F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Artistic Endeavors > Writer's Block

Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #31
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Send a message via AIM to Thekylekurtz Send a message via MSN to Thekylekurtz

Painkillers

Chapter Eighteen: Dance with the Devil Tonight

Liza stood over him at the edge of her chair, glaring down with cold eyes at the tattered figure eagerly eating a pulled pork sandwich. Napkin pressed to his chin Alendero spoke through a mouth of food to let her know, “I'm not gonna pull out a chair, go ahead and sit.”

She sat down slowly, pointing at an item on the menu when the waiter eventually inquired. She scowled as he continued to sloppily devour his sandwich, demanding, “What makes you think this meeting will end without you thrown in jail?”

He looked up, taking a long drink from a straw. Meal finished he leaned back, untied boots hitting the table as he boasted, “Because, for starters, you need me. More than you know. And I'd bet you'd like to, but right now you're having a little trouble hearing my thoughts, aren't you?” He paused, waiting for her brow to furrow further before going on, “I'm surprised you haven't met more people capable of sideways thinking. Little trick they taught me when I used work for The Man. I taught myself to an old N'Sync CD, I hope you like 90's pop.”

He trailed off at the feeling of steady pressure forming at the base of his throat, dark eyes still coy. Liza Silver-Blue's voice rose as she took command, pushing further as she wondered, “And what if I made you 'choke' on that sandwich you were so interested in? No one will ever know.”

Alendero only smiled, voice strapped as he croaked out, “Because then, you'll never find that dear brother of yours.” He fell to the floor, hand clutching his throat as Liza stood in her chair.

With a sharp glare she leaned over the table and asked, “Where is he!? And how do I know you won't hurt him?” She remained stationary when he held a hand up for help, eventually grasping the table instead to support his weight.

With a wry smile he coughed, taking another long drink. He grunted, again taking his seat and going on, “Well if I told you the threats would continue. When this is all over you'll know. And I have absolutely no plans to hurt a poor doctor breaking the law just to help his 'sick' sister. You have my word he'll be fine. But fed, watered... who will see to it if I don't?”

Liza slowly slid back into her own seat, eyes distant. The waiter slipped by long enough to drop her chicken Alfredo down, eager to avoid the tense scene unfolding. She ignored the food and wondered quietly, “What do you want?”

Alendreo beamed her way, rising from his seat as he let her know, “A healthy working relationship. I want what you want. When it's all over you'll have your brother back, and I hope the will to come clean.”

He tapped the remaining napkin on the table as he let her know, “This is my number. I have a supplier in mind that needs to be dealt with, so we'll talk soon. I trust you can handle the bill dear.”
Thekylekurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #32
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Charr- Beef Stew

Alendreo Rossum- Pulled Pork Sandwich

Liza Silver-Blue- Chicken Alfredo

Poe- Beef Jerky

Cloud- Pizza, unfrozen

Dead Eyes- Beer and Vodka

Dr. Martin- Turkey

The Supplier- ???
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter Nineteen: Some action had to happen sometime.

Poe sat in his quarters going over his supply meticulously, calculating how many days he had left before he'd need to risk amassing more supplies. The infection on his arm had begun to worsen, but it was nothing he hadn't dealt with before. Tonight he would lance and drain the wound, burning it closed with a cigarette when all was said and done.

Always did the trick.

The cry of a raven ruined his peace, sound echoing through the otherwise tranquil night. His fingers found the hilt of his collapsible blade, tattered coat strewn around his shoulders. One of his birds swooped in to rest on the windowsill, black eyes regarding him curiously. He frowned, clutching his weapon tighter while ordering, “Give her the warning.”

He moved quietly throughout the complex, sometimes slipping between walls while keeping an eye out for any signs of unrest. He checked the reception of his phone, frowning at the sight of no bars where he usually kept full service.

The lights cut out as the men began to breach the facility. In the darkness windows exploded in, figures clad entirely in black polymetal armor bursting in at every entry point. Gunfire began to trickle throughout the hallways as one of the Baptize soldiers rounded a corner in time to see steel flash in the darkness before his head struck the floor beside his body.

Poe turned too see others approaching in the twilight, no doubt spotting him in night vision equipped with thermal processing. Their rounds tipped with tracer chips tore into the wall distal to his thin form, soldiers for hire skidding to a stop at the sight of him standing undaunted. Another drew a grenade and cried out, arm disconnected at the elbow as he flowed through the two and ran into the darkness. He ignored the explosion that wracked the structure, seeking the one's leading the raid.

