F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Gaming > Consoles

Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Tombstone
Famous Royalsguardsman

Default Dragon's Dogma

Game coming out in May for PS3 and 360. Thought I'd make a topic because it looks sweet as hell. And since I'm lazy, I'm just to shamelessly copy this Something Awful thread.

Quote:

RELEASE DATE: May 22, 2012 (US) May 25, 2012 (EU)
SYSTEMS: Playstation 3, Xbox 360

GAMEPLAY, or, Dark Elder Monster Souls Scroll Hunter
Dragon’s Dogma is touted as a “Western-style” open-world RPG. What this means for you is that there’s a vast living, breathing world out there for you to explore. The world is seamless, meaning that if you can see it, you can go there. The main city hub boasts a population of 200 NPCs who, like in several modern Western RPGs, go about their daily business and move about the world on their own schedules.

Your character in the world of Dragon’s Dogma is known as The Arisen. In the prologue of the game you have your heart ripped out by some rear end in a top hat dragon, and set out to get it back. When playing, you will gain experience towards your character level as well as separate experience toward your class Rank. You can switch classes whenever you please; you could be a level 7 character, a Rank 3 Fighter and a Rank 2 Mage. You will be able to alter the gender and appearance of your Arisen with the game’s extensive character creation system. Unlike other RPGs that allow for character customization, your appearance will have real effects in the game. If you choose to make your Arisen a fatty, he’ll be able to carry more items and equipment but he’ll expend more stamina when moving and he’ll be slower. If your Arisen is tall and lanky he’ll have longer reach with his sword, but he’ll be a bigger target for monsters to hit.

The main draw of the game is getting up close and personal with huge monsters from Western mythology. Monsters roam the land freely, so you’re likely to run into a Cyclops or Chimera while out exploring. A feature that Capcom has been touting is the ability for you to climb monsters, Shadow of the Colossus style. By climbing monsters, you can potentially gain access to their tender bits and dish out some heavy damage until you get shaken off. You can grapple with smaller enemies, like holding down a goblin so your allies can stab him or hitching a ride on an unsuspecting harpy. The grab command can also be used to launch your allies onto a monster or out of harm’s way or off a cliff. Monster parts, along with plants and minerals collected out in the game world, can be used in crafting to strengthen your equipment.

PAWN SYSTEM, or, What Do You Mean There’s No Multiplayer?!
One gameplay feature that has drawn criticism from those looking forward to the game is Dragon Dogma’s lack of multiplayer. For whatever reason, perhaps to differentiate the game from Monster Hunter, Capcom has decided to build the game as a completely single-player experience. But, that’s not to say that you’ll be fighting alone.

The Pawn system is Dragon Dogma’s answer to multiplayer. The idea is simple: you will hire other adventurers called Mercenary Pawns to accompany you on your quests and fight monsters with up to 3 NPC assistants. Early in the game you will be assigned a Main Pawn, who will be your BFF throughout the game. You are given the ability to customize your Main Pawn to the same extent that you’re able to customize your own character: appearance (which affects stamina, reach, etc), class, skills, the works. You will be able to change your Main Pawn's class, though not the class of any Mercenary Pawns you hire. Although you can assign your pawn basic strategies to execute during a fight, he’ll also learn on the battlefield. The more monsters you tackle with your pawn, the more he’ll grow to understand how you conduct yourself in battle and react accordingly. For example, if your pawn notices that you like to hang back and shower monsters with arrows, he might start trying to distract enemies from you so you have a clear shot. Your pawn will also remember tactics that were especially effective against certain enemies. During your second encounter with a Griffin, your pawn may shout out to remind you that a fireball to the Griffin’s wing seemed to do pretty heavy damage. Or, when entering a new area your pawn could recall information from when he visited the same area in another player's world.

