F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Tech Garage

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Gabby
Sleepy

Send a message via ICQ to Gabby Send a message via AIM to Gabby Send a message via MSN to Gabby Send a message via Yahoo to Gabby Send a message via Skype™ to Gabby
Default Recommended Software

This thread will be used to catalog recommended free software (or software with a free trial), stuff everyone should have or try. Under here I'll list out the good suggestions, so, go wild.

Browsers
Firefox
Opera
Google Chrome
Safari

Thunderbird

Desktop Mods
Object Dock - Docklet program that mimics the OSX Iconbar
UltraMon - Dual / Triple / Quad Monitor Management

Messengers
Pidgin - All in One Messenger that supports Google Talk, Freeware.
Trillian - All in One Messenger that supports almost everything, if you pay the reg fee.
mIRC - IRC Client, 30 Day Trial but the trial doesn't lock you out after it's done.

Media Players
WinAmp - Supports most codecs, skinable with media browser.
VLC Media Player - Supports and plays any codec and format known to mankind. Also makes Chili and Fries.
Media Player Classic - Extremely lightweight alternative to Windows Media Player.
Foobar 2000 - A simple, but good media player with support for plenty of formats.

System Utilities
WinRAR - File Compression Utility
7-zip - Lightweight archive utility capable of handing a variety of archive formats.
O&O Defrag - Memory Fragmentation Manager which will defrag in the background 24/7, improves system performance.
Rainmeter - Fully customizable system monitor.
Avira Antivir - Free anti-virus that updates daily.
Avast - An excellent antivirus software. It's free and automatically updates it's database of known viruses multiple times a week.
Spybot S&D - Free spyware/adware remover.

Multimedia
GIMP - Free GUI Interface Image Editor, supports almost every format known.
paint.net - Free image editing software
Audacity - Free, open source audio editor.
OpenOffice.org - An open source office suite that rivals M$ Office, and is fully compatible.
Irfanview - Program for viewing and basic editing of images. Supports nearly every format known to man and resizing, cropping, and some basic effects are all one click affairs.

Download Tools
Bittorrent - The Torrent Program that started it all.
uTorrent - A tiny Bittorent client
Ares Galaxy - P2P Software, spyware free, much better alternative to most P2P clients.
Red Kawa File Server - Free LAN file server.
FDM - Free download manager with a lot of options, including youtube video ripping.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

paint.net - Free image editing software (I preferred this over GIMP myself so putting the option out there)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Mr. Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post

paint.net - Free image editing software (I preferred this over GIMP myself so putting the option out there)
For what it's worth I'd recommend both of those too.

Avira Antivir - Free anti-virus that updates daily.

Spybot S&D - Free spyware/adware remover.

Red Kawa File Server - Free LAN file server. Really easy to setup and take down not much configuring to do. Takes the hassle out of transferring files on your home network. I got it originally to transfer files to my PS3 then found it useful for tons of other stuff.
Mr. Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Axios

7-zip - Lightweight archive utility capable of handing a variety of archive formats.

Avast - An excellent antivirus software. It's free and automatically updates it's database of known viruses multiple times a week.

Foobar 2000 - A simple, but good media player with support for plenty of formats.

Songbird - Mozilla's (yes, as in "Firefox") attempt at a media player. It's still young and has a few bugs, but it's generally solid and, like it's siblings, is extensible. Plays DRM protected WMA an M4P files out of the box.

Oh, and all of the above are absolutely free. And I'll go ahead and toss in my own recommendation for uTorrent and paint.net. Spybot as well.
Axios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Loki

Send a message via AIM to Loki Send a message via MSN to Loki Send a message via Yahoo to Loki

Clamwin Antivirus A good, lightweight antivirus. Doesn't have active scanning, but it's perfect for anyone that already has common sense 2009.

Rainmeter Fully customizable system monitor.

Audacity Free, open source audio editor.

FDM, Free download manager with a lot of options, including youtube video ripping.

Bloodshed Cross platform C++ IDE with inline error checking.

