F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Journals

Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #5071
Mallorie
Songstress

Today at work I ran across the name Jacob Butler and you were literally the first person I thought of after the butler himself.

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #5072
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno

I'm not too sure about these legacies I'm leaving behind.

Photobucket stopped being a dick and we're on the new page so here's a comic

So I talk about how I'm worried about my legacies and then promptly post this. Yeah. Probably not helping.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #5073
Virgo
Let's get dangerous!

Send a message via AIM to Virgo Send a message via MSN to Virgo

You kiddin or what? FE comics are the best kind of legacy to leave behind .

I know you started with Birthright, how does it feel to have to fight your previous allies? And did anything comicworthy happen with Charlotte yet, or with the other Nohr comrades?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #5074
Inferno
Tea and murder

It honestly wasn't too difficult fighting against the Hoshidans. Like it's terrible, but I like the Nohrian allies a lot better from a character standpoint. There weren't a lot of Hoshidans I felt close to, if that makes any sense. Having to hurt Orochi and Oboro was painful, though. Especially Orochi. She was my pal.

I've got a comic sketched out with Benny but haven't finished yet, and a doodle of Ignatius and Forrest that I haven't uploaded. Ignatius is probably this game's Brady. What a cutie.

I found a job that could work for me and that I actually seem to be qualified for. Problem is, it's still part-time and I'm not sure if there'd be a point to taking it, since it's only marginally closer to what I want to do with my life. I'd be switching from a public library to (basically) a historical society library. The other option is to do both jobs, which would add up to full-time work, but that depends on the hours I'd have to work at the new place - there might be scheduling conflicts, and the job announcement didn't post the hours or anything like that. Plus, my gas bill would go through the roof. So, I dunno. But it looks like stuff is slowly opening up in my field. I've got a month before they stop taking applications for that specific one. We'll see where it goes.

Graduation ceremony is tomorrow. I've been done with school for months, but it'll be nice to have that closure. I've got something cool in mind for my mortarboard, or whatever it's called. Stardate: graduation day, 12:13 PM, we're not allowed to decorate them. And this is why I'm currently sitting here wearing a shirt from my undergrad while drinking tea from my undergrad mug.

Last edited by Inferno; 05-06-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: All the pride in my alma mater. Zero pride in my grad school.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #5075
Inferno
Tea and murder

Long picture post ahead. I apologize to anyone who's trying to read this on mobile.

I a Master now. I mean, I guess I've technically been a Master, but it didn't feel concrete until the ceremony. Grad ceremonies are cool, instead of wearing the hood up on stage you carry it up and then they put the hood on you. And the ceremony was blessedly short. There was only one other history graduate that attended, plus my advisor. I'm gonna miss those nerds. Thinking back, our classes had great camaraderie.
When I went back to work on Tuesday, I got congratulated by my coworkers, my boss, and then the head of the volunteer division, who I hadn't even told. I asked, "How many people know about this?!" and she goes "Oh, the whole town."

It was probably a joke. But the library is in a small rural town, so I actually wouldn't be surprised.

Speaking of which, I love my job. For a few months now I've been cleaning off kids' books whenever I have the time. You wouldn't believe how gunky they get. Kids' books are WEIRD and sometimes I give in to the urge to flip through them.

Spoiler for to preserve space:
So, in this one, we got little miss Shirley Temple lookalike grabbing things that start with "I" to shove them in her box. I love everything about this:

-She finds an IGLOO
-In the middle of a FIELD
-She can pick it up with her tiny baby Shirley Temple arms
-It stays together as one solid unit
-She tries to shove this ENTIRE IGLOO into her box

AND THEN

-The sun wasn't out already
-It rises for the SOLE PURPOSE of melting this igloo
-and then retreats after completing its dark deed

Meanwhile, this sun's freaking face

It knows what it did and it's not a bit sorry.

Yesterday I went to a rummage sale to try to sell some of my weeaboo crap. But the weather wasn't great, and most of the people who showed were adults, so I didn't get a whole lot of business. After paying the fees for the space I made about 3 bucks total. Cons oughta have rummage sales. Like the dealer's room, except it's people selling used stuff. Who do I go to about this?

