F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > Miscellaneous > Rantings of Madmen

Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #421
rebornMCW
Ring Your Bell

If Street Fighter had popsicles, what would be your favorite flavor and what name would it have?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #422
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

WHAT OF EVO?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 AM   #423
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I'm asking everyone this question, but it's because I'm legitimately curious and this seems like the best way to get individual responses. If you had to name your top ten favorite games of all time, what would they be?

Elaborating on why earns bonus points and no full series answers, please!
Old 07-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #424
Nuva
yes i vape

What is the biggest difference between pad and fight sticks? Would you see it as essential to switch to a fight stick? How long do you think training should last?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #425
Ves
The Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
I'm asking everyone this question, but it's because I'm legitimately curious and this seems like the best way to get individual responses. If you had to name your top ten favorite games of all time, what would they be?

I'll actually answer this later. This was asked while I was MIA and I need a bit of time to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuva View Post
What is the biggest difference between pad and fight sticks? Would you see it as essential to switch to a fight stick? How long do you think training should last?
Pad has less transfer time between changing directions because you're not trying to move a lever with your whole hand, and are instead just slightly moving your thumb. This can be helpful on some motions like 360's because you're able to complete them especially quickly, but can be a hindrance for some other move types because you might get stray directional inputs that ruin the move, I also think it helps to not create side dependence. Hold inputs can be easier on a pad because you could be using an index or middle finger that wouldn't be doing anything anyways to occupy a button, where on stick it actually limits your ability to hit the other buttons. Pad quality tends to vary pretty wildly as well which is why you see most pad players stick with one model if possible, which can be difficult as new generations of consoles hit.

The benefit of stick is that it's much more clear if you're at a true diagonal, which can help with charge characters, or getting price forward/back jumps, or downbacking. The big difference is in the buttons. With a standard thumb on each side of a pad you can't easily access all of your buttons, especially for moves that require multiple button presses. This can lead to people playing claw style or having to shift their grip a lot as they play. Stick on the other hand most people will be using 3-5 fingers at a time and won't be contorting their hand. Plus with the buttons being bigger and more responsive it becomes easier to hit the same button multiple times quickly(for input preciseness or things like Chun's lightning legs), or hit multiple buttons quite quickly. The last benefit of stick is that you get more flexibility in customization. Want stiffer or softer buttons? A stiffer stick? Different art? Different colored buttons/stick? It's all a simple mod you yourself can do at home easily.

Theoretically hitbox provides the benefit of pad of not having to move your left hand much, and the benefit of stick with having large and responsive buttons, but it can cause some issues with certain inputs as it's usually easier for people to do say a half circle on 1p side than 2p side because it's easier to drum your fingers from outside in, than inside out.

Transition from 1 device to another takes about 1-6 months. I can still play some games on pad(some better even!), but I'm overall far better on stick now. The dropoff is going to be huge at first too as you have to relearn how to do a bunch of stuff you already know how to do. Eventually with enough practice you stop thinking about what buttons you're hitting etc. and you're good to go. If it's essential or not depends on the player. When I was playing before and trying to do harder input stuff, I started dropping my controller as I'd move between claw style inputs to trying to do mash moves quickly. If I didn't switch to stick I couldn't be successful, but obviously with the results pad players have had calling it essential is silly.

Last edited by Ves; 07-26-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Ves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #426
FenixAiur
JIMMY THE ROBOT!

Send a message via MSN to FenixAiur Send a message via Yahoo to FenixAiur

A while ago, you mentioned on Facebook you were getting bored of video games. Do you think there's a reason why?

Does this include fighting games?

And last but not least, do you think you'll be signing up for another EVO tournament at some point?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #427
Ves
The Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixAiur View Post
A while ago, you mentioned on Facebook you were getting bored of video games. Do you think there's a reason why?

Does this include fighting games?

And last but not least, do you think you'll be signing up for another EVO tournament at some point?
I think games are getting sort of dumbed down, and I think writing has sort of trended to an anime style of writing which isn't really a positive. Simpler, more repetitive games that are more waifu driven on top of me being better at solving games mechanically has made them less interesting to me in general. Also I've become a far more discerning customer in general. I actually really like playing Path of Exile for instance because it's hard to solve mechanically

It's applying to SF4, but mostly because I've understood the game is bad mechanically for about 2 years, and it's really sad. I've been enjoying playing Xrd and a few other games though.

I really want to go to EVO next year. Lot of people I haven't met yet, and others I haven't seen in years, and I feel a new game will get of my malaise.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #428
Mallorie
Songstress

What is the most thrill-seeking thing you've ever done?

