F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Mallorie
Songstress

Default Mallorie's Journal Thingy

So today I start my speech class up at the local community college.

I'm kind of nervous because I...hate writing/reciting speeches. I had to do one entirely in Spanish this summer and it was the most nerve-wracking thing ever. This (and algebra...I have not had a solid math class since the 8th grade) is the class I've been most stressing about.

I've had this professor before, and he's pretty cool but I just hate the whole idea of speech class. Especially since I think it's a hybrid class and we'll only meet to deliver the speeches. I won't really get to know any of the people in my class.

Luckily one of my friends is in the class...just found that out today. That'll make it a little easier, I think.
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

One thing that might help: Everyone else is probably as nervous as you are.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Kaze
QUICKSCOPENOSCOPE360WREKT

Yeah, the anticipation is horrible for speeches but just remember that its a class, mistakes are okay, everyone is going to make them and everyone is just as nervous as you are, as Frent said.

I actually had to make an introduction speech to my co-workers yesterday that was entirely in Japanese, myself. Talk about nerve-wracking, 20 people I've never met before... but it taught me the more you practice the better off you'll be when the time comes. <:
Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Mallorie
Songstress

I think you guys are probably right...there were a few people who really looked freaked out.

I feel a bit better after actually being in the class and listening to the guy tell us about how he used to be deathly afraid of speaking though, and then after he did it many times he came to love it. Hence teaching, I guess.

I don't mind as much doing speeches for people I know, just strangers...and especially since I'm still in high school and most of the class are adults. I feel like I'm not going to be able to come up with speeches that are as intelligent or whatever, and that I'm going to sound really stupid to them. And that intimidates me. :I

And Kaze, that sounds insane! I can't imagine doing that! Hats off to you!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
Radman
King of the Radical Land

You shouldn't be intimidated though, Mallorie. Oftentimes, people are gonna be less knowledgable / more apathetic about the subject matter than you'll be, so as long as you say it with confidence you should be fine.

And if you ever need help doing another speech in Spanish, just call me. 'S my mother tongue, after all.
Reality has a notorious liberal bias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Scope View Post
I agree with Ves. Fuck 'em.

Then fuck her. Fuck everybody.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Frent
Elder Statesman

Learning became much easier for me when I realized that everyone's there and roughly at the same level. Sure, there are folks who take less/more time to learn than the average person, but on the whole people are all equally clueless. That's what we're there for. Take the initiative to ask questions, speak up and say what's on your mind and enjoy how liberating it can be.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
inthesto
Pinkie Pie

Send a message via AIM to inthesto Send a message via MSN to inthesto

The trick to public speaking classes is to assume nobody's listening (because they aren't)
inthesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Mallorie
Songstress

Thanks, Stephen! I definitely will.

And Frent, you're right, and I honestly didn't think about that. We're all in this beginning speech class because we're beginners.

I have to say this is all very encouraging; hopefully I can go in there and learn how to be a little more confident.

Edit: Good point, Sto.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Mallorie
Songstress

Today we elected class officers, and I was voted senior class president.

I'm looking forward to planning our class's events.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Frent
Elder Statesman

Grats!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Mallorie
Songstress

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Mallorie
Songstress

The other day I was going downstairs at church, and I missed the second step. I ended up tumbling all the way downstairs.

No one saw, so that was cool.

Nothing much happened today, but that's what I liked about it. Basketball season is about to start up, and since my school doesn't have football, it's a big deal. So, all my cheerleading activities are about to be in full swing but the squad is in major debt because three cheerleaders ordered their uniforms and then moved away over the summer.

You can't return cheerleading uniforms since they size you for it and everything, and since the girls don't go to school here we can't force them to pay. So the squad picks up the tab and we're out by like, a thousand dollars. It sucks a lot.

We have a new coach this year and she is much different than our last one. She tends to handle all the financial stuff and delegate the teaching and stuff to me. I feel like my say as captain actually means something this year, whereas in the past captains didn't really get to do much. I was brought in to lead the junior high cheer camp, and I teach some of their practices. It's really fun, and I've discovered it's something I'm good at.

Also I really need to start applying to colleges, but I have no idea where I want to go. I can't say I don't "care", because I for sure don't want to stay at the community college for another year; I want to go off to a university. I just don't know where to start, I guess. I don't know what I want to do, and I'm nervous about making a jump from such a small school to a big campus. I get these college brochures in the mail but none of them have really seized me.

But now's kinda the time to start making these decisions.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Kaze

No worries Mallorie, you'll be fine, both on the enhanced cheerleading responsibilities and the college/major decisions. In all honesty a lot of people don't know what they want to do for a while. In the time leading up to graduation I would overhear a lot of kids who were graduating with me still unsure of what they wanted to do in life. Thats the kind of thing you just discover for yourself.

As for college searching this site is one that helped me greatly. Hopefully you can find it useful yourself. They have you fill out a survey about yourself when you make an account and recommend schools, scholarships, and even internships based on your personal preferences. Don't sweat it though, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #14
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

Oh man, college searching. If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one who has no idea where to start. That was my main issue a few years back. It's a pretty common thing as far as I can tell.

