Orange you glad

Can I have a hug?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #32
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Serpent View Post
I'd say that's more an Austin thing. Maybe Portland.
Since when does Austin have tailor-made stereotypes? And aren't Portland stereotypes just the poor man's Seattle stereotypes?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #33
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
Since when does Austin have tailor-made stereotypes? And aren't Portland stereotypes just the poor man's Seattle stereotypes?
I was referring more to 'Keep Austin Weird' and Portland's leap of an attempt to outdo them.

Sure, Pooka. *hugs*.

I think a lot of Californian stereotypes are a product of surf culture, Route 66 and Silicon Valley. In that way, I suppose I could represent a stereotype in that I've taken a lot of computer repair and networking classes, but I think computer culture has spread out sufficiently that it wouldn't be considered a centralized Californian thing any longer. Alas, I can't do a surfer dude voice or valley girl impression without instead sounding like I'm trying to be English.

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 03-23-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Raven Serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #34
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I was just thinking of the kinda crazy, off the wall California stereotype.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #35
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Oh, the energy required to live up to that stereotype off the internet is astoundingly high. I also don't know where it's coming from, culturally.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #36
Ves
The Human

Do you ever read your posts and think about how others will interpret them?
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #37
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Tell me about the cowboy you chose as your avatar?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #38
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ves View Post
Do you ever read your posts and think about how others will interpret them?
I would like to say yes. I have spent quite too much time thinking about how to respond to this question. Trying to avoid misinterpretation tends to lead to over-explaining and odd phrasing, which, in turn, causes misinterpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Pooka View Post
Tell me about the cowboy you chose as your avatar?
He's the protagonist in Sukiyaki Western Django. A bizarre english-language Japanese Samurai/Spaghetti Western film. The title namechecks the Sergio Corbucci film Django, but the plot has more in common with Yojimbo, and therefore A Fistful of Dollars.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Why are you not a goth?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #40
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Why are you not a goth?
The Raven's association with the Goth subculture is pretty widely accepted, thanks to being a bird of ill omen, Edgar Allen Poe, Christopher Marlowe, William Shakespeare, and indirectly James O'Barr. The Raven's North American mythology is actually probably much more interesting than that. In conclusion: not a goth... probably.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #41
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Why does your signature say 'If I add text maybe?"
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #42
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Why does your signature say 'If I add text maybe?"
Because I was having trouble getting it to show up. Possibly because the forum may have a delay in changing over a sig.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #43
rebornMCW
Ring Your Bell

Raven vs Serpent. Who wins?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #44
That Pooka
Orange you glad

Are you prepared for Autumn?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #45
That Pooka
Orange you glad

How goes the cataloging?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #46
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

That'll teach me not to look in the Rantings of Madmen section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornMCW View Post
Raven vs Serpent. Who wins?
2:8 Serpent. If you mean the mech pilots? 9:1 Raven.

Quote:
Are you prepared for Autumn?
I'm hoping and counting on it to cool off a bit, so it's more like I'm wanting to push autumn into action as fast as possible. I have a lot of dark clothing.

Quote:
How goes the cataloging?
I've had to double-back a bit on it so it's slowed down, but it's been progressing steadily.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #47
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Tuesday is coming. Did you bring your coat?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #48
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Tuesday is coming. Did you bring your coat?
I live in a giant bucket.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #49
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

So Raven, this is a more serious question. Gender things. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm curious, though. What have you done about your gender dysphoria? Anything tangible?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #50
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I'm asking everyone this question, but it's because I'm legitimately curious and this seems like the best way to get individual responses. If you had to name your top ten favorite games of all time, what would they be?

Elaborating on why earns bonus points and no full series answers, please!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #51
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
So Raven, this is a more serious question. Gender things. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm curious, though. What have you done about your gender dysphoria? Anything tangible?

Oh, sorry, I haven't been checking this because I figured nobody would ever ask anything. Uh, hmm...

I've been going to a psychologist, but not so much lately. I'm working on switching to a different one because I feel like something has not been clicking with this one and it would probably be good to get a new perspective. As far as I can tell there are not a lot of support groups in my area, but I've been continuing to look. I've been wearing a bra since February, but since summer came, I've only been wearing it while I'm getting coffee because of how it makes it a bit harder to breathe in the intense heat. And since I've started getting back in shape for the 10k in October I haven't been wearing it while I'm out training to prevent jogger's nipple (not really any better names for it that I can see). I haven't gotten any hormones or anything, though I don't have an aversion to doing so. Most of my problems are of cost. Not being able to be who you are because of cost is shitty, but it's the current state of things.

