F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Tech Garage

Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
TheResult
TheReturner

Send a message via Skype™ to TheResult
Default Looking to upgrade my RAM/Video..

Aaaaand of course I'm looking to spend not excessive amounts of money.

Unfortunately, I'm not really hardware-savvy, so I'm looking for some help.

This is my PC right now- 1 TB of space, which I'm perfectly happy with.. An ATI Radeon HD3000 video card, which I'm definitely not happy with.. And 4 GB of Memory, which I have less of a problem with, but I'm still looking to upgrade it to 12.

This is the Desktop Memory I'm looking at right now- 8 GB ( 2 x 4GB ). I've seen good reviews for G.Skill memory, and it costs $34, which I don't think is bad? But a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

I'm really not sure where to start looking for a video card. I don't need anything GREAT- but everything looks really expensive. This was the first thing I saw that was cheap, and got a lot of positive reviews.. Most of them say that it plays their games at max settings. But I also see people talking about how the card overheats easily, and.. ehhhh?

( ps. The places I've been looking are Newegg.com and Frys.com )
Old 11-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Ves
The Human

34 bucks isn't really bad or good for the RAM. There are going to be lots of deals in the next 3 weeks though. Is the 4GB a single stick or twin sticks btw?

You might need an additional case fan if the card has cooling problems and you are using a retail case because they generally are designed purely for aesthetics/ergonomics not for actual heavy loads. Fans are cheap.

You'll also need to get a new PSU, that video card notoriously eats a lot of power, and your current PSU is only 300w, I'd poke around for a 600+.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
TheResult
TheReturner

The 4GB is a single stick, as I recall ( I just cleaned the PC out earlier today )- so ( if what I was told is right ) I'd have another space free once I got the other two 4GB sticks. Of course, I have no interest in raising it higher than 12.. I think 12 is more than enough for whatever I'd do.

I don't know much about fans or what would be a good, or preferable fan? A friend told me I could get a "water intercooler" for like $20, but I'm not 100% on that. He said the only problem with it would be "maintenance", and it just sounded like a bit much, to me- like, surely a simple fan would be fine?

Would you suggest a different video card, or do you have any suggestions for PSU that would keep up with the card's power needs?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Ves
The Human

water cooling is overkill for what you have.

In terms of fans/psu, just look for something with good reviews that is affordable, and make sure you have a place to mount the fan(which actually might be a problem with a prebuilt case)
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Ace
Pet?

Both the card and the RAM seem fine, but like Ves said, keep an eye for for sales in the coming weeks, and definitely get a new power supply. They're usually around 70 bucks, and my personal recommendation would be to look for one that's modular, if you can. Mine isn't, and it's one of my biggest regrets, because I have tons of cables just crammed into my case, taking up space and messing with air flow.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
TheResult
TheReturner

Turns out my brother actually has power supplies / fans that'll suit my needs and they work just fine, so that problem kind of took care of itself. I'm also looking at some computer memory right now ( Cyber Monday! ) and I'll probably be buying my 8GB today.

Still looking at video cards, though. I'm not sure what someone told me about "bottlenecking" the motherboard because I can only use certain video cards (?)- but hey this GeForce GTX 280 looks pretty nice. Would this suit my needs, or has anybody seen any other sales that are better today?

edit: A lot of negative reviews saying the card was prone to overheat / pulled a LOT of power ( one review said that it would cause problems if you didn't have a good, namebrand power supply of at least 700 ) so I'm not sure how stable that card is, and I'm ehhh on it now.

Also looking at GeForce GTX 550 Ti right now.

edit AGAIN: I think I'd be better off just sticking in the Radeon family right now. It seems like all these other brands I'm running into require much more power / are more prone to overheat. Looking at the 6770 right now.

Last edited by TheResult; 11-26-2012 at 09:05 AM.
TheResult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Ace
Pet?

I'm running a 6770 right now, and it's great. I can run pretty much every game on high - max settings with very little dip in frame rate.

Bottlenecking usually refers to another piece of hardware slowing you down. Like if you had a super high end video card, but a cheap ass processor or 512MB of RAM, you'd hardly get anything out of the video card because of the low end memory, or some such thing. Motherboard won't really bottleneck you, as far as I'm aware.