So how is this anything like multiplayer? Despite not being able to cooperate with your fellow adventurers online, Dragon’s Dogma uses your Main Pawn as a way of interacting with the worlds of other players. When you’re not playing the game, your Main Pawn will be sent to "The Rift" online and other adventurers can choose to recruit him temporarily as a Mercenary Pawn. When you boot the game back up, you may find that your pawn has had some adventures of his own, and has gained experience and new battle tactics because of it. He will also bring back Rift Crystals, which are used to rent other pawns from The Rift. Other players can assign your Main Pawn an Appearance Rating and his Battle Rating that will be seen when trying to rent him, so you’ll want to make sure he’s in top shape before sending him online. Higher level pawns will be more expensive to rent, but will obviously be more helpful. To help promote your pawn, Dragon’s Dogma can push content to your Facebook wall, Twitter, and other social media sites along with a screenshot of your pawn, asking your friends to hire him.

VOCATIONS, or, A Fancy Word for “Classes”
The game includes 9 classes, called “vocations.” You’ll start the game with a basic vocation, which can be advanced as you gain experience in your vocation. As you level up you will gain skill points which can be used to purchase new abilities.

Starting vocations
FIGHTER

The game’s basic sword-and-board vocation, the Fighter has a good balance of offense and defense and uses a one-handed sword and shield. Dragon Dogma’s Fighter is a bit flashier than your meat-and-potatoes fantasy Fighter. The class’ abilities were developed by Capcom staff who worked on Dante’s moveset from the Devil May Cry series, so you’ll see plenty of stylish swordplay (including Dante’s signature Stinger move). Aside from acting as a damage sponge, the Fighter can further support the group by launching party members into the air to tackle airborne enemies.

STRIDER

The Strider is quick and acrobatic, just as you’d expect from any rogue/thief character. One feature that sets them apart from the other base vocations is that they have a massive amount of stamina, which allows them to grapple with smaller enemies and climb larger ones with ease. The tradeoff for this high level of maneuverability is that Striders have relatively low attack power, and instead deal damage by landing small hits in quick succession. They wield dual daggers and a shortbow, and are particularly effective against airborne enemies such as harpies and griffins. With skills, Striders can specialize in thievery and flurry attacks that land several blows on the enemy at once.

MAGE

You probably already have a pretty good idea of what Dragon’s Dogma’s Mage can do just by guessing. The Mage is a pretty standard affair, with a good balance of offensive and support spells. On the attacking side, he’s can freeze enemies with blasts of freezing wind and set enemies on fire with walls of flame. Supportively, the Mage can cast curative incantations to keep his party members alive, as well as enchanting his allies’ weapons with elemental properties. The Mage also has the ability to levitate to remove himself from harm’s way.

Advanced vocations

Advanced vocations are basically evolved versions of the Starting vocations. They do everything that their respective Starting vocation does, but the strengths and weaknesses are polarized.

WARRIOR

The Warrior is the Fighter on steroids. While he starts off as purely an offensive powerhouse, the Warrior develops defensive skills that will bind and topple even the largest of monsters. Although he lacks the agility and range of the Ranger, the Warrior can take and dish out massive amounts of damage in melee.

RANGER

The advanced version of the Strider loses some of his potency in melee in exchange for unrivaled expertise in ranged combat. The Ranger has a variety of special shots, some of which are highly damaging while others only inflict statuses upon enemies. Rangers can control enemies by pinning them to a wall with a well-placed arrow, or stun monsters with a deafening blast of sound upon the arrow’s impact.

SORCERER

Hailed as the strongest vocation in the game by the director, the Mage’s big brother can put out huge amounts of elemental damage from a safe distance away from monsters. As he develops, the Sorcerer will gain a variety of area-of-effect spells that inflict status conditions on groups of monsters. The trade-off for the Sorcerer’s huge damage potential is that his abilities take a huge amount of time to cast in relation to the other magical vocations.

Hybrid vocations
Hybrid vocations combine the pros and cons of two Starting vocations. Not much is known about these classes at this point because they haven't yet been officially recognized.

ASSASSIN

Strider + Fighter. The Assassin sacrifices even more defense for a boost in attack power, and is given additional bonuses at nighttime.

MYSTIC KNIGHT

Fighter + Mage. The Mystic Knight has a variety of support spells, and can dish out elemental damage from behind his shield.

MAGIC ARCHER

Mage + Strider. The Magic Archer stays behind the frontlines and bombards enemies with elementally enchanted arrows.

