F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles > Sony

Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #31
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuva View Post
Except I don't think monsters can make a game scary. The moment you show a monster, the full monster, that's it, the fear is gone. If we went for the JAWS approach, and kept the monster hidden from the player, maybe it would be scary. Relying on atmosphere is my idea of what a game should rely on to scare a player.
This is exactly why Amnesia is one of the scariest games ever.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #32
Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
like hell it will that goddamn shark in Banjo Kazooie is still terrifying. If they can pull it off well and I get in a situation where those damn things bust down all my shit and nowhere is safe I'll probably be like "oh fuck!"
Or wait fuck.

Make it like DSouls, you can't actually pause, your only safe option is not playing.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #33
Amon
Daunting Pokemon

Send a message via AIM to Amon

What Nuva and Addy said

ALSO OH MAN I WANT THIS SO HARD.
i get that .. doesn't really look like anything new but i love this genre so much that I'd play it anyway.
It's kind of a weird fantasy, I guess?

I guess I am a little bummed because when the girl and her pal were killing that guy in the denim jacket, i thought it was gonna be like, some post-society collapse where it's like a mad max scenario but. nope just zombies.

Last edited by Amon; 12-11-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Amon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Also +10 points in my book for it being deep into the apocalypse

Overgrown cities is awesome.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #35
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Or wait fuck.

Make it like DSouls, you can't actually pause, your only safe option is not playing.
The Last of Us - A unique online experience in which there are no monsters, only players that are salvagers or have turned - operate on one life (if you are killed as an infected, the save file is deleted and you must start over) - against other players. How far will you make it?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #36
Siz
Tibetan Warrior Monk

Quote:
The Last of Us - A unique online experience in which there are no monsters, only players that are salvagers or have turned - operate on one life (if you are killed as an infected, the save file is deleted and you must start over) - against other players. How far will you make it?
If you play on PC it will delete the system files.

shaaaaaaa.......
Siz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #37
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Quote:
I'd seriously love a game like this.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #38
Siz
Tibetan Warrior Monk

there's a game like that.

shaaaaaaa.......
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #39
Nuva
yes i vape

We talking about Witcher 2's one life mode?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #40
Siz
Tibetan Warrior Monk

i think its Amnesia: The Dark Descent.... if you die, the game closes and you have to start all over again, i think.

shaaaaaaa.......
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #41
femonocle
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Yeah that's true, Nuva. Atmosphere is the most important thing, which is why Amnesia and Penumbra work so well most of the time.

It does all fall down if the enemies aren't remotely scary on their own (if you see the models in Penumbra at all it just gets fucking stupid because the dogs look like shitty origami), but if they're brightly lit and parading right in your face, that doesn't work either.

also yeah dead space isn't scary because "HELLO ISAAC HOW ARE YOU I AM A MONSTER LET'S TANGO!" AAAAAAAAAA BREAKING APART LIMBS WITH MY SHOES. ATMOSPHERE? NO. JUMP SCARES!

edit: wow okay so the internet decided it didn't want to show me all the posts since Nuva's so that's pretty fucking late, whoops

double edit: what you guys are talking about reminds me of this game. Pretty much just see how far you get, see how many days you can survive, because you can never win, ever, and stuff gets progressively worse as the outbreak spreads (like the power going off etc). And you can get infected too.

Last edited by femonocle; 12-11-2011 at 02:43 PM.
femonocle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #42
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I thing two things contribute to scares in a videogame, sound, and the strength of the player compared to the most common enemy.

Sound, from music to the grunts and groans of the undead to even the footstep sounds, all contribute a lot to the atmosphere of a game. Good sound design is the difference between a player feeling relatively normal, and the player feeling uneasy and paranoid.

Then there's the strength of the player, as well as the enemy. To make a good survival horror, every enemy should present a threat to the player, every enemy should be a potential killer if the player is careless.

In Resident Evil for example, zombies are the most common creature in any of the three games, no doubt, but they're also fairly durable, and will kill you fairly quickly, as it takes only 3 or 4 close encounters for them to end you.

@Femonocle: I tried Zomboid a few months ago, great concept, terrible execution IMO.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #43
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

And didn't Zomboid have a giant incident a bit ago where they only kept like the game's development on two laptops and both of them got stolen?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #44
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Meh, I don't care about drama like that unless I actually like the game involved, so I completely ignored that whole debacle.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #45
femonocle
╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Yeah, I definitely agree with the sound/strength thing. RE zombies are still definitely not scary to me though.

