F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Artistic Endeavors > In the Media

Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #3361
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Isn't it, though?

I was offering Slice a paid membership card for his birthday last year, but he was all, NAH, DAWG, I LIKES TA DOWNLOAD. And I was all, BUT THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER, SON.

I rarely download anymore, unless it's something I just have to see and it's not on CR, Hulu or YouTube. And then, if BakaBT doesn't have it, I'm like, welp! Fuck it. Not worth it.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #3362
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Nowadays, the only anime stuff I'll torrent has been movies because those aren't simulcasted of course. That and old ass shit I'm not gonna be able to find otherwise, like Hajime no Ippo because I keep hearing about cool this ridiculous boxing anime is. Fortunately, Crunchyroll has been adding some old stuff to their catalog, which is great. I've had Cardcaptor Sakura in my queue for a while, though I still haven't gotten to rewatching it. And I know Funimation has all of Dragon Ball up, so if I do try them out, I'll probably end up watching some just for nostalgia.

It's just way more convenient and the only stuff I regularly torrent from Japan now is Toku, but if CR or somebody else started simulcasting that (though I doubt anyone ever will), I'd hop on that shit right away.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #3363
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

Send a message via MSN to SliceSabre Send a message via Skype™ to SliceSabre

I've considered subbing to CR and Funi and even did sub to CR for a short time but ehhh.

Junketsu no Maria 01 Maria the Virgin Witch

Oh my

This certainly didn't turn out to be the lewd, ecchi-fest I was expecting it to turn out to be. Honestly I was gonna skip it. But I decided to at least give it a chance first and what do ya know, I enjoyed it. Yea sure there's the playing around with Maria being a virgin and her ignorance around the matter of sexual relations and Martha her succubus familiar making sexual jokes, but you kinda expect that out of her so none of it ever felt out of place. Production values were certainly top notch though and the fight that took place between the two sides for the 100 Years War was very nicely done.

All and all great first episode. Will continue with this!

Yoru no Yatterman 01

Well that was a more depressing beginning than I was expecting out of the show. But I suppose it is there to give our characters a drive to actually change their lives now. I look forward to more.

Last edited by SliceSabre; 01-11-2015 at 10:03 AM.
SliceSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #3364
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
Plot Summary: After death, humans go to either heaven or hell. But for some, at the instant of their death, they arrive at the Quindecim, a bar attended by the mysterious white-haired Decim. He challenges them to the Death Game, wherein they wager their lives and reveal their true natures. Decim himself is the ultimate arbitrator of who wins and who loses, who lives and who dies.

Last edited by Nuva; 01-11-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #3365
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

^It had a great first episode!

Preview song from Koufuku Graffiti

http://a.pomf.se/voexqk.webm
Old 01-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #3366
Mega
No-Fo You.

I'm enjoying Attack on Titan a lot more this time around dubbed oddly.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #3367
Dayden
Nothing is sacred...

Wellllllllp, finished Toradora. Good show.

Started Durarara!!, not realizing that it was the same team that made Baccano!, and I am stoked. Latest Log Horizon was pretty awesome. Loving these new developments. Latest Parasyte was pretty crazy, too.

... Not that it ever was.
Dayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #3368
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

"To thank you for being a good customer, included is a *really cool thing*"
*Smile*
*realize the card is empty*
*notice the imprint of the item on the card*
Way to ruin my day, mail thieves.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #3369
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

Maria the Virgin Witch 02

Spoiler for spoils:
I wasn't expecting the Archangel Michael to be so...rigid and judicial? I mean that in a good way actually. I was expecting Michael to have much more of a huffy personality yet thinking of what the angel said to Maria, what Michael's purpose is and how the Heavens views what she's doing it kinda makes sense why Michael is that way. The way its posed I can see both sides of the issue: Maria hates wars and violence and will do everything in her power to prevent it. Yet on a other side the angel brings up some good points. God isn't going to save/aid everyone that calls for his assistance that just doesn't make sense in a way. I'm personally totally fine with everything that happened in the first half of the episode just to note.