A spotlight caught him off guard, thin form clad in a dark blue getup defiantly blocking his way. With a smile Liza Silver-Blue flicked a finger, his thin form cracking plaster as he hit the wall. She held him there, eyes widening at the sight of him slipping free from her hold. On the ground he looked her way with freshly adjusted eyes and smiled, segmented blade held her way as he approached while taunting, “Surprised? No one can touch me.”

The floor shattered in the wake of a heavy chain crashing down between the two, Poe stumbling back to see another attacker emerging from the darkness. Steel cable retracting into his coat Alendreo Rossum taunted back, “You should really be careful about that mouth. Where's that ice queen partner of yours? We've gotten everyone else, even your boss.”

Poe regained his balance, coy attitude washing over him again. He flicked the weapon in hand, extra foot of sharp steel emerging as he took a step forward and boasted, “I told her not to come. See, I like this. I could play with you and those baptize goons all night!”

With that he dashed forward towards the calm figure, blade buried in Alendreo's jacket screaming as it met the mesh of metal links contained in his clothes. Poe's eyes widened, tremors beginning to overtake him as he stumbled back. Alendero dislodged the weapon, tossing it aside as his chains snaked around his foe's neck. He dripped with poison as he explained, “That's a fascinating ability, Jeremiah. But it's controlled by your somatic nervous system, right? I bet with all those joules running through your body right now you couldn't move if you wanted to.”

He took a knee beside the writhing form with a pained grunt, licking his lips before going on, “See, I made the mistake you just made once, swiping at someone I didn't realize was out of my league. But you're lucky. You aren't going to be left crippled and dying.” A snap brought Poe's hurried breaths to an abrupt halt. Alendreo smiled, chains sliding back into his faded leather jacket as he turned to Liza and wondered, “Aren't you glad I came to play?”
Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #34
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

The last 5 or so chapters won't be on here. Let me know if you want them.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #35
Frent
Elder Statesman

Send a message via MSN to Frent Send a message via Skype™ to Frent

Why won't they be on here?
"A pig's gotta fly." - Porco Rosso
Frent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #36
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter Twenty: Spoiler: Part III contains the end of the story.

Dead Eyes opened the door, distant stare passing through the thin form framed in the doorway. If he could feel the skin of his face beginning to redden and tingle from the subfreezing temperatures exuded from the woman he probably would have jumped back in fright, instead dully joking, “We don't want any.”

Cloud's dark eyes grew fierce, syllables rapidly spilling from her lips as she forced her way past and slammed the door while berating, “I'm here because our supplier just got hit! I need to talk to yours, now.” Dead Eyes swayed aside to let her through, nearly tipping off his feet.

Arm playfully thrown out he followed the appendage clumsily towards the elevators. He pressed the button in, waiting hardly a moment before clicking the switch over and over until the elevator announced its presence with the ring of a bell. Inside the two sat listening to an ancient tune, Dead Eyes pulling a flask from his jacket and wondering, “You aren't cold enough to freeze Vodka, right? Cause babe you look like you need this more than I do.”

She sighed, frost crawling across the metal from the touch of her fingers and she tipped the flask back for a long pull. Barely supporting his weight with the assistance of a railing Dead Eyes whistled, taking the frigid container back and letting her know, “I think we'll get along famously. And, uh, we don't just talk to The Supplier. But I'm gonna take you to see the doctor. She's like, the closest thing we have to a manager. She'll probably be able to help.”

She nodded, following his stumbling gait until the two were outside the doctor's door. Upon entering Cloud paused, auburn eyes flickering over the vital signs monitor blinking red at a bodily temperature reading twenty two degrees. Doctor Martin's hazel eyes widened at the sight, composure trickling back as she held out an arm towards her couch and asked, “Why not have a seat?”

- - - - - - -

Alendreo threw the door open, wrinkled bag of fast food in hand set aside as he checked over the warehouse for any overt signs of entry. Satisfied, he made his way to the bound form of Michael Silver-Blue and asked, “Been holding up okay? I hope the restraints aren't too tight.”

He fished through the bag, producing a hamburger as well as a serving of fries. He placed them on the table, frowning as he went on, “I hope you aren't a vegetarian. I'm going to free your hands now, don't do anything funny because I really don't want to have to feed you by hand, okay?”

