F@NB0Y$
Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Inferno
Tea and murder

Send a message via AIM to Inferno
Default The Forge

Jumping on the crafts thread bandwagon. I know I already have an art thread buried deep in this forum, but I'd rather not bring it back.

Some of the crafts in this thread were made for various classes over the years, while others were done in my free time. I'll try to note whether each craft was done for class or not, as well as when they were done.

First I'll start off with some stuff scattered around my room.

This was done for a college class in 2012 or 2013. I can't remember if it was Crafts or 3D Design, I took them one after the other and they kind of merged together in my head. Anyway, it's a wire candle, done for a wire project. See the fabric backdrop? Keep that design in mind...

This was done...I'm pretty sure in 2012, for whichever of those two classes was held during the fall semester. It was a weaving project where we used cardboard looms to make wall hangings. The design here is a Pennsylvania German hex sign. The yellow is hard to see, but it's there. I can't remember if I chose that particular sign knowing its meaning (hoping to invoke something?) or just because it looked doable. Maybe a little of both.

This is a candy dish I made in 2012 for the same class. It's hand-built from brown stoneware clay and high-fire glaze. The red glaze was always risky, so I'm lucky it turned out the way it did. If I could go back and redo it I'd make the sides higher so you could fit more candy in it.

I made this bowl in my high school ceramics class, either fall 2008 or spring 2009. It's not brown stoneware, but it's not porcelain either, and I don't think it's raku, so I'm honestly not sure what kind of clay it is. It was made on the wheel and decorated with low-fire glaze.

The difference between high-fire and low-fire is the temperature you need to fire them at. High-fire glaze tends to be higher quality and fancier, if not as colorful and fun as low-fire. You tend to see high-fire being used in professional work and in upper-level ceramics courses, whereas low-fire is used more for basic ceramics courses in middle or high school.

Oh, and that runner in the background, with the strawberries? I made that too, out of an old pajama tank top that I just couldn't get rid of even though it was all stretched out and starting to rip. I cut off the excess, sewed it to a length of plain pink fabric, and then lined the edges with green lacey stuff I found at a discount fabric outlet.

Finally, a t-shirt quilt. Well, my first one, anyway. I have enough old t-shirts in storage right now that I'm almost ready to make a second one, and I'm going to make one for my brother out of his old shirts at some point too. I made this in summer 2012. The process was pretty difficult and I had to do a lot of the sewing by hand, but I think it turned out pretty good in the end considering this was my first attempt at a t-shirt quilt. The fabric that you saw behind the wire candle is the fabric that's on the back of the quilt.
Pertinent information censored to protect my identity.
The oldest shirt on this quilt is probably the Invader Zim one. I'm pretty sure I wore that in 6th grade. Yes, I was one of those people. Leave me alone.

Last edited by Inferno; 02-05-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Inferno
Tea and murder

Next is a mug I made for my 2012 class, based off Thor's hammer and affectionately dubbed Mjügnir by That Pooka.

Part 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

Basically, what I did was make a pattern for the sides and the little parts up top and bottom that slant inward, cut them out of slab, and piece them together. I traced a bottom and attached that as well.

Then I worked on the smaller portions of the sides, the ones at an angle. (Sorry, I'm not good at wording things.)
For these, I cut out small strips of slab, attached them, then sliced off the excess with an Exacto knife to form an angle.

Then I smoothed it all out so it looked pretty.

The corners were more of a challenge. I ended up doing more of the same, but it required more slicing and prettying up.

I knew I had to make the rim somewhat rounded. If you try to drink something from a square rim, it'll spill out of either side of your mouth. I just tore off some clay and shaped it, but then when I went to put it in, I realized that there was too much space in between the rim and the side of the mug. So I tore off some more clay, rolled it up, and attached it right on the inside to give the round rim part something to grip to. I attached the rounded pieces to the filler, then smoothed it out on the inside and outside. I only rounded the rim on one side because I'm right-handed and the handle is going to go on the right side, so there was no point in doing the other side.

Then I traced a circle out of slab and attached it to the "top" of the hammer.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Inferno
Tea and murder

Part 2:

Quote:
I spent a few more hours today working on this mug to get the handle done.

For the two parts - the handle proper and the strappy thing - I used a mold.

I cut both down to size, then attached the thicker handle part to the mug. I put a paper towel underneath to keep it from falling.

I sliced up the flatter strip of clay to make the strap, and attached it to the handle and the mug.

I dried the handle with a hairdryer for a few minutes to stiffen up the clay so it wouldn't fall, then scratched the details into the handle...

And here's the finished wet-clay product.

