F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles > Nintendo

Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Default 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Quote:
You're a college student who finds himself trapped on a sinking ferry with eight other passengers, forced to play a twisted game where losing means a watery grave. This is Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for the Nintendo DS.

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is an adventure game for the Nintendo DS, though some would call it a visual horror novel. It's sort of like Hotel Dusk or Time Hollow, telling a story while keeping things interactive enough to still call it a game.

In this case, the story is about Junpei, a college student challenged to the 'Nonary Game' by a mysterious figure wearing a gas mask. He'll have to open the nine doors in nine hours to save nine people, himself included. Along the way he'll face more than 32 puzzles, ranging from numerology to music composition to logic puzzles.

"We've decided to call 999 an 'Adventure' game," say Ben Bateman, Localization Editor, Aksys Games, "but I don't really feel that's entirely accurate. 999 is a game that simulates life, or at least it would if your life was about being trapped on a sinking ship and forced to complete a series of incomprehensible puzzles before your practically inevitable death. It is about relationships, and how they will ultimately kill you. There is also some blood, and an ax, so if you've always wanted some blood and an ax in your life, there you go. But what really brings 999 to life are the people who inhabit it. You will learn to care for them; to feel as though you are there and they are your friends, and then they will die because you made the wrong choices. Just like in real life."

Aksys games is bringing Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors to North America later this year.

If you've yet to try an adventure-type game on the DS, I'd highly recommend it. It's the perfect sort of game for long hours on the train, plane, or toilet. Just watch out for bottom numbness.
http://kotaku.com/5584892/nine-hours...ons-nine-doors
Old 07-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Monocle
Execute unbeatable force

Send a message via Yahoo to Monocle Send a message via Skype™ to Monocle

I'll probably be playing this. I like me some adventure games.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Bateman's description is great.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #4
TheResult
TheReturner

Send a message via Skype™ to TheResult

I wonder if you're actually limited to 9 hours of gameplay before you lose.. Or if they just threw that in there so they'd have that third 9.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

I look forward to playing this. I need some mystery game in my life
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Dogma Send a message via MSN to Mr. Dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheResult View Post
I wonder if you're actually limited to 9 hours of gameplay before you lose.. Or if they just threw that in there so they'd have that third 9.
It's not like there aren't any games that have a time limit, so I'd actually say there is a 9 hour time limit. Games with time limits that come to mind are Dead Rising and Majora's Mask.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
TheResult
TheReturner

Send a message via Skype™ to TheResult

I'd throw Pikmin in there.

I just know games that have "time limits" detailed in their stories, like you have seven days or one week to solve a crime or escape a castle, but that's just the number of chapters you're actually playing.

If it actually limits you to 9 hours though, I don't know if that's good or bad. I'll wait on the game and see.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Deo_Basha

Even if it is just 9 hours of gameplay doesn't mean you'll get it right on the first fly. And time length doesn't stop a game from being awesome. Look at Portal. You can beat that game in like 4 hours. Or even Metroid, which encouraged you to beat the game in less than 3 hours.
Deo_Basha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Taills
Double "L" Intended

Send a message via MSN to Taills

Winner of the game gets a set of floaties.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Raddington
King of rocksters

Send a message via AIM to Raddington Send a message via MSN to Raddington Send a message via Yahoo to Raddington Send a message via Skype™ to Raddington

Looks cool. I guess. I like adventure games a lot on the ds, so I will probably eat this up.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Agent4187
Drillin' e'rrebody

Send a message via MSN to Agent4187

Bumping this because it's out. I'll be getting this later today, I've been hearing some good things about it. There's a flash demo on the site if anyone is interested.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Agent4187
Drillin' e'rrebody

Send a message via MSN to Agent4187

Yeah, just bumping this to say that this game is kind of awesome and you should be playing it. Seriously some of the best writing I've seen in a game in a long time.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
Tasku
Barack Arcana

I just got through the second set of doors and I have to say this game has one of the most immersive atmospheres I've ever experienced in a game. The pacing of everything and the puzzles are also incredibly well done.

If this story stays as solid as it has been this game will be the top contender for my game of the year.

kill me
Tasku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #14
That Frood

I wish it wasn't just on the ds.
That Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #15
Taills
Double "L" Intended

Send a message via MSN to Taills

I shall be lookin' into this.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #16
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

mega-bump

Got this for Christmas. This game has all the words. Jesus, the first time I went through the opening sequence introducing the cast, think it lasted me around an hour of just reading that shit.

Anyway, been all I've been playing since going up to my grandparents after Christmas. Already got the bad end, so working to getting the others now.

EDIT: Okay, I've gotten these endings so far:

Spoiler for Endings:
First I got was Bad End - Knife: Found Lotus dead, got stabbed in the back, etc. Went through doors 4, 7, and 6.