From the floor Michael glared at his guard, slowly giving the man a curt nod. Alendreo loosened the leather straps, taking a seat at the table and pulling his own sandwich free. Taking a large bite he spoke through one side of his mouth, going on, “I could've used plastic zip ties, but I know they cut the hell out of people's wrists even when they don't struggle. Don't tamper with your leg restraints, or I'll have to break them out.”

Michael found his way onto the chair, sitting across from the man who'd taken him captive. He looked down at the food presented, apprehensively asking, “Why are you doing all this?”

Alendreo frowned, humming to himself as he swallowed another cheek full of food. As if a light bulb had lit up in his mind he tapped the table, turning around to present Michael with a cup of soda slid across the table. He replied casually, “Because I'm keeping you here for my own personal gain, I may as well treat you as best I can. Plus, you can imagine I don't have many friends. Nice to sit down and eat with someone, like I'm a real person or something.”

Michael took a bite of his hamburger, washing it down with a long drink. Alendreo happily ate, opting instead to eat his fries with mayonnaise rather than ketchup. He wondered if Michael had ever tried it, after noticing his expression at the sight. Instead the prisoner wondered, “I meant, why are you destroying the city, taking me captive. No doubt something to do with Liza.”

Alendreo rocked back in his chair, expression growing darker. He seemed to consider leaving, eyes tracing a path to the doorway as he brought all four legs to the concrete floor. Tone suddenly bitter he answered, “Because I used to do what Liza does, until I realized it wasn't just freaks on the street like me being used. Everyone's in on it, as high as you can look. There is no way to 'fix' it. So I'm going to destroy as much of the supply as I can, until every last bastard tears each other apart trying to get their fix.”

With that he stood, reapplying Michael's wrist restraints. He seemed apologetic as he said on his way out, “I've got some bedding for you, I really hope it doesn't get too cold tonight. If it makes you feel any better, I'll be braving it too.”

/End of part 2
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #37
Frent
Elder Statesman

Ooo, interesting.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #38
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

A Very Bleak Christmas Special!

Dead Eyes sat staring into another time, gray eyes reflecting the undulating red and green lights strewn about the Christmas tree erected in the dinner room. As hard as he tried, no memories of the holiday would populate in his mind, even though he knew there was a time where he wrapped presents and filled stockings. Instead the same old, unwelcome memory replayed. It would be enough to drive him mad, if the images bothered him now.

He didn't feel anything. Instead of lingering on the thought he tipped the bottle in hand all the way up, stomaching what was left of his lukewarm beer. He looked into the bottle and sighed, sinking deeper in the couch. Without a word Charr slid beside him, good hand presenting him a fresh drink he gladly accepted.

The two sat quietly, taking drinks and idly watching a Christmas special play out on the television without any particular interest. Charr waited for Dead Eyes finish his drink, clearing his throat to get the others attention. From his jacket he pulled a silver flask, passing it along as he warned, “Don't get too worked up, I just noticed your old one looks like shit.”

Dead Eyes regarded the flask, slowly taking the italic lettering engraved reading 'You aren't dead just yet.' To his delight he found it filled to the brim with none other than vodka, which Charr refused with a wave of his hand.

Doctor Martin hurried in, again pushing the thin frames of her glasses up her nose as she sat in the recliner beside the couch with a box wrapped in shining blue paper safe in hand. She nervously looked down at her work, holding the present to Charr and saying quickly, “Here you go.”

He frowned, looking down at what he'd got before tearing away to reveal an unexpected appliance. Confusion strewn across his face he glanced at the doctor and wondered, “An electric razor?”

She nodded, smiling timidly as she replied, “Well, I've seen you cut up the right side of your face a few times. Hate to see you get an infection.” She stared in surprise at the small box Dead Eyes let fall in her lap as he got up from the couch, sliding his new container into the black coat sliding down his shoulders.

Charr pulled it out, smiling at the design and replying, “Well thanks doc... I just never really learned how to shave, you know? At least now I'll have my good side ready for pictures.”

Doctor Martin pulled open the box, fresh pair of horn rimmed amber glasses waiting inside. She tried them on, pleased to find them tailored to her prescription as Dead Eyes let her know, “Those should stay on your nose better.”

He left the others in the dining room without another word, idly wandering the hallways for a time. He only paused to drink from his Christmas present, eventually coming upon what he'd been looking for.

Cloud sat facing the cold world outside on the balcony adorning her new room, giving him no welcome as he sat down beside her. Dead Eyes remained as detached as ever while wondering, “What are you doing all by yourself?”

