F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #31
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

I'd steer clear of Magic if I were you. I can tell you from experience how addicting the Pokemon TCG has been for me. It's a money sink. Magic is infinitely more complicated, with hundreds if not thousands more specific cards. The things you'd have to do to put together a seriously good deck would likely outstrip anything I've done for Pokemon cards. That's a time and money sink you can hardly afford.
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #32
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Yeah. I hear that. I'll stick to just having a deck made out of my buddy's cards so I can play against him.

Transforemrs already sucks the money out of me. I'm lucky there's a toy drought now; at least maybe I can get a haircut or something.

God, I wish just something around here had a job opening.

"You're like Frood duct taped to Slice at a Song of Ice and Fire LARP." -Nami-
The Deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #33
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

The Transformers Rant

Part 2: The Fans vs. Hasbro

Oh hey, wasn't part 2 going to be Hasbro vs. Takara? It's not important to me right now, so no, you get this instead.

"Why can't hasbro do anything right for once?

A common question asked among the fandom. Why can't they apply more paint aps? Why can't they make a combining Devastator toy? Why didn't they release the Premium line as the original line? Why are they not making a Ramjet? Why are they making a Dirge? Etc. etc. etc. etc. I'm tired of this crap.

True, sometimes Hasbro makes some bad moves. I've seen them skimp out on paint aps. In fact, I had to paint the treads on my Legends Brawl so that there was some colour other than green on it. And yes, Animated Lockdown is missing a crapton of paint aps. Why, you ask? For starters, Legends Brawl was only available in a two-pack with Legends Rescue Ratchet (himself missing a lot of paint). The two-pack costs a couple dollars less than two legends individually. In order to maintain a Scout pricepoint, something had to be cut; so they cut back on paint aps. Animated Lockdown has some vibrant colours but he has no fewer than six different colours of paint on him. Add onto the fact that he's a towering deluxe, being almost as tall as leader class figures.

So yeah, a lot of it is pricepoint crunching. They skimp 75 cents worth of paint so that you get a toy at $10 instead of $14. Most people cite how Takara has more paint aps. True, they do; but they also live right next to China, where the figures are made. They save a bit on shipping to their storehouses, so they can afford a few extra paint aps. On the subject of more accurate paint aps in japan. That has more to do with the fact that Takara releases figures a little later than Hasbro does, so they can wait until the final character models are in.

"Why can't they make a combining Devastator?

See also "why isn't the mold like this?" I'm using the upcoming Devastator toy as the best example, because it's caused the most outrage in quite awhile. Put simply, it looks really clunky, unarticulated, and it's six component parts don't have individual robot modes. So fans outraged. Given the inclusion of electronics in the head, and the honest to goodness girth of the figure, I'd be shocked if they did have individual robot modes. While it might not be 2 feet tall like it was reported to be, the upper body is still massive. If the component parts had individual modes, the legs would collapse under its own weight the second you moved it. As for lacking articulation, the lack of head movement is because of a gimmick in the head that requires the head be stationary. As for the rest of the figure, given it's sheer mass, chances are it would fail the drop tests if it were more intricate. And with the toy safety laws to consider, safety is the number one priority. Fans try the argument "but a kid who is old enough to own this thing wouldn't eat any small parts." True, but a kid's infant sibling would.

As for the gimmickery, a lot of fans consider a lot of them stupid. A thing to consider: they're toys; they should have some sort of gimmick. A lot of fans forget these were made for kid's enjoyment more than ours, so obviously they add stuff for the kids first. Do you remember back in the day when spring-loaded punch action was absolutely badass? A kid would take that over a wrist joint anyday.

"Why isn't it like (insert kitbasher's name here) version?"

For starters: cost. Yes, a lot of it would be made into a different colour plastic, but chances are there aren't enough sprues to cover all the colours. (Sprue: the sheet of parts you get in model sets). Any given deluxe will have maybe 5 sprues, many of which are made specifically to the original colour scheme, and generally have a minimum of parts on each. Why were Aniamted Starscream's missles translucent orange? Because there's only 5 other parts using that sprue. And once they make the metal mold of the sprues, they can't change it. so if they have one red piece for the eyes, and everything else is a translucent blue, and there isn't going to be a single bit of red anywhere else on the figure. Gess what? Paint ap. And if they're out of paint aps? They'll just ignore it so they can meet the pricepoint.

