F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 04-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #661
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Dogma Send a message via MSN to Mr. Dogma

Developments on the ebay thing.

Quote:
Me: I think it prevents communication through the case messaging once it's been closed. Like I said, you have no obligations to refund me. It's not your fault that it got lost. I took the risk on trying to get something without tracking, and it didn't work out. It's fine.

Him: Hey Matthew. How's it going?

How about you pay for tracking and I send you another? [I thought this was actually a pretty reasonable compromise. This is pretty standard fare when things get lost otherwise, to have the buyer pay the shipping for the replacement.]

Me: Hi, things are fine. That is a very reasonable offer. However, it has been some time since I first made the order and a new wave of amiibos is coming out soon. At this point in time, I'm looking to get a Lucina. If it's acceptable and does not seem too inconvenient to you, I'd like to instead pay the $15 difference between the Rosalina ($24.99) and your current Lucina price ($39.99), plus shipping with a tracking option (likely EMS as I've used that in that past). If that seems too inconvenient, your original offer is reasonable and I would be okay with that.

Him: Sure thing Matthew I will send you an invoice for the extra over the next few hours...
So, the cost is mostly refunded, and I can instead get another Lucina for out of box display and use. Fairly acceptable to me actually. Although, seriously, what is it with Japanese people and the use of ellipses?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #662
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #663
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

A new page eh? Guess it's time for new music.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 01-21-2016 at 02:11 AM.
Mr. Dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #664
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Summary of work

As for other stuff. I just finished Persona 4: Golden this past week. A new epilogue actually left me feeling happy rather than sad like the ending of the original. Felt more like I'd always be around the characters I love rather than saying goodbye to them. All the newly added voiceovers were fantastic and I felt closer to each character. New events. More things specifically alluding to the character I was dating. Costumes that serve the purpose of being cosmetic only so I'm not forced to choose between style or function. Basically, Golden gave me everything I liked and more of it.

Being doing charity voice work. I am behind as fuck. I still have around 2000 lines to go before next Friday. I'm gonna try and knock out like at least 900 today. Takes me around an hour to do 300 lines. I could go faster, but I check the sound quality on every line to make sure there's no popping, hissing, sound dropouts, or me just stuttering like an idiot.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 08-08-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #665
Mega
No-Fo You.

Nice, can you give us more info?
Old 08-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #666
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

For the charity thing? Sure. Basically it was brought to my attention by Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt who are helping drive the charity. You sign up, use whatever recording equipment you have, go to their website and read the like 3000-ish lines that are on there. You can re-record lines if you need to or submit it if you're satisfied.

From there, it takes the line you just read and analyzes the sound, breaking it down into its phonetic components. Once you're all done, they take the full work of all the phonetic sounds you made during the recording and blends them together for people who need to speak using machines. So that way each person that speaks through a machine gets a unique voice instead of the standard machine sound you'd get from something like what Stephen Hawking uses.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #667
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

I know there's already an embed in here, so you'll have to either follow it back or wait for the song to finish.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #668
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Ah right, should point out I managed to finish up the charity voice drive in time. Wrapped up on Wednesday. During the weekend I switched to my more professional mic off of my gaming headset. As soon as I did, I basically double my recording rate because there were less technical issues that occurred. Wrapped up around 2.5k lines during the weekend and then finished up the last 500-ish between Monday and Wednesday.

Been working OT like crazy this month. Voluntary on Tuesdays/Thursdays. But hey, work pays for food, so it saves me needing to go out and get dinner that night. I also eat less because I don't feel compelled to finish so I'm not wasting money. So, I'm looking forward to a nice paycheck with several hours of OT attached to it. And since there's not anything I can think off off the top of my head that I'll be like, "I MUST SPEND MONEY ON THIS", I can probably roll over more of the money into the fund I'm setting aside to rent a recording studio to get a professional demo reel done. I'm still a ways off though.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #669
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Man, every so often I am reminded that I should really move out to LA. Karen Strassman (aka the voice of characters such as Nanako Dojima and Aigis from Persona, Olivia and Anna from FE:A, MK9's Kitana and Mileena, and SFIV's Poison) brought to my attention a video game voice over workshop that takes place over 4 weeks and includes classes on general introductions and etiquette, fantasy/anime/rpg games, battle chatter for war games, facial capture, and actual recording. The class is only $600 and the class would be across 8 days. All things I could feasibly do. IF I WAS IN LA. Unfortunately, I can't afford to take a month long vacation from work, both in terms of productivity and money.