Cloud took a deep breath, hands coming to rest on her knees. She shrugged lightly, letting him know, “I just didn't really feel like one of 'the guys'. I hope it didn't come across as rude, I tend to spend my time alone.”

Her eyes went wide when his hand came to rest on hers, nearly shaking him free as she asked, “Will you be okay?”

Dead Eyes remained absolutely still, frostbite already beginning to trickle through his arm. He offered no warmth or reproach while replying, “You know I'll be fine.” The two sat, watching the snow dance down to embrace the city.

Assured he wasn't going to look anyway, a small smile crept across Cloud's face.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #39
Frent
Elder Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekylekurtz View Post
The two sat, watching the snow dance down to embrace the city.
Love this sentence. Sometimes it's a little forced, but more often than not you really nail descriptive stuff like this and it's great.

Also love the whole guy gift-giving thing. Can't admit to being touched or anything like that; gotta basically grunt or play it cool and be a man. Hell, I play to it too, thought I would prefer not to sometimes. The other day I gave my best friend an awesome gift and told him honestly that it was because his friendship meant a ton to me. He said it was very sweet. Was a great moment, but kinda awkward because it wasn't like "Grunt." "Grunt." "Okay, present given and accepted. Let's go take some shots."
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #40
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Thanks a lot Frent. All and all this and the thanksgiving show more about the characters than most of the story.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #41
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter Twenty-One: Sweet Dreams

The men in white towered over him, staring down at their work with a sort of abject interest. Their pans jotting notes into worn note pads, one took notice of his eyes for what seemed like the first time, voicing his concern, “It looks like 23's coming to.”

Another began to dabble with a bag of intravenous fluid held beside the bed, confidently replying, “Not for long. Last thing we want is for him to recall this.” He turned to look down at the experiment, smile clearly forced as he let him know, “It's going to be okay. If anything, we're going to make you better than you've ever been.”

“That's enough talking to the subject.” A frigid fear seemed to wash over the room, pouring through the scientists all stepping aside to let another man draped in a worn white lab coat slide into view. He stared with the coldest shade of blue imaginable, seemingly staring through the man lying in his wake.

The patient could not move, but if he could any direction opposite of the fearsome gaze would have been best. His eyes suddenly grew heavy again, weight of the world crushing against his mind as the last thing he heard was the man say, “He won't remember this, for his own good.”

Dead Eyes sat up in his chair, gray eyes dancing throughout the room as his lips uttered, “Neo.” Winchester Burst Special in hand he concealed the weapon again, slowly coming to the realization he was all alone. His expression changed as he thought about the scene, wondering why he'd had a dream for the first time in over four years. A new dream, that is.

The voice of the supplier rang over the intercom, seeming more morose than usual despite the electronic filter clutching every word. It announced, “Board room in fifteen minutes.” Dead Eyes shook his head, making his way to the meeting place to find Charr waiting outside his quarters.

The young man looked his way with sharp emerald eyes, offering false praise, “Glad to see you aren't piss drunk this time. You ready for this?”

Dead Eyes nodded, consciousness seemingly still in another world as he wondered, “I suppose. What about you? Have you thought that our supply may run out soon?”

Charr lead the way, shrugging with abandon and speculated, “I do my best not to think too far ahead, clearly. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, or burn it.”

---

Alendreo Rossum stood framed in the doorway, expression distant as he brought Michael a fresh meal. He wordlessly cut the leather restraints, motioning for the other to help himself to the food presented. The two ate in silence, air thick with apprehension as Michael wondered, “Is something going to happen today?”

Alendreo looked up from his meal, reluctant as first to respond. He sat back, arm splayed over the edge of his chair as he replied solemnly, “Today will be the last I'm holding you here. Hopefully at the end of it I'll come back and let you free.”

Michael Silver-Blue nodded, setting his food aside and taking a long hard look at the man who held him prisoner. His expression grew into a glare as he demanded, “Why are you doing this? I know you fed me some bullshit before, but that can't be all.”

Alendreo stared back, setting aside his own food and rising to his feet. He struggled, opening his mouth once before frowning and eventually responding, “I know I can't change the world.
No matter what happens here today, tomorrow people will be abusing the drug all over the world. I'll still be a second class citizen. But I have to do something. I'd rather die for what I believe in then bury my head and pretend it's all okay.”

He stopped before the doorway, stark figure illuminated in the morning light. Gazing sadly at Michael he spoke as the deadbolt slid into place, “If I don't come back by tomorrow, find a way out. Any way you can.”
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter Twenty Two: Plan C begins.