I left it to dry with some paper towels inside (to keep it from warping) and under the handle (to keep it from falling). When it's completely dry it'll be fired in the kiln. After that it has to be glazed and then fired again.
and 3:

Quote:
There's not really much to tell about the glazing process. You have the big buckets of glaze, you stir 'em up so all the goop at the bottom dissolves, you dip your piece in the glaze, you let it dry, you dip it again.
The last time I put a different color on top of white glaze, it merged together and ran down the mug a lot, so I took that approach with this mug. I put two coats of white glaze on the outside and then dipped the top half in black glaze, in the hopes that it would merge to gray and run down the mug. The handle was dipped in a brown color.
(Side note. The white glaze is the BIGGEST PAIN to stir up. The goop is so thick that you pretty much need an electric mixer, and if the professor's not around, tough beans, good luck with that wooden spoon of yours.)

And then that baby was popped in the kiln and came out like this!

Didn't turn out the way I'd hoped, but it still looks cool. I'll take it.
The clay was brown stoneware and the glaze was high-fire. The handle is really, really comfortable, which was a surprise because in the past when I've tried to make handles the traditional way, they never turned out well. It has the perfect amount of space for my fingers to rest without my knuckles getting burned on the mug, which gets pretty hot. If I could go back I'd probably make the mug bigger. I was worried that I was making it TOO big, so I think I wound up making it smaller than I intended.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Inferno
Tea and murder

Eldoon's Noodles ramen bowl, made in spring 2012 during Dead Week.

Quote:
So this finally arrived.

I would be more enthusiastic, but frankly, I'm too tired.
My original plan was to make the bowl itself in ceramics class and glaze it high-fire, but we ran out of red glaze and the budget for the semester had already been used up completely. And then the bowl that I threw on the wheel broke because it was too thin. So I painted a bowl at one of those make-your-own places instead. I had to have it shipped to PA since it wouldn't be ready before we had to leave campus.

I wanted to make darn sure it was accurate, and I couldn't find any references online, so I wound up grabbing my Apollo Justice cartridge during spring break and playing the second case until the Eldoon's Noodles bowl was added to my evidence, at which point I could look closely at all the little details, including the number of squiggles.

The hardest part was getting all those little squiggles lined up proportionately. Earlier in the semester I'd drawn up a pattern based on the bowl dimensions, so here I had to trace the pattern with pencil and then painstakingly paint around/inside it.
The red glaze is thin in some places because they said you only need two coats. THEY LIED.

The bowl is just big enough for a ramen meal.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Inferno
Tea and murder

Here's another paint-your-own, made in summer 2012. I don't have any pictures of the finished product. (Why are these all 2012...)

I made the mug as a birthday present for a Godot-loving friend since the one I originally made her in ceramics class turned out......looking like diarrhea. Plus, with high-fire, you can't really do little details like this.

I couldn't remember if the quote was "blacker" or "darker" than a moonless night, so I texted Dogma, who also couldn't remember, and it bothered him so much that he got out an emulator and played Trials & Tribulations until he got to the quote. That was an interesting day.

I also need to make one of these for Dogma at some point.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
Inferno
Tea and murder

Here's the last post for now, my final project for 3D Design class, made in spring 2013: a wall-mounted clock inspired by the Chronos Clock from Kamichama Karin.

I wasn't interested in making a carbon copy, so I spent a lot of time doodling different designs during other classes. Then I put together all the things I liked the best.

Quote:

I didn't get pictures of the first few steps, but the first thing I did after making sure my cheapo clock from Wal-Mart actually runs correctly was to take off the front of the clock and paint over the face. I painted a few coats of white first, to hide the numbers, and then I covered that with a light pink. The handles were black originally and I painted them with gold paint. I painted some parts of the outside of the clock (and the sides of the inside) white, then gold, in case they'd be exposed.
After making a base with cardboard, measuring the dimensions I'd need, I made the wire cage. That...was a pain. A huge pain. I don't like wire, I've decided. You can see that by the time I got to the wings I was so sick of it that I used stiff tape instead.

Then the paper-mache. This picture shows me 3/4 done with the paper-mache-ing. The first layer was newspaper for strength, and then the next layer was white paper towels, to disguise the newspaper words and make it easier to paint over.

Hwoof, seems I skipped a ton of steps.
After making the paper-mache base, I removed the clock cover and set it over the clock to see which parts of the face would be exposed. Then I added the rhinestones and painted the center image. While that dried, I painted the wings and heart white, then painted the heart with two layers of gold paint. I glued the heart to the clock, then started on the rose part. I glued the rose on first, then the leaves one by one. At first I was using epoxy, but that was taking too long and I switched to hot glue. After the rose parts were in place, I glued on the wings.

The finished product. I'd been working on the wire bead dangly things off and on through a few class periods. Like, if I was done with one step but didn't have enough time to continue with another big thing, I'd work on the beads. Those were simply hot-glued to the base of the heart.
My original plan was to use clay instead of paper-mache, but the teacher pointed out that would make the clock rather heavy. It's probably better that I went with paper-mache in the end. By the way, the rose and leaves in the center came from a small standing clock I had that no longer works.