Quote:
I'm asking everyone this question, but it's because I'm legitimately curious and this seems like the best way to get individual responses. If you had to name your top ten favorite games of all time, what would they be?

Elaborating on why earns bonus points and no full series answers, please!

I'm going to give a no particular order sort of list because I'm just like that. I'm assuming these are all video games, otherwise I would have to add tt stuff.

1. GTA San Andreas
San Andreas is one of those games that feels super interesting while you're playing it. Like, you're sitting at a light at 2am and looking across the intersection and you start appreciating how great the atmosphere of the area makes you feel. I may have gotten stuck at the impossible to control airplane tests, but overall I had a ton of fun. 81 hours worth at least.

2. Sid Meier's Pirates!
I was a little skeptical before I started this game up, but Pirates is pretty fantastic. It's a game about going around and rescuing your relatives but there are just so many things you can do. You can go around winning the hearts of all the maidens. You can go around bounty hunting. You can make some cash running cargo all around the carribean. Treasure hunting...

3. Metal Gear Solid 3
Quote:
"In 10 minutes, MiGs will come and bomb the hell out of this place.

If you can beat me in less than 10 minutes, you'll be able to escape in time.

Let's make this the greatest 10 minutes of our lives, Jack."

4. Guilty Gear x2 #Reload
A fighting game I actually feel like I can play? Alright! A shame it was taken off of GOG while Isuka was left up. Isuka is just awful. Luckily, I got mine.

5. Bloody Roar: Primal Fury (Gamecube)
Mysteriously, a game that I had an overwhelmingly positive win:lose ratio with with my friends. I don't know what it was about it, I just rocked their faces over and over with Shina. Could not play the single player for shit.

6. King's Quest 6
Back when my sister got our first computer capable of using a cd-rom drive, I got super into this one in particular. Mostly because it was the one with the interface that I could immediately understand. But I'd contend this is a lot of people's favorite in the series.

7. Silent Hill 2
The prison is super freaky when you play it for the first time. Lights out, and you just hear someone mumbling something somewhere, but you're not sure where they are.

8. TIE Fighter
I killed so much time with this game. It is maybe the only CDROM game I had that lasted between multiple computers. I was super shitty about keeping discs in good condition. If I ever get the chance to get ahold of a copy, I would snatch that thing up.

9. The Sims 3
I... I really like playing the Sims 3, you guys.

10. Shadowrun Returns
The got super into this game, mostly because I really love the Shadowrun universe and it seems a lot like the base story is a love letter to the stories of the late Nigel Findley who wrote sourcebooks like The Universal Brotherhood (which was also an adventure module) and tie-in novels like 2XS and House of the Sun (the book he was in the process of editing when he passed). As a big fan of Findley, the base scenario feels kind of special. I did burn out a bit while maintaining the thread, but that happens.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #52
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Oh, sorry, I haven't been checking this because I figured nobody would ever ask anything. Uh, hmm...

I've been going to a psychologist, but not so much lately. I'm working on switching to a different one because I feel like something has not been clicking with this one and it would probably be good to get a new perspective. As far as I can tell there are not a lot of support groups in my area, but I've been continuing to look. I've been wearing a bra since February, but since summer came, I've only been wearing it while I'm getting coffee because of how it makes it a bit harder to breathe in the intense heat. And since I've started getting back in shape for the 10k in October I haven't been wearing it while I'm out training to prevent jogger's nipple (not really any better names for it that I can see). I haven't gotten any hormones or anything, though I don't have an aversion to doing so. Most of my problems are of cost. Not being able to be who you are because of cost is shitty, but it's the current state of things.
Part of trying to afford this, of course, is taking myself off medication that I probably should not be taking myself off, like ADHD medication, depression medication, but not omeprazole. There is only so far I can go without that.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #53
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Quote:
9. The Sims 3
I... I really like playing the Sims 3, you guys.
Me too. What are your thoughts on Sims 4?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #54
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayu_Zane View Post
Me too. What are your thoughts on Sims 4?
I think it has some good ideas and a nice interface, but it's hamstrung a bit by the way neighborhoods work. I could probably have fun with it, but probably not the kind or quality that I get out of 3. Granted, most of my experience with 4 is through the Stream Friends stream recordings.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #55
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Wait, Steam has X2 now? Huh. You still can't play with other people, but since I like the single-player that's still good. Good it wasn't taken down forever.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #56
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

What's your all time favorite or most memorable moment from past gaming? Like, a particularly fun multiplayer session, a favorite cutscene or level, anything.

