F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > General > Tech Garage

Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 PM   #121
Mayu_Zane
ART-STRONAUT

Thank you, Ace! I do need another monitor and a new mouse, but I don't really need an ultra-high-precision mouse with lotsa buttons on it, so I reckon I can fit the budget.

I'll make up my own list and then put it together once I get my next couple of paychecks.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #122
Addy
NOT!!! A CLOD!!

It's not a huge deal but does anybody have any recommendations on disc drives? Blu-ray isn't essential but CD/DVD burning would be pretty kawaii

it doesn't seem like a huge deal part but if somebody has one they like a lot I'd wanna check that one out first!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #123
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

So I just need some quick advice here. I only need a new video card since mine went kaput about 6 months or so ago. I have a huge budget for just a video card ($1000 give or take) and while I have no intention of spending anywhere near that much on a card I figure it gives me the most options to just say that much is available. I will technically also need to get a new power supply to support it since the psu in my computer is a bit low output wise, but i'm not really including that since that's the easier part to take care of.

Anyway, my old card was a Radeon HD 5770. I'm obviously looking for an upgrade from that. I have been told that the rest of the parts in my computer are more than well enough to keep up with anything I would put in the computer so I'm not too worried about buying something that will cause my system to not keep up. I'm not opposed to Nvidia but it's generally pricier and while I have a decent budget I'd like to get the best bang for my buck.

Any input on a good card would be appreciated. I have a couple in mind from when I was shopping around before but by now there may be SOMETHING DIFFERENT out there I'd be content with. Just want something I can toss in and play some damn vidgames on again. My poor computer is running a circa-2001 era fucking card right now and it makes me sad. It deserves better than that!
RadiantBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #124
Ace
Pet?

$1000 is a massive budget for just a card, but I'd highly recommend the GTX 970, it's what I'm running right now and you can get it for around 300-400 bucks. If you're feeling frisky you could always go for two of them, or jump up to the GTX 980.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #125
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

Yeah, I'm aware it's a huge budget haha. Just my way of stating money really isn't a concern here. Just looking for something futureproof!

Also ty. Ill check it out when I get home.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #126
Ace
Pet?

Going to update and say the GTX 970 is actually as of two days ago part of a class action lawsuit for false advertising. It's a 4GB VRAM card but only really makes use of 3.5GB. I still think it's a great card with great performance, and the bang for your back is still good, but keep all of that in mind.

Honestly if you're looking to spend that much, look into other possible upgrades as well. More RAM, a better CPU, adding a SSD.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #127
RadiantBurrito
Professional Sandbag

I don't really need a better CPU anytime soon honestly, and I'll look into the other two with time when I really feel like I need it. Any money I don't spend will pretty much go straight to my trip savings which is more important. Its just nice to have a bunch to play with
Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #128
TheResult
TheReturner

Send a message via Skype™ to TheResult

I'm in sort of the same vein as Rad was, except I'm cheap and my budget is nowhere near that. I'm looking for a video card that's somewhere around $100. The reason is that my old video card's fan decided to just quit, and even though I got it for exactly $100 a few years ago and it's been enough to let me play everything I wanted, I figure this is as good an excuse as any to get whatever today's equivalent is.

FYI, the old card was a Radeon HD 6700. So, yeah, shouldn't be hard to find something better than that.

Once I get the card, I'll also buy a new PSU because my current one is pretty out of date (and was honestly just a gift from my brother, that he got from some guy on Craigslist around the same time I needed a new PSU.)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #129
Jake
In a word or a look

Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake

So I'm building a PC around November, here's my current prospective, subject to change, but I'm happy with the price right now, my maximum was $1500, but this gives me a little wiggle room to upgrade my monitor.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #130
Ace
Pet?

Looks like good stuff to me!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #131
Jake
In a word or a look

I fucking love the case I'm going to be getting, looks impossibly slick.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #132
Auntie Grieves
Tip of the Dragon Penis

I can't believe you're buying a $300 video card.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #133
Ace
Pet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I fucking love the case I'm going to be getting, looks impossibly slick.
It's the newer baby brother to my XL case. It's fantastic.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #134
Nuva
yes i vape

Why do they add the word gaming to any high performance piece of hardware? What the fuck is a gaming motherboard? A regular motherboard?

My keyboard's a gaming keyboard, what the fuck is a gaming keyboard got against a regular keyboard? It glows in the dark?

Quote:
I can't believe you're buying a $300 video card.
I'm still playing off the 70$ card that Ace suggested to me. It runs Witcher 3 on medium so I'm pretty happy with that. I wanna get a 980 at some point though.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #135
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

Upgraded my computer some recently over the last couple of months, here's what I've got right now...

Graphics - Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
CPU - Intel Core i7 870 Quad 2.93GHz (what it came with originally)
Ram - 8gigs (4x2)
PSU - 450 Watts (I think that's what it is now?)

I'm pretty happy with how well most my games are running now and what I'm capable of running at all, but I'm wondering, will I need to upgrade my CPU at some point, if I'm ever looking to upgrade the PC in general any further? It's the only thing besides I think the motherboard that hasn't been upgraded from what it came with.

Also: Is there any other parts I should worry about that I haven't listed? These are the ones that pop up when I run any sort of "what can I run and at what settings" website or software, so I'm not sure.

ALSO: As far as accessories go, the only thing I've got I think is worth upgrading is my monitor. Anything I should keep in mind about them, if/when I'm shopping for a new one?
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #136
Shig
Sandvich Lover

If you plan on upgrading the CPU, then you'll most likely have to change the motherboard as well, that socket is kinda old now. LGA 1151 is the latest Intel socket if you wanna go down that path, but because it's new, it's also somewhat expensive. LGA 1150 was the previous generation socket that is still popular and has decently priced motherboards and CPUs.

As for a monitor, it really depends on what you plan on using it for. If it's fast paced games or twitch-shooters that you like playing, then perhaps a 144hz panel with a quick response time. Something with G-Sync might be nice if you wanna spend a little more.

If you feel that your framerate is fine as it is and are interested in higher resolutions then maybe a Korean 1440p IPS panel is what you want? They usually offer better colors and viewing angles than TN panels, which is what most of the lower priced 144hz panels are. Most IPS panels are rated for 60hz but it is possible to overclock some, at your own risk, to 90-144hz if you want something that can handle increased frame rates.

Also just keep in mind that to take full advantage of these monitors you'll most likely need a DVI-DL connection on your video card. If you don't have one, you might not be able to make use of the 144hz refresh rate or 1440p resolution.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #137
Penakoto
Squirrels are Good

I think Ill pass on any further upgrades then, until its either necessary or I can afford a whole new built from parts PC like Ive always wanted. Which actually might not cost all that much now, since I could probably just recycle the upgrades I bought for the current PC.

The monitor can probably wait, its not a big monitor but it's default resolution is 1600x900, which is the recommended setting for most of my games (some like WoW recommend a lot higher though, I forget but its like 2200x something), so its probably fine for now.
Penakoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #138
Jake
In a word or a look

Completed Rig. Monitor, mouse and keyboard are at home so I'm using one of my work stations stuff to install things.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #139
Haven
the Ever Smiling

Shiny.

(please read it!)
Haven is offline   Reply With Quote