I don't know if it will have specifically what you're looking for, but I ended up going to a school listed in the book 40 Colleges that Change Lives. It might help, who knows?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Mallorie
Songstress

Thank you for the link, Kaze. This looks really helpful!

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for that book. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that was overwhelmed by this...
Old 09-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Frent
Elder Statesman

I'll second what Kaze said on not really knowing what you want to do, even during or after college. When I entered into college, I had no goals. I knew I wanted to graduate, but that was it. Once I graduated, I decided I wanted to be a newspaper reporter -- which, incidentally, requires no college degree. After a while I gave up on that and went back. My new goal is to be an editor. That's a spiel about me, but the point is that you're bound to change your thinking at least once or twice.

Every college has something to offer. Sounds goofy, but it's true. Try to prioritize what you would like in a college. For example, check the average price of tuition and see what financial aid is available. See if they have sports or cheerleading programs that interest you. And, if there's a particular academic focus you have, see what colleges have a focus (or even an entire school) dedicated to it. You also have to consider how far your college will be from home and whether you can tolerate it. In-state tuition is a factor, too; you often pay tons more outside your home state than in it. Ask your family and friends for advice if you're not sure what you should be looking for.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
Radman
King of the Radical Land

Glad to see stuff's picking for you in community college, Mallorie. Sucks about the uniform thingy.

As for university, just choose one you want to go there (make sure about it) and don't worry about it the jump. I'm pretty much in one of the biggest campus here in Canuckistan, and I couldn't be happier.

Also, check out what Frent said about financial aid. Ignore not the wisdom of his beard.
Reality has a notorious liberal bias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Scope View Post
I agree with Ves. Fuck 'em.

Then fuck her. Fuck everybody.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
inthesto
Pinkie Pie

Send a message via AIM to inthesto Send a message via MSN to inthesto

Or just be like me and pick your college based on who had the most colorful brochures.
inthesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
Frent
Elder Statesman

You went to clown college?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #20
Mallorie
Songstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Col-Med View Post
Also, check out what Frent said about financial aid. Ignore not the wisdom of his beard.
I'm definitely doing that. I've been trying to poke around and see what kinds of scholarships I'm eligible for, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesto View Post
Or just be like me and pick your college based on who had the most colorful brochures.
One of the colleges sent me this little book thing and every section was a different color of the rainbow. And another compared its departments to each of the classical elements.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I'm going back down to school now myself. Have sat on my ass for way too long. You looked into the kind of benefits and such that are open to you here in Texas?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Mallorie
Songstress

I've been trying. My problem is that I haven't really known where to look. I've tried to talk to my counselor for a little direction, but she hasn't been any help.

I've been filling out a profile on the website Kaze sent me, and already there's quite a few scholarships that I am eligible for. All I have to do is write a couple of essays.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 AM   #23
Mallorie
Songstress

Yesterday and today (and I guess all week, really) I work at the elementary school's book fair. Our National Honor Society is finally actually doing things this year.

It's pretty fun; the kids recognize me from cheerleading and they talk to me, and they're just so sweet. The little kindergarten girls hug me on sight.

Unrelated: Apparently I speak more Spanish than anyone else in high school, and am now teaching it. Our Spanish teacher is the art teacher, and doesn't speak Spanish because the classes were all online this year. I guess they thought all she'd have to do was sit in and hold down the fort while everyone did their own little thing.

But the directions are in Spanish. So the kids don't know what it says, and neither do the adults, so now I go to the Spanish classes and translate all the directions/help with any questions.

My counselor is acting like I'm some kind of hero now.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #24
Kaze

Mallorie, you should charge them for your services.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #25
Frent
Elder Statesman

You are some kind of hero. And yes, talk to the school and see about getting compensated.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
Kaze

Compensated in steak.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 AM   #27
Adamjirra
May I cut in?

Send a message via AIM to Adamjirra Send a message via MSN to Adamjirra

Delicious steak

Well, ah... the planet sort of cracked, but you can't make an omelette without... destabilizing the Earth's core and plunging the world into eternal darkness. - Keiseth
Adamjirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
Mallorie
Songstress

I highly doubt they are going to pay me, in steak or otherwise (though that does sound delicious ). Our school doesn't have a tutoring program or anything that pays students to help other students. Besides, they make comments that seem like they're expecting me to just do it, out of the goodness of my heart.

Which I guess I would, because I don't want my friends to fail Spanish 'cause the school wasn't smart enough to hire someone who spoke the language.

But, it is on my own time, after I'm already finished with school for the day. So I'm going to see if I can at least get some sort of credit out of it, maybe. That would be good.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #29
Frent
Elder Statesman

Considering you're taking time out of your day to do something most students would not be expected to do, I think you might be able to finagle some credit out of it, yeah.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #30
Mallorie
Songstress

My dad needs some kind of help. Alcoholism + arrogance + controlling personality = fun for the whole family.

I can smell the liquor on him and see the evidence in his behavior. He just belittled the home-cooked meal my mom made (not to mention her job), used extremely foul language when my brother asked him to please turn the light on so he could see to feed the dog, and forbade the family from watching television together in my parent's room because my mom wouldn't rub his feet and he "didn't feel like listening to it".

He also confiscated the only charge cord for the computers in the house, despite the fact that I was studying Spanish and writing a literary analysis with 20% battery left. So he could use facebook.