F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > F@NB0Y$ > Suggestions

Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Default Daily/Weekly Polls

Basically, the idea is to have a poll on a regular basis asking basic questions.

The idea comes from a board I used to go on many years ago, there was a whole board for it, and it was updated daily by mods, admins, and a few others who were given mod privileges on that one board, with polls asking all kinds of questions.

Not really a big thing, just something I'm throwing out there since I remembered it earlier and remembered liking them. Lots of people would check in every day just to vote and post in the new poll threads.

The idea itself is easily tailored too, it could be daily or weekly, they could be written by few or anyone, it's own board or just occupy another board...
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Seems like an okay idea. Though, you could very easily do it yourself. I'd honestly suggest the spam board (Rantings of Madmen).
Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Eh, I honestly wasn't all that good at making polls back then, and the spam board is so... out of the way, I don't think it'd sustain there.

It's really up to you though, I'm just the idea passer alonger, or something, I loved the threads back then, but believe me, I'd be the wrong choice to do the whole thing, I know from experience.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

It's hardly out of the way. It is by and far the most frequented board.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Default You know why.

Give it a shot, Penkato! Maybe it'll pick up some speed! Then, it can move to its own special place in the forum.

Polls are great for discussion, and might lead to a few rants, so it's not too out of the way. Whaddaya say?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

There's no reason you can't be the one who does it, Penguin. Give it a try.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Well, if it's gonna be me or nothing, I guess I can give it a try when the feeling strikes.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Hoogie
STYLE

So would you start a new thread each week for each poll and keep an archive like we do with art contests or is there a better way of going about it?

I'll be happy to get it started but don't blame me if it ends up being called Hoogie Presents: Hoogpoll Week ## by Hoogie.

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

This is how we did, which really wouldn't work here, but this is it...

Polls board, near the top, all by itself, all the old threads below with the latest thread stickied.

A fair number of people were in charge of making them, and it was pretty much first come first serve, whoever posted the poll first, that was it. Polls were posted daily, and rarely was there no poll that day because there'd always be people willing.

Like any other, it was open to discussion, and really, the limit of who got to post a poll was fairly small, everyone was welcome to PM poll ideas, and anyone the admins / mods trusted enough to give control over the PotD board was able to. They basically got mod rights to the board.

Lot's of things in this wouldn't work here, threads being a daily thing might be a bad idea, people here have actual lives, so I think weekly would be better. Having its own board would be best, but not a main board, something more like the Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft boards.

(Damn PS3 character limit) And..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

... Making people moderators just to give them poll posting privileges probably wouldn't work, I don't have a good idea of how /v/ Bulitian works, but on our board, the only way to ensure threads could only be posted by certain people on that board was a limited mod-ship. There might be a way to limit it a different way, or you might not want to limit it at all and make it open to anyone to make the weekly poll, whatever is best.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
Hoogie
STYLE

Yeah, a daily poll would not work at all here. I do like the idea of it having its own subforum but that's obviously going to be too big a step at this point. It seems to me that the best way is to go with starting a new thread each week and collapsing the rest into an archive thread, since I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of a thread's poll and put up a completely new one.

As for who can post the poll, I'd be happy to do it each week and everyone can PM ideas to me. Or we'll decide on who'll post the poll beforehand. I just don't want multiple polls cropping up at once as another one is finishing.

I really like this idea and I'll try and think of something good to start off with tomorrow. Then we can decide the best way to continue from there.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I can help too, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed doing, but my weakness was coming up with decent ideas for polls. It was elementary school shit like "What's you favorite color."

Yeah, this was early in highschool, but my creativity hasn't really improved much. So if it was JUST me, it'd often be favorite color levels of bleh.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Would... Would it be in bad taste to have a poll with options for the topic of the next poll?

Polls would help with voting in general. Polls for the art contests might be a possibility, but keeping it informal would still be fun. I suppose if an actual contest were brought in, a poll would be a very good way to decide a favourite without a bias, each forum account would be noted when they voted to prevent stacking the votes.

Which brings up a good question, what type of poll software does this forum use?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
Hoogie
STYLE

Polling for poll ideas just seem dumb. I'd much rather have someone pick and choose from other member's ideas. As for the nature of the polls, we wouldn't use them to decide art contests. The art contest works as is and polling for that doesn't make sense.

What I'm thinking is we have something simple that we argue about, like that Waffles vs Pancakes thread we had ages ago.

And sorry Pena, I didn't mean to take over everything. I just get caught up in things and I like being the center of attention and I want to make threads and talk like a game show host.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

No, no, it's fine Hoogie, in fact it's good, I handled introducinb the raw idea, you handled the molding of said idea, we both take responsibility in running the thing once it stops being just an idea. That, to me, is ideal, not just for me, but in general.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
Ves
The Human

I used to do this, it's not hard.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
Beev
Kicker of Elves

Send a message via AIM to Beev Send a message via MSN to Beev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
Waffles vs Pancakes
Waffles, so hard

A good waffle doesn't even compare to any pancake
Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veserius View Post
I used to do this, it's not hard.
I did too, if you read everything, what I lacked was creativity, had nothing to do with it being too much work or anything.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:34 AM   #19
Ves
The Human

the creativity part is easy.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #20
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Creativity is grabbing the pillow and thinking "Oh, god, I shit the bed" when you're actually daydreaming on the bus to school and its your sister's boob.

It's the kind of stuff you say that sticks with people for a long time, the more time dwelt the more creative it was. Maybe.