MONSTERS, or, Big Things You Can Murder

GRIFFIN

CHIMERA

HYDRA

CYCLOPS

GOLEM

DRAKE

WHERE SHOULD I PREORDER?, or, What’s This Dragon poo poo That Came With My Resident Evil 6 Demo?
Yeah, this bullshit again. Preordering Dragon’s Dogma at different locations will get you different bonuses that admittedly don’t seem to amount to much. Rather than giving you exclusive content, these Upgrade Packs will start you off with higher level items, making the start of the game easier. The general consensus is that these are all pretty "meh," so feel free to preorder wherever you like. No matter where you preorder, you’ll be given early access to the Resident Evil 6 demo. The download will be available on June 3 for Xbox 360 and on September 4 for PS3.

Amazon: Weapon Upgrade Pack, starts you with higher level weapons
Best Buy: Armor Upgrade Pack, starts you with higher level armor
Gamestop: Pawn Upgrade Pack, starts you with more Rift Crystals which allow you to rent higher level pawns

The game will be launching with a Limited Edition in Japan which includes a statue of the titular Dragon and a couple bookmarks. It will also contain DLC codes to nab you some gear from the Berserk manga, which will also be available outside Japan. It hasn’t been announced whether the rest of the Limited Edition will be available in other regions yet, but stay tuned.

DEMO, or, 20 Hours of Character Customization: The Game
A playable demo of Dragon’s Dogma will be released at some point prior to the game’s release on Xbox Live and PSN. The demo will include two scenarios: one where you’ll play as a Fighter versus a Chimera, and the other where you’ll play as a Strider versus a Griffin.

The main draw of the demo is that you’ll have access to the game’s customization system before the game launches. You’ll be able to create your playable character and your Main Pawn, and import them to the full game when it launches.
There's more images in the topic, but we have a image limit here so I couldn't include em all, so i just left the monsters, so feel free to check the SA thread for em. I am incredibly hype though, and this game looks sweet.

Also, you get the RE6 demo if you pre-order, for anyone who cares about that.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

All I've heard about this game is people making fun of it.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Might be cool, have to try the demo.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

looks like a pretty game.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Dogma Send a message via MSN to Mr. Dogma

Well, the pawn thing certainly seems ambitious and will likely end up pretty much nothing like that. I can only hope it's not as bad as the companions in Skyrim.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Nuva
yes i vape

See, I thought this was like, a Europeanesque of Monster Hunter, which strikes me as very Asian-y, which excited me because Monster Hunter is great.

And later I learned there was no co-op.

I am so disappointed at the missed potential, but if a demo's coming out, I'll give it a try. These kind of games are what I'm usually into, anyhow.

Edit: Alright, so I'm heavily interested in this game now.

Last edited by Nuva; 03-20-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Nuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Nuva
yes i vape

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I WANT THIS

BERSERK PROMOTIONS

And that video I posted? The guy said this was a hybrid of Dark Souls and Skyrim in terms of aesthetics.

I found my next addiction!

A game where going out is always an adventure? Where night is dangerous and frightening?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Edit: Fucking Capcom okay I want this

Last edited by Nuva; 03-20-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
KeroroCanti
Hot Dog Patrol

Send a message via MSN to KeroroCanti Send a message via Skype™ to KeroroCanti

I was initially unsure about this, but willing to gamble on it and get the RE6 demo as a bonus. Now I KNOW I want this.
KeroroCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Ves
The Human

Why didn't they use the Breath of Fire IP for this?
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

It has my name in it. I have to get it.

Also having watched them videos, I've gone from "Not even remotely interested" to "I need to see more so I can decide if I want to litter my room with more big ass dragon statues by getting the limited edition".

And now I'm second guessing if I wasn't charmed by that accent. It does look interesting though.

Last edited by Mr. Dogma; 03-20-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Mr. Dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Nuva
yes i vape

I am falling in love with this game the more I see of it.

Get hype!

I wonder if the companions will exchange banter? That would be nice if, you know, they had personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dogma View Post
It has my name in it. I have to get it.

Also having watched them videos, I've gone from "Not even remotely interested" to "I need to see more so I can decide if I want to litter my room with more big ass dragon statues by getting the limited edition".