I need to find someone who can point me in the right direction from within Dallas. We have two fairly big and one more less well known video game developers. We have the FUNimation studios. I don't know why it's so fucking hard to find decent classes around the area. What little ones I do find feel kinda shady. Maybe if I can get in contact with the right person I can get pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #670
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So, office move is happening this weekend. Means I got a 4 day weekend coming up, though two of those days are unpaid, so... yeah. Anyway, went to Buffalo Wild Wings tonight since there isn't one near the new office location. The Blazin wings were much hotter this time. I think it's because I ate them last, so the sauce had time to congeal. That and the ghost pepper sauce I bought probably affected things too. I got the tummy rumblies.

Also, I'm finding myself getting increasingly upset when people badmouth English VAs. You can prefer Japanese VAs to English ones. That's fine. Hell, I do in a lot of cases. But you can express that opinion without being a huge fucking twat about it.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 09-23-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:45 AM   #671
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I've definitely seen people do that with anime dub actors, but not in a long, long time. Then again, I try to hang out or talk with twats considerably less than I used to.

I think it was at its worst when I was at a con in like 2003 and saw a group of cocksuckers just heckling Monica Rial as she walked by. She was minding her own business and these aspy douchers just decided they needed to shit on her, because they prefer their Japanese cartoons in Japanese.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #672
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

I feel like death. After dinner last night I've had a scratchy throat. It's painful and it's causing me to do lots of dry coughing. It has slowly gotten worse over the course of the day and the coughing fits I've had since a few hours ago are so rough that I feel dizzy after. Shit suuuuuuuuucks.

Also, I planned to play Peace Walker today to try and make more progress. I instead spent the whole day making back up RPG characters because coming up with random characters amuses me.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 09-25-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #673
Nuva
yes i vape

You got honey? That can help with that. A teaspoon of honey down the throat.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:42 AM   #674
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So, I haven't touched this in a while. Nothing major to report. PAX South is coming up. I now have my second official game credits with the release of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. I'm finally getting around to starting Phantom Pain which I've been meaning to do for a while. Also, picked up The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel and have been thoroughly enjoying it. For picking a game up on a whim, it's living up to my expectations for it. Basically feels like a military themed Persona but with less downtime.

Been kinda antsy about work. Not because things are going poorly, but because a while back one of the leads told me that he'd put my name in for an analyst position once the current night analyst inevitably becomes the night lead. I didn't make too much of it at the time because there was another night crew member I felt was much more suited to the position, but he's being poached to day crew. So now the possibility of winding up in that position is more likely and it makes me nervous. It's not that I don't want the position, it's that I don't feel capable to handle it just yet. I actually give a shit about my job and being able to do it as well as I can, so I don't want to take on the additional responsibility and feel like I didn't deserve it. I feel relatively well respected among night crew to some degree. I feel like when people have questions I'm one of the major three that gets asked, but that doesn't register as good enough for me yet. I want to be able when the time comes for consideration to be able to say with minimal hesitation that I can handle it.

Also, guess I'll change the music.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 01-21-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #675
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So, as a follow up to last night, I asked our current analyst about the situation. Cause like I said, if I'm actually being considered, I want to be able to do well. I was given a bit more information, but nothing that particularly sets me any more at ease. It's somewhat comforting to know that I was his choice for when he gets promoted, I suppose. I'm not uncomfortable with leadership roles per se, but I hate being the bad guy if someone fucks up. I've technically done it a few times in a professional capacity. Like, I'll say what I need to and do what I need to in those situations, but I don't feel good about it. I mean on the one hand when I look at the group as it will eventually exist, I DO feel confident enough to say that I'm the best existing candidate. I just want to be better though.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #676
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So, follow-up to that months later. I've been unofficially bumped up to the analyst role. Our previous night shift supervisor finally got his promotion to lead, so I've been moved up to take the night shift supervisor role. Last night I managed the last bits of the shift. Tonight was all my show. Was SUPER daunting cause it feels weird that less than 2 years at the job and now I'm deciding who does what and when. Spent lots of the early part of the shift answering questions. But yeah, basically means I'm running night shift now. Gonna take some time to get used to that.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #677
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

You in the big leagues now.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #678
The Deej
Ace Surgeon

Rule with an iron fist!

"You're like Frood duct taped to Slice at a Song of Ice and Fire LARP." -Nami-
The Deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #679
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

So, update since I haven't touched this in like 3 months. We got a schedule change. I got moved to a different project. I've been effectively helping to run this project for the past few months now. Shit has gotten SUPER busy. I'm starting to get into meetings with partners, in-house devs, external devs, publishers, and producers. We are also unfortunately in SERIOUS crunch right now. We're pulling in other teams and working 7 days a week. The good news is that it sounds like I'm actually fairly valued for the work I do and I have a shot at becoming a lead in the future.