Last edited by Loki; 04-14-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Zorchenhimer

Send a message via AIM to Zorchenhimer Send a message via MSN to Zorchenhimer Send a message via Yahoo to Zorchenhimer Send a message via Skype™ to Zorchenhimer

OpenOffice.org - An open source office suite that rivals M$ Office, and is fully compatible. It's also cross platform (Win, Mac, Linux).
Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
Beev
Kicker of Elves

Send a message via AIM to Beev Send a message via MSN to Beev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorchenhimer View Post
M$ Office
shit bro I fucking just noticed what you did

fight the fuckin power man
Beev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
Beev
Kicker of Elves

In a less assholish post, Irfanview.

Probably the best program I've ever used for viewing and basic editing of images. Supports nearly every format known to man and resizing, cropping, and some basic effects are all one click affairs. Two thumbs up from me.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
venn177
Fishstick.

Send a message via AIM to venn177 Send a message via MSN to venn177 Send a message via Yahoo to venn177

www.rocketdock.com

I haven't tried Object Dock, but from your description they seem like just about the same thing. Couldn't hurt to post this, could it?
venn177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Starlight

I also recommend rocketdock.

Media Player:
Zoom Player - Free video and music player. Plays every format that I've ever come across. Seems to be smoother than VLC on a low-end computer, at least in my opinion.

System Utilities:
Prime95 - A stress test for your computer, featuring multiple types of tests to stress different parts of your computer. Download link is below Step 3.
Orthos - Basically Prime95, but with a simple GUI.
CPU-Z - A program that gathers information about your CPU, motherboard, and RAM.
PC Wizard - A program that gathers detailed information about your computer. Does everything CPU-Z does and much more.
Realtemp - A CPU temperature monitoring program. It's been said that Realtemp is the best temperature monitoring program to use if you have an E8400.
Rivatuner - A program that allows you to monitor your Nvidia graphics card, as well as tweak various settings, such as your fan speed and the performance of the card (over/underclocking). This program is designed with Nvidia in mind, but it has limited functionality with some ATI cards.
ATITool - A program with many of the same features as Rivatuner, such as fan control and over/underclocking features. This software boasts full support for all ATI and Nvidia cards, with a few exceptions. ATITool also has an artifact scanning mode, which stress tests your graphics card and looks for artifacts that are a tell-tale sign of an unstable graphics card.

Multimedia:
Faststone Image Viewer - Free image viewing software with minor editing functions.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Ace
Pet?

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Fantastic program that deletes temporary files and stuff you don't need. I love it. Never had any problems with it.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
Vicky

CCCP
Codec pack for most viewing of most anime fansubs and any other avi/mkv/xvid/h264 files. http://cccp-project.net/

Notepad++
For scripting and such. http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Speedfan
For knowing tempature of your hardware. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
FenixAiur
JIMMY THE ROBOT!

Send a message via MSN to FenixAiur Send a message via Yahoo to FenixAiur

Vicky posted the ones I kept wondering if they were worth posting or not. 8D
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #14
Vicky

Media players are kind of useless without codecs. D:
Notepad++, is probably more specific but I always find it useful for the small scripting I do.
Speedfan, usually get most of my tempature sensors compared to other software.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #15
Axios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I also recommend rocketdock.

Media Player:
Zoom Player - Free video and music player. Plays every format that I've ever come across. Seems to be smoother than VLC on a low-end computer, at least in my opinion.
I give Zoom Player a hearty recommendation.
Axios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
Zorchenhimer

Send a message via AIM to Zorchenhimer Send a message via MSN to Zorchenhimer Send a message via Yahoo to Zorchenhimer Send a message via Skype™ to Zorchenhimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
Notepad++, is probably more specific but I always find it useful for the small scripting I do.
I love Notepad++. I use it all the time. It's even got a built in FTP client so I can work on my website during English class.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #17
Beev
Kicker of Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axios View Post
Songbird - Mozilla's (yes, as in "Firefox") attempt at a media player. It's still young and has a few bugs, but it's generally solid and, like it's siblings, is extensible. Plays DRM protected WMA an M4P files out of the box.
I like how whatever wasn't stolen outright from itunes they copy and pasted from firefox.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #18
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorchenhimer View Post
I love Notepad++. I use it all the time. It's even got a built in FTP client so I can work on my website during English class.
Yup it's awesome. Great for viewing nfo's as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Scope View Post
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Fantastic program that deletes temporary files and stuff you don't need. I love it. Never had any problems with it.
Fuck yes you're the best way to get rid of worms ever.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #20
Skee

Send a message via MSN to Skee

Someone already posted CPUz like I was gonna.