Anyway, some potato-quality doodles from while I was huddled in my car waiting for customers.

Spoiler for long:

The hat I'm wearing? I bought it off a local knitter a few months ago. And then she showed up at my booth because her son wanted something. She recognized the hat. What are the odds, right?

Spoiler for Inferno's Unwarranted Pride Comics:

TIL liking fantasy and fiction makes you uncultured swine? V('_')V After dropping my history-major train on her she was all nice and stuff, talking about an audiobook where these guys traveled the Oregon Trail with mules in 2011, and I was cordial, but holy crap, it felt so good to be able prove her wrong. So good. I'm trying not to bask in the glory, but...it's hard.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #5076
Virgo
Let's get dangerous!

Master Inferno, huh? Sounds so epic . Bask in the glory, hon. You earned it *sassy fingersnapping*.

I'd totally buy that Ouran set off of you if I could play it over here.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 AM   #5077
Inferno
Tea and murder

Last night I was super excited because my dad stumbled across a local full-time archiving-esque job that I might actually qualify for. Today I looked up the position again, and...I felt suspicious. Got a hunch that something was off. So I did some research on the company.

Terrible reviews from former employees. Terrible. There were one or two 5-stars, but the rest were 1-star, with nothing in between. Now I don't know what to do.

APPLY:
-I need a full-time job sooner rather than later, both for independence and to get on my own health insurance plan before I'm 26.
-I meet a lot of the qualifications, which is rare.
-I'll probably get lectured for "making up excuses," "not trying hard enough," "being lazy," etc. if I don't apply, and let me tell you, that gets old fast. (EDIT: Add a definite "waiting for the perfect job to fall into your lap" to the list. Avoiding companies with shit reviews by former employees = being too picky?)
DON'T APPLY:
-Reviews complained of: crappy health insurance, narcissistic jerk of a CEO, negligible training, ill treatment of employees
-I don't want to leave the library if it means I'll be miserable. I'd rather have two part-time jobs if that's the case. (Honestly, if they offered me a full-time position at the library, I would take it in a heartbeat. I've really come to love it there.)

????????:
-I can't tell if those reviews came from people who worked at headquarters or from the branch sites. I'd be working at a branch site, so it might not apply to me. Maybe.

Is it worth taking a terrible job just for the sake of having a job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
Master Inferno, huh? Sounds so epic . Bask in the glory, hon. You earned it *sassy fingersnapping*.

I'd totally buy that Ouran set off of you if I could play it over here.
It's the manga set! I wanted to buy anime DVDs back in the day but gave up because they were too darn expensive. At one point I had about two DVDs of Kodocha and several of Sailor Moon, but quickly realized they weren't worth the cost. I kept only one Sailor Moon DVD and since then I've only bought a few boxsets of series I really like (ex. SuperGALS!).

Last edited by Inferno; 05-23-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #5078
Virgo
Let's get dangerous!

Is it possible to inform about the details for that job? Maybe get in touch with the people who left those reviews, or visit the site and see for yourself? In the end you do have to feel comfortable with your job though. A fulltime job in a crappy environment isn't worth it, believe me.

And I'll have to decline on buying anything frivolous for a while. I just got two letters from the watercompany billing me for the first two years I lived in my flat and they apparantly didn't sent me the final bills for that period . Asshats .
Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #5079
Inferno
Tea and murder

Well, it's too late now, anyway. I may or may not have put off applying on purpose. In the meantime, I found another local full-time job I have a chance at, and so I sent out an application. Whether I get it or not, I'm still going to stay where I'm at until the summer reading program is completed. The last thing they need is for me to drop a train on 'em while the SRP is still going. Chaos, I guarantee it.

......I also might go back to school. Not as a full-time student, though. I'd do the thing where I'm working full-time and then slowly work toward a degree on the side. Library science. There seem to be more jobs there, and it'd make me more marketable to have two degrees, at any rate.

