a very common mistake for first timers, in fact the head in general is full of negative spaces that are easy to miss. Details like eyes, the nose, the mouth and hair seem to cover the whole head, but if you can't figure out what space goes in-between, it will end up looking very odd. We look at people's faces more than anything else, so artist and non-artist alike, it's very easy to tell when something doesn't look right.

I won't do a big write-up on this one, the notes cover most things quite well, but I can show you 3 good steps for drawing an appealing pose.

Step 1 - Line of Action.

I'm going to assume you're like most human beings and already have an idea for how your character should look before you've drawn her out. Getting a pose from your mind to the paper can be a very stressful process, and most of us seldom get it right (myself included). But a good way to keep things from getting confusing is to simplify as much as humanly possible, and a single line that attempts to define everything is perfect for that. A line of action makes for a helpful starting point, it lets you figure out which direction the character moves in and what the proportions might be to fit on this line.

Step 2 - Simplified Pose

Fit a mannequin over your line of action, and don't be afraid to erase and redraw as many times as you need before it starts to look right. The other great thing about simplified drawing is that you won't feel bad about trashing it and starting over. This is the kind of thing you should be able to draw in a minute or two (minus the time taken to think about the pose), so it won't be a hassle to re-draw it again. On the other hand, when you leave important details out until you're finalizing your drawing, you may find something you won't be able to fix without destroying a lot of hard work, so it's important to get the essential pose down first.

3 - Important Details

Eye direction, expression, defining details like hair and cloth, you can start filling them in here, but it won't hurt to keep these simple, too. That cape for example, I drew with only 3 lines. It has enough information that you can register it as a cape, but if I need to change it up for the sake of direction or wind or what have you, 3 lines is no big loss.

Incidentally, if you go to any art store, you can find wooden mannequins that are completely poseable, if you have trouble visualizing what the pose should look like. They're very useful for figuring out a lot of shape/proportion issues as well. I highly recommend that you get one, especially if you're using this method of posing. They pretty much look like these simplified drawings.

Spoiler for Red Line 2:
Much improved! Still too skinny, to the point of missing some important masses like shoulders, but you're getting the idea, my revisions are getting specific now.

I measured the whole body in terms of head heights, and this is typically a really helpful way for artists to gauge where a person's anatomy is in relation to everything, especially during life drawing.

A lot of body parts are deceptively lower/higher than most artists can guess, mainly because they don't take less definable regions into account. For example, the distance between the neck and breasts is easy to ignore, but it's a pretty huge space.

Alternatively, there's less space between the breasts and hips than people like to think. Hold your hands to your sides, where you think the ribcage ends and the pelvic bone begins. You'll notice the width of your hand, from knuckle to knuckle, can cover that gap easily.

Your character stands at roughly six head heights. Short, but not unnaturally so. A safe area is 6 1/2 heads, so you've done well in terms of height. You can subdivide them after this height is established, as well:

From head to toe, it's the start of the femur bone (which sticks out further than the hip, further than any bone in the human body, in fact) that marks the halfway point.

From the start to the end of the femur bone (which is also the largest bone in the human body), is a quarter of the total height, and the last quarter ends at the bottom of the heel.

Arms, when held against the body, fingers out, reach the femur bone at about halfway.

Overall not bad, but your characters still needs some bulking. Just go outside your comfort zone and see what you get, don't be afraid to exaggerate, you might be surprised what you end up with!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
Ryan C
Better Than Ryans A and B

Send a message via MSN to Ryan C

It's like the only time I write too much.
fuck yes I love you Ryan.Tombstone
Goddamn it Ryan I fucking love you.Nuva
I'm crying. Ryan you are the best.Inferno
Ryan, stop being so god damn amazing.SliceSabre
Ryan I don't tell you you're awesome enough.The Deej
I've looked up to Ryan for so long that my neck's been in agonizing pain for well over a year.Dacrazybird

^_^
Ryan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
Kaze

And I eat up every word because they are so helpful.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Nuva
yes i vape

If Ryan was a school I'd let him teach me to death
Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #22
Kaze

Done while watching Ryan's stream. Dat inspiration.

Spoiler for 12 June 2012:

Ran out of room on the paper for feet. >:

Edit: One more, Celty Sturluson from Durarara. Just because.

Spoiler for 12 June 2012:

Last edited by Kaze; 06-12-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: another
Kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Balto
8I

Uh oh a witch. You know what that means.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
Kaze

What does that mean? D8

Also going to sleep, coming back and looking at it again, I can see quite a few places I need to adjust. I'll do that tonight after I get home from work.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
Kaze

Spoiler for 17 June 2012:

Ingrid, request by Dia!

This is poop, I'm more than likely going to redraw this, there are a lot of things I'm not happy with, pose included.

I also need to practice more with these new methods I stumbled upon.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
Balto
8I

You are becoming quite formidable. I must practice more! >8v
Old 06-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #27
Nuva
yes i vape

You are definitely improving.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Kaze

v8< Not at all, I have so much work ahead of me to improve like seriously. I think I'm going to devote an entire day to just drawing.

Like, lock myself up in a room with food and do nothing but practice the entire day.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
Nuva
yes i vape

Well,of course, but compared to the first drawing I saw and now, you're getting better. It's not a huuuuuge rise in skill but come on, that would make it not hard. : I

There's one thing I want to point out. Necks. Don't ignore 'em, man. They're important! Makes a picture awkward sometimes if they're off!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
Dia
Modern Skald

:D
You are improving.
The more Practice the better, but there has been improvement since you've started, for sure.