"Why didn't they release the Premium line as the original line?"

Because they already hit the pricepoint with number of parts and paint aps, so they couldn't afford it then. This is going to segway into the repaints, fyi. They didn't expect the movie to do as well as it did. And after they had made the money back from engineering the toys, then they could start adding more paint aps, given that they're not making up production cost anymore. Yes, a marginally better painted figure being released after the first one has gone out of production is a means to make money. Welcome to the world of busiiness. Not only that, but it also gives people who missed out on the older version to get new ones. As for "having" to buy the newer versions, if you're willing to fork over another $10 for another figure, that's your problem, not Hasbro's. I've still got the original Concept Bumblebee, and I'm happy with that enough, and cheap enough to not buy the premium version.

Why are they not making a Ramjet?

See also "why are they not releasing the repaint I want?" Because not only is the trademark for Ramjet safe and secure, but they already used up all the alloted figures from Starscream's mold for this line. They've already got 3 Voyager class figures, 3 Activators, and one Legends. Maybe they'll relase Ramjet as a Legends figure. Then people will complain as to why he's not a Voyager. Seriously now, what parent would buy 4 of the same mold for their kid? What kid would want 4 of the exact same toy? Okay, us collector's would (and often do) buy multiple versions of the mold for purposes like this (I, in fact, will end up owning 9), but the masses wouldn't. Bad marketing if they decided. Maybe if the line continues long enough, they'll release more Voyagers of the mold; but only after the old 3 have gone away, thus opening the market for the guys who missed them, but also slightly cattering to the collector's market. Hasbro does consider us collectors every now and then. We're the primary market who will buy the original mold and the repaint.

"Why are they making a Dirge?

Animated Ramjet was in the show, whereas Dirge was not. Dirge gets a toy, Ramjet does not. Why? There's a lot of reasons, but I think the primary one is to protect the trademark. Dirge hasn't had a retail release in awhile, so they needed to renew the trademark. Thus: Aniamted Dirge was born. Given how few slots are open for Starscream repaints, Ramjet had to be cut. Ramjet's trademark is getting renewed in ROTF, so he's covered. Hasbro has to consider the long-term effects of releasing and not releasing some figures. Hence why the recent Octane figure was named Tankor. Hasbro doesn't have the trademark for Octane. And one of his modes is an oil tanker; and Tankor needed a renew. Bam! Tankor. Collectors can still call him Octane. And before anyone complains about how they recently figured out how to add "Decepticon" on the beginning of the name to get away with releasing a figure with a name Hasbro doesn't own; remember that means Hasbro risks losing Tankor. It's a delicate balance between renewing and using the cheap method of adding Autobot/Decepticon to the name.

There could be more, but I ran out of questions before I got tired of repeating the questions. Of course Hasbro would like to add more paint aps or make figures downright better with the 'correct' name; but they'd end up all costing about 5 times as much as they do now. Hasbro's doing a good job with the restictions they're under. If that's not enough for you, irate anti-hasbro fandome, go import your TakaraTomy figures. In the meantime, I'll be adding tiny bits of paint on a figure I spent no shipping on. Hell, I might even drybrush them, making them look even better than Takara's and not spending $30 on shipping.
Alternatively anti-Hasbro fandom: learn how to paint. It's not that hard. You're already in this far, may as well take another step through the door. You might even make some extra money touching-up figures you already own.

Last edited by The Deej; 04-28-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #34
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Soooo... kinda hate to ask, but does anyone know how I can make some money? There are a few addendums here.

1) There are no jobs within an hour's walk from my house.
2) The only job around here is a 2 and a half hour walk and it's so stressful I'll be fired for seizuring too much.
3) There are no real odd jobs. Lawnmowing doesn't count because either no one takes care of their lawn or they just mow it by setting fire to it. No, that's nota joke; they seriously burn their lawns this time of year.
4) There are no drybrushable figures out around here; and given my lack of any other kitbashing skill, none of the other ones would be a viable source of plastic-crack money.