Dark eyes cast over the city washed clean with a fresh layer of snow Alendreo gave Liza no greeting, standing calmly in her office as she'd come to expect. He smiled, watching the Baptize soldiers swarm through the streets and skies in search of the offenders he'd discovered over the last year while posing as one of the city's many homeless.

Liza took to her seat, leaning back and voicing a complaint, “The list you gave me, it's missing a few names.” Her finger trailed down the finalized document, continuing on with, “On a recent operation I encountered a metahuman incapable of dying, and another able to destroy an entire warehouse.”

Rossum hummed, at first showing no interest in her words. He turned suddenly, smiling her way as he said, “You mean Dead Eyes and Charr? I was saving those two for last. To be honest, from what I saw of that fiasco last time I realized your men, even Baptize wouldn't be up to the task. I have a plan, just for them.”

Liza nodded, waving her hand. When he offered no further wisdom she scowled, again recognizing the synthetic tune of N'Sync between her and his thoughts. She growled out, “Care to let me in on your little 'plan'?”

Rossum turned away, tawny hair waving as he shook his head. He again regarded the city with the utmost interest, voice distant as he explained, “I don't care to. Besides, with what little options they have I'm surprised you haven't figured out their plan. They're trying to get someone out of the city... the best course of action is to get all eyes on them now.”

- - - - - - -

“And who would I leave it all to? Doc Martin? She makes enough telling people they're dying.” Charr's voice carried a heavy cloud of steam with every syllable released into the winter air. He continued to argue with his cohort, pointing a finger as he accosted, “Look, if you're never gonna die you might as well have some scratch. Paperwork's done anyway, dick. I'd rather see you die before me but if I don't, just don't give that shit to charity.”

Dead Eyes sighed, shaking his head again. The two moved through the fresh foot of snow obscuring the world, tracking a path towards their destination in the sidewalk. He calmly warned, “I really don't want it, I'll throw it all away.”

Charr shrugged, stopping long enough to allow Dead Eyes to pull open the frigid door leading into Metroze Town Hall. He muttered on the way, “Don't care if you drink it all away, just do something worthless with it.”

The two came to a stop outside the security terminal, ignoring a guard impatiently waving for the two to pass through the metal detector. After a moment he shook his head, passing past the counter and beginning to demand the two state their business. Charr glanced his way, ember flicked from his left hand striking the officer's nose. The man stumbled back, starched blue shirt igniting with a snap of Charr's fingers.

He screamed, second guard turning in time to see the barrel of a Winchester Burst Special fill his line of sight. Hands in the air he happily let his weapon fall to the floor when Dead Eyes told him to. Turning to face the crowd staring back awestruck he held his weapon to the guards head and shouted, “This building is ours! If you'd like to ever eat or shit again I suggest you all find your way to the floor.”

At his side Charr looked back at the shrieking guard on fire, grimacing and waving his burned hand to whisk the flames into oblivion. He turned towards the doors, lance of flames springing free from his arm smoldering the doors closed behind the two. He turned back towards his partner and said, “Well, here goes nothing. I'm gonna go set the roof on fire.”

On the floor as far from the others as she could be, Cloud watched her new team mates separate.

- - - - - - -

Crammed into the back seat of Edward Kayne's '85 Firebird William Grimm frowned, wondering aloud, “So let me get this straight, they're all going on a suicide mission, and we're just gonna book it?”

Edward's sharp eyes glanced between the line of cars separating them and the checkpoint and his noisy passenger. He nodded, nervously letting the kid know, “Yeah, that's exactly what we're doing. And if everyone makes it out safe we'll regroup. Sorry, this line of work isn't as glorious as movies make it look.”

At his side Doctor Martin sat, seat belt wrinkling the fabric of her white coat. Despite not needing to she fiddled with her horn rimmed glasses, missing the habit of pushing the lenses back into place. Her frowned when William demanded, “And their supplier? What'll happen to him?”

Edward shook his head, gripping the wheel tight as he said, “And I thought you were smart. He's right here, with us. Right, doctor?” Beside him Dr. Martin straightened in her seat, offering no reply as Edward went on, “Of course the daughter of William Martin would know how to make the drug. Keeping it a secret from those two all this time is cold, doc. But hey, I'm sure you had your reasons. I just hope you don't care about them as much as you let on.”