UNIMPORTANT EVENTS IN THE WORLD OF INFERNO:

-For the past two days a barn swallow has done nothing but attack its reflection. Hours on end, there's this constant thumping against the kitchen windows. And then it goes to collect itself or eat or something, and eventually the thumping begins anew. I'm amazed it hasn't suffered brain damage yet.

-After weeks of slogging through class-changing and grinding, I finally have all the Revelations childrens, and let me tell you - Tomebreaker/Gamble Velouria is a tank. Totally worth the long and terrible struggle of training Maid Elise. Totally worth it. (At this point, now that Elise has Felicia's Plate, she's a glass cannon.)
.....I've started calling Ignatius "Iggy" and I can't stop .__.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #5080
Inferno
Tea and murder

Boy oh boy, was Friday ever a day. I'm never going to forget it.

The town where I work has a festival around this time every year, and it kicked off with a parade, which the library participates in to advertise the summer reading program. So we closed early and got our "float" over to where everyone lined up, and the waiting was the worst part. But I got to pet a horse.

Coworker's Daughter: I wanna go ride in the haywagon.
Me: ....This is a hay wagon! *gestures to trailer* It's a wagon, *gestures to bales* with hay. Hay wagon.
CD: This is STRAW.
Me: Oh, well -- excuse ME, Miss Fancypants.

Since I'm one of the younger librarians and I'm in okay shape, I volunteered to walk alongside the float and hand out candy. It was okay at first...but then we started moving way too fast and there were way too many kids and I completely lost sight of our truck, so I ended up just chucking the candy to the sidewalk, screaming stupid things like "I'm sorry! Gotta catch up! Candy from the library! Join the summer reading program! Read books! Have fun! Which way did they turn?!" and eventually I had to run full speed down the town's main street to catch up. I did not sign up for cardio.

Our part in the parade ended around the time we usually close work, but I decided to stick around while it was light out, just to check out the festival. Spent most of my time scouring the used book sale. I ended up leaving town an hour later than usual.
When I got out to the road I've been taking recently instead of the highway, cars were backed up and stopped in exactly the direction I needed to go, coming from - take a guess - the highway. There must have been yet another accident (I bet you money it involved one or more 18-wheelers) that required everyone to be redirected to my usual route, and they were hardly moving. I knew the next stoplight on that road wasn't for another 5 miles or so, so it must have been really congested. I turned around to go back to town and turned the radio to the station I usually use to check traffic, but the reception kept getting crappier and crappier, so I gave up.
Eventually turned into a grocery store parking lot and set up my GPS, hoping and praying that my low battery would hold out for the 40-minute trip home. I set out on a completely unfamiliar, twisty, turny back route.

It's hard to explain Pennsylvania back roads if you don't live in Pennsylvania or a similar rural, wooded, hilly state. Imagine you're smack in the middle of the woods. Now imagine the terrain isn't flat, but full of hills and dips and such. NOW imagine a road going through the woods, following the hills and dips, but turning in no particular pattern that you can discern. And then add the slow approach of total darkness on top of that.
FUN TIMES.
There were a few houses here and there, the occasional farm, but mostly there wasn't much sign of human activity. At one point I imagined a serial killer or something jumping out of the woods and somehow getting me, despite, you know, being safely inside the medium-sized metal death tank that is my truck. Meanwhile, my iPod was playing a Rammstein song about a kid killing his piano teacher, so that just added to the overall mood of things.
I felt like I was getting nowhere, even though the remaining time on my GPS kept decreasing...slowly. Occasionally the bars on my phone dipped to almost nothing, and I worried that my phone would crap out before I got somewhere familiar. Then I saw a deer and realized it was that time of night already, so I'd better slow down, because when there's one deer, there's usually more. Sure enough, I spotted another deer eventually, and kept myself on the alert for a while.

Then a bat hit my windshield.

Somehow I wind up on the top of a freaking mountain, still have no idea where I am, have to navigate a roundabout, then go down the mountain, which is so steep that it's got those "TRUCKS OVER [whatever size] USE LOWEST GEAR" signs. And for probably the third or fourth time that night, I'm thinking I'm gonna die.
Finally I start seeing road names I recognize, and then I reach an intersection I'm familiar with. I get home, pull into the garage, park the car, finally relax, and look at my dash before turning the key.