With those in mind, does anyone have any ideas? 'Cause I'm kinda out of ideas myself.

Oh, and don't worry. There's no threat of me going broke or anything. This is just for spending money.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 AM   #35
Frent
Elder Statesman

Doing some sort of job from home might work, via the Internet. Or telemarketing.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #36
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

There's no telemarketing jobs around here. The only one is a call center; which is the said seizuriffic job.

Inteernet stuff sounds like it pays next to nothing; but I suppose it would work.

What would be really nice is if I got some commissions for customs. Hint, hint, everyone.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #37
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So Hasbro's offering Preorders of the Leader Prime alongside the Preview figures.

Maaaaybe my master plan can still work, with probably a month gap in it.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 AM   #38
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So a thought occured to me yesterday night laying in bed.

What if the paintjobs I'm giving these figures actually decreases their value? Given how I've damned near ruined Prime's arm, it's quite possible.

Alternatively, no one might buy them because they'll just think "oh, I'll just wait a month or two and buy the ROTF prime."

Soooooo many things can go wrong with this plan, now that I think of it.

yes, I know; I'm such a pessimist.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #39
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I was going to post something here today... but I forgot what it was.

On another note: I cleaned a lot of my room today, and have a table in my room now which I can paint on. No more needed to wait for my mom's company to leave to paint now!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #40
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So... moments after I set up my table, I find out I'm housesitting tomorrow.

i was looking forward to painting too.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #41
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So hey, I can't afford to have a hobby anymore. Go me.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #42
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I am in possession of an Xbox 360 and access to a friend's collection of games.

Happy face.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #43
Devilman501
Ryan Bus Driver

Send a message via MSN to Devilman501 Send a message via Skype™ to Devilman501

So I heard that Magic: The Gathering is a pretty cool guy.

I remember that, yugioh, and the pokemon card games from way back.

Deej, why can't you afford to have a hobby anymore? >:l

Ain't no thang!
Devilman501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #44
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Because I'm paying the other half of the phone bill my mom would normally pay. That way, she frees up some moneyfor food, which is kinda important.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #45
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

It's 4AM and I can't sleep.

This is where a seizure wouldl be useful. If I had one, the resulting exhaustion would knock me right out.

But no... can't sleep. Tired Deej hates the world.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #46
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So I spent all last night having what I would call fever dreams. And I woke up and my throat has been killing me all day. Also just now developing a fever.

I think I caught a cold.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #47
Devilman501
Ryan Bus Driver

Send a message via MSN to Devilman501 Send a message via Skype™ to Devilman501

More like swine flu.

Ain't no thang!
Devilman501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #48
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Nothing like looking at an articule detailing your next wave of crack to piss you off a bit, eh?

So yeah... may as well get this done with. Here's what I plan to pick up:

Legends:
Prime, Jetfire, Megatron, the seven Constructicons

Scouts:
They'll be low-priority impulse buys if anything; but they do look good.

Deluxes:
Definates: Soundwave, Rampage, Sideswipe
Maybes: Skids & Mudflap (depends on if I like the characters), Sidways, Arcee & Chromia (depends on if they combine like the rumour says), Ravage (if there's nothing else on the definate list there), Scorponok (same as Ravage except including Ravage), Jolt (depends on if I like his character AND if the toy is downright badass)

Voyagers:
Definates: Demolisher, Megatron, Mixmaster, The Fallen, Long Haul, Deep Tracker Ratchet
Maybe: Starscream

Leader class:
Definate: Optimus Prime
Maybe: Jetfire, Megatron

Supreme Devestator is a maybe... when it's on clearance.

To clarify, I'd be happy having the definates. The maybes would be nice, but... meh, rather have the definates. if I can manage to find enough Leader Primes and if the drybrushing idea works out for me, I shouldn't have a problem getting my definates.

...Wow, looking over that list, I'm going to damn near double my number of Movie Decepticons. Guess I'll have to migrate the display to a bigger shelf

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #49
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Chipped away the last little bit of my layaway of a month and a half for two figures: Animated Blurr and Animatd Swindle.

The quick summary: both their shoulders hurt. Blurr's movement is restricted by the large pieces of car which are his shoulderpads and Swindle has too much molded in plaastic on his shoulders which don't allow much movement.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #50
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So my mom got the call about getting her Job Interview in order.