In the distance an explosion echoed. The three exited the vehicle, already swept into a mob beginning to form from motorists too panicked by the collapse of Neo Tower to see it was only the roof of the town hall devoured by fire.

Kid strung by his collar Edward pulled him through the mob, voice as jovial as ever as he said, “Don't waste the chance they gave us. It's time we exit stage right.”
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #43
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter Twenty-Three: Who was the bad guy?

Tattered jacket flapping in a sudden gust of wind Alendreo Rossum shivered, metal concealed in his clothes chiming with every ounce of movement. He warily watched Liza Silver-Blue stand indifferent to the temperature, microphone brought to her lips squealing before announcing her dulcet ultimatum, “Let one of your hostages go, and we'll see about offering you safe transport from the city.”

One of the windows facing the street on the Metroze Town Hall opened, pallid figure with dark hair appearing in it. He leaned slightly from the pane, shouting down without a touch of emotion, “No.”

Alendreo shrugged, breath materializing as steam in the air as he said, “I told you that wasn't going to work. Look at the roof. They don't plan on getting out. We only have one plan of attack.” Chains began to erupt from his clothing, Baptize soldiers getting their distance as the steel cords arced out in the air behind him with a swing of his arms.

She found herself listening to poor music yet again as she gently probed his thoughts, sighing before taking a step back. She apprehensively demanded, “What plan do you have in mind?”

He turned to her, disheveled features appearing almost innocent. Weapons poised reaching nearly a hundred feet into the midday air he smiled, simply responding, “ We attack.” He roared, right arm thrown out as his chains whipped past and lashed through the concrete wall forming the city hall.

Liza swore, hand rising to catch the debris collapsing in towards the hostages. A second strike shattered what was left of the wall, crushed concrete haphazardly tossed aside into the parking lot as he caught her breath, eyes fierce as she screamed over the troops surging into the Hall, “You could have killed everyone inside!”

Chains sliding back into his jacket Alendreo looked back as he ran headlong after the men, warning, “And if we don't get in there those freaks will!”

The Baptize soldiers stormed through the building, efficiently clearing rooms and holding hostages as they passed. They trained their weapons on anyone attempting to leave, ordering them to remain until the criminals were detained. One lead with his rifle into a room, finding the weapon torn from his fingertips by a distant looking figure as flames washed over him and into the hallway.

Polymetal armor melting he screamed and writhed, allies stumbling back from the sight as Dead Eyes emerged from the blaze firing. One of the soldiers spun from a round burying itself in his shoulder, stumbling aside as Charr released another tide of fire that engulfed their enemies and trickled into the lobby.

Dead Eyes emerged to find himself thrown to the floor, invisible force crushing him into the stone. Green eyes wide Charr growled, launching a fresh volley of flames towards Liza that was effortlessly diverted to the side.

Charr screamed when a chain tore through him, emerging from the back of his shoulder as voltage began to surge though his body. He stumbled to the floor beside Dead Eyes, tremors dancing through his body.

Alendreo frowned, turning to his cohort as the Baptize soldiers aimed their weapons at the two captured metahumans. He wondered aloud, “Was that too easy? It seemed just a bit too-”

Liza turned his way, hand thrown out whisking him aside as shards of ice flew through the air in his wake. An icicle exploded inches from her face, sharp fragments embedding in her uniform as she was thrown off her feet. From the floor Alendreo looked up and whisked his arm out, links swept across the floor knocking Cloud off balance as well.

He looked back with wide eyes to find Charr smoldering, chains in his arm already molten from the heat as flames began to erupt from his lithe form. Alendreo pointed, voice panicked as he ordered, “Shoot the bastard!”

The Baptize soldiers fired at once, bullets erupting towards the young man encased in fire. Dead Eyes grunted as he threw himself on his companion, rounds tearing into him as Charr clutched the fist of his ruined arm, slamming the appendage against the ground.

In one instant, the Metroze Town Hall was gone. The every inch of the structure was torn asunder by the fire rising into the sky, helicopters circling the building thrown spiraling in the blast wave the followed.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #44
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter 24: Family Ties

The sudden blast in the distance brought Michael Silver-Blue's attention back towards the door of the warehouse. All the boxes inside had offered no options for escape, containing only cereal and oatmeal. He sighed, stumbling to the floor off the mound of crates and shambling over to the old iron doorway.

Even rusted and worn by ages of facing the weather he couldn't force the barrier off its hinges. He slammed his fist into the ancient metal, raw knuckles bringing a new sound to his attention he hadn't caught before. The faint jingle of a steel latch shifting just above the door handle.