Yatterman 02

You know despite how spirited this trio is there's something distinctly tragic and depressing abut this show so far. Not that I'm not enjoying it mind you.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #3370
Mega
No-Fo You.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #3371
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

The first half of Sailor Moon Crystal has finished. I thought there would be another season later on but it looks like they're jumping right into the Black Moon arc without a break.

The anime stayed very consistent with the manga throughout. Any changes (Four Generals aside) were so minor that they're barely even worth mentioning. I really like what they did with the Four Generals - what was originally just implied in the manga and official artwork was made a bit more obvious in the anime, and those guys are cool, so it was nice to see them get some quality screen time (the old anime gave them plenty of screen time, but if I recall, it completely neglected key plot points re: Endymion). Hope they do the same with other villains. I'd like to see their take on the Dead Moon Circus arc, since the anime and manga were almost completely different last time.

There were some points where I felt they blew most of their budget on certain scenes and then the rest of the episode suffered because of that. Metalia's somewhat-hammy voice also ruined a few scenes. It looks like Moon doesn't get a new transformation sequence every time she changes brooches, which is probably better for the budget, but a little disappointing.

Overall the new anime is a lot more serious and (in my humble opinion) more powerful and emotional than the old one. I also appreciate the departure from the Monster-of-the-Day formula. And now I want to see a Tokyo Mew Mew remake without that format.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #3372
Doctor Zhao
D

THE ROLLING GIRLS IS REALLY GOOD

Feels like I am watching FLCL again. Probably just the scooters, but still!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #3373
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Okay, I'm sold. I don't know what it is, but if Zhao says it feels like FLCL (THE BEST ANIME EVER), I'm in!
Old 01-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #3374
Scoffee
Assssss Cobra

Send a message via MSN to Scoffee

Just watched the first episode of The Rolling Girls on Zhao's recommendation, but it really left me at a loss. It was so visually interesting it was hard for me to process most of the first ten minutes while trying to read the subs and understanding who or what or where they are talking about. It's probably just my lack of knowledge about regional Japanese things, but I'll definitely need to read the wiki to understand the premise better.

Other than that, holy fucking fuck it looks so beautiful.

Other other than that, I'm deep into Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting! (episode 42 or so) and it is god damn amazing. I can't help but stand up and cheer almost every episode it fills me with a lot of hype. Strong contender for my new favorite anime.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #3375
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Here's the PV.

And it's not on Crunchyroll, but it is on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/the-rolling-girls
Old 01-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #3376
SliceSabre
Frills and Lace

SHIROBAKO 16

Another great episode. Totally went a different direction with the character design stuff than I was expecting but still was enjoyable. Got to learn a bit more about other members of the cast besides Aoi and it was nice to just see them out relaxing for once.

Kancolle 04

Fabuki goes out on a mission with the Kongo battleship sisters and here we learned that they're all actually massive idiots but they get the job done and Fabuki eases up due to their laid back nature.

Last edited by SliceSabre; 01-30-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #3377
Kaze
QUICKSCOPENOSCOPE360WREKT

Second episode of Aldnoah Zero and I am hooked.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #3378
Nuva
yes i vape

I heavily recommend Death Parade. Might be one of my new favorite animes of the season.

I gave Assassination Classroom a go. A while back ago, Nami got me into DanganRonpa and I loved its premise very much. It was very Battle Royale the game and I love that movie very much. The concept of students having to compete in something is very engaging to me for some reason. Assassination Classroom seemed very dumb since I couldn't take an idea of what tone it was going for and I decided I'd watch the 30 minute long first episode yesterday. What I thought I would get was Soul Eater, which was a premise I dug but ended up being incredibly disappointed with how it went about it. Instead I got DanganRonpa the anime.

Quote:
The Earth is threatened by a powerful creature who destroyed 70% of the Moon with its power, rendering into the shape of a crescent moon forever. The creature claims that within a year, Earth will also be destroyed by him, but he offers mankind a chance to avert this fate. In class 3-E at Kunugigaoka Junior High School, he starts working as a homeroom teacher where he teaches his students not only regular subjects, but the ways of assassination. The Japanese government promises a reward of 10 billion (i.e. 100 million USD) to whomever among the students succeeds in killing the teacher, whom they have named "Korosensei" (殺せんせー Korosensē?, pun on 殺せん unkillable and せんせい teacher). However, this has proven to be an almost impossible task, as he has several inhuman abilities at his disposal, including the capacity of moving at Mach 20.
What I got was what DanganRonpa the anime should have been like. Its presentation. Its style. Its tone. Hell, maybe even character design since it looks very very good for what it is. It won me so fast and I found myself laughing and then being on the edge of my seat.