Wooooo!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #51
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

so I was browsing my Xbox 360 can blog thing today, after remembering I had one. [link]

Today's entry just made me roll around laughing.

Quote:
He rallied Soulcalibur IV, Banjo Kazooie: N&B, The Orange Box adding 3 achievements, and then Deej of Destron developed a funny twitch and went to try and sleep it off or something. Crazy humans...

Ahhh... random twitch jokes just make me laugh so hard.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #52
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Five bucks says the Leader class Optimus Prime repaint shows up before the regular one up here.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #53
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That's right. I have seen right around no anime.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #54
Frent
Elder Statesman

I can make a bevy of suggestions to you on MSN, but you really should watch Cowboy Bebop. I can't imagine any anime fan not having seen it, really.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #55
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I think I made some improvement.

Since I'll have roughly $20 left over from next week's welfare, you'd think I'd buy a Transformer.

Wrong; it's going towards the phone bill, even though I don't technically need to put that extra money down.

Hooray broke but still feeling like it's going towards something useful.

=edit=
My mom's job interview is schedualed! WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Last edited by The Deej; 05-21-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #56
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So I finished off Gurren Lagann.

Its' a really good anime. I enjoyed the designs of the characters and mechs. I think one of the things that hurt it was that it was that it put too much focus on being awesome that it sacraficed actual substance; but that's just a personal preference. A good example is that I didn't know half the characters. I knew the core cast and the others who had at least an episode dedicated to their interpersonal relationships (actually why I was so interested in the Rossiu arc). But the majority of the other pilots... suffered from major intro dumping as I recall. We got like ten new characters who got next to no lines. Me and my buddy knew them by description. There was the Two Brothers, Cigarette Guy, some other people I don't remember, and the kids whose names I can almost remember.

I was particularly fond the the Anti-Spiral. I dunno why.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 AM   #57
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So I was talking with Addy yesterday. Sometime during the conversation, I calculated how much I would spend on Transformers for the ROTF line if I got all the figures I wanted and kinda-sorta wanted.

$635, including a clearenced half-off Supreme Devestator. Probably to be spent over a year. I haven't factored out the figures I may decide to just plain not get, but that's an overal estimate on price. I'll probably miss out on one of the Leader classes, since that's generally how it goes.

But hey, I should be able to get a job by the time the line starts up around here (Cape Breton retail is terribly slow when it comes to restocking). Even with a cut-off point of $250 before welfare stops paying my rent, that's still a whole $100 more than my current welfare cheque. I could start buying some new pants, and maybe a shelf; because I honestly doubt I could spend $100 on Transformes every two weeks.

...Okay, we all know that last sentence was a lie.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #58
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So yeah... turns out the line hit Wal-Mart in full force. Well, almost, since there's no Leader class figures (just a little longer DV). They were out of Voyager Primes, which isn't surprising, since that's the only incarnation of Movie Prime available at the moment.

I wasn't expecting the line to hit so hard right at first, caught me a little off-guard. There were no fewer than 13 figures for sale (14 if you include Prime). breakaway is a definate pass... thing's just ugly a fuck. And I'd rather wait to get enough money for a Premium Ironhide from the first movie line instead of buying the new one. I'll hold off on Starscream and Bumblebee. If I miss them, oh well, it's not like I don't already have the first movie ones (which looking back do look so bad in comparison).

Anyone think I should start whoring out custom painted Bumblebees out to make a little extra cash? It would be the logical thing to do. He's about the only one that would look good with a drybrushing of his parts on there.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #59
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

I really wish the local stores would stock up on the ROTF Leader figures. That way I could at least have a good chance of making some money.

=edit=

I really, really hate to do this, but does anyone have $5USD sitting in their paypal, by chance? I'm looking to sell my painted up Leader Prime on ebay for funds to start that drybrushing plan I had way back when; but I need the money to pay for the listing fee. I'll will definately pay you back as soon as the auction is over.

Last edited by The Deej; 05-29-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #60
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

So it looks like (with some help from Addy) that I'll be putting up my first custom Transformers up on eBay tomorrow.

Wish me luck!