He sighed, falling back again the cool frame and sliding to the floor. He grinned wryly, musing that he lived in a world full of people able to destroy whole buildings with a thought, yet a crudely added padlock was all it took to contain him.

If he was anything like Liza he could move that damn latch, even just a few centimeters would be enough. He'd never been like her, though. Never able to stand tall and tell people what to do. Despite what she was, she'd been the one to protect him from bullies back in the day.

Some big brother he was.

Now the worst kind of man was out there, and it didn't take the ability to read minds to know he planned to kill Liza. To leverage his safety to keep her from killing him was one thing, but the only way that man would walk away from this was to strike her down. The thought brought him back to his feet, palms striking the metal keeping from from the outside world again and again without avail.

If only he could move that bolt. He could almost see it, haphazardly screwed into the door at the last minute by someone in a rush to make a prison. An ounce of pressure at the top would turn the lever, and only a few centimeters to the left would force the lock free-

Michael Silver-Blue stumbled forward, door swinging wide open for him to land headlong in the snow outside the warehouse. He stared in shock down at his hands, turning to take in the sight of the padlock he'd been visualized hanging wide open.

In the distance a cloud hung over the city, and he already knew why. With shaking hands he began to fun towards the destruction, unwilling to let his sister sacrifice anything else for his sake.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #45
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Chapter 25: It's the motherfucking climax.

Charr emerged from the wreckage, unmarred hand clutching the left side of his face. Steam drifting from his thin body he stumbled through what was left of the Town Hall over concrete and bodies, only coming to a halt at the sight of another form rising from the rubble.

Blood still seeping from a gash on his forehead Alendreo Rossum forced a smile, grunting in pain and he stood up straight. Chains beginning to snake out of his sleeves he praised the injured young man, “I never expected this, even from you. Wheres your little friend? Did you vaporize the poor guy?”

Charr stood up straight, revealing burned flesh crawling up the left side of his face until it met messy black hair. With his remaining eye he glared at his enemy, beginning to speak until a cough began to tear through his body, nearly throwing him to the ground as he finished by hacking blood up that caught fire in the cold air. Left arm charred nearly beyond recognition he began to emit flames, coyly replying, “Was your plan to wait for me to die?”

Alendreo sneered, chains lashed out cracking across Charr's jaw. The young man faltered aside, adding a tooth to the things he coughed free before straightening to unleash a plume of fire at his foe. Rossum stepped back, jacket on his arms burning away to expose chains wrapped around his appendages blocking his face.

Fire dissipating he smiled wide, links flying through the air slamming into Charr and throwing him spiraling to the debris. Chains thrown high into the air he laughed at the weakened form struggling beneath him, demanding, “Where's all your talk now?! All that power? Is this it?” He brought his arm down, steel cables shrieking down towards Charr's skull.

A gunshot rang out in the cold air.

Alendreo staggered, chain severed inches from his hand limply falling beside Charr in the wreckage. He turned to see Dead Eyes bearing down his way, Winchester Burst Special trained his way. His placid voice carried an emotionless warning, “Stay away from my friend.”

Rossum snorted at the word, left arm swung as another shot echoed in the afternoon air. Sparks danced from his jacket as the bullet met steel, shot still throwing Alendreo back as Dead Eyes fired again. He spun with the round, launching a fresh chain from his coat that flew through Dead Eyes in a spray of blood.

Hand clutching the steel in hand Alendreo smiled as the gun shook in his enemy's hand, all to eager to let him know, “You feel that? I guess there's a current my heart makes every time it beats that lets me do what I do. Thing is, it doesn't agree with anyone but me.” He pulled back, pleased to watch Dead Eyes fall to a knee. He readied another strike and said, “We're all garbage. You're both worth less than even me.”

At his heels a voice quietly reminded him, “Hey, I'm still here.” Rossum looked down in time to see Charr launch a volley of flames at point blank range. Clothing nearly incinerated he screamed, clutching his face when another round tore through his elbow.

What remained of his arm landing on the ground beside him Alendreo roared, whisking away the flames. The chains at his stub tightened, man announcing to the two through gritted teeth, “The best part is, I've still won.” His remaining arm drove a pillar of chains into the ground, ensuing cloud obscuring the man as he vanished.

