F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
Dacrazybird
shut UP.

Send a message via AIM to Dacrazybird Send a message via MSN to Dacrazybird Send a message via Skype™ to Dacrazybird

As long as you can afford the will and effort you're good to go.

Not that those two are easy to keep ahold of mind you, but they sure do look nice on a simple list like that huh.

It's my wish to be able to reach the same skill level as you'll surely become and work together with you in some studio on some big-time Hollywood projects or something nice like that. It doesn't have to be Hollywood-big but if I can work with someone as awe-inspiring as you... It would certainly be nice is all, y'know? Good luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #32
Dacrazybird
shut UP.

Send a message via AIM to Dacrazybird Send a message via MSN to Dacrazybird Send a message via Skype™ to Dacrazybird

Also I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask this but are you playing Katawa Shoujo? The full game was released a couple of days ago and I've taken Hanako and Rin's paths so far.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
Dacrazybird
shut UP.

I have no shame.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #34
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

It's great to hear you're doing better.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #35
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Thanks everyone.

Also, Crazybird, no I haven't played it.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #36
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

A little update:

I don't need to take diazepam to go to sleep anymore so the doc's taking that out of my prescription list. Says I'll only have to take it if I get too anxious to fall asleep.

Also, there is a very strong chance that I'll be able to pursue that one-year Industrial Design diploma course at Feng Zhu's design school again next year. In the meantime I'll be taking shorter 6-week certificate courses in Dynamic Sketching, Concept Drawing and Digital Painting.

I really, really like designing stuff, which was why I decided to pursue a career in becoming a concept artist instead of making comics/cartoons for a living. Comics are more of a hobby thing for me, while making up new things and putting concepts onto paper (or a digital canvas) is something I really would like to have as a job.

Genre or style doesn't matter; I'd like to be able to draw robots, cowboys, ghosts, goblins, aliens, insects, spaceships, tools, whatever, and put a creative spin on it while also keeping the essence of what it's supposed to be like a good designer should (A car should always obviously be a car with wheels and lights but they don't all look the same, for example).

Also got in touch with a local animation studio. Will send them a portfolio this August after I'm done with the certificate courses.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
Balto
8I

Nice to hear you are off diazepam and getting some decent sleep again.

And yes concept art is definitely the way to go. You can pretty much get a career with practically anyone, I'm assuming of course, and it's fun to let your mind's juices flow.

And what sort of stuff has this animation studio worked on in the past? Anything of intrigue? I also apparently start alot of sentences with and.
Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #38
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

They're still a new studio so they haven't released anything yet, though they are working on a couple of projects.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #39
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Sounds like things are going well. Are you looking ahead or taking things one day at a time?
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #40
Dacrazybird
shut UP.

Concept artist, huh... It's quite fitting, actually. I am always fascinated by whatever comes out of your mind and it'll be such a treat to see you designing for a living.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #41
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frent View Post
Sounds like things are going well. Are you looking ahead or taking things one day at a time?
Looking ahead. I've got plans, short-term and long-term.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #42
Frent
Elder Statesman

That's good to hear. I hope things work out the way they want to. You're strong, and I'm confident that you can handle anything that comes your way. But you've always got support here.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #43
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Thanks, friend.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #44
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

For the first time in a really long while, I've been doing some thinking about where I was going with my life. I'm not sure if it's because of the medication or what, but I have been remembering my old motivations, my old goals as an artist and what I wanted to have for a job.

In the beginning, I wanted to be a comic strip cartoonist. Then I wanted to be a 'manga-ka' of some kind, making long and epic comics. Sometime after high school I ended up working at an architectural firm, and felt that I wanted to be an animator instead.

However, now I've realized that I don't want to animate or make comics and turn that into a job. I want to tell stories, but at my own pace. I like to tweak my stories as I go along, which is why all of my comics are seldom updated. I don't want to be forced into a schedule when it comes to these things, though I do enjoy doing them. I just prefer to keep comic-making and animating a hobby.

After years of drawing, I'm finally sure about what I want to do.

I want to be a concept designer/concept artist. That was why I enrolled for Feng Zhu's diploma program in the first place, but I wasn't sure back then. This is the first time I can say with absolute certainty that yes, this is what I want for a job.

Watch these four videos to get a glimpse of how an industrial designer thinks and works:

I'm a slow learner by nature, and it's going to take years for me to learn and practice, to do what it takes to be a true professional, but you know what? I really don't care how long it takes. If I can get a job designing whole new worlds, creating vehicles, characters, costumes, props, etc. and be well-paid for it I'd be happy.

I can finally tell myself "I've done it" when the day I become a professional concept artist comes. It could be 10 years, 20, 30 years from now, but all that matters right now is that I learn and practice as much as I can.

My life has direction now, and it feels great.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #45
KeroroCanti
Hot Dog Patrol

Send a message via MSN to KeroroCanti Send a message via Skype™ to KeroroCanti

It's great to see you so happy and determined!
KeroroCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #46
Frent
Elder Statesman

Awesome.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #47
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Bad news: I've been getting these weird headaches lately. It's a strong dull ache on my forehead and it's always accompanied by looping thoughts.