Its really good, you guys. I recommend giving the first episode a chance at least, especially if you're a fan of Battle Royale plus potential character development (something I feel this genre or whatever you call it can easily substitute for style but no substance action.)

Also I have no idea if the subs are messed up or not but this is easily the most feminine male protagonist I have ever seen. (I think its cuz he reminds me of the sniper girl from Sword Art Online II)

Last edited by Nuva; 02-03-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #3379
Oliver

AC caught me by surprise, I've kept up with the manga until around chapter 100, how many cours are they going for with it?

I also picked up I am a Hero at a friend's recommendation and I would recommend it further.

Spoiler for I am a hero:
The main character is an awkward manga artist going through a rough patch at the start of the manga, things soon turn to worse however as people are getting infected with what amounts to a zombie virus and he has to flee the city. And due to events before the story he's one of the few people in japan to legally own a hunting rifle.

But he's also a coward and stickler for rules.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #3380
Inferno
Tea and murder

Nuva, you had me at Battle Royale.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #3381
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Nuva, you had me at Battle Royale.
Speaking of, I was on sort of a podcast yesterday. The guy editing it says it should be up later tonight.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #3382
Dayden
Nothing is sacred...

Gah, why isn't it December yet?! I want Under the Dog to be a thing!

Started Kill la Kill, oh my damn! I've only watched the first episode of Gurren Laggan and didn't really care for that (which is weird because I usually give shows at least the first three episodes before I decide), so I was hesitant on picking this one up. But yeah, despite constant fanservice, everything about this show is awesome. I'm not even halfway through it yet, but I already want it in my collection.

Durarara!! season one is almost done! Luckily there are a few episodes of 2 to keep me tied over when I finish. Just finished the Slasher arch and am getting into the Yellow Scarves. It feels like it's lost some of its steam that it had during the beginning story bits, but it seems like the buildup will be very worth the while.

Shit, even more suggestions coming. I'll give Aldnoah Zero a chance, it's been in my queue for a bit. Assassination Classroom and Rolling Girls will be added to my watch list now, too. Don't know when I'll get to these, since EUREKA SEVEN IS ON GODDAMN NETFLIX NOW WHAT.

... Not that it ever was.
Dayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #3383
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

The first episode still isn't uploaded yet, but I wanted to share a note I made on a show we're supposed to be discussing in the next episode that I have been the only main person not to have seen any of before.

Quote:
"Don't move so slyly like that. I'll get aroused." Seriously, what is this shit?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #3384
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Here we go.

I would have put it up earlier, but benadryl made me sleep for like 21 hours.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #3385
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Our second podcast was Tuesday, but I gave the main host a dumb amount of editing work by providing him like 50 screenshots to add in, so it's not up yet. Our two topics though were Orguss (the show's namesake) and Doomed Megalopolis.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #3386
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

New Lupin III series by the same studio that brought us A Women Called Fujiko Mine and Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone is coming sometime this year. Lupin's got a blue jacket this time! Also, the Fujiko spin-off and Jigen OVA were great and looked great, so I'm super excited for this.

Also, on not-Lupin news, I've been watching Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting. Up to episode 45 and loving it.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #3387
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Oh yeah, the first episode we talk about that.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #3388
Konata

More Lupin III? I am always up for it

I already have 61.1 GBs of Lupin Movies, TV series and specials..Only missing one tv series * pink jacket cause it was meh, and Return of Pycal*

Last edited by Konata; 02-23-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Konata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #3389
Hoogie
STYLE

I like A Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I still need to see that movie. But yeah, very excited for a new series by them.

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #3390
Inferno
Tea and murder

I've been watching Cromartie High.

Take Daily Lives of High School Boys, put it on steroids, mix it with Gokusen, and add dramatic shading, and the result is Cromarite High.

I'm enjoying it.