I also agree with the bad execution thing, somebody Let's Play'd zomboid on youtube and I wasn't a big fan of the gameplay, but the concept is pretty rad.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #46
MikeTheMadman
Guardian 2 Handed Fighter

Send a message via AIM to MikeTheMadman Send a message via MSN to MikeTheMadman

On G4 they were just talking about this game (showing the same footage from the Sony Conference), it should be up later, but evidently, the zombies are based off of that one fungus I can't remember the name of, but always remember seeing videos of. That one fungus that affects ants and other insects and sort of "mind controls" them, and makes them go to a real high place (on top of a blade of grass or something) to die and eventually spread more of the fungi's spore to others.
MikeTheMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #47
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #48
Siz
Tibetan Warrior Monk

really nice gameplay, this game looks better excecuted compared to I'm Alive (which isn't bad by itself, but it feels somewhat empty and stiff).
Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #49
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Game is out in about two weeks. Anyone still interested?

I'm gonna wait for the reviews before I get it, if I get it. I'm interested, but not as much as I was when the game was first being revealed.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #50
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Had no idea this game was out this soon, but I guess it makes sense with next gen consoles coming out in winter. I want it, but dunno when I'll get it.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #51
Jeff

So the demo is out for people who own God of War Acension.

Played the demo seems fun but it was quite possibly the shortest demo I have ever played.

Last edited by Jeff; 06-02-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #52
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Possible multiplayer details leaked

If this is true, my desire for this game has gone from "maybe get it eventually" to "definitely get it on the day it comes out."
Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #53
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Sounds interesting, this really isn't a game I'd get for the multiplayer but at least they're doing something different.

"Uncharted 3-like, Loadouts makes a comback" has me worried though, because that was one aspect that made UC3s multiplayer not at all enjoyable, when you as a new player with a peashooter, were matched with veteran players with instant kill rapid fire sniper machine guns.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #54
Nuva
yes i vape

The worst thing about Uncharted 3 online was the ridiculously huge maps not made to accommodate the gameplay. You could go through a long time not seeing a team mate or enemy and then BAM, cheap death.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #55
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I agree, it's the other aspect I didn't mention.

Pretty much my whole UC3 multiplayer experience was spending 5 minutes looking for someone, usually dying to superior weaponry when I do find someone, rinse and repeat until the match ends.

U2 was so good too, balanced so everyone had a fairly equal chance (no load outs, you just found all the weapons around the map, and perks were mostly minor or situational), and the maps were the perfect size, not too big or small.

Last edited by Penakoto; 06-02-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #56
Nuva
yes i vape

Turn on your spoiler shields folks cause this game's gotten out
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #57
Ace
Pet?

Been playing this at my friend's house, and it's absolutely fantastic. I love how weighty and brutal the combat is, both with guns and melee. Especially melee. Whipping a brick at a guy and smashing his head into a wall feels so brutal and good.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #58
Ace
Pet?

Beat this tonight, it's overall one of the best games I've ever played. Overall I think the story was great, and the way characters are presented and grow is definitely one of the best parts of it.

Spoiler for ENDING:
I will say the ending falls a little flat in my opinion though, it's not bad, but I just feel like it's a little weird, because with the ending essentially nothing happens. Everything was for nothing. Maybe that's kind of the point? There's a lot of interesting themes that go into the ending though, and I do like it for that fact. Just, Joel's character, what he's really fighting for, and general stuff about the nature and future of mankind.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #59
Siz
Tibetan Warrior Monk

Spoiler for Ending theory:
I read this somewhere but it's a bit open to interpretation.

In a general sense, they didn't know if Ellie was really inmune to the infection or if her anti-bodies were just delaying the infection (i remember that in the epilogue, her arm had formed some kind of blisters, possibly meaning that the infection became active again).

And if she really was inmune, and the medical staff managed to procure a vaccine, the world was pretty much corrupted with people trying to survive, "tourists" being hunted by (what i would call) outlaws, and the military pretty much with an opression system that could manage to keep the vaccine to themselves.

The overall situation was of defeat with a very narrow chance of sucess.

shaaaaaaa.......

Last edited by Siz; 06-18-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #60
Ace
Pet?

Spoiler for ENDING SPOILERS:
Yeah, stuff like that is why I think it's interesting. Somebody told me they also recall mention of other attempts at making a cure from other "immune" people, and those failed as well. I don't recall that, but either way, it's an interesting concept.

In a lot of ways, it boils down to a question of Joel's character. Did he save her because he thought and knew those things, or did he save her because she was all he had left, in a very selfish kind of way.