My total mileage?

Icing on the cake.

Have some FE comics.

Spoiler for pictures:

Behold! A male Avatar! His name is Alecto.
I am convinced this would actually happen

An idea: female Kana rolls around after the war because they wanted the actual parenting experience instead of the whole Baby Realm thing. And for some reason, Dwyer is her favorite person.
Also, all three of them inherited Jakob's weird vampire teeth
Old 06-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #5081
Virgo
Let's get dangerous!

I let Jakob hook up with Nyx in my Conquest file and I can't take Dwyer seriously becasue I keep seeing L. Who approved that design XD.

If you get the chance, get Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Got mine in the mail last Thursday and am now in the second dungeon. It's so Japanese and colorful and it looks amazing and aaaah. It's so good.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #5082
Inferno
Tea and murder

It has been a month since I wrote in this, holy crap.

But, uh, there's really not much to report. For a while we thought Link and I both had a chance of getting a job out near my dad's relatives, but hers fell through, so. Back to the drawing board.

The idea is that the three of us (me, Link, and her sister) are going to get full time jobs and live together. Which would be GREAT if we can actually get to that point. They also got a kitten recently, and he's coming with them when they move out. Bad news is I'm still allergic, but the good news is that for some reason, I don't react nearly as much to the cats in their house? I have no idea why. I've never had that bad of an allergic reaction there. My throat just gets a little sore, that's it. I figure if we all live together and they bring the cat, I'll just have my room be a cat-free zone. The other good news is that the kitten has accepted me. I visited a few weeks ago and he fell asleep on my foot. (I still want a rabbit someday, though, and I have misgivings about having a rabbit in the same house as a cat.)

The other problem with job-hunting right now is that one of my coworkers is retiring, another coworker got promoted to her position, and we're looking for another part-timer. And if I would get something elsewhere, I don't want to dump my departure on them while we're still dealing with this. It'd be too much for our little library to handle ;7; It might actually implode, lol. But in about a month, I'll have worked there for a year, which is cool.

I've played a lot of games this past month. I finally beat Fates on the 4th and enjoyed every minute of the final boss. Afterward I felt a little empty since I'd spent MONTHS on that game. Pokemon Go came out, but that was still in the early stages and it was glitching a lot, so I went to A Link Between Worlds. Since I was on vacation, I finished it in a week.
I beat Danganronpa maybe a week ago and finished School Mode yesterday. I gotta get the rest of the series...I also started P3P last night. Even though it's my first time playing it, I couldn't help myself and chose the girl character. The allure of dating Shinjiro was too strong. It was nice to see Creepy Death Child again. To my surprise, when Ikutsuki showed up, I instinctively recoiled. Interesting...

PGO has been fun when I can actually get out to play, which isn't often because of my work schedule. Midday/afternoon is hot and humid enough that I'd get sweaty before work and have very little time to shower (etc), and when I get home it's already dark. Rain has ruined a few of my planned outings, too.
I haven't done much with gyms yet. I can't get the hang of the battle system.

Recently I got these sweet glasses to block blue light from the computer. Supposedly it's bad for your eyes, and not just because of the whole melatonin thing. Ever since I started using them, I haven't felt as much eye strain. I recommend it if you spend long hours at the computer.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #5083
Inferno
Tea and murder

Recently some archivist positions opened in the city. Right now it's my best shot, so I jumped right on it. They asked for my transcript, which is probably a good sign, but I haven't heard from them since.

Meanwhile it's become impossible to put off my return to education. I'm still, unfortunately, dependent, so it's not like I have much of a choice in the matter. Until now my parents had been pushing for me to at least start a Master's of Library Science degree, with the idea that I wouldn't necessarily have to finish it if I did get a job, but Farmer Brown (yes, I'm still using this analogy) suggested getting a post-graduate certificate instead, which is a LOT more manageable, more practical, more specialized, and less intimidating/soul-crushing. So now I'm looking into those.