A part of me screams "OH SHIT IT'S CANCER" and the other part is yelling back "Stop jumping to conclusions holy shit".

I'm going to meet my psychiatrist as soon as I can. Maybe there's something really wrong with my brain.

Just my luck I'm overseas right now.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #48
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I just took some diazepam and the looping thoughts, headaches have stopped. Am I suffering from withdrawal?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #49
Oliver

Depends, how much and how often were you prescribed to take it?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #50
Dacrazybird
shut UP.

Ohhh nooo

This is concerning.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #51
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Depends, how much and how often were you prescribed to take it?
5 mg at first for a month, and then 2.5 mg for a couple of months before stopping completely.

Then the doc said I could take it if I have trouble sleeping.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #52
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

I have a job now (2D Animator), and I love it.

Unfortunately I cannot show anything from work because our projects are top-secret. We don't want other companies to know what we're doing.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #53
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

From now on, I'm dedicating at least 8 hours of my life every day to drawing and painting. I have a digital stopwatch on my computer as well as my phone to help me keep track.

Of course, if some big emergency happens I will make an exception.

In other news, we got a pre-paid electrical bill system in place. What that means is that we have to pay X amount of money to get a voucher with numbers on it, and then punch in those numbers on this little digital pad they installed on our house so we can get 24 days or so worth of electricity. I personally prefer the old way (pay when you get the bill) but it seems so many people didn't pay their electricity bills they're just putting these pre-paid systems on every house.

Also digging out some books from my room, there are some gems that I somehow forgot about, like the book with an illustrated list of the Soviet arsenal.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #54
Frent
Elder Statesman

Wow, eight hours? That's great, but I'd wonder how you'd get anything else done.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #55
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frent View Post
Wow, eight hours? That's great, but I'd wonder how you'd get anything else done.
I spend eight hours at work every day, and my job involves a lot of drawing. If I just draw instead of goofing around on the internet, I can get it done.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #56
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

So mom challenged me to lose weight within the next six months. For every kilogram I lose I get 100 dollars. Currently I weigh 101 kilograms/222.667 pounds.

I am going to be a richer and thinner man.

First things to get rid of: No more in-between-meals snacking. Lots of water. No more sodas. Eat less rice and potatoes.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #57
Frent
Elder Statesman

Holy crap. Wish I had that kind of incentive. Three years ago, I'd have earned $2,000.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #58
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Aye, I'd have earned $8,400.

"I was fat" is what I'm saying.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #59
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

During my spare time (when I'm not drawing), I either read books, play video games or... make board games.

Right now I'm working on a couple of board games, still writing out the rules. I'll make a post in the Hobby Shop section to get feedback on the rules. One board game, Wasteland Wars, is a turn-based strategy game that involves different units with different abilities and range of attacks. For example, a Mortar unit can attack anywhere on the map but you need to roll exactly 20 on a d20 die to hit. A Dog unit can move 3 squares per turn but can only attack a unit that is in a square next to it. You'll need d10 and d20 dice to play.

The other game is called 'Metro Mayors', which is about building cities. The game is played with cards, miniature houses, currency coins, red tokens and miniature factories, as well as some d10 dice. The goal of the game is to get a city with 10 houses, which represents your population size. Every turn you have to take an 'Event Card' that has effects on your city, like raising crime or adding a new factory which represents a source of income. Crime is represented by red tokens and factories are represented by miniature factories. At the start of every turn, you roll a d10 die and if the number is higher than or equal to the number of crime tokens you have, you get the entire income from your factories (1 factory = 1 coin). However, if you don't roll a number equal to or higher than the amount of crime, you only get 1 coin, which impedes your ability to buy 'Action Cards' or 'Building Cards', which give bonuses.

Example of a Building Card: 'Surveillance Network', which makes your maximum crime 4 instead of 8, worth 20 coins. An Action Card allows you to take a special one-time action, like drawing five Event cards and only having to take the effect of one card. Some Action Cards or Building Cards can only be bought when certain conditions are met, like having at least 5 houses or something like that.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how much should a house, the primary goal item, cost. 20 coins? 10 coins? Also how much should a factory cost? It is the primary means of getting coin, but I'm trying to think of how to balance it all out.

The Game Crafter, a website that allows people to make their own board game or card game, has been very helpful in providing the parts I will need to make these games. It will probably be a couple of years before I'm ready to actually sell them through the website, as I am only doing these in what little spare time I have.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #60
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

So the studio I'm working for is involved in a few projects, with one big project. Apparently after I'm done animating for this thing that's got to be done by Wednesday morning I'm going to be re-assigned to do concept art for the big project, which was what I wanted to do in the first place so yay I guess.

Also changing my sleep schedule. Won't be sleeping at 10 pm anymore, now will sleep at 12 midnight.