F@NB0Y$

F@NB0Y$ (http://fanboy-forum.com/index.php)
-   Sony (http://fanboy-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Last of Us (http://fanboy-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4521)

Penakoto 12-10-2011 07:10 PM

The Last of Us

Looks pretty cool, and it's by Naughty Dog, so it's probably going to be pretty great.

Siz 12-10-2011 07:32 PM

a game set post 2012.

heheheh.

Nuva 12-10-2011 07:39 PM

The voice for the teenager sounds insanely familiar.

Sup Drake with a beard.

Siz 12-10-2011 07:42 PM

dead island mixed with uncharted

Penakoto 12-10-2011 07:51 PM

Hopefully better than Dead Island was.

Siz 12-10-2011 07:52 PM

Dead Isalnd was bad?

Mayu_Zane 12-10-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siz (Post 424083)
Dead Isalnd was bad?

Dead Island is terrible if you are all alone and you went into the jungle part.

Penakoto 12-10-2011 08:01 PM

I hated it, but people also hated my opinion of hating it.

It was a terrible game, really. Open world with not much to do and nowhere interesting to explore, gameplay that was without depth and very repetitive, nothing resembling a story, everything else not really worth mentioning.

"But OMG co-op" almost any game can be made fun when playing with a buddy. Even if it's the worst game of the year, you could probably squeeze out a bit of fun from the co-op if you had a good partner.

Raven Serpent 12-10-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penakoto (Post 424088)
I hated it, but people also hated my opinion of hating it.

It was a terrible game, really. Open world with not much to do and nowhere interesting to explore, gameplay that was without depth and very repetitive, nothing resembling a story, everything else not really worth mentioning.

"But OMG co-op" almost any game can be made fun when playing with a buddy.

Yeah, I need to see about some others for when I finish Borderlands co-op. Hopefully something my crap computer can run.

woopyfrood 12-10-2011 08:04 PM

Yet another zombie game :|

Mayu_Zane 12-10-2011 08:24 PM

I really don't care if a game involves zombies/mutants/vampires/slug-people as long as it's well-made and fun. If the game's full of bugs, has little excitement with shitty characters and terrible control mechanics then I'm out.

Inagi 12-10-2011 08:50 PM

This looks really fun and interesting. Woo.

Nuva 12-10-2011 08:54 PM

Pretty much Mayu nailed it on the head.

But I am HOPING it is survival horror and not Uncharted with zombies. BOTH would be good but I want to see how Naughty Dog would handle the survival horror genre.

Penakoto 12-10-2011 09:02 PM

I'm still waiting on my survival emphasised survival horror game, with shelter building, looting, open world... something like the movies.

This very likely won't be that, but hey it looks like it could have a good story with character development and stuff.

Nuva 12-10-2011 10:09 PM

IT'S TERRA FROM TEEN TITANS

Knew I recognized that voice.

Its Ashley Johnson by the way.

Monocle 12-11-2011 12:19 AM

Looks like it could be good, but have to wait for the gameplay. Hopefully when they say survival horror they mean it, and you don't have the same arsenal as Drake. From the look of it you'll have the scavenge for bullets though so that's good.

I am getting bored of fast-running, infected, humanoid things though.

Mega 12-11-2011 05:34 AM

So it's the last 3rd act of every uncharted game? :awesome:

femonocle 12-11-2011 08:21 AM

Looks fucking awesome. Getting really distracted by how the girl is pretty much just Ellen Page and the guy is just Old!Drake though.
and yeah, what monocle said. Gotta see the gameplay before I get too excited. I got pretty badly stung by Dead Island, getting so hyped by the trailer and then discovering it was just a really shittily written let's-kill-dudes-with-your-arsenal-of-baseball-bats simulator. If this doesn't turn out to be actual survival horror (since nobody seems to know what that means anymore), I will be grumpy as fuck. But probably still buy it because I AM A SHEEP.

Monocle, slow zombies don't make games scary (for me at least). Are you scared by the zombies in RE? No, they're just there. Really annoying hallway obstructions. Are you scared by crimson heads? YES. Of course it can go the other way like L4D and fast zombies just feel like cannon fodder, but if you do it right, then you can get the OH SHIT OH SHIT RUNNING AWAY FROM ZOMBIES feeling right.

Saying that, I like a mix of slow and fast, like in Dead Island. It makes sense (ish) scientifically which is a big part of my zombie enjoyment. I'm not huge on special zombies though, so I'm wondering if there'll be any in this.

also wondering what the fuck is going on with its head. Why is it megamind?

Tombstone 12-11-2011 08:30 AM

I'm more excited for Fortnite then this. Fortnite looks like actual survival horror, with base building/supply gathering during the day and then holding off waves of weird zombies at the night. Though it is super cartoony.

If this is good, I will probably get it though!

femonocle 12-11-2011 08:35 AM

but being cartoony will take away the horror part. :T

Protom-lad 12-11-2011 09:15 AM

This looks potentially neat.

Although I've never actually gotten into the Uncharted games. Uncharted One was just kinda repetitive and I never got that far.

Tombstone 12-11-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femonocle (Post 424201)
but being cartoony will take away the horror part. :T

like hell it will that goddamn shark in Banjo Kazooie is still terrifying. If they can pull it off well and I get in a situation where those damn things bust down all my shit and nowhere is safe I'll probably be like "oh fuck!"

Nuva 12-11-2011 11:34 AM

I'm honestly not sure to this day whether or not the eel in Super Mario 64 was supposed to be that scary.

Mr. Dogma 12-11-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocle (Post 424145)
I am getting bored of fast-running, infected, humanoid things though.

Me too. I am sick of that shit. Give me my slow shambly zombies that aren't dead dead until you destroy the brain.

Nuva 12-11-2011 12:29 PM

Dead Rising makes me appreciate slow zombies. A lot. Just goes to show yah that an army of the bastards can be fun to engage against.

Fast zombies are nice. They're a challenge. And sometimes, very rarely, can be intimidating. But by now they're very overdone.

Standing Freddy 12-11-2011 12:37 PM

Yeah, here's hoping this is much better than Dead Island. That game was a disappointing.

KeroroCanti 12-11-2011 12:41 PM

I'll really have to see some actual gameplay before I can make any judgements on this, because it looks like it could go either way. And on the subject of zombies, I think it would be pretty interesting for a game to take the voodoo servant approach.

femonocle 12-11-2011 12:45 PM

With slow zombies you need to be pretty underpowered to make it hard/scary, and I think maybe first person because 3rd person places you above them/detaches you from them. You kind of need to be up close and powerless to appreciate a slow zombie.
Zombies didn't mean anything to me in Dead Rising because there's just so many and you can kill them really easily and jump on their heads (edit: and also put silly masks on them and spray them with paint. Which is awesome, but not scary). It only kind of got hairy in the maintenance tunnels. I loved Dead Rising but it wasn't scary. So zombies need to go in a different direction for survival horror, I think.

It would be interesting to see more stuff about turning into a zombie, too. How you deal with the infection and DOOM. Like the diary of that guy from RE who said his skin was falling off and he wanted to eat the guy's face, that was pretty cool. Outbreak attempted infection levels but that was kind of boring and useless.

I HAVE A LOT OF OPINIONS ON ZOMBIES OKAY

Nuva 12-11-2011 12:52 PM

Except I don't think monsters can make a game scary. The moment you show a monster, the full monster, that's it, the fear is gone. If we went for the JAWS approach, and kept the monster hidden from the player, maybe it would be scary. Relying on atmosphere is my idea of what a game should rely on to scare a player.

It's kinda why I played both Dead Space games and honestly didn't even jump. Both great games, but bloody hell, it was later when I learned that the monsters of the game were based on car crash victims that I was a bit disturbed.

Zombies can't be scary. Hell, in RE1 remake that I played recently, I found one of the moments I was terrified was because I could barely see the monster clearly, but then when he came into view, it wasn't really that intimidating anymore.

At least that's what I think is scary. The sense of not knowing what you're up against.

And then there's weapons. No game will be scary if you give the player a fucking shotgun.

Siz 12-11-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by femonocle (Post 424284)
I HAVE A LOT OF OPINIONS ON ZOMBIES OKAY

OKAY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuva (Post 424291)
it was later when I learned that the monsters of the game were based on car crash victims that I was a bit disturbed.

enlightening...and frightening for that matter..