Not much else going on. They have me mending stuff at the library now, though, which I like. I get to fix things! I get to doctor them up and extend their lifespan! I get to sit in the back and watch DVDs and listen to audiobooks to make sure I buffed 'em properly. It's definitely one of the better parts of this job, haha. I even broke out my old personal CD player for when the computer is taken. Haven't used it since around 2005 and it still runs like a dream. <3
Old 09-23-2016, 04:54 AM   #5084
Mallorie
Songstress

You're preserving history! You're a hero! And holy cow, you've haven't used it since 2005? How long have you had it?

I hope you hear back about the archivist position!!

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #5085
That Pooka
Orange you glad

That is a fine accomplishment! I wish I could say the same for my record player, or my Teddy Ruxpin, or my first CD player. At least my iPod still works after a decade+.

I'm curious. What percentage of these restorations were donated and how many were issued to your library before being owned?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #5086
Inferno
Tea and murder

Was denied the archivist position in the most clerical fashion. But at least they got back to me instead of leaving me in job-hunting limbo \_(ツ)_/

I've been doing some research, and if others' real-life experience is any indication, the possibility of my getting a job in public history is slim to none. There's a lot of competition and too few positions. So now I'm thinking I gotta look for some other kind of job, but I don't even know where to start. And job-hunting sites haven't exactly been very helpful so far.

Me: I'm looking for jobs in the field of public history. Historical societies, museums, that sort of thing. Maybe even research libraries or something.

I wish I was exaggerating. This is what happens when you live in Truck Hell.

And so, it's affecting my motivation for work. Current outlook: Shadow Teddie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Pooka View Post
I'm curious. What percentage of these restorations were donated and how many were issued to your library before being owned?
I should probably clarify. I don't JUST do mending. I mend stuff about once a week - let a big pile build up and then spend an hour or two mending. I'm still mostly doing circulation stuff.
As for used donations vs new stuff, I really don't know. The volunteer division goes through donations to see which ones might be worth keeping, and my boss and coworker buy new things. My guess is that the majority of our items were purchased new.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #5087
Inferno
Tea and murder

In the interest of not clogging up Discord, I've decided to type up my PAX airport nightmares here instead. As promised, here you are:

INFERNO'S BULLCRAP AIRPORT ADVENTURES 2017

PART 1: JANUARY 25

Spoiler for Chapter 1: In which I get molested by TSA:
I am a small person. I lose a pound and suddenly my pants no longer fit right. So, I wear this thing that you secure to your back belt loops. It's like half a belt. Going through airport security, I had to take it off to run it through the X-ray, because there's metal in it. I went through the body scanner and, surprise, it detected something around my hips and crotch. So I got...patted down? By another woman, thankfully. I came out clean, of course, and learned that the scanner just doesn't like baggy pants. Go figure.

Spoiler for Chapter 2: Hope you like the tarmac:
We boarded the plane as scheduled, everything was fine, and then, someone noticed some hydraulic fluid on the ground! The hydraulic system - which is super important - was leaking, oh no! So we sat there (and sat there, and sat there) while they went to fix it, only.....there was no leak at all? It turns out everything was fine. But they ran a crapton of tests anyway. Two hours later, we were about to take off, and then they found a loose screw. So they had to fix that yet. Finally, finally, we took off...but at that point, I was basically convinced I was going to die. To make matters worse, it was my first time flying alone. So my stress level was pretty high until we got to use electronics again, and I listened to some music. The second season magical boys OP was what finally calmed me down. Stupid, I know, but whatever works.

Spoiler for Chapter 3: Too good to be true:
My connecting flight was in Atlanta. I originally had about 2 hours in between the first plane's arrival and the second plane's departure. Naturally, that layover time was taken up by all the mechanical shenanigans. So I fully assumed I was going to miss the flight to Dallas. However, by some miracle, when we arrived, the flight there was delayed by just enough time for me to make it. And I did, and it was great, and the flight had no problems.
I arrived in Dallas, where Dogma was going to pick me up after work, and got an email...from Delta...that my bag hadn't arrived "as intended." I went to baggage claim and found the help desk, and basically what happened is that while I was able to make that flight, my bag was not able to, so it was going to arrive on the next flight, which would get in around 10: 30. It was maybe 6:00-6: 30 when I found this out?
I sat in baggage claim and waited for Dogma, who was stuck in awful traffic. Then he arrived, we got snacks at Wal-Mart and stopped at Best Buy for something, went to his house, his parents were nice and his dogs loved me, then we went back out for the bag, and long story short, we ended up eating Steak 'n Shake at midnight while playing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven.

