F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Tech Garage

Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

Default So I'm looking to switch out my desktop for a laptop...

And I was wondering what you folks think. I'm looking to sell ALL my computer stuff and get a lappy so that I can change my lifestyle to one of more traveling and whatnot, instead of sitting around the house. Thus, I'd like a decent laptop gaming machine (Warcraft III, maybe TF2, etc) which is also suited for typing papers and doing research.

Anyway, according to Speccy, because I don't know all the details about my computer (also part of the reason I come to you with this thread), I'm running Windows XP Professional with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 prcoessor @2.13 GHZ and Conroe 65nm Technology, whatever the heck that is.

My ram is 1 GB @ only 333 mhz (ack!), with Geforce 8500 GT graphics.

The hard drive is only a 40 gig Seagate drive, but I use a 1tb Seagate drive to store all my files.

I have an Acer H243H monitor which is probably one of the fancier parts of the whole rig, at 24 inch widescreen, 1080p, 3 or 5 ms response time, and I believe a 40,000:1 ratio. PS3 games look awesome on it.

I have a decent optical drive, and I use realtek high def audio for my audio drivers. I use external speakers made by Altec Lansing, and they're good, but not great. They're wired but when placed correctly, can create the illusion of surround sound.

I guess my first question would be, how much do you think I can reasonably charge for all of this? I was thinking maybe 500 bucks, given the speakers, monitor, terabyte drive, and rig itself.

My second question is, what's the best laptop I should get? I'm currently really interested in the Asus 30ulvt, as it's gotten glowing reviews and looks to be about everything I need in a system.
Spoiler for Too dumb to change link name to something smaller:

So does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for them.

tl;dr: I have a decent computer with great monitor, terabyte drive, and good speakers that I'm looking to sell for a student/gaming laptop. How much can I get for my rig and what laptops do you guys and gals suggest?
Fatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Loki

Send a message via AIM to Loki Send a message via MSN to Loki Send a message via Yahoo to Loki

Well, your computer is crap. Most of us had systems like that in 2003. Selling the HD and Monitor alone would probably get you more money than selling it as a package deal.

The laptop you linked is super shit. Horrible integrated graphics and a diminutive processor.

This would be more towards what you want to get.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Fuck that. Spend a little more and get this.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Oh, and yeah, maybe you'll be able to con someone into giving you $150 at a garage sale at most for your tower? That might even be pushing it. It is old and outdated and, like Loki said, you'd get more selling the extra parts separately.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Loki

Send a message via AIM to Loki Send a message via MSN to Loki Send a message via Yahoo to Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
Fuck that. Spend a little more and get this.
If you do, for god's sake do not put it on your lap. You will boil your testicles.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

It actually doesn't get that hot. I'm typing this on one right now.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:23 AM   #7
Loki

Well aren't you fucking lucky? I have scars on my leg from mine. :<
Old 06-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

An M11x, or just an Alienware "laptop" in general? 'Cause I'm speaking just of the M11x.

Of course, you're an idiot if you put any of the others in your lap for an entirely different reason.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Fatbot
Bob Goulet

First of all, thank you both for your advice.

About the heat issue, that's part of the reason I like the Asus. Apparently it's incredible at heat management. And about the graphics, it has an Nvidia 210M as well as the embedded graphics, with a switch to change from one or the other to conserve battery power. According to a couple reviews, some guys said the 210M could run Modern Warfare 2 at native resolutions and still pull down over 50 fps. I wouldn't be playing software that advanced, but I dunno if they're lying or not anyway.

Loki, I definitely like that laptop you linked me to. The only thing I worry about is build quality, I've heard HP can be pretty terrible. And it only comes with a 1 year warranty, whereas Asus includes a 3 year with the price. I'll look more into HP though, that system was ridiculous for only 600 bucks.

And Nami, I'll check out Alienware as well. I've always heard that they're just a gimmicky company that charges you extra for silly lights and logos, but if you're using one, then they're worth a shot. I think the Asus has more RAM too, but that's usually not a big deal as it's upgradeable.

OH another question: does anyone know any good stores for laptops as far as variety? All I can think of are best buy and my local computer stores, but I dunno if anywhere else is better. I'd like to go to a store and check out all these laptops in person before I legitimately consider buying them.

Thanks again, and I'll keep checking back for more info.

Last edited by Fatbot; 06-09-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Fatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Loki

Nami - Not alienware, just a laptop in general.

Fatbot - HP actually has wonderful quality. The only thing that tends to go wrong is with the fans, and one under-warranty shop trip will cure that.

Officemax and Best Buy are your best bet for local stores.