And now I'm second guessing if I wasn't charmed by that accent.
I know, right? You really need to see the game in motion for that first impression of blandness to melt away.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

Yeah when I initially saw shots of it I was like "Eh, just another fantasy RPG". I got a little more interested when I saw the enemies, how big they are in comparison to the player, and the other stuff like how they fly and you can climb the bigger ones and other such stuff. I do really like that enemies actually look dangerous.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Mr. Dogma
I've had better

I want this more and more the more I see it. More.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Ace
Pet?

If I can be Guts I'm more interested in this game now. It looked cool already, but yeah. I need to look into this some more.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
Nuva
yes i vape

Christ, this is looking better and better the more I see of it

Sooo excited

Spoiler for Big:

Last edited by Nuva; 03-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
KeroroCanti
Hot Dog Patrol

dat lich
Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
Nuva
yes i vape

HERE, HAVE THIS TRAILER THAT'S HORRIBLY DONE. (At least to me, I can barely hear the dialogue)

Pawns might have personalities! GOOD.

You know, the first time I saw the intro cutscene in the stream, I swear to God I thought the dragon was speaking in Spanish, but I guess it was Japanese? Regardless, he sounded a lot more intimidating than in English.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Oliver

I've now decided upon making snake and otacon as my characters.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
KeroroCanti
Hot Dog Patrol

I will make Nicolas Cage and a second Nicolas Cage.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #20
Nuva
yes i vape

Oh right, Berserk content is on disc and will be coming to America. Knowing Capcom it will be disc DLC but until it's out, it's anybody's guess.

And I am making Gatts.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

This looks pretty bitchin'.
Profanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #22
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

I'm such a sucker for medieval fantasy settings. This looks sweet.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
KeroroCanti
Hot Dog Patrol

Nuva told me the demo for this comes out tomorrow. I am excite.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
Ace
Pet?

I want the demo nooooooowwwwwww
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #25
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I will download the demo first thing in May, I am surprised I haven't gone over the bandwidth cap this month yet, don't wanna risk it anymore at this point.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ves View Post
Why didn't they use the Breath of Fire IP for this?
Now I understand what you meant by this

And yes, I hope the demo doesn't disappoint!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
Nuva
yes i vape

So the demo is downloaded and Nuva has played through it and while the demo itself is limited to the point of ridiculousness (invisible walls everywhere, very short, very VERY easy due to giving you a leveled up character and party of pawns, and not even the ability to give each class a go), my expectations were met. This game is very fun.

CLIMB ON TO A GRIFFON, IT TAKES YOU FOR A RIDE, STAB IT IN THE FACE, THEN BURN IT LIKE BARBEQUE CHICKEN

AH HELL YAH
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
Nicromanser
waoh

Send a message via AIM to Nicromanser Send a message via MSN to Nicromanser Send a message via Yahoo to Nicromanser Send a message via Skype™ to Nicromanser

so I played the demo and it was fun but not really remarkable

what really grabbed my attention was the code names you are supposed to assign your characters for people who have parental controls on. I'm looking through these lists of names and I saw some names like Cammy, Ryu, etc. but ones that really stuck out to me were Dr. Wiley, Roll, and Rockman.

Perhaps I'm reading to much into it but I think Capcom needs to let it go.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #29
Nuva
yes i vape

I honestly doubt that the dicks who are ruining Capcom's reputation are even the ones that put those in there. Not every employee at Capcom is a dick.

But yah, the demo is very shittyly done. Still was fun. The Chimera quest was easy and short. But the griffon one is satisfying. At least they gave you the options to remake the main character and one of your pawns.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #30
Tasku
Barack Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicromanser View Post
I'm looking through these lists of names and I saw some names like Cammy, Ryu, etc. but ones that really stuck out to me were Dr. Wiley, Roll, and Rockman.

Perhaps I'm reading to much into it but I think Capcom needs to let it go.
Is this real? Seriously?

The code names reference Resident Evil, Asura's Wrath, Final Fight, God Hand, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney and Darkstalkers but referencing Megaman is pushing some line? Maybe the idea was fun references to a multitude of Capcom IP's, just maybe?

I've seen sourpuss Megaman fans before but this is just mind numbing.

Seriously.

God damn.

kill me

Last edited by Tasku; 04-26-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Tasku is offline   Reply With Quote