If you were forced to burn scented candles in your home, what scent would they be?

Do you eat stuff when it falls on the floor? What is your personal statue of limitations on floor food?

Does your family have a special "family recipe" version of a dish? What's the dish? And what's the secret?

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #429
Ves
The Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallorie View Post
What is the most thrill-seeking thing you've ever done?

If you were forced to burn scented candles in your home, what scent would they be?

Do you eat stuff when it falls on the floor? What is your personal statue of limitations on floor food?

Does your family have a special "family recipe" version of a dish? What's the dish? And what's the secret?
Hard to say. I'm not much of a thrillseeker. Climbed a cliff face with no support? Jump off of a waterfall? Were things I did when i was younger that people would consider thrill seeking. I also had planned routes through my neighborhood which involved scaling walls, sliding under gates, cutting through backyards and all sorts of other trespassing that I would run through in need to shake someone. I hit a driver of a car with an egg around 11 and had to use one of the routes for the first and only practical time. Sexual stuff in a public park with a girl is probably the winner though, or something else public sex related.

Vanilla or Clean Laundry, I'm allergic to most scented candles but those one don't bug my nose, and the other one that doesn't in cinnamon smells horrible if you burn it for too long.

Basic rules are "can I easily blow dust off of it or rinse it off?". So hard candy, nuts, fruit, vegetables are usually fair game as they are easily cleanable, but something like a sandwich is probably a lost cause if it comes apart and will at least lose the bread in contact with the floor. No specific time statute but if I don't notice something for awhile it's trash.

My family actually has a cookbook with 200~ recipes in it, and I've made 0 of them but some of them are pretty interesting, I'll see if I can find it sometime and I'll post some of the recipes. I specifically make some things non standard but the usual extra changes are usually just sriracha, basil, or intentionally changing temperatures to create texture differences, I'm not a fancy cook though I'm competent. BLT's with basil on them are really good!
Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #430
Ves
The Human

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post

Also i got this.

No particular order.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: The thing I like best about Marvel 2 is that it taught me how I like to approach fighting games. More importantly though it taught me how to solve problems in fighting games, which led to be being more interested in them when things became less of a black box to me.

Breath of Fire 3: It ticks off all of my JRPG things that I like. A) Dungeon puzzles B) non linear itemization, as in getting a new weapon or piece of equipment doesn't automatically invalidate previous ones as equipment has a lot going on outside of raw attack or defense values. C) Semi-Open exploration. You don't have a ton of options but you can poke around and backtracking is quick because of how the world map is hyper compressed. D) minigames! E) characters actually kind of grow and change a bit personality wise and the resolution of the story is not really black/white F) MUSIC IS BALLIN if you're into that mid 90's Capcom sound with lots of random synth jazz and weird songs.

Super Street Fighter 4: Made some great friends playing this game and I learned a lot about myself in the process. It's flawed, some of the updates are atrocious, but I didn't think i'd ever be traveling around playing video games.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: My favorite Zelda game, but most things you can say positive about Zelda apply here. The big difference for me here is how itemization works as I think it's probably the best out of the first 15 or so years of Zelda. Also the boss fights have a ton of variety.

Super Mario World: It's the best platformer ever. You can just tell how painstakingly well crafted it is. It still looks/sounds great even today.

Hearthstone: I've won like 6k games in I guess it's okay. Basically it scratched my digital CCG itch without being shitty like MTGO

Shining Force 2: Non linear itemization+a fun story mixed with semi tactical gameplay. My favorite thing though is that it has a lot of fights that are just kind of off the wall and unexpected. The Kraken fight and the chess board fight are maybe not high strategy but present a very unique way to tell a story through combat.

Megaman X 4: Music+stage layouts+Zero's moveset is just tons of fun. You get to feel like you're playing a fighting game sort of, and the platforming still holds up today. I've bought this game 3x

Magic the Gathering:I have tons of issues with the game, but it's made me friends, it helped a lot with dealing with my anxiety as playing in tournaments went from something stressful to something fun, and it's something that's been a big part of my life for most of my life.

Whatever Multiplayer Loot Fest I'm playing: This seems like a bit of a copout, but for the most part these are all the same game. Diablo, POE, Borderlands. It's something for me to play with buddies and get new loot. Trying out different characters is fun, and sometimes something might not work, but it
Old 03-23-2016, 01:10 AM   #431
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

I think IV will eventually be acknowledged as not nearly as shitty as people though. It wasn't an awful game. I am enjoying V more, though.