F@NB0Y$

Go Back   F@NB0Y$ > F@NB0Y$ > Suggestions

Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #31
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Yeah, it is. Not sure why it happens, but any time I update and repair all the counters, that happens. Goes away after a few days or weeks.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #32
Mopquill

^ Post cache needs to be rebuilt. Also, have you repaired/optimized all tables recently?

I just sent a "Contact Us" form to offer to help Scott fix the comic's lack of forward/back, but, I'd be more than willing to help speed these forums up too, if it can be done.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, number of posts doesn't particularly slow a board down, it's more about number of active users and search engine, as well as incoming database queries. I know of boards (on vB 3.8.X) with 5,000,000+ posts that are just as fast as ever. You just have to know how to maintain them, and have the resources to do so. Is this on shared hosting, or perhaps an oversold box of VPSes? It's likely another client is simply using too many resources, which could mean other clients (i.e. you guys) to have a smaller share of the resources, since more are being used up. During times with high loads, or just when those other guys are using too much, this would slow down to a crawl.

Last edited by Mopquill; 08-30-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Mopquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #33
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Post cache was rebuilt.

Also, Scott should have his new site up within a matter of days. All that's being handled. He'll probably reply back if you sent an email anyway, though.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #34
Mopquill

After the problem happened? That particular problem sounds very much as if parsed code was reset after the post cache was last rebuilt. Optimizing and repairing tables, like I said, helps things run more smoothly, and can prevent parsing errors, as they sometimes happen because of database faults. I've run quite a few vBulletin forums in the past, and if I recall, it was always truncating and rebuilding the post cache that fixed those problems. If it's still happening after that, it could be a faulty or incompatible product/plugin or permission.

And alrighty, I suppose I'll see if he does, thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #35
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

I already said I had. We get it, you fancy yourself knowledgeable. However, I've already rebuilt, repaired and cleared out everything they gave me the option to, as I do every time maintenance is done. The only one I don't mess with is rebuilding the search index, as the forums would be down forever and a day if I did. "That particular problem" likes to happen after maintenance and goes away after a week or so on its own.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #36
Mopquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
I already said I had. We get it, you fancy yourself knowledgeable. However, I've already rebuilt, repaired and cleared out everything they gave me the option to, as I do every time maintenance is done. The only one I don't mess with is rebuilding the search index, as the forums would be down forever and a day if I did. "That particular problem" likes to happen after maintenance and goes away after a week or so on its own.
Defensive much? Look, you had a problem, and I'm simply trying to help, by offering suggestions- you must understand that there is nothing in this for me. I gain nothing by helping you find whatever the issue is. I like Scott's comic, and I like the little community here. I wanted to help- that's all. I don't know if the speed thing is still an issue, which is why I was tentatively offering suggestions as to why that might be happening.

In any case, you clearly are doing something incorrectly, or there would be no issue to begin with. Wasting your time assuring me that you've done everything perfectly is only serving to protect your own ego from whatever perceived slight you think I'm trying to bring on it. I don't have any fancies about proving myself knowledgeable to you- in fact, the things I talked about are relatively simple vBulletin things that any administrator should know and be able to deal with. The things I suggested were only possibilies that I was able to gather at a cursory glance. I wouldn't be able to diagnose this exact problem without either access to the admin panel/database, or cooperation from an administrator. Further, telling me that the problem "goes away by itself" only serves to demonstrate that you don't know what precisely is causing it, nor how to fix it.

Now, step out of your own shoes for a moment, and into mine. I do this stuff for a living, and I've done it on many sites. I've solved problems like these a thousand times over, and for sites much larger and with more problematic databases than this could possibly have. A comic I like is clearly experiencing problems, and their site's contact link isn't working, however, their forum's is. I send an email through sendmessage.php , and then I figure I'll see what the forums are like. I rather like what I see of the community, and I notice a thread talking about problems they are having, with a system I'm intimately familiar with. So, I offer to help, and some self-righteous admin thinks that the best thing to do is insist that everything is fine, and insists that the problems go away on their own. I was only trying to help.

Despite that, I'm still willing to help, assuming you're not so terribly offended by what I've said thus far that you can't bring yourself to allow it. Anyhow, I don't doubt that you did in fact rebuild things, however, what also matters is the order in which you rebuild them. And that order is -not- the order they are in if you go down the page clicking each button. Anyhow, assuming what you've said above is correct, and it's in no way any of the things I suggested, what is your database collation? Sometimes it can get finicky, and depending on your foresight at installation time, you might have collation issues. vBulletin should be latin1 character set with latin1_swedish_ci by default, however, I believe it ends up working much more nicely with utf8/utf8_general_ci .
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #37
Profanity
Quatro Pro
Administrator

More like forum fag/clowntime.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 AM   #38
Nami
ナミ
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopquill View Post
Defensive much? Look, you had a problem, and I'm simply trying to help, by offering suggestions- you must understand that there is nothing in this for me.
Except for typing text walls that do little but stroke your own ego.

I told you when you initially asked that, yes, I had rebuilt the post cache. I was anything but hostile about it. That wasn't good enough for you and you went on to elaborate on why. Don't be butt hurt at finding out that some people do not enjoy having to arbitrarily repeat themselves, especially to arrogant, high-and-mighty nobodies who are clearly only here to swing their dicks about. I don't do this for a living, nor do I claim to be a robust fountain of knowledge when it comes to all things vBulletin. I learn something new every time something goes wrong and still have to ask Gabby (the person who set the forums up) questions all the time.

You're so easily angered over so very little, seem to fancy making far reaching assumptions based on your very limited observations here, and I'm a horrible, self-righteous admin who's not really going to continue humoring you at this point.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #39
Mopquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nami View Post
Except for typing text walls that do little but stroke your own ego.

I told you when you initially asked that, yes, I had rebuilt the post cache. I was anything but hostile about it. That wasn't good enough for you and you went on to elaborate on why. Don't be butt hurt at finding out that some people do not enjoy having to arbitrarily repeat themselves, especially to arrogant, high-and-mighty nobodies who are clearly only here to swing their dicks about. I don't do this for a living, nor do I claim to be a robust fountain of knowledge when it comes to all things vBulletin. I learn something new every time something goes wrong and still have to ask Gabby (the person who set the forums up) questions all the time.

You're so easily angered over so very little, seem to fancy making far reaching assumptions based on your very limited observations here, and I'm a horrible, self-righteous admin who's not really going to continue humoring you at this point.
Then what's your wall of text for? Anyhow, I was only trying to be thorough. Nothing repetitive about asking about order after asking if it was done at all. Like I said, I was here to help. Looks like you have everything covered though. :P

I'm not angry, though I'm sure you'll say what you will. Something's broken, I offer to help you fix it, and then you insist it's not broken. Do what you will with whatever, I'm not gonna humor your bullshit, much as you may project and pretend that is what you're doing with mine. Should you reconsider, my email is in my profile. I might stick around elsewhere for chat, especially regarding Human Revolution.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #40
Monocle
Execute unbeatable force

Send a message via Yahoo to Monocle Send a message via Skype™ to Monocle

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #41
Mopquill

^ Your signature is awesome. XD