Then I got "The end - or is it?" end, with the Submarine thumbnail. Not sure about this one, I'm guessing Zero was the killer in this one, where he wasn't dead in the Captain's Quarters/ he was part of the game as well and killing everyone was his challenge, taking Lotus's and Ace's watch (or Ace was faking being dead). In the 2 different plays, tried both doors 4 and 5, then went through 3 and got forced into 2.

Last I got was Bad End - Axe. Clover went batshit, killed me. I suspect Ace went to kill Lotus, both in this one and he did it in the Knife Bad End (also killing me). I expect he managed to get Nine's watch and knife, tested to see if the watch could be used on the RED by tricking Snake and letting him explode. Then he just needed to get Lotus's watch. To finish, I went through doors 4, 8, and 1.

Anyway, gonna try to go through 4, 8, and 1 again and get the bookmark from Santa (didn't this in curiousity of what would happen if I didn't), see if I'll get a chance to give it to Clover during eight and gain her friendship to get some twisted ending where I go with her after she killed June, Santa, and Seven, where's she fallen for me. Also going to try 4, 8, and 6, since their digital route is Nine, so yeah.

Last edited by Tombstone; 12-28-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
Amon
Daunting Pokemon

Send a message via AIM to Amon

alright so I'd never heard of this before but i got to the mall early for work yesterday so i went to gamestop and saw it.
and promptly bought it.
and promptly left it in the backroom of american eagle after we closed up.

so i haven't played it yet! but i'm so excited.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #18
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Necro bump because I just found out they're making a sequel for the 3DS and Vita. I can't remember if annotations show up on forum embedded youtube videos, but they sub the Japanese.

Really, really hope it comes out over here.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Hlavco
Your imaginary friend

Send a message via AIM to Hlavco Send a message via MSN to Hlavco Send a message via Skype™ to Hlavco

Herman Cain loves this game.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

So, Virtues Last Reward is due out in about a month now. Probably the game I'm looking most forward to this year. Been meaning to go through 999 again to get ready for it.

Also, Nintendo Power is going to be doing a seven page spread about it in their next issue.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

AAAAH

Virtue's Last Reward came out and it is fantastic. Got about 15 hours on it so far and I've only managed to get two actual endings. A few Game Overs and two "To Be Continued"s, though I resolved one of the TBC and got one of the endings. I'm loving the hell out of it. Really like the alternate timeline selection system they got in place since it makes it way easier to get to other paths instead of having to fast-forward through everything like in 999.

They've made numerous good improvements, and I grew to like the 3D models pretty fast, since before the game I was missing the 2D ones, but that dissipated soon after. Also, love the hell out of the voice acting, especially Zero III. That rabbit AI is fuckin hilarious.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I've got a question, is Virtues Last Reward a self contained or direct sequel? How necessary is playing 999 Doors first to get the most out of VLR?

Was looking around at 3DS games awhile ago before getting the system, and VLR seems interesting, but I found out recently it's a sequel, and Gamefaqs seems split on whether or not people need to play 999 Doors first to fully appreciate VLR.

Not against getting 999 Doors, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Last edited by Penakoto; 07-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
Tasku
Barack Arcana

It's not necessarily direct but you'll be missing out on a lot plot wise and won't get the full impact of a lot of the later portion of the game if you haven't played 999 first.

Also, you should play 999 first anyway because in general everything is better in 999 aside from one mechanic that they streamlined to make something a lot less tedious in VLR. Not that VLR is bad by any means its just that 999 is in a league of its own.

kill me

Last edited by Tasku; 07-02-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #24
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

The description that the game gives itself is "spiritual successor". I have never played 999, I just started playing this, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. So, to someone who doesn't have the bias of having played the other game, this one feels pretty self contained.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #25
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

There's some stuff that requires knowledge of 999 and doesn't have the same impact if you never played it. You should really play 999, because once you hit that stuff, you're going to really confused and wonder "why does this matter?", "what is all of this about?", etc. They make it seem like 999 isn't required at first, but once it happens, it happens.

Last edited by Tombstone; 07-03-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #26
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Requires knowledge or just doesn't have the same impact? 'Cause those are two different things.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #27
Tasku
Barack Arcana

Spiritual successor is a bit misleading, there are a lot of connections between the two outside of just Clover and Alice being in both. Both take place within the same continuity with things from the first game being brought up a lot during the final sections of VLR.

The ending of VLR is pretty convoluted as it is, playing through 999 first will help add a lot of context and it also spoils almost the entirety of 999 which has the much stronger story so you're really missing out on that if you play VLR first.

Also VLR sets it up as a trilogy which the writer already confirmed the last one to have stronger connections to 999 tying it all together.

kill me
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
woopyfrood
Dire Spouter

Spoiler for Nine Hours? Nine Persons? Nine Doors?:
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I guess I'll playthrough 999 Doors first. I don't wanna miss out on anything. I realized that I could emulate 999 Doors , then buy VLR, since 999 Doors is on the DS.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #30
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Ok, done with 999, was pretty great. I'll be picking up ZE tomorrow, and tonight I'll be looking up 999 on TV tropes to just so I understand every possible thing.