Little did I know that was all small potatoes compared to what awaited me on the return flights.

PART 2: JANUARY 29-30

Spoiler for Chapter 1: Violent at Large:
Mal drove me to the airport since it was on the way to her boyfriend's house. I finally got all my crap together, printed my boarding passes, went through checked luggage, everything was fine, got in line for TSA, when suddenly I realized...

I'd forgotten to put my self-defense keychain in my checked luggage.

I quickly went through the options in my head. Throw it away? No, that would do no good - what's to keep someone from fishing it out of the garbage and going on a stabbing rampage? That was out. Go back to the checked luggage place? No, my bag was long gone. Ain't no getting it back. I decided honesty was the best policy and put it in the bin with the rest of my crap.

It went through the X-ray without any problems. Now, I could have tucked it away in my bag and probably avoided all this mess, but 1) if some cop happened to see me pocketing it, I probably wouldn't be here typing this up right now, and 2) I wanted to be absolutely sure it was okay. So, I handed the keychain to a TSA agent, and asked if it would be a problem. She looked at it, and she said, "That IS gonna be a problem." She took it away for a bit, I stood there like a moron, and about 5 minutes later they summoned me over to the desk, where they took my boarding pass and driver's license and asked me basic identity questions, and the one lady pulled out an "incident report" binder, and at that point I realized I was probably in WAY more trouble than I expected.

Lady: (talking to someone else) something something, 'cause it's illegal in Texas.
Me: It's ILLEGAL here??!?
Lady: Yeah. Counts as brass knuckles.
Me: (athena-cykes-PTSD.gif)

I must have stood there sobbing frantically for a full 5 minutes (though it felt longer) before some other TSA agent decided to come over and tell me this was all normal protocol and I wasn't going to be arrested. Everything around me felt blurred, except for the guy on the phone describing the keychain. My cat ears in a dog dish, cops coming over to survey, it was horrifying. They finally let me go after asking a few more questions, but there's a distinct possibility that I might have to come back all the way to San Antonio for a court date. No joke. Also, they told me I was going to be considered "violent at large." I'm really, really hoping that my turning in the keychain myself will help my case, but I'm also not very confident. Even if the judge is like "this is ridiculous" and throws out the whole thing, I'll probably be pulled aside for extra screening every time I fly into Texas now.

From "scrawny nerd" to "violent at large" in 30 minutes flat.

Spoiler for Chapter 2: Fasten your seatbelts:
The flight to Detroit left as scheduled. The flight from Detroit to home was also on schedule, so they said. PAX guy next to me, two PAX guys behind me, two more behind me and to the left. I was getting used to this whole airplane thing, and thought, hey, maybe soon I'll be over my fear of planes entirely.

And then, turbulence.

I sat there crying.

The flight eventually evened out. We flew through a snow cloud, and when the lights on the wing flashed, the sky looked like TV static. So that was kind of cool. And we landed...and sat there....and sat there...and found out that all the gates were occupied, so we couldn't get in. And we continued to sit there. And as people got back on their phones, we learned that while we were in the air, Delta's computer systems suddenly went haywire and all their domestic flights were grounded. Joy!

Spoiler for Chapter 3: Stranded in Detroit:
I headed right to the gate for my connecting flight, but the airplane had already pulled away from the accordion walkway thingy. So I returned to a help desk. Lots of walking involved, and for some reason, all the airport signs had Japanese subtitles. Maybe Detroit has a large Japanese population? Anyway, I waited, and waited, and after 45 minutes we'd only moved by 3 people. I saw someone scan their boarding pass at a thingy and get something printed out, so I went to investigate. It showed you if you'd been rebooked, and when your flight was leaving. I scanned mine in, it came up with the same gate, leaving in...10 minutes. I ran back to the gate, only to find that the airplane was disconnected with the walkway again. (Now I think it was probably the same plane and they were just sitting there for a while, but at that point I thought they were two different planes and I'd missed it twice.) So I returned to the line. On the way back, I called my workplace and left a message, because I knew my best-laid plans had been shot and there was no way I'd make it to work on Monday. Shortly afterward, a flight arrived and the line tripled in size, so I decided I wasn't about to leave that line again.