So;

GPUz : Like CPUz, only for Graphics Cards!

As for Virus scanners...

ClamWin : Highly reliable, low system resource anti virus system that updates more than 3 times daily. If you like to keep going when a scan is running, and hate how Avira or AVG bog down your system, this one is for you!

Last edited by Skee; 04-23-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Skee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #21
tiffle
the wrost

Directory Printer : Lists all contents of specified directories and/or subdirectories. Very useful if you want to keep track of large collections.
tiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
Nuva
yes i vape

ImgBurn, when yah need to burn DVDs and you don't feel like using the resource hog that is Nero
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
Loki

Send a message via AIM to Loki Send a message via MSN to Loki Send a message via Yahoo to Loki

Something I just discovered, XAMPP. For people who like having a PHP/MySQL development environment on their windows computer.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
SimplicityComplex
Supid fool!

Firefox addons:

Flashblock: quote from the maker, "...and blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to download and then view the Flash content." In other words, it blocks flash content and then allows you to choose whether or not you want to view it.

Noscript: Quote from maker, "The best security you can get in a web browser!
Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks."

EDIT 1: Forgot about Adblock Plus somehow. It blocks ads and the frames that ads reside in by right clicking on them.

Unfortunately, I believe you can only use these for Firefox. There are a bunch of other useful add-ons, but these are the best imo.

Last edited by SimplicityComplex; 05-30-2009 at 08:59 PM.
SimplicityComplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #25
Ace
Pet?

Just wondering, what web browser has the lowest memory usage? I'm looking to use one just play music through pandora or something while I play TF2.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #26
Ves
The Human

The ones with the lowest memory usage would be text only DOS based ones like Lynx and they wouldn't have flash support. Chrome/Opera are much smaller usage than firefox or IE, but I'm sure there is something smaller.

You could also try using a low memory media player(billy, foobar2k, etc.) then just use it to connect to an internet radio station. Would be less memory/bandwidth than a browser at the least.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #27
Makoglider
everything happens somuch

Send a message via Skype™ to Makoglider

Just gonna say, Microsoft Security Essentials is a fantastic free antivirus, and Internet Explorer 9 is great too.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #28
Ves
The Human

oh hey I guess I'll take this over and start adding stuff to the first post.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #29
Allch Chcar

Hey, here is a couple more.

Bitmeter, monitors network usage. A necessity for me since I'm on Satellite internet which has a daily bandwidth cap and on a network. If someone blows our bandwidth, Bitmeter records it. The downside is that it record all network traffic regardless of origin or destination.

Fraps, can output screenshots in the format of your choice, can display FPS in games and programs, can record video but only in 30 second chunks for the free version.

Hardware monitor, a temp monitor program from CpuID, records min, max, and average temps.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #30
HaraDaya
[Ha-ra-Da-ya]

Send a message via MSN to HaraDaya

Total Commander, a much more advanced filemanager than Explore. It does zipping, multi-(smart)renaming, queing mass copying, ftp connections and so much more, I don't even know half of what it can do, and I've been using it since I started messing with computers.

Gamebooster, it's really just a automatic process killer. You select all the processes you don't need when gaming, and click gaming mode, and it kills all the processes. When you're done, you click it again and it'll start them back up. I found a noticeable FPS boost in some games.
(Word of the wise, look for a download of Gamebooster 1.6, they've released Gamebooster 2 to replace it, and it's basically just a trial program reminding you of all the crap it could do if you bought it.)

UltimateDefrag, the name says it all really. This defragger allows for a lot of advanced settings. You can manually decide where on the disc you want your files. Set your most used files to be set at the edge of the disc where it's the fastest. If you don't feel like doing all that, there's an automatic, intelligent optimizing of your files. I ended up buying it.

SUPERę, video converter that does just about any format you stick at it. Lots of advanced output settings. This is the only video converter you need. (The setup file is hidden pretty damn well on their site. You go to navigate through 2-3 links to finally start the download)

HaraDaya is offline   Reply With Quote