Have you ever been into any trading card games?

What's a sequel you really want to happen, but probably never will?

Any TV shows or movies you'd particularly want, or not want, to see remade?

Do you think there'll still be movie theaters in say, 50 years from now? Or do you think, with stuff like digital distribution and TVs getting bigger and better every year, they'll be a thing of the past (or at least, a niche thing)?

Have you ever paid to have something commissioned, like art or something, online? If not, ever considered it?

What's your favorite thing you own, that's a decoration or cosmetic thing. Art, posters, figurines, etc.

If you were to buy gum from a machine, what color do you hope pops out?
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #57
Mallorie
Songstress

What is the most thrill-seeking thing you've ever done?

If you were forced to burn scented candles in your home, what scent would they be?

Do you eat stuff when it falls on the floor? What is your personal statue of limitations on floor food?

Does your family have a special "family recipe" version of a dish? What's the dish? And what's the secret?

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:38 AM   #58
Hoogie
STYLE

What kind of comics are you into? Have you read anything interesting lately? What are your all-time faves? Is there anything that you're looking forward to reading?

Hoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #59
Raven Serpent
100% Bad 80s Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penakoto View Post
What's your all time favorite or most memorable moment from past gaming? Like, a particularly fun multiplayer session, a favorite cutscene or level, anything.
Ooof, uh, hmm.... There was the time I temporarily became the master of that awful 360 Shadowrun shooter. Where I was just pulling all the teams to victory one night for some reason. Or the time in F.E.A.R. multiplayer where everyone else stopped shooting and we met up in the courtyard to hand-to-hand fight. The end cutscene for MGS3 is pretty good though.

Quote:
Have you ever been into any trading card games?
Never owned enough cards to play and never had anyone to play with, but I did collect Pokemon cards, and I have played a little bit of online MtG.

Quote:
What's a sequel you really want to happen, but probably never will?
Silent Hills

Quote:
Any TV shows or movies you'd particularly want, or not want, to see remade?
No.

Quote:
Do you think there'll still be movie theaters in say, 50 years from now? Or do you think, with stuff like digital distribution and TVs getting bigger and better every year, they'll be a thing of the past (or at least, a niche thing)?
If there are, I probably still won't go unless they are the only place with air conditioning left.

Quote:
Have you ever paid to have something commissioned, like art or something, online? If not, ever considered it?
No, I've considered it, but I'm broke constantly.

Quote:
What's your favorite thing you own, that's a decoration or cosmetic thing. Art, posters, figurines, etc.
Do I own anything decorative? Uh... I have some postcards I'm looking to frame. I guess those?

Quote:
If you were to buy gum from a machine, what color do you hope pops out?
Blue. It's a nice color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallorie View Post
What is the most thrill-seeking thing you've ever done?
I went on a hanging coaster. Not a really scary hanging coaster. You'd be bored.

Quote:
If you were forced to burn scented candles in your home, what scent would they be?
Maybe like a lilac or something. I dunno. Not orange or pine.

Quote:
Do you eat stuff when it falls on the floor? What is your personal statue of limitations on floor food?
No, I have a dog. Never.

Quote:
Does your family have a special "family recipe" version of a dish? What's the dish? And what's the secret?
My Mom makes really good tacos. She claims there's no secret, but I know there has to be when compared to mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
What kind of comics are you into? Have you read anything interesting lately? What are your all-time faves? Is there anything that you're looking forward to reading?
I have been getting back into manga and the like. A lot of that is to get material for the podcast that I'm not sure if we haven't been doing because the main host was sick of it, or because his account got a copyright strike and we can't upload more right now. Sex Crims, definitely. Not looking forward to a lot, since I don't follow what's coming up. And I'm not really sure what I should read next by any country's comic authors right now. Looking at some covers though Mr. Bloom looks like a real stupid villain.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #60
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

What are some examples of things you really like, that you think is either severely underrated, or is just bad, but you enjoy them anyways for whatever reason?

Do you ever/often spend money on purely cosmetic items in games? Be it skins for characters or weapons, mounts and vehicles in games where that stuff is just for show, etc...

What is the most disappointed you ever were with a game you've played? Whether it was the whole game, or just a part of it.

Do you prefer air conditioning, or opening windows to cool things down?
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote