• Modification Menu
  • Notes About Bombs and Torpedoes
  • Aircraft Research
  • Crew XP
  • Extra Menu Options
  • Looking Up Information
  • Information on Ground Forces
  • Links
  • Why don't I just play World of Warplanes?
  • Overwritten Post

• eNtaK's Did You Know video

Minimal system requirements
CPU: 2.2 GHz
RAM: 1 Gb
Videocard: Nvidia GeForce 6XXX series or higher; AMD Radeon 1XXX series or higher
Free space: 8 Gb

What is War Thunder?

War Thunder is a Free-To-Play online multiplayer game in Open Beta Test. It is currently an aerial combat MMO featuring major battles set in the period of 1939 to 1953. It started life as World of Planes, but changed its name to distance itself from World of Warplanes by competitor Wargaming. The Closed Beta Test for the game's Ground Forces mode became an Open Beta Test on May 13th, 2014.

The game is available on the Steam platform or through the website set up by the developers Gaijin Entertainment (not to be confused with Gaijin Games; The makers of the Bit.Trip series). It was also released on the European PS4 store on November 29, 2013. Stateside release for PS4 still pending. This Russian Indie studio's previous claims to fame were IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and the additional Free-To-Play Open Beta game Star Conflict. As of 4/17/2014 it is officially supported on Mac OS X.

The playable countries are:
  • Germany
  • Japan
  • Great Britain
  • The USSR
  • The United States.

Unlike games where you have to pick a faction, you can easily switch between which country's planes you fly. Such play is encouraged by daily bonuses to XP and in-game currency for the first win for each country you can play.

Now, before I get into any great detail, let's talk about the elephant in the room for Free-To-Play games: The premium. Just to get it out of the way.

Quick Interface Note:

Above the plane you have selected are little icons.

From this menu you can change which vehicle is in this slot, modify your vehicle's ammunition load-outs (like turning off tracers), spend crew experience (we'll get to that later), apply decals or custom skins in Customization, take a test flight, or see if they have uploaded historical information about this particular vehicle.

Match Types

In Arcade you really only have to worry about two types of matches. I don't have a lot of experience in the other types, but I may add them later:

Ground Strike: You need to destroy all of the enemy's ground units and bases. Aircraft should probably be secondary.

Domination: You need to capture airfields and hold off the enemy from taking them from you.

In-Game Economy (Boring)

War Thunder uses two main currencies: Silver Lions and Golden Eagles. Golden Eagles being the premium currency. To understand how Eagles affect play I've included a few screenshots. The first of which is how much Eagles
currently sell for in real money.

As you can see, you can spend these on a variety of things.

There are a number of premium planes for each country. The ones on the American tree sell for around 250 to 3900 Eagles each between ranks 1 and 3. These may only be purchased with Eagles.

Silver Lions may be purchased for Eagles. The current breakdown of that is included below. You can earn Lions fairly easily just by playing the game.

For a good match on low-rank Arcade mode, you might earn the same amount you would get if you spent 12 Eagles on Lions (this is based on a single sample match played and may not reflect individual experiences). The only way to spend convertible research points is Golden Eagles. You earn these with every match but using them requires a cost in Eagles. The screenshot below demonstrates a minimum conversion.

You can also boost your crews with Eagles, as seen below, but we'll get into crew level and everything a little later.

Now we get into Premium Accounts. The breakdown is provided in the screenshot below, but basically you can also pay a number of Golden Eagles toward getting bonuses for a length of time depending on how many Golden Eagles you put in.

This can give you a little extra push if you think you're a more casual player who wants things maybe a little faster due to other time commitments.

Also keep in mind Squads and Squadrons are different things. Your Squadron is your guild in essence, and costs a sum of 2500 Eagles to start ($14 USD), as listed on the official website. Squads are just groups of two or more people who can go into battle together.

You can also unlock decals before earning their required feats, but it's usually best just to earn those.

Decals may be used in the customization screen where you can apply two of them at a time (4 with premium) to each plane.

Control Modes

So how do you start? Well, first, you should probably set your control mode. There are 4 modes available.
  • Mouse Aim
  • Simplified Controls
  • Realistic Controls
  • Full Aircraft Controls

Mouse Aim: You tilt your plane up and down and side-to-side with the mouse. You can still use flaps and such with the buttons you've mapped them to, but they're mostly unnecessary. Also, the Virtual Instructor tells you that you're going too fast, you dummy. Let off the throttle. This is what I play with because I find it to be the most fun. Recommended for Arcade mode.

Simplified Controls: Not entirely sure, since all it seems to do for me is make the plane maybe a little more difficult to control. From the control types panel: "The player can customize the controls for any device, and the Virtual Instructor helps pilot the aircraft".

Realistic Controls: I'll level with you, I'm just going to include the game's description of this one and the next one, since I don't much understand how real planes work so paraphrasing is folly. "The aircraft controls can be customized for any device, there are more control parameters, and the Virtual Instructor is turned off, but the trim tabs, the radiator controls, the mixture controls, and other components are still controlled automatically."

Full Aircraft Controls: "The pilot chooses any device and controls the complete range of aircraft settings, so nothing stands between the player and his aircraft. This control scheme is meant for real aviation connoisseurs and experts, for those who want to feel like a real pilot." In summation: Good luck taking off. You'll need it.

Some difficulty levels require you to use certain control schemes for them. So keep that in mind. Make sure to go into the controls in the main menu and set them to your desired setting.

Now that we've got your controls all squared let's see about flying in a match. Just mouse over that big button that says To Battle, pick a difficulty, and punch it.

(The little checkboxes beneath the button are for auto-repair, which spends your Lions to repair your planes after a battle, and the one on the right is for replenishing your ammunition after a battle. There are reasons to uncheck them, but I have not had them explained to my satisfaction)

next post

Last edited by Raven Serpent; 05-27-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Raven Serpent is offline   Reply With Quote