Dead Eyes ambled to Charr, offering a hand gladly taken as he said, “Let's get out of here.”
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #46
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

That's as much as I'm putting here. If you read and want the rest, contact me.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #47
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Stories over. All on the tumblr. Hope people like it. If you need the tumblr, just ask. It meant a lot more than I thought it would, at the end to me.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #48
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers

Post Script

The theme of this story was definitely tied to my feelings working at a hospital. Seeing people come in just to get drugs can be discouraging, and make it easy to look down on someone I don't know. The characters in this story (mostly) all have a good reason to do what they do, but it doesn't make it okay. In the end, only the ones willing to change their ways survived.

In my opinion, it's a bit about the idea that people can meet any challenge in their life and turn it into something good. If they let whats happened in their life drag them down they become like Rossum, someone ostracized for being different and blaming his own kind for it. In his eyes, if there weren't any metahumans drawing attention to their condition he never would have been treated the way he was, which should be covered in a different story. But characters Like Charr and Dead Eyes, by the end rise above what's happened in the past, and in their own way move towards a better future.

This story takes place about 10 years after another of mine, Wrath. The aftermath of that story is all over the place, from the private military group Baptize, made solely to hunt metahumans to museum displays meant to honor the heroes lost.

There was a few plot points left obscure, like the meaning of Dead Eyes' dream in chapter 21. But that will be covered, in a later tale. A name frequently appears in my stories, of Alexander Neo. If you read my stuff you see him and hear it more and more.

Other than that... There isn't much to say. I grew really attached to the characters prominent in this story, and hope they were likeable. A few took a life of their own by the end.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #49
Standing Freddy
The Best Looking Guy Here

Send a message via AIM to Standing Freddy

I need to go back and read Wrath. Think it'll help me appreciate this one even more. Really enjoyed it man, and can't wait to see what else ya got.
Standing Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #50
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Well, I'm gonna re write wrath in the near future, so whats in the old story may change (not the entire thing, but still there may be a few things different from the rough draft and the final version)
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #51
Standing Freddy
The Best Looking Guy Here

Send a message via AIM to Standing Freddy

Ah, ok. I'll be happy reading both! It'll be like getting the director's cut on DVD a few months after the movie was in theatres.
Standing Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #52
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Gonna need to rewrite stroke too, hahah.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #53
Thekylekurtz
Aka Kyle Dark

Painkillers, an Aftertaste

Aftertaste One: Memories, new and old

Gray eyes watching the world be cast in a lazy white drift of snow from the window of his small one bedroom apartment, Brandon Black sighed. From the bathroom Maria glanced out his way, toothbrush still perched at her lips as she mumbled out, “Somethin’ wrong?”

Brandon, the man one known as Dead Eyes, looked her way and smiled as best he could before replying, “Just thinking about what day it is. Brought back an old memory of Rebeccah.”

At the mention of his daughter Maria quickly spat the white chalky foam into the sink, rinsing her mouth and smiling at the fact the water didn’t freeze at her very touch anymore. Hand coming to rest on his shoulder in the living room she asked, “Want to talk about it?”

Brandon grimaced slightly, explaining nonetheless, “She must’ve been thirteen or so. First time she really cared about boy, I think. I remember she came home from school in tears because nobody gave her a valentine. Such a simple thing, but there was nothing I could do. I felt helpless.”

He paused, taking a long breath before going on, “Then comes a knock at the door. Some kid, freaking six feet tall but only in middle school is standing there all awkward and red. Asks to see Becca. Couple minutes later she’s the happiest girl in the world. Kid was too shy to give it to her at school. Just seeing her smile so wide…”

Silence feel over the two. Maria took his head against her shoulder and held him close as Brandon blinked a few times. He finished with, “I think his name was Freddy. I bet those two would be together now. Who knows, I could even be looking at grandkids...”

Maria Santiago embraced the quietly crying man and watched winter take hold outside. She struggled to find the words she wanted before settling on, “I’m so sorry Brandon. I don’t know if it’s the best time to tell you this, but…”

She enveloped her hand in his, stick left in his palm displaying a simple pink plus sign. Tears still slipped down his face Brandon looked her way with wide eyes, glancing back down at the test in awe. Amber eyes looking down at the test as well she said, “And my temperature was 96.5 today. I think it’ll be okay. Thanks to you I’m better every day.”

He pulled her in close, squeezing her slight frame so hard it nearly hurt. The two remained close for a pleasant eternity, both watching the white washed world. Voice quivering Brandon wondered, “If it’s a boy, could we name him Charles?”

Maria grinned and answered back, “If it’s a girl we could call her Charlene.”