After more than an hour, I finally reached the help desk and asked to get a flight to one of three places (one nearest my hometown, two others my parents said would be easier to get to). The guy called someone up, and I learned my flight home had literally just pulled out. Again, I thought they were three different flights that I'd missed the same way all three times, so I had to try really, really hard to keep it together, but my voice was breaking. They gave me a few options, and I chose a flight to Baltimore at 7 AM, since the other options involved me going to hotels and I was not about to leave the airport in frickin' Detroit. I was given a blanket and an overnight bag, and at around 2 AM, I went to the gate they listed to hunker down for the night. In an attempt to get some sleep, I took some medicine. It wasn't super comfortable, but I was able to use my hoodie as a pillow, and I even had something to cushion my hip and rib bones - I'd won a Loot Gaming box in a raffle at the Gunnar computer glasses booth, and one of the items was a towel, still folded up. (I'd hoped to win the extra pair of glasses to give to Dogma, but the box I got ended up being pretty useful...)

I don't think I ever actually got to sleep, but I got a little bit of rest, and at around 5 I sat up to check the monitor. My gate had changed, so I headed in that direction. The shops had opened back up, and my phone was nearly dead, so I bought a yogurt, a portable power bank, and a cord before going to the new gate and hunkering down again. When things got a little noisier, I got up and people had arrived for the flight to Baltimore. I honestly don't remember a whole lot about that flight, except for a baby crying. I think at that point I was staying awake by adrenaline alone. Adrenaline and almonds.

Spoiler for Chapter 4: Who Needs Luggage Anyway:
I arrived and made my way to baggage claim since I'd volunteered to check my duffel bag. My mom was there waiting for me and she looked like death, as I'm sure I did since we both effectively pulled all-nighters. We drove all the way back to the usual airport to get my bag, which......wasn't there. Naturally. The help desk said it was kind of...lost? and might arrive on the next flight from Detroit. So we decided to wait around, but then it turned out that flight was delayed, so we grabbed sandwiches at Subway, and it was the first actual meal I'd had since probably Saturday night. And the flight came, and the bags came, and mine was not among them! I kinda gave up on life and laid down on the floor for a little bit. I no longer had the energy to be socially appropriate. At least until my mom chastised me for it. We went back to the help desk, which asked for details on what the bag looked like, and they said they would look for it and have it delivered to the house, and then we went home.

I had some tea, showered, brushed my teeth, and went to sleep at 3: 30 PM. I'd meant to sleep for a few hours, be awake for a few hours, and then sleep through the night, but my body was like "nope" and slept till 10 PM. I was up for about an hour, took my magnesium supplement, and went right the fug back to sleep. Slept till around 9 this morning. So, around 17 hours of sleep. And I'm still feeling a little weak...

But they found my bag and delivered it about an hour and a half ago.

The long and arduous journey is finally over...unless I have to go to court. \_(ツ)_/

Last edited by Inferno; 01-31-2017 at 09:35 AM. Reason: catface
Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #5088
FenixAiur
JIMMY THE ROBOT!

Send a message via MSN to FenixAiur Send a message via Yahoo to FenixAiur

Violent at large. Texas changed you, Inferno.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #5089
Virgo
Let's get dangerous!

Is it bad that I had to laugh? Its just so ridiculous like what the hell. Geez, I hope everything works out okay, I'm sure it will. At least you had fun at PAX an got to hang out with everyone.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #5090
Mega
No-Fo You.

Remind me not to fly with you.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #5091
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Dogma Send a message via MSN to Mr. Dogma

I know right? Bad luck charm.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:36 AM   #5092
Nami
ナミ