It's held up fairly well. So far the only problem I've had is that one of the wire strings fell off and I had to reglue it.

Last edited by Inferno; 02-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Nuva
yes i vape

Quote:
I actually really like how this turned out.

I dig ceramics. Hands could never really figure out how to shape things so its fun to see those at work. I'll keep an eye in here. Keep up the heat.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:46 AM   #8
Mallorie
Songstress

Quote:
So this finally arrived.

I would be more enthusiastic, but frankly, I'm too tired.
Oh my gooosh this is amazing! I really like all of them but man this one is cool. The real question: have you ever put it on your head?

Thread marked.

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #9
Inferno
Tea and murder

I have not put it on my head yet but maybe I should.

Anyway, I'm back with more ceramics. All my pieces are finally out of the kiln, so it's time to show them off.

The two that were out of the kiln like a month before the others:

The ones I'm keeping (the heart is covering the one for Virgo):

And the ones I'm selling (includes the first picture):

So many bowls....I wanted to make plates, but I'm not that skilled yet, apparently. Because, believe me, I tried.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
Inferno
Tea and murder

I have a Chandelure lamp in the works, but it's been sitting neglected since...January. I haven't really felt motivated to start working on it again.

In the meantime, I was able to solve another problem. Several Otakons past, I lucked out and found Ace Attorney phone charms. I bought an Apollo and Klavier and somehow managed to get them both on my flip phone. Those were the days. (One of my friends called Klavier "little blond Elvis dude.") They stayed on my phone for maybe two semesters before I noticed the paint was rubbing off in places, so I retired them and they've just hung around ever since. Literally - I had to find places to hang them.

When I moved home I couldn't really find anywhere good to hang them, so I decided to make stands for them. That way I can still behold their seven-dollar glory.

MATERIALS:
-Gold Sculpey, left over from a previous project
-One (1) clean yogurt cup with tap water
-One (1) bucket of Air-Dry Clay, left over from a previous project
-Various pottery tools, because who knows what you'll need
-One (1) Nintendo 3DS
-Two (2) Ace Attorney game cartridges, to zoom in on the badges for little details
-One (1) paper left over from class, to guard the table
-Two (2) spiky-haired lawyers in garish outfits
-One (1) mug of tea, to be refilled as needed
-One (1) computer, with Crunchyroll open, to play Japanese animes

First order of business was untying those suckers. I don't know what my past self did, but they were seriously tied together, what the heck kind of knot did I use? Then, for size purposes, I went and fetched the base of another figurine.

This would become the attorney badge. In the meantime, I was soaking the dried-out air-dry clay (for the prosecutor badge) in water. I guess the container wasn't airtight.

I shaved off the sides, made an indent in the middle using the handle of one of my pottery tools, carved out the petals, and rolled tiny, tiny coils for the scales.

It ended up not mattering much - Apollo's feet went right over the scales.

After making indentations for him to stand on, I shoved the Sculpey badge into the oven to cook and got started on the prosecutor badge. I toyed with the idea of having Klavier stand on a larger version of his necklace, but decided it would be better to stick with the badge theme.

First I cut out a general shape, then went in to do all the small details. The prosecutor's badge was much harder than the attorney's badge. I used some of my old pottery tools - a knife and the needle tool, I think.

Apollo's badge was fired and ready, and didn't need to be painted. All I really had to do was glue him on. But I had to wait for Klavier's badge to air-dry for a few days before I could paint it and put him on. I'd had bad experiences with the clay before, so I put it in a plastic baggie to dry more slowly, to prevent cracking. And it worked.

The finished product. Acrylic paint left over from various art classes and other projects. I had to use a toothpick in some of those areas - I don't have a brush small enough. I should get one, probably.

Finis.

Video games and magical girls. That's what we're all about here at the house of Inferno.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Inferno
Tea and murder

I've been busy. Like, really busy.

I talked about the clock in my journal thread. It's an old one that I got for Christmas when I was 4, and I used that sucker till it died completely and new batteries did nothing. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, so it sat unworking for years and years until I finally decided to make something out of it. It was just going to be a box, but I couldn't think of anything to put inside. And then when I gutted it, the alarm button fell out the top, leaving a hole. Thus, tissues.

The "no-sew" blanket involved quite a bit of sewing but that was my own dang fault for using cotton Zelda fabric instead of two layers of fleece
Old 09-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
Mallorie
Songstress

So cute! I just had a flashback to my childhood; Perler beads were my lifeblood.

The clock tissue box is such a neat idea!

tumblr: mallaproper/mal cosplays | 8tracks: mallaproper | arts & crafts: here